Florida Atlantic University Employee Reviews

Loved working in the education atmosphere while working as a student.
DEPARTMENT LIASON/ ADMIN. SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLApril 8, 2019
Great university to study and work. It was wonderful to work at a place where I was studying and being able to do special projects in my course of study. There were alot of advantages when working with your professors.
Pros
Free food, flexibility
Cons
Graduated so I had to move on
i was paid with experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLApril 7, 2019
overall great i got to interact with good people and learned all that i could to further my career . i learned a lot about myself and how to be a leader .
Pros
free food and great work outs
Cons
worked in the hot sun all day
Role at FAU Athletics
Athletics (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLApril 4, 2019
New athletic leadership has turned a vibrant, young, motivated work environment into a dysfunctional, disconnected, uncollaborative division with morale that decreases by the day
Onboarding new residents
GME Academic Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLApril 3, 2019
After Match day we onboard and hire all the new incoming residents.
Support the mission, goals and objectives of the Office of Graduate Medical Education.
Stay away from FAU Housing Department
Housing department (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLApril 2, 2019
Stay away from FAU Housing Department. From my first day to my last day (a few months later) I was overworked and unsupported. Training was difficult to obtain and I had to constantly ask for the training needed to be successful at my job.

Anyone applying to FAU should know that work/life balance is boosted about on the FAU website. The housing department’s executives do not care about this and will make it mandatory to work a month straight, 10-12 hours a day, without a day off, several times a year. If you complain about this, or ask for compensation time, they will try to manipulate you by saying “We are here for the kids”. We were even told that “There is no compensation time” for weekends worked (there are departments on campus that do give compensation time). Executives have said that “Work/life balance is an illusion... it doesn’t exist”.

Communication with executives was difficult via email and largely went unanswered. You need to consistently follow up regarding even the simplest questions (sometimes for up to a month). Even verbal communications were made difficult. When executives were asked straight forward questions the response was regularly “I’ll have to get back to you”. If you didn’t follow up, multiple times (again up to a month) you will most likely not get an answer.

The only bright spot in this department are the hard working student employees.
Pros
Working with student employees
Cons
Lack of training, mandatory overtime without compensation, lack of communication with upper management
Competitive Work Place
Executive Secretary to the Dean & Building Manager (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMarch 21, 2019
Florida Atlantic University is a high paced work environment that for the most part is a good career path. The benefits out weight the lack of compensating the staff.
Pros
Benefits, time off, paid education.
Cons
Focus on ensuring faculty is compensated and not staff
The most enjoyable part of my workday
Assistant Director of Safety and Security (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMarch 20, 2019
Everyone says hello to each other in the hall way. Colleagues assist each other with projects or offer viable options to solve these projects. The most enjoyable part of working at FAU is working with staff member who care how you relate to your work.
Pros
Team players
Cons
Not enough upper echelon support unless something is wrong
Great work environment
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMarch 13, 2019
Being a student assistant at Florida Atlantic University allowed me to not only get experience in the workforce but it also allowed me the opportunity to work together with others. I was able to assist managers, coworkers and staff to provide the best in helping Florida Atlantic University run smoothly.
Pros
Relaxed environment, helpful coworkers
Great Place to Work
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMarch 10, 2019
The people, culture, and environment was great. The opportunity to advance and pay were the lowest of all State University Systems but yet we pulled some of the best stats of all universities. They don't reward the right people for their work. If they shook up management and got rid of special interest Directors, this place would be awesome and I would go running back.
Pros
People, culture, students
Cons
Self interest directors and management
Its cab Be great
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 28, 2019
I guess Faultiest have great place to work but it needs a better management in some areas , overall its very good place to work but the salaries are not enough to live in Boca.
Research Oriented
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 17, 2019
Job is to conduct Academic research as a graduate student. I learned how to manage my time between my academics and research work. I have developed perspective to look at the problem when given. The job is enjoyable as long as the academic adviser is cool and is available for you all the times.
Technology Program (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 12, 2019
FAU has many departments where one could work. Current leadership is amazing. Promotes excellency in work ethics. Benefits are mandated by the State but there is local flexibility in each college/department.
Pros
great institution, great leadership
Cons
not many cons....
Good place but low paid
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 7, 2019
As this is a school you get a chance to educate yourself but the money you get paid as a Graduate Teaching/Research assistance is peanuts. It does not even pay your living cost.
Pros
Education
Cons
Less paid
I was a fun interactive job environment.
Challenge Course Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 2, 2019
Challenge Course Facilitators develop and facilitate group development programs based on client goals. Group activities are tailored based on individual goals.
Overall a good working environment
Assistant Vice President/Budget and Financial (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 1, 2019
In the six years I worked there it was a good environment and the base employees working there were all good team players. However, as you got higher in the organization, politics became the driving force and if you did not accept their way of doing business you were driving out.
Pros
working with student and employees
Cons
Too much Politics and hiring of friends and relatives
Great campus for students
Clerk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 22, 2019
It will be ideal for salary to be competitive for they are way low for the area. Message to management to promote those who deserve to promotion for due to tenure, seniority, hard work, loyalty to the department and Institution, not due to favoritism other excuses allowing great staff, faculty member to quit due to lack of advancement.

I believe more organization in regards to students college requirements and program review. For program assistants to be well trained prior to hied that will enable students to have concrete answers instead of providing them run-around about a program and train counselors as well because no one ever knows anything when trying to find solutions to questions resulting in terrible customer service and not providing best service to our students paying high tuition per semester. There should be better training for supervisors and program assistants because some lack competence and don't know much of the program or don't care much for the salary/compensation isn't as much which end up delegating their responsibilities to student workers while they watch Netflix and videos while at work. Also, it will be ideal to have free coffee and creamer, as well as good filtered water in every building; all faculty and staff will much appreciate.
Pros
Low salaries
Cons
Great campus and events
fast -paced environment to work for
Recruitment Services- Student Affairs (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 16, 2019
The work load is a lot but it can get done. Wonderful place of work and the staff are always willing to help you out. I learned so much from my manager at the time and I love the ability to help students and other staff members.
Pros
Many lunch-ins and holiday parties
Cons
not easy to get a raise
Mentoring and teaching undergraduate students was fulfilling and inspiring.
Teaching Assistant - Finance Department (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 15, 2019
It was a joy to arrive at my office and have several students waiting for my direction. I enjoyed teaching them the subtleties of Corporate Finance and answering any other types of questions they might have had about life.
Pros
Tuition payment, set-your-own-schedule
Cons
No advancement, low-pay
Good work environment
Student Advisor/Clerk, Registrar's Office (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 7, 2019
Good university. FAU offers a relax work environment and administrators are friendly. I am not sure about the current management. They had a very good work culture
Over worked and under paid but good benefits
Target and Homeschool Student Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 27, 2018
Expect to work extra hours for no extra compensation just comp time. The benefits are great but hard to me up unless you know someone. These should be temporary jobs 1-2 years and then move on.
Pros
Benefits, health and education and sick days
Cons
Pay is very low and hard to move up