Florida International University Employee Reviews

Professional workplace with welcoming team
Office Assistant/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 26, 2018
Working with international university, as an office assistant, with the Upward Bound program has been a great opportunity. I genuinely love my job and the professionalism that it brings. It has enhanced my business skill, in terms of filing reports, making and answering calls, and things of that nature. It also enhanced my team building skill and professionalism. Overall, I love this job.
Pros
Allows to do school work, Pay, Break, Welcoming coworkers, Flexible schedule
Professional yet Familiar Work Space Environment
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 20, 2018
Healthy safe environment in many regards. Enjoyable in the sense that many of the people by which you will work with are also moving ahead in life, so many of these interactions are the early humble beginnings of many successful careers soon to take off. So these connections are enriching, the work environment is lively and the company is generally bright and youthfully motivated, but the competition is set with regards to the amount of people already attending the university.
Pros
Youthful Lively Ambiance
Cons
Exceptionally Packed and Competitive
Excellent for college students
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 18, 2018
You work with a great group of people. The people there understand that you are a student too so they are not too hard on you. Depending on the department some jobs are more relaxed than others.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Pay is not too great
Excellent place to learn about professional development and work while I study
Career Advocate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 17, 2018
A typical day varies greatly as we are in charge of many aspects of professional development. We are responsible for student outreach events and promoting our office. We also review student resumes and give general advice pertaining to job and internship searches, as well as networking skills, and other areas of professionalism. We create news letters for the office outlining the upcoming events as well. The most enjoyable thing about the job is the culture which is built around encouraging students in their search for a career, and this culture extends to its employees. The hardest part of the job is juggling it with classes.
Pros
Learning about professional development
Cons
Compensation
Fun Outdoor Atmosphere
Parking Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 13, 2018
Typical day at work involves driving the LPR vehicle around and scanning license plates, transporting students to and from buildings on campus, and helping event planning for parking

Very fun work culture, active, and interesting

Hardest part of the job is updating customer files with parking information, new plates, customer information, on Nupark software

The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with patrons, participation in events, and helping University staff perform duties
Pros
Pool facilities and gym are free
Cons
Gets a little hot sometimes
Great job
Student Assistant, Division of IT (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 12, 2018
This job is stress free. It provides a great opportunity to learn about the different fields and aspects of IT. You get to work next door to technicians and other coworkers of different positions in IT gaining a first hand view of how different things work.
Fun at first
Volunteer Football Cameraman (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 9, 2018
It's exciting working for a athletic college program as an intern, but after the first year or two it becomes a drag. Especially if you're not getting paid. Don't expect to get a job their right a way. I suggest this internship only to those people that really have a passion for sports.
Pros
The Experience, Free Gear at times
Cons
A grind during the season, not paid
Overall
Admissions Recruiter II (Current Employee) –  Maimi, FLFebruary 6, 2018
Great workplace culture. A bit limited in advancement opportunities withing a department. Would stay forever if salary compensation or promotions were offered.
Pros
Amazing place to work in. Awesome benefits.
Cons
Salary Compensation not the best.
Room for expansion
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  maimiFebruary 5, 2018
answer phone calls and direrect to the correct department.
help faculty and students with instruction on how to set up or unlock their portal. enjoyable part of the day to me would be the data entry part
Pros
room to expand
Cons
temporary
Cooperative environment with respectful co workers.
Phone Operator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 1, 2018
My experience at Florida International University has been overall incredible. Each day I am greeted by a lovely boss and outstanding co-workers. At this job, I face many experiences where I have to calm down callers over the phone and provide proper assistance. This occupation has given me a deeper sense of patience and responsibility.
Pros
Team Work Skills, Occasional Lunches.
Cons
No Paid Vacations.
Best Place to Work
Executive Assistant Management Development (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 31, 2018
FIU is a great place to work. Excellent academia courses for educational studies. Highly recommended to take advantage of the university fair market costs of studies.
Pros
Excellent Univserity to attend
Cons
Locations
Intern
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 29, 2018
This was an internship therefore i am unable to provide with details as to how the work environment for people who actually works there is like. I had a full time job and would come to school to work on my projects on my own time.
Friendly College Campus Workplace
Interim Director, Project & Client Relations Mgr (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 29, 2018
The work atmosphere is professional but relaxed when at all possible. The people that work there make you feel more like family than just an employee. You are rewarded for excelling at your job and there are plenty of resources for advancing your knowledge and career.
Pros
So many on-site amenities. Feels like a family more than management/co-workers.
Cons
Hard to find parking during peak traffic times
Educational Consultant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 28, 2018
I worked in the Honors College. While job satisfaction highly depended on your immediate superior, I was fortunate to have an extremely competent and genial Associate Dean to work with. Initiatives were taken seriously, as was student satisfaction. The workplace was relaxed, but well run, and people were motivated.
Pros
Great bosses
Cons
Bureaucracy outside of the Honors College
Police Service Tech
Police Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 27, 2018
Staff was great, management had open door policy, my duties included. Assisting Florida International Police Department with several activities. . Assist officers and staff on whatever duties they require. This was a good employment. Great work environment
Pros
Good staff, very nice
Cons
Bad pay
Instability
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 26, 2018
Poor leadership and unclear/ever-changing goals make this place difficult to work. As one person takes over, they have different goals than the previous one, and may fire you regardless of contract. Not a stable place to be.
Great
Housing Assistant/ Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 25, 2018
It was an awesome place to work while attending college. They were fast paced, fun, exciting environment. I was able to do my homework and meet new people.
Great experience
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 23, 2018
Working at FIU is a great experience. Especially for a student looking to transition into the workforce with not a lot of experience. Would recommend.
Overall great...FIU has grown which is an example of positive enhancements. The HR department allowed me to meet several people from different cultur
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 22, 2018
FIU was a great place to work...it's diverse and many opportunities to grow. The management and university encouraged progress and motivated employees to excel
Pros
All benefits
Marine Sciences Department
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 22, 2018
In general, every single detail about the internship was great. The hours were pretty flexible, and we can organize our schedule in a way that it doesn’t interfere with our studies. Everyone in the lab is very helpful and they are always willing to help in any way.
To get more experience when it comes to working with people that already work in the field of behavioral ecology and marine biology, which is exactly what I want to pursue, so that I can gain more knowledge of what it is like to work in that environment, and of course to learn from them to apply this ecological knowledge for future work.