Florence Crittenton Agency Employee Reviews

Educating adolescents in states custody
Agency Nurse /Director of Health Services (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 24, 2018
Enjoyed health education and working with pregnant teens in states custody.
Very rewarding job but benefits and compensation made making a living difficult
Not sure how I feel about my job experience.
Nurse/Health Coach (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TN 37909April 14, 2018
Environment is very hard and stressful in which to work. Coworkers were really nice and friendly as far as personalities go. I felt like I never did hardly anything right; however, I had never previously worked in that type of environment. It was a learning experience.
Pros
Nice coworkers. Weekends off. Nice benefits.
Cons
Base salary to low. Two much work and responsibility for clients for one person.
The clients were the best part
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 3, 2018
Honestly, I'm surprised that this place is still operational. The kiddos in the care here are given little more than a babysitting for their time that they spend here as staff is poorly trained, ill equipped, and mostly uneducated. Staff were hostile and argued with clients and so many rules (laws) were broken which endangered the clients. The higher-ups don't care as long as they get their check. FCA has such a bad rep in the mental health community and now I know why.
A committed professional staff dedicated to making a positive difference with the clients we served.
Alcohol and Drug Counselor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 30, 2017
Provided individual and group counseling to at risk youth. Engaged in and promoted creative expression. Provided staff support in the milieu. Provided redirection when needed. Taught parenting class on Sundays prior to visitation. Completed necessary paperwork and documentation. Worked closely with the Department of Children's Services. Attended workforce development training.

How to work with youths with major trauma and incorporate that into my group and individual counseling.

The agency was undergoing a new agency culture and management staff changed a lot during my time there.

The hardest part of the job was trying to deescalate client behaviors to prevent client on client and client on staff violence.

The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the changes the youths made toward their sobriety and commitment to pro-social behavior on the 'outs'.
Pros
Supportive management, support of unconventional therapeutic modalities, example; Red Shirt for Domestic Violence education for the girls.
Cons
Stressfiul environment, clients perpetrating violence on each other and staff.
Florence Crittenton Review
Senior Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 16, 2017
Overall, I believe that the residential facility could provide more services and be open-minded to change in order to benefits the needs of the adolescents that we serve. There are not many people within management that really care even if the ideas are presented to them to change. This job can be stressful and not really prepared to know what we are walking into daily. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to talk with the adolescents and see why they are there and how to help them.
Summary
Administrative Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 3, 2017
PRO - The campus is very nice and the facility is very pleasing to the eye which makes it a nice working space. We have paid days off and holidays. We are offered insurance.
CON - There is NO teamwork. Rate of pay is low. There are clic's among the staff.
Pros
Paid days off
Cons
NO teamwork.
wonderful place
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 12, 2016
This company did good things for teenagers. It is a rehab center for abused, addicted, mistreated teens. My job was to make sure everything ran smoothly. If the teens broke anything it was my job to fix it quickly and without disrupting as much as possible. The hardest thing about my job was trying to work without upsetting any of the clients. The most enjoyable things were watching the lives of the clients change for the better
Great place to work for Residential experience
Medical Transpor (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 9, 2016
Very stressful environment. Low wages, lack of staff. Great place to get your foot in the door if you want Residential. Staff does not stay longer than a few months. Kids are usual out of control. Goes through months of ups and downs. I have had a good experience. Moved up within the company in 4 months. decent benefits.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
not enough staff or pay
Assisting young female clients in States Custody
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 27, 2015
I enjoyed working at Florence Crittenton. My experience helped me to advance myself at Montgomery Village Ministry. A typical day at work would be conducting room checks, teaching a social skills class, escorting clients on field trips and to home visits, parents visits and chores.
Management had no concern for a young girls life. It was all about filling a bed. These girls came in with all kinds of issues and people who are employed in a job setting like that must have a concern for life. That was the founders reason.
My co-workers did not care either. It was all about the paycheck.
The hardest part of the job was just showing up for work, because no one cared.
The most enjoyable part was that some of the girls learned from me and they respected me as well as me respecting them and they moved on to a better life.
Pros
Fun time, lunch and school for the girls
Cons
Watching them hurt and no one cared
Could be a really nice program, was in fact a few years ago.
Youth Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 3, 2015
The program was beneficial to the Client's they serve. Now the program is falling out of grace. No communication from Management to Workers. People being hired are causing more problems than they are helping to solve.
Poor management, no consistency
Direct Care Youth Worker, Level II (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 23, 2014
Co workers did not stick to rules set for the clients. Management was not around to help with chaotic situations, WITH THE EXCEPTION of 1 supervisor, that they drove away by being disrespectful towards her. Spent most of my time with my head buried in paperwork, marking the girl's score for that hour, so, in return, i was not able to efficiently "be there" for the clients. Inconsistent schedule and hours. Expectations to stay late and work off days, even though you work 3rd shift and weekends. This facility changed my entire outlook on my college degree. I saw the caseworkers exhausted, having no help, tired and frustrated. The clients were not being given the attention and support they needed from staff since staff had to constantly write notes and scores their entire shift (this caused the girls to get away with many things and many things went "unnoticed"). Higher level staff blamed lower level for many of the girl's actions, even though lower level did EVERYTHING in their power to do things right. Upper management became upset with the direct supervisor because she called the police after a client SLAMMED a staff member's head into the wall AND caused a concussion. They were upset because the supervisor did not call the chain of supervisors to get permission to call the police (are you kidding me?! This client just assaulted a staff member!) which mind you, half of the time they NEVER answered your calls so staff would be required to make immediate, best possible decisions which we would later be reprimanded for. HR was not helpful in getting required documents  more... to staff and they are disrespectful towards the direct care workers, as they do not understand the situations the workers are put in. Overall, this was literally the worst job I've ever had and I will NEVER work in direct care again, not because of the clients but because of the way this facility is ran (which the girls constantly talked about and knew what staff would let them get away with what and how unprofessional the agency is).  less
Pros
overtime pay
Cons
unprofessional, unorganized, no help from upper level staff and management, inconsistent
overworked and under appreciated.
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 26, 2014
Every day was different. I learned humility and how to manage the appropriate way due to the poor leaders in administration. My co-workers and residential team pulled together to give the clients the best possible treatment with what little guidance we had. The hardest part of my job was getting upper management to understand that the girls needed more than what they were willing to offer. The most enjjoyable part of my job was talking and learning from the girls that i worked with every day.
Good co-workers, but stressful due to ever changing management.
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 11, 2014
I worked 3rd shift and most evenings consisted of copying and setting up paperwork for all shifts for the next day, as well as doing 20 minute checks on sleeping clients. We were also required to wake the clients up, walk them to breakfast and then walk them to the on-site school. The best learning experience this job has to offer is the ability to think on your feet. Since it was 3rd shift, we didn't have the supervisors around when difficult situations arose, whether it be with a client or some other type of problem. A big part of the job is also having good communication with you co-workers to uphold the rules set by the facility. My co-workers were always willing to help out and we had really good rapport. The hardest part of the job is the stress. We dealt with 32 teenage girls with behavioral issues and it takes a lot to deal with all of the emotions (mainly anger) that they throw at you. The management team isn't very effective at this facility. We were constantly thrown into chaos due to supervisors leaving frequently and then having to wait for administration to hire new supervisors who then in turn would completely change all the rules that clients had to follow. The most enjoyable thing about this job was my co-workers and and getting to know the clients and being able to help them solve problems in a productive way.
Pros
Co-workers, helping clients and benefits.
Cons
Ineffective management and low pay
Was a hectic and unpleasent place to work.
School Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 24, 2014
In the department I worked in the management was all over the place no one worked together. Groups of friends were formed among employees and if you were not in the right group you did not feel safe in your job. The manager over my department was more interested in his personal life and new engagement than to deal with important work tasks. Did not always get a lunch break but they deducted it from your paycheck.
Pros
I worked with kids in state custady and they were wonderful.
Cons
NO lunches but pay was deducted and unprofessional staff
At that time it was a level 2 all girl facility between ages 13-18 and each day was a new venture.
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 16, 2012
After clocking in a count of clients was done upon each shift arrival & every 20 minutes therafter. Definitely had to be on my toes for watching teenage girls with emotional problems, alcohol, drug, pregnancy, etc. issues. Learned really how smart these young ladies could be on manipulation and getting their way, if allowed. Each day was a new challenge; sometimes each hour. Learned how to document each client's chart with proper documentation which could be used in court issues. Could be very stressful at times. Could not use restraints; however, staff would have to handle each situation based on client's response. I was on a part-time and an "as needed" basis, so it made me more flexible to work with more clients on different floors with various issues. I got to work in various positions and cover several job classifications. Responsible for monitoring each girl at all times. Did get to go to movies based on no consequence notices (a reward status) as a treat, got to go shopping, and interact in inside and outside fun activitieswith clients and other staff. I would say that the hardest part was based on the "cons: listed below. It was difficult to learn how each staff member worked on each shift and how they ran things. Overall, I felt it was a rewarding job because it was working to help to hopefully better one's life for the future.
Pros
food was good. employees paid low cost to eat. paid time and a half for overtime and holiday work.
Cons
at that time, i would have to say that a definite training system for any new employee should have been mandatory.
Highs do not balance the lows
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 19, 2011
High turnover rate makes it inconsistent and unorganized to work, lack of communication,and chaotic. Hectic hours makes it hard to live a balanced life.
Pros
job security, minimal supervision, overtime opportunities
Cons
chaotic, unorganized, inconsistent, high turnover rate
Best job I ever had!
Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 21, 2011
I would like to have had this job for the rest of my life. I know it did not have the most in terms of monetary benefits however the overall satisfaction from the job more than compensated for the lack of pay. I worked as the Financial Manager and found the company and the Board of Directors to be wonderful to work with. I would return to work for them again at any time.