Florida International University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Na
Career Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 11, 2018
• Effectively utilized client’s social media and websites
• Assisted in creation and distribution of press releases and pitch letters
• Built and updated media lists and databases via Excel
• Identified and pitched media opportunities and social media influences
• Created social media calendars via Excel and micro-social media campaigns
Internship
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 10, 2018
This wasnt a job it was an internship.
A typical day at work was filing papers, nice conversations with sociological professors, answering phone calls, assisting people that walked in, making appointments. I learned that professors have a very busy schedule and heavy research work, i also learned that staying after-hours in the office is very common, i learned how to use Excell a lot better.
Pros
lunch
Cons
A typical day at work
Reading Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 27, 2018
Reading Specialist for all grade levels. I assess all students in the program. I also make sure that their needs are being met through instruction. Final product is their success in reading.
has its ups and downs
DESK ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 23, 2018
Does enough to help you get by in the city of miami. they are very flexible with work hours and are there to help when you needed. yo will never do anything untrained.
Good opportunity to work with students
Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 21, 2018
A typical day at work ranges. Some days are busy depending on the demands of the students. I learnt how to encourage good study habits and solve problems systematically. Management can be a bit sloppy but work times are flexible.
Pros
15 min break after 4 consecutive hours
Excellent
Intern (Manual Tester) (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 20, 2018
Excellent place to work. The managers and the culture is awesome. I really learned a lot while being here. I would definitely recommend FIU to anybody.
Fiu
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 20, 2018
Work with students, faculty and staff daily. Prepare student contracts, student/faculty/staff travel and expenses, manage department budgets. Best part of the job is my team
Productive research group
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 19, 2018
I was an undergraduate researcher at FIU. My advisor was very flexible with my schedule, considering I was taking classes and also worked part-time. Time with the research group was very productive, and I learned basic laboratory skills that prepared me for graduate school.
Supportive
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 15, 2018
Very supportive atmosphere. I was able to work while attending the university. The managers communicated great and made me feel valued as a colleague and as an employee. I could rely on my coworkers and it was very family oriented.
Pros
Work-life Balance, Culture, Atmosphere
very enjoyable working with students
Senior Secretary, Lakeview South Resident Hall (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 14, 2018
making sure that everything was in order at the front desk, checking the calendar for the day. Management could have been better at supervising. The culture was very even
Florida International University
CUSTODIAL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  N Miami Beach, FLAugust 13, 2018
Great place of employment depending on the department you are in. Some have high turnover ratio due to the leadership but the leadership never changes because of the politics
Very young university and it shows
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 13, 2018
This is a young university with many growing pains that need to be addressed as soon as possible. The lack of administrative assistants for faculty results in them being bogged down with paperwork instead of working on bringing in grant funding or conducting research or teaching. Also, nobody knows how to control the temperature of the buildings. They pay to cool the buildings to 60 degrees, and pay to run electric heaters to heat the offices to livable temperatures.
Great community to work for
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 13, 2018
The FIU community is dedicated and supportive to all its members. The time I spent there was spent researching and even though the site was in homestead and off of the main campus my supervisor was always available to help
Productive fun place to work
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 10, 2018
Tons of professional development!
Free will to be creative and innovative.
Diverse institution.
Progressive and always changing.
Lots of resources.
Pros
Professional Development
Right place right people
Manager of Administrative Operations (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 4, 2018
All areas/colleges are different. I'm fortunate to have started off in an area where my bosses became mentors and promoted me and encourage me to continue to grow. The University does often hire within, and one can always seek opportunities in other areas to continue to grow. This is also great for employees who are looking for a long term career and the benefits are good. This can be both good and bad, with some employees who do the bare minimum and others are expected to pick up slack. But this is only sometimes and is becoming far and few between.
Pros
Benefits! Tuition! Growth potential!
Cons
Few promotions, low salary
Great institution to work for!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 2, 2018
A typical day at work would be interact and assist with students and guests who are lost. Help other employees with clerical tasks such as organizing files, writing and sending emails, data entry, keeping inventory of office supplies, and helping set up conference rooms for events and/or meetings.
Pros
Events with free food, free health checks, discounts throughout all FIU
Easy work
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 30, 2018
A good job for side money. Not suitable for those looking for high income or needing to pay bills. Able to get a lot of course work done during shifts and staff is very kind and friendly.
productive
Quality Improvement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 29, 2018
this is a excellent institutions, that let the employees grown. For my this is a amazing places were we can work, with respect,and with excellent benefits. I which that i should be a part of this again.
Decent company
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 25, 2018
Decent company/University, but there is indeed a lack of position available for graduates. More investments should be implemented toward research opportunities and personnel.
Great Insititution
Director (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 25, 2018
Good place to work but unfortunately not enough room for growth or job advancement. Fair work/ life balance and good benefits. Salaries are not comparable across the board, a lot of disparity.