Florida International University Employee Reviews

Structured
Education & Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 8, 2018
I enjoyed working at FIU. I was able to enhance my training and management skills while I was there. Also loved working independent,very goal oriented
Have a good working order
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 8, 2018
Everyday is a different day. Every morning I can see everyone's face with smile, and kindly to say good morning. The most happy thing is when I help students solve their problems. I learned to be hard, to be honest, to be nice, no excuse from our office workers. The hardest part is the Spanish Language. An office worker, she always teaches me a few words when she see me, even though some words I cannot remember always. I am very enjoy my job, they give me a lot help. I really appreciate it.
El trabajo es diviertido y siempre aprendemos algo nuevo
Admissions Officer/Enrollment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 31, 2018
Ambiente del trabajo es muy bien. Los compañeros de trabajo nos ayudamos si entre nosotros si tenemos problemas con algo que no funiciona.
Great Place to Work
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 28, 2018
As a camp counselor I was able to learn a lot about myself and have a great time working with an amazing staff. Make sure you're serious about the work, taking care of the kids, and being responsible and a team player.
less than I expected
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 25, 2018
Although FIU has a wonderful benefits, their compensation is so low that it is not enough for a living wage in Dade County. The management depends on what college you work in.
An excellent way to learn and get more experienced
Events & Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 16, 2018
Very good experience to learn and gather experience by the hand of great professionals.

Having a hands-on with projects has been a very illustrative experience that I have been having so far. The supervisors are very committed not only to deliver great quality projects but also to make you enhance and strengthen your abilities as a professional.
Cons
Part time and temporary positions not benefited.
Health department has been changed since working there, many people have been laid off
Student Health Services Cashier Clerk (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 11, 2018
Good position, but department laid a large amount of people when a new Health Administrator was hired.As a student its a good and convenient job that is flexible with your class schedule.
After 12 years at the University of Miami, I was recruited at FIU--it was a terrible experience.
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Main CampusOctober 4, 2018
The morale is low and the push to graduate students by the metrics to secure additional state funding is very intense. The needs of the student come second to the needs of the school for additional dollars.

Additionally, it is very much a 'state job' mentality--nepotism is rampant and it is very political.

I still work in higher education, an area I love, and I would gladly return to UM, but I would NEVER work at FIU again.
Pros
State employee benefits
Cons
Bad morale, nepotism, poor management, run for profits not students
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 1, 2018
It's a great place to work but there is no job security. It is very hard to get a full-time position. I have been here for twenty years and I am still an adjunct.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
No benefits or room for advancement
Enjoyed my time here
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 26, 2018
Worked as a graduate research assistant. Helped to pay my tuition in grad school. Flexible schedule that worked around my studies. Would highly recommend for anyone given this opportunity.

Want to know more about Florida International University?

Ask a question
Research analyst
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 20, 2018
overall i had very good benefits as compared to a student life.
Health insurance and good salary as a student life made me pay a lot of college fees by myself
Fun workplace
Graduate Assistant, Campus Life (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 14, 2018
Wonderful environment with amazing individuals, especially skilled individuals with passion towards improvement of personal and professional development of students
Pros
Great community
Cons
Low pay
Na
Career Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 11, 2018
• Effectively utilized client’s social media and websites
• Assisted in creation and distribution of press releases and pitch letters
• Built and updated media lists and databases via Excel
• Identified and pitched media opportunities and social media influences
• Created social media calendars via Excel and micro-social media campaigns
Internship
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 10, 2018
This wasnt a job it was an internship.
A typical day at work was filing papers, nice conversations with sociological professors, answering phone calls, assisting people that walked in, making appointments. I learned that professors have a very busy schedule and heavy research work, i also learned that staying after-hours in the office is very common, i learned how to use Excell a lot better.
Pros
lunch
A typical day at work
Reading Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 27, 2018
Reading Specialist for all grade levels. I assess all students in the program. I also make sure that their needs are being met through instruction. Final product is their success in reading.
has its ups and downs
DESK ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 23, 2018
Does enough to help you get by in the city of miami. they are very flexible with work hours and are there to help when you needed. yo will never do anything untrained.
Good opportunity to work with students
Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 21, 2018
A typical day at work ranges. Some days are busy depending on the demands of the students. I learnt how to encourage good study habits and solve problems systematically. Management can be a bit sloppy but work times are flexible.
Pros
15 min break after 4 consecutive hours
Excellent
Intern (Manual Tester) (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 20, 2018
Excellent place to work. The managers and the culture is awesome. I really learned a lot while being here. I would definitely recommend FIU to anybody.
Fiu
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 20, 2018
Work with students, faculty and staff daily. Prepare student contracts, student/faculty/staff travel and expenses, manage department budgets. Best part of the job is my team
Productive research group
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 19, 2018
I was an undergraduate researcher at FIU. My advisor was very flexible with my schedule, considering I was taking classes and also worked part-time. Time with the research group was very productive, and I learned basic laboratory skills that prepared me for graduate school.