Florida Gulf Coast University Employee Reviews

I have loved working at FGCU
Associate Librarian (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 5, 2019
I have loved working at FGCU. I found incredible mentorship and plentiful opportunities for professional development. The students are fantastic and the culture is student and teaching focused.
Pros
fantastic colleagues
Cons
Administrative change equaled a shift in the organizational cultural.
slow and steady
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 18, 2019
HR is a absolute mess. There is no advancement, no incentive, nothing to drive you to work harder or move further within the college. They focus on micro management, and the behind the scenes politics is horrible. The pay is low but the benefits WERE good. The insurance is getting worse every year. At first We used all of FGCU benefits, not we only use the health, and it's balanced with my wifes. Eye, dental, retirement, we no longer use here. I've been here 10 years and I can't move on anywhere without a degree and those positions are a pay cut. They have no value for work experience or your past experience. Although the president claims he wants values people to advance, HR is still in charge and they clearly don't follow the same ideas as the president.
Pros
free time, slow days, friendly people
Cons
lazy co-workers, no advancement, horrible directors who clearly have no idea what their own employees do.
Great environment and tremendous learning opportunities
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 7, 2019
Each day is different and this helps to keep the expectations of the job exciting and challenging.

Teamwork is vital and embracing the awareness that you have a collaborative team of support, commitment and skill always there to help you is reassuring.

Management is committed to all aspects of their roles as leaders.

Workplace culture is diversified and represents an awesome ethnic and cultural well-rounded environment with different ways of thinking and working together.

Lack of consistent communication.

The students, the staff, the beautiful campus and the awesome learning opportunities.
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 2, 2019
Steady job, great people, paid Holiday's, sick leave, annual leave, Health Insurance, Life Insurance and other benefits. Worked here for 14 years and had to leave for personal reasons but applied at FGCU again when I was ready to go back to work, must mean something.
A wonderful place of learning and improvement
Cyber Security Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 11, 2018
Florida Gulf Coast University was where I developed the skills for my career. I learned everything I needed to know about coding and developing quality software.

It was also a place where I was able to perform actual work and research topics relevant to my field.
ta
Teachers Assistant (TA), Chemistry I (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 3, 2018
was very tentative work schedule. spent my time grading homework, and exams. other than that helped students understand the material was the main aspect of the job.
summer work
College Baseball Player (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 24, 2018
A lot of outside machinery experience. Soaked up the sun quite a bit. Good part time work while in school and off in the summer. Management was nice and hours were good
Florida Gulf Coast University
Men's Soccer Club Founder, President, Head Coach (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 25, 2018
Florida Gulf Coast University offers a quality education in a beautiful location. The local town center has a variety of stores, restaurants, and nightlife. Dorm rooms and campus housing offer privacy and an inclusive environment. While this may not be a football college, it is home to an awesome basketball and hockey team! FGCU is dedicated to creating a safe environment for all students. Everyone can download a guardian eagle app and there are multiple emergency safe buttons around campus. Although the there are a variety of clubs and activities students can engage in, you must be willing to put yourself out there to get involved. But don’t worry, there is a place for everyone!
Student and research focused
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 19, 2018
Great place to work, all staff was helpful and kind. The main priority are the students, research to improve their learning, and community outreach .
Excellence in education
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  FloridaAugust 22, 2018
Ability to flex my schedule with main job, management is awesome, great place to work.. The campus is growing each year and is super attractive to students nationally as well as internationally. The campus is beautiful and extremely high tech.
Pros
Flex shcedule
Fun people, relaxed environment
Security Analyst, Help Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 9, 2018
There is a mix of working with computers and answering questions from customers.
Co-workers are very friendly and communicative.
Full-time staff are always willing to help with any questions or issues you may have.
Work is rarely stressful.
Scheduling is very flexible.
Collaborative, fun, environment
Intramural Sports and Sport Club Intern (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 6, 2018
FGCU cares about the people that work in the campus recreation department. People go out to eat together for lunch almost every day. The colleagues you work with are top notch and great to learn from. I was able to learn a lot about how to create a collaborative culture.
Great Job with no appreciation
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 21, 2018
The Resident Assistant position has many benefits. It allows for you to meet a great group of students. It opens the door to an amazing amount of mentors and supervisors. But it is fairly inflexible and thankless job.
Pros
Free housing, fun, develops leadership skills
Cons
poor management, not a livable wage, lack of appreciation
Best opportunity I have encountered
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 2, 2018
While applying for the Resident assistant job, I was told many different stories of what the job consists of but when I started it, it was a complete opposite situation that everyone shared with me. I did not have much training and then was just tossed into the position and it was a learn as you go and think on your feet. Although that is what made me into the RA I am today! I recently just received new RA of the year for my neighborhood!
Pros
Free Housing, Making connections
Cons
Time to go home/vacation, separating work and personal life
Excellent working environment
Coordinator-Physical Plant Facilities Services (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 31, 2018
• Responsible for daily management and oversight of numerous vendor subcontractors, and contract obligations totaling $2 million
• Developed new procedures and standards for facility improvements, website communications, marketing presentations, operational improvements
• Licensed for Structural and Internal Pesticide applications
• Reported to Assistant Director of Physical Plant Maintenance Operations
Productive environment where I felt helpful
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 25, 2018
I was able to help undergrad students with issues or concerns they had. I also helped with mail and closed on some days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Productive and fun workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 13, 2018
Helping students with their assignments; also, responsible for grading homework assignments in CDA 3200 Digital Systems and CDA 3104 Computer Organization and Assembly Language Programming.
A good temporary job for student living.
FRONT DESK ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 7, 2018
Working here was okay. It was on-campus and close to where I was living at the time. There were some things (such as training) that did seem to be excessive considering we were paid without any benefits or job security. Our department was also structured a lot differently than other departments, so I suppose it depends which department you work for.
Pros
Easy work. relaxing environment.
Cons
Management, No place for improvement, No benefits.
Learning Experience
Student Naturalist (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 27, 2018
Great entry-level job to introduce you to concepts of sustainability and mission of the university. Provided a way to get to know what events are occurring and to get involved with other students.
great university
part time adjunct faculty member (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 11, 2018
Great university and I was sad to leave there. I would gladly work with them again in the future. Set on Boyer's Model of Scholarship. Great faculty, great administration, and fantastic students to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Florida Gulf Coast University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3