Floor Coverings International Employee Reviews

Good entry level job
Sales / Design Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 2, 2018
Sales people receive a lot of training, but must follow a strict presentation that many customers simply don't have the time to listen to. It makes sense how they try to steer the sales call, but it also makes you not only sound like a robot and sometimes frustrates the customer. They do quality work, but not very competitive. Consequently, there is a lot of turnover.
Pros
Good entry level job with a lot of training
Cons
Structured sales presentation and very high margins - not very competitive
management
Director - New Franchise Development (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJune 4, 2018
Senior Leadership - cares about employees and fosters positive corporate culture and work environment. Feels like a start up but always striving for continuous improvement.
Pros
executive team
Cons
limited HR structure
Small but conducive work place
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 4, 2018
Management understood what I was looking for as a student and were very helpful in assisting me to meet my goals which also motivated me to devote my time to work there in any role they asked me to.
Pros
Great people. Great management.
Cons
Small and limited activities.
Great part time work for students
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 24, 2018
The job is great for students because it's usually only on the weekends. The shifts vary in terms of hours and it's seasonal work, but it's fairly relaxed and commission is great. If you're good with talking to people and working by yourself, this is the perfect job. The jobs are all at different sites, but never further than 30 minutes from the Columbia area.
Pros
Relaxed environment, work by yourself
Cons
Rapidly growing, energetic franchise company
Call Center Auditor/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAMarch 7, 2018
Professional, high energy environment with a very driven management team. Training and development provided to new franchise owners was extremely organized and thorough.
Pros
Lunches provided two weeks of the month
Decent Entry-Level Sales Position
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  USAMarch 1, 2018
Most appointments are scheduled for you.
The sales system is easy to learn and replicate.
Management can be lacking as most locations have little staff and the franchise owner does most of the managing.
Corporate feels more like a cult.
Almost always the most expensive flooring company, so can be difficult to sell.
Pros
Don't spend much time in an office
Cons
Competitor pricing is always lower
Not too hard of work with good pay
Technician for carpet cleaning and restoration (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 20, 2018
Downside is low hours and not enough work. Also my manager was horrible at his job. Can't say for other locations but the location I work at is no good and leaving soon.
Pros
20% commission
Cons
Almost no work.
Phenomenal Sales system, great support network for learning.
Design Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 21, 2017
Being part of a small, start up business is challenging. I wore many hats in the beginning with varying degrees of responsibility. Overall I love the challenge and am motivated by the success of growing the brand. Typical work day consists of rechecking the days appointment schedule and adjusting the schedule to reflect any needs left from the day before. Then a touch base call with the owner to discuss that days plan and review previous days appointments/ results. After that running any and all appointments for the day. Any space in between is used for Open proposal follow up and/ or open lead follow up to schedule new appointments. As with any sales, the hardest part is to ensure that I am training as much as I am running appointments. The best part is definitely selling a job and following through the installation process to completion and seeing the home owner happy at the end. Management is amazing!! Never have i felt so supported.
Pros
Great work environment. Possibly the best owner to ever work for.
Cons
Commission based.
A good place with good people to work with.
Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Colchester, VTOctober 12, 2015
Everyone that I worked with was very nice. When it came to work we were all very productive and got the job done. I like how they let me take lead on jobs and had me deal with clients to find out how they would like the job done.
Pros
Great company with good people.
Cons
To far from home/ not cost effective for me
Challenging and rewarding career!
Owner (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 16, 2015
I start my day very early organizing the mobile showroom to ensure the correct samples were on the truck for the customers I had to see that day.
I review my schedule for new appointments and cold call leads I received from lead generation sources. If I had no appointments I would develop my own marketing strategies to promote and grow my business. I spent a lot of time networking with other business leaders in the same industry.
I also spent a lot of time doing business to business cold calling. Built relationships with home builders, remodelers, designers and flooring suppliers.
The hardest part of the job was taking a new business and carving out a niche in a very competitive industry. As a small business owner competing against multi-billion dollar corporations made it very challenging to be price competitive.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how happy people were with the selections they made and the new d├ęcor that I was able to help them design.
Pros
Set my own work days/hourss.
Cons
No vacation time. Not a steady paycheck.
Great Employer
Design Associate (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 22, 2014
In home sales of flooring installations, with both motivated and unmotivated customers.
Cons
No benefits package
Owner
Owner (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 17, 2014
Everyday I get to meet and work with wonderful people or businesses who are looking to upgrade their floors. I go to the home and measure the project area then make flooring recommendations based on lifestyle, color, texture and light. Once a floor is selected then I in charge of the order process and project management. I arrange for delivery and installation.

The hardest part of the job is customers don't realize how expensive flooring can be and educating them on the costs and labor involved to install a new floor can be a challenge.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to help businesses or homeowners pick out a new look and see their satisfaction when it is complete.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Straight commission
Great learning experience; wonderful training staff and team support
Design Associate/Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 23, 2014
Floor Coverings International is a great company. I trained under their franchisee program, featuring new franchisees from all around the U.S. I interned with the company from May 2013 until January 2014. I helped boost sales and revenue by coordinating appointments, making mostly residential sales.
I was offered to stick with them after graduation, however I am seeking experience with a company that allows for further career development (the average cost of setting up as a franchisee is $500K)

The experience gave me valuable sales skills and improved my overall collegiate experience through applying what I learned in the classroom. These skills include prospecting and making calls to set up leads, gaining networking experience through establishing business-to-business relationships (with property management companies)
Pros
Relatively long internship; allowed for useful professional experience and gave me more direction.
Cons
Limited job advancement opportunities
Warehouse associate
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAJanuary 5, 2013
Decent paying temporary summer job. I learned how to properly set up displays for customers veiwing and organize the warehouse. This was mainly a labor job so if you like sorting and lifting heavy boxes all day this is the job for you.
Pros
hour lunch breaks