Florida Rock & Tank Lines Employee Reviews

I regret working here. The only thing gained was experience
Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 12, 2018
If they actually took time to care about there drivers and not interfere with revenue that was earned they may have a chance of being ok. And this review is based on the Charlotte area. Other areas arent as bad
Pros
Good equipment
Cons
Everything else
As gomer says-"terrible terrible terrible"
Driver (Current Employee) –  Tampa flaNovember 2, 2018
You will work 60 hours in 5 days and be nagged to work a 6th day. Mandatory "saftey" meetings you MUST attend at most inconvenient of times ( day off or in between shifts- and their saftey record still is lack-luster at best. TONS and TONS of very unnecessary papper work with each load. 75% of the time you have to steal fittings and hoses off other drivers trucks to be able to run your shift-theyre too cheap to buy enough. They try and brainwash new drivers that " their way" ( the loading work sheets/ tons of papperwork/ only loading with 2 fuel risers) is the "right" way to haul gas then complain your too slow. VERY CHEAP saftey bonus IF your lucky enough to qualify.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Too many to list
Overall a good place to work
Billing Clerk/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 15, 2018
Enjoyed my job in new position. Was offered a newly created position that I did extremely well in. Grateful management could see I would excel and put me in that position.
Pros
Enjoyed consistent hours
Cons
Was laid off when job was eliminated
My typical day
Logisics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 7, 2018
A typical day can be very busy and getting ahead early is to my advantage. First i make sure everyone thats supposed to be working is here. If they are not then phone calles are made to customers and management explaing the details. This will prepare for later when and if loads are not delivered on time. Usually a driver is only running late and this is not great but better than no driver at all. Then i make sure a loads are running as scheduled and check levels for my most critical sites.This can be like a puzzle and sometimes its hard to find the right pieces. When I am successful at completeing the puzzle, thats a great day. There are days when the puzzle is just not gonna be completed because of things out of my control. Those are the bad days. BUT we have to try and make happen what we can. Safety is far most important than anything alse I do. Our drivers haul 8800 gallons of fuel and that can be very dangerous. Another important aspect of my job is making sure drivers are alert, they feel good, not stressed, and can be productive with out any issues. The culture is crazy stressed most times. There are more than 1 market being dispatched at my location and the phones go crazy alot of the time.
Pros
Laid back, nobody hovering over me or demanding this or that
Cons
12 hour days 24/7/365
Enjoyed the people I worked with.
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 23, 2018
Really enjoy dispatch work. Enjoy communication with the public and the data entry aspect of the job. Also enjoy the interaction with the drivers and businesses that I had to communicate with on a daily basis.
Love this place
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Rock, FLJuly 23, 2018
When you work here, you really are considered family. The people I work with bent over backwards to help me. Don't get me wrong, the job is stressful and very long hours but it was completely worth it. I would still be there if I would not have had some health issues that required me to relocate to NC for a bit.
Very bad place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 22, 2018
Dont work here at all, very bad place to work. Company only cares about themselfs. Stay away. CallS all night, drivers dont come to work, drivers no call no show.
Pros
Cons
Stress
Flrt - tampa
Administrative Assistant / Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 11, 2018
Ask your local drivers about this company. Go with your instinct. Management always has the flu and sickly. Drug screenings should be for EVERYONE. Learned too work with a variety of different characters. Hardest part of the job is being a parent and school. They are not a fan of one excelling in education and it is frowned on if you are a parent in the Tampa Terminal. Benefits are good and relationships are built with outside vendors and customers.
Pros
Good Health Benefits
Cons
Not allowed to post truth.
You can grow, but your going to work for it
Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 15, 2018
The hardest part at FRTL is the work life balance. As a manager you are on average going to work 65-75 hrs per week and your going to be on call 24/7. The most frustrating part is that you will know how to improve your business but very few decisions are left up to you to decide. Upper management, even the CEO is involved in many day to day decisions which leads to too many meetings and bogging down of your work day.
Pros
Company Car
Cons
Work/Life Balance; On Call 24/7
Good company just long hours
Senior Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 6, 2018
Florida Rock is good company with good benefits. Lot of changes going on and long hours of work but soon that should be resolved. If you like looking at a computer for 12 hr a day for 4 days a week tgia is the place to be.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Worst company Ive ever worked for
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 29, 2018
The hours are terrible with no home life worth living there are no holidays and two shifts from 3am till your done or 3pm till your done never less than 12 hour days. All for less than 400 dollars per week
Pros
Nothing good to say
Cons
Pay, hours, dispatch, pulling gas is dangerous
Poor terminal mgmt. at Tampa Terminal - Stress & Lack of Support for Employees
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 24, 2018
Work 12-16 hour days, 5 to 6 day work week, must work most holidays. Unorganized and severe lack of commication. Tampa terminal has very poor mgmt. Very stressful with little reward, almost no family time and work most holidays. Between the hours & stress level at this job, it will shave years off your life. Equipment poorly maintained and dispatch very unorganized. Coupled with no mgr support...you're on your own. You might want to work here if it's your last resort.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Stress, long hours, poor working conditions, lack of mgmt support
Great job if you love being around trucking.
Shop Hand (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 23, 2018
My day at work consisted of coming in at 7:30am opening the shop, and getting ready to have to pull in any trucks. At Florida Rock and Tank lines i learned how to do an A-PM and B-PM, and just do routine maintenance on newer Kenworths and Macks.
Pros
Flexible hours, working with your hands, and being around the trucking community
Stressful
Diesel Technician 3 (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 7, 2018
Not a fun place to work management not good treated like second class people hole in front of shop very deep they would not fill it in in the year I worked there Shop not equiped very good hard to get the them to have parts to complete repairs no training dirty shop and yard big
Pros
they pay you on time
Cons
hours
Don't do it.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GAMarch 23, 2018
Poor management, worse equipment. Every employee complains, nothing gets done or followed up on. Lack of accountability. Pay issues, trucks break down constantly & are in disrepair. Mechanics don't care, management doesn't care & dispatchers are clueless.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Not enough money
Fun place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 18, 2018
If you want to advance you just need to apply and prove yourself. Good home/ work split. If your slow you paid for being slow. If you hustle you are paid for hustling. Same lack of communication with management to employees as every other corporation in America. Overall good place to be part of.
Pros
Opportunity to make more money if you want it. Home everyday.
Cons
Days off. Working holidays.
Worst job ever
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 17, 2018
The worst experience ever! I would never recommend this company! Poor training and don’t care about anything but filling their pockets. CEO always gets $1million or more bonus while everyone else gets nothing!
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Pay, support, growth, huge turnover rate
Great place to work, lots of friendly people.
Driver (Current Employee) –  DoravilleFebruary 7, 2018
I started working with this company February 1999, I had previously worked 12 years with Coca-Cola. My job at FRTL felt like I was on vacation, that is if you’ve ever used a pair of hand trucks and unloaded soft drinks for 12 to 14 hours a day. Working here at FRTL has really been great for me, short commute back and forth to work, I use a truck parked at the Powder Springs Terminal, Usually do 3 loads a night, 2 to LaGrange, 1 to Rome. GRAVY !! Great Company to work for.
Pros
Sure, they feed us sometimes, Really nice equipment to work with
Cons
Working in the rain, Yuck
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 21, 2018
It is a relaxed and they don't rush you as long as you follow all the rules for loading and unloading truck and if you stay accident free. They pay a very competitive salary and are very understanding if you have a family emergency.
Pros
safety awards and food as a reward
Cons
its anywhere from 11 to 12 hour days and you share a truck with another driver.
Management was good. Pay terrible.
Fuel Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 16, 2018
Good management but very poor pay. The hours spent loading fuel and not getting paid for it. Hazardous material such as fuel is dangerous. Better pay.
Pros
its a job
Cons
poor pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Florida Rock & Tank Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8