Floor and Decor Employee Reviews

Review
Coordinator/Team Lead - Merchandise Handler (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 18, 2018
Long hours, but great pay and great work culture.
Lots of opportunities for advancement.
Management truly cares about their people.
Currently a lot of overtime opportunities, but I know it will not be a permanent thing.
Great Company
Customer Delivery Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, GAJuly 24, 2018
Floor & Decor is a great company that values their employees. I've only worked for the company for 17 months but within that small time frame, I've been promoted twice. Management recognizes hard work and talent and are instrumental in assisting the employees in developing career paths. Great company!
Pros
Benefits, Office Culture
dont waste your time.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pinellas County, FLFebruary 13, 2019
Awful place. Has no business. You'll be standing around with nothing to do. Awful management. No place for advancement. Was there for over a year with promises of full time. Kept hiring new people. Lots of kids right out of high school here too.
Great placed to work if you want more than minimum wage
Tile Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 9, 2019
Can be both quick and slow paced at times of your shift. High pay compared to the area and most jobs located in. Very wide range of benefits. Can be stressful and physically strenuous. Overall great personality mix between employees and management. Great store manager. Set hours are very hard to obtain, but management tries to be flexible due to respect for your personal life.
Pros
1 hour lunch, great overall personality, positive workplace, good management
Cons
Physical strenuous, shifts sometime seems long due to slow customer flow
Nice part time job
Command Center Associate/Floor Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Arvada, CONovember 13, 2018
Nice part-time, good paying job. Lots of responsibility. Fast paced environment, nice co-workers. Lots of advancement options. Good benefits. Good place to work.
Amazing company
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 7, 2018
I have been working for this company for about two years, and it's the best company for advancing your career and building your skills in a warehouse and customer service since it is a working warehouse. You will learn great life skills such as driving a reach/forklift/stock picker. You will learn how to do warehouse work from picking an order to the front end helping a customer pick the perfect grout to match their tile. There are so many opportunity to grow that it would be a mistake not to look into working here.
Pros
Opportunity to grow, community, management
Cons
Great company where I learned many valuable skills
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 30, 2018
Reasonable career advancement opportunities, comprehensive training, and a fun environment. I learned many valuable skills- from product knowledge and applications to sales and management techniques.
Great place to work.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GASeptember 26, 2018
Floor and Decor is a great place to shop and work. The executive leadership is wonderful and comprised of the best. The store managers are well trained. The company is growing so there is tons of room for advancement. Customer service is important to all who work there.
Was once great, management has failed the employees of this company.
Pro Services Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 3, 2018
This was an amazing place to work... once. Management has failed the employees of an amazing company. No work responsibility. Un fair advancements. People being promoted to placate unhappy employees resulting in untrained and unqualified managers. Too often the stronger had to pick up the slack and were not fairly compensated for their dedication in time and professionalism to this company.
Pros
Experience, benefits.
Cons
Management is more stressful than the job. Unequal pay and advancement.
Do Not Recommend To Young People
Tile and Installation Materials Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buford, GASeptember 13, 2018
Worked here for 2 years, 1 year full-time. The work is basically paid slavery. Unrealistic expectations, even when short-staffed. Management doesn't train you, you are expected to train yourself. At first I enjoyed going into work every day, but that changed after the company went Public. Then it became all about $ and not about the people. When you don't make budget the managers don't get their bonuses, so they put more stress on you while they sit upstairs doing paperwork and God knows what else. Besides management, the people are great.

Customers are often friendly and fun to work with. The job wouldn't have been so bad if the physical labor wasn't so extensive. Mind you, I am a young male in college, and this job was exhausting. I had days where I would close (1pm-10pm scheduled) and I wouldn't leave until 11:00-11:30pm, drenched in sweat. If you're not a hard worker, this job is definitely not for you, considering most associates make less than $12/Hour.

The top (Regional and above) management only ever criticized the store management, who then criticized subordinates. I never once had a person of upper management say hi, ask me how I was, much less shake my hand or look my way. You were expected to somewhat morph into what the company wanted you to be in order to move into a management position.

The 95% of employees are taken advantage of, and rewarded very minimal for their hard work. For example: Their way of "motivating" you is giving you a patch that represents good work for a task, customer recommendation, or something you may have done well. 5 of these
  more... patches gets you $50 (taxed) added to your paycheck. Mind you, after working there 2 years, I received a total of 13 patches. Thanks for the $70 (maybe?) Floor and Decor.

The employee turnover was extensive, especially after the replacement of a popular manager. I saw upwards of 40 employees come and go in a 2 year period. The store in Buford is simply too big and too busy to have 1 person in each department at any given time. A store like that should have 60-80 employees, yet they (corporate) complained about not making sales and management cut hours to help compensate, making our miserable lives even worse.

Bottom line, this company does not care about its employees like it should, and management does not lead as they should, they just bark orders like subordinates are corporate slaves. If you are outspoken, management will isolate you and practically force you to quit so they can replace you with someone that will do whatever they ask.

It's sad that they are still doing so well though, maybe some time down the road they will realize how unhappy their employees are and actually do something about it. Until then, I personally have moved on. Sorry for the novel, but I feel very strongly about this company's negatives, and believe this will help others my age refrain from working jobs like this. Other than the things above, I learned a lot about the flooring and building industry, and appreciate the opportunity Floor and Decor gave me. I now know what not to look for in my future career.
Pros
Good people to work with, customers are often pleasant
Cons
Poor management, underpaid, unrealistic sales expectations, management is judgmental and berating at times
Employees Try, Corporate Does Not
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 29, 2018
Most of the issues stem from corporate policies trying to keep as much money as possible for them. It makes it hard to do your job properly when you can't help someone because policy or procedure prevents you. Also for what goes on and the typical cost of living in the areas they are located in make it hard to survive. If corporate actually starts to care about their employees and not their vacations then I would actually recommend this place.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Benefits and raises are laughable
Wonderful employees and management
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 1, 2018
It is a fabulous place to work, from dealing with the customers, managers and employees. Great team players. Beautiful and clean store. The hardest part of the job is lifting and inconsistent work schedule.
Pros
Employees, management, sick days, medical, vacations, 401K
Cons
Heavy Lifting and inconsistant schedules.
Family Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 22, 2018
The learning curve for this job can be huge but they are willing to provide ample training post hiring. Hardest part is the slow days, they're very slow. The people there are great and most customers are easy going and excited to look around. Management makes up a good part of the staff so it can be tricky getting the right kind of manager or making sure they all do their part without having to be asked to do it.
Pros
1 hr lunches are pretty common
Cons
Long hours for most associates with sometimes very little to do.
sink or swim type of place. no training
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 21, 2018
management didn't give direction. promoted based on favoritism. no structure. easy going atmospheres. no high pressure sales. people are nice. management is my only concern
Pros
schedule flexibility
Cons
salary
Overworked. Underpaid.
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 19, 2018
Poor management and no room for advancing career. Task would pile on with limited resources to accomplish any tasks. Goals of the company or team would never be expressed to employees.
great place to work ,great manement
stone and deco manager (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJAugust 19, 2018
the place is great ,sell in a great environment,how to install wood to stone flooring ,,how to finish and maintain all floor and wall tile or woood or stone ,there was nothing hard about working there ,great people from top to bottom
Pros
bonus, raises, trainning, hours, life balance
Cons
Always trying to stay positive
Chief Executive Merchant/General Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 27, 2018
Floor and Decor as a company was a great place to work at and as a whole, has great people. Unfortunately as the company became larger and well known, politics finally took effect and many lost their position in order to make room for friends and even family. It's unfortunate as the company lost many great leaders for many reasons.

As a company, floor and decor has great values and will be an industry leader for many years to come. As I do miss working at FnD, I removed myself from a great deal of stress and injust.

I'm an individual that will always find a motive to remain positive and not allow my team to see my emotions in a negative manner. As I was successful in doing so, I've never, in my 20 years of management, been treated with such disrespect and borderline biased treatment against me based on my background.

Now, keep in mind that my comments are based on one individual at a junior executive level that went out of his way to remove a few senior managers with similar backgrounds in order to bring in his buddies who coincidentally were from a similar background of a different sort.

Now that the venting has passed, let's remove the last 1 1/2 years with the company and my relocating of multiple times for this indivual and focus on what brought me towards Floor and Decor and why I stayed for so many years.

Floor and Decor is a unique type of business which gives you a true business ownership feel. You are able to make decisions based on your customer's needs without having to go through leaps and bounds; you cater to your demographics. The potential growth
  more... that Floor and Decor has is currently at it's beginning stages allowing multiple paths for promotional growth. If you're relocatable, your options are almost endless. Until this day I miss FnD but not one day goes by that I regret my decision of leaving. My biggest regret was leaving the region I was originally hired onto and accepting a lateral move in which forced me to leave the company I loved so much.

If you choose to join the team, it's very likely you will love your job but there are a couple of regions in which you may not, unless you're on of those that like to join the "good ol' boys" club in order to move ahead in life. Unfortunately, I'm a bit old school and like to have my actual talent do the talking. Too bad this time around it didn't work out for me.
Laid back environment, poor management
Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 4, 2018
Coworkers are the best. Laid back environment for the most part. Great insurance benefits offered but pay not enough to live comfortably unless your in management.
productive and advancement
Pro Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 21, 2019
I was lucky to start as a part time employee and moved up to management in a few years of being there. I felt this is a good company that is growing and moving up in the industries
Pros
had lunches proved for the team several times
Cons
health care was to expensive
Creative workplace with not so creative managers
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 23, 2018
Workplace allows you to help customers design their whole home, so you have the opportunity to allow your designing skills shine. One thing that I did not like about the company, was the lack of communication between managers and associates. If there was an opportunity for a promotion for a managerial position, only the few that the managers thought we qualified were notified. Then all of a sudden, we'd have a new manager.
Pros
Creative Environment, Decent Pay
Cons
Micromanagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Floor and Decor. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight