Florida Gulf Coast University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Collaborative, fun, environment
Intramural Sports and Sport Club Intern (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 6, 2018
FGCU cares about the people that work in the campus recreation department. People go out to eat together for lunch almost every day. The colleagues you work with are top notch and great to learn from. I was able to learn a lot about how to create a collaborative culture.
Great Job with no appreciation
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 21, 2018
The Resident Assistant position has many benefits. It allows for you to meet a great group of students. It opens the door to an amazing amount of mentors and supervisors. But it is fairly inflexible and thankless job.
Pros
Free housing, fun, develops leadership skills
Cons
poor management, not a livable wage, lack of appreciation
Best opportunity I have encountered
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 2, 2018
While applying for the Resident assistant job, I was told many different stories of what the job consists of but when I started it, it was a complete opposite situation that everyone shared with me. I did not have much training and then was just tossed into the position and it was a learn as you go and think on your feet. Although that is what made me into the RA I am today! I recently just received new RA of the year for my neighborhood!
Pros
Free Housing, Making connections
Cons
Time to go home/vacation, separating work and personal life
Productive environment where I felt helpful
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 25, 2018
I was able to help undergrad students with issues or concerns they had. I also helped with mail and closed on some days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Productive and fun workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 13, 2018
Helping students with their assignments; also, responsible for grading homework assignments in CDA 3200 Digital Systems and CDA 3104 Computer Organization and Assembly Language Programming.
A good temporary job for student living.
FRONT DESK ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 7, 2018
Working here was okay. It was on-campus and close to where I was living at the time. There were some things (such as training) that did seem to be excessive considering we were paid without any benefits or job security. Our department was also structured a lot differently than other departments, so I suppose it depends which department you work for.
Pros
Easy work. relaxing environment.
Cons
Management, No place for improvement, No benefits.
Learning Experience
Student Naturalist (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 27, 2018
Great entry-level job to introduce you to concepts of sustainability and mission of the university. Provided a way to get to know what events are occurring and to get involved with other students.
great university
part time adjunct faculty member (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 11, 2018
Great university and I was sad to leave there. I would gladly work with them again in the future. Set on Boyer's Model of Scholarship. Great faculty, great administration, and fantastic students to work with.
FGCU Work Experience
System Engineer (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 8, 2018
Florida Gulf Coast University provided a great opportunity to obtain extensive and diverse job experiences. It was a large IT environment with a relatively small IT work force, so everyone was exposed to variety of state of the art applications, systems and hardware.
It's a college job
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 8, 2018
It was a student and RA job. Great managers and learned a lot about time management. Easy job for any college student to do. Just won't have too much free time if you do everything right.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 7, 2018
Enjoy a productive work culture that establishes relationships inside and outside of the office. People are kind but salaries could be higher, considering the local cost of living.
Pros
free lunches, great people
Cons
lack of student consideration
High expectations, low pay
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  College of Arts and SciencesMarch 20, 2018
Fortunately, our supervisor was excellent, however the qualifications for lab managers does not match the compensation. Management expects you to use your qualifications, but aren’t willing to pay for it. Staff are underrepresented and have no growth potential in this position. The process of making changes and overall political atmosphere is exhausting and counterproductive. Most contribute to the high turnover by leaving their jobs to achieve deserved status and pay grade. With a bachelors degree and years of experience you can’t earn a living wage through this university. Unfortunately, this affects university growth and productivity in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Pros
Benefits are decent.
Cons
Poor staff representation, compensation, professional growth
Can be very rewarding at times.
Testing Specialist/Administrative Asst. (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 15, 2018
Workplace environment good, but stressful at times due to nature of department: missed lunches and breaks. Rewarding due to outcomes, small staff and customers need constant attention.
Pros
Great benefits, earned sick and annual leave.
Cons
Normal working issues.
managable job
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 25, 2018
The university works well giving you shifts that do not interfere with your school and life schedule. My coworkers are friendly and easy to work alongside.
Exciting and productive workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 25, 2018
Relaxed and exciting workplace where individuals got along. There were always chances of meeting higher officials that would know of you and how well your job completion rate was.
Na
Room Scheduler, Event Planner Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 31, 2017
Was a great workplace.
Great experience for a new college graduate to gain hands on experience/skills needed to grow in my career.
Great co-workers and supervisor.
Good experience, but not the best.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 21, 2017
Working here was really good for the work experience needed for being collaborative, but was not all that well managed, and not the best treatment of employees.
Good Job
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 21, 2017
Lacking in hours
Low pay
Studying is acceptable
Easy to maintain workload
Great management team and coworkers
Great way to learn more about the customer service industry.
Learned a lot about concrete
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 15, 2017
Thanks to this position, I learned about the possibility of attending graduate school to further my education.
The hardest part of the job was mixing days, because it would take a full day. The best part of the job was knowing that I was learning.
Good place to work depending on the department
FRONT DESK ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 5, 2017
The department I worked in particular was far tougher on its student workers than any other department so I suppose you'd have to look around to see what works best for you. This particular department demands that you are fast-paced, that you challenge yourself and that you're also always ready to advance yourself despite the fact that there is not really any job security and no paid benefits for student employees. However, the department is very good and I would defiantly recommend that you work on campus because it is a good learning experience.