Florida State University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
International Programs
Immigration, Passport Office MGR, Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 13, 2018
Have worked here for 3+ years in IP department. There is slight favoritism from the Director on who gets to travel abroad and other perks you would think this job would offer.
Great University with great benefits
Guest Services Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 2, 2018
Overall FSU is a prestigious university and being associated with it brings a lot of recognition. Middle managers in some departments leave a lot to be desired. If you are in a department with a great fit it is a spectacular experience working with them.
Pros
Great benefits
Great university
Gift Officer (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 26, 2018
FSU Foundation was a fantastic place to work. There are clear goals and expectations, and the foundation generally cares about its employees. It can be a competitive place to work, but FSU is a fantastic opportunity for those who love the university.
Could be fun, but was definitely time consuming.
Undergraduate Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 17, 2018
Working with sports can be entertaining and fun, but definitely requires a lot of long days and almost no downtime. There is a lot of traveling that is required and one must be available 24/7 in case something comes up.
Helpful career boost
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 9, 2018
At Florida State University, I was research assistant. They paid for my graduate school tuition in return for me collecting data for my professor. My professor was great and helpful.
FSU Summary
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 9, 2018
Direct supervisor did a poor job of guiding me and challenging me. From my perspective, it is a very political organization. The institution did not like change.
Benefits
Cons
Growth restriction
The best school and work place
Student Financial Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 7, 2018
I love Florida State University with my heart! It is a dynamic place to work! I have had the best experience at FSU and I highly recommend it 2 ANYONE!
Tutor
New Student & Family Programs (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 6, 2018
I worked as a tutor at Florida State University during my four year term at the university as a student. I appreciated the flexible hours and good pay.
The FSU Foundation
Board Relations Director (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 5, 2018
Interesting and exciting work, great benefits. Management is fairly impervious to FSU graduates however and is composed of an inflexible core of professional development senior administrators that seem nervous about letting FSU grads rise above a certain level.
Pros
Great Benefits, exciting work
Cons
exclusive and protective senior management level
Bad management
Coordinator, Computer Applications (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 28, 2018
In the beginning it was a good place to work, later the office policies favored the young student programmers over the older programmers, they promised that there would be training on the new software and programming languages that was being developed, that did not happen and the older programmers were fired.
Pros
Good place if you are young
Cons
Bad place if older, bad managers
Depends on Department
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 7, 2018
The working environment depends on different departments. The department that I worked with was not very good. The management was a mess and the leader don't care about others' feeling. But the colleagues were nice to work with.
Educational atmosphere
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLJune 5, 2018
I worked at the University as a second part-time job for 20 hours a week on a temporary basis and enjoyed it greatly. I worked for the Assistant Dean for 3 months to cover the administrative assistant on disability. Kept his calendar, did typing, phones, mail, scheduling as needed.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
More hours
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLJune 4, 2018
Phone lines very busy all day everyday. Work requests come in to be scheduled for week or month. Learned a lot from management always there to direct the path. Staff was wonderful to work with, everybody worked as a team.
I Love Being a Stagehand
Stagehand (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 3, 2018
Being a stagehand at Florida State University's Ruby Diamond Concert Hall is one of the best jobs I've ever had. It allows me to be flexible with my hours.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough calls to make a good amount of money
Great
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 30, 2018
Florida state is a great place and i recommend it to anyone to come and see what all the hype is about. Nothing about Florida State University says unexciting.
Productive Workplace
Virtual School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 30, 2018
On A regular day at Florida State University Schools. I would come in at 7:30am and help out with morning car drop off. I would do that for 30 minutes until the last bell. Once I am finished, I then heard to the class room where I assist the teacher with their daily routine in the class room. After the regular day has completed I would then help with student pickup until 3:30pm
I love this workplacce
RECYCLING SUPPORT WORKER (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 19, 2018
Great work environment. Friendly Family type atmosphere. Also very professional. Open door policy to all employees. very diverse. many races, men and women from all back grounds are employed here. I personally appreciate interacting with people from all over the world.
Pros
Stabilty, Security, Longevity..
Cons
Low wages, Minimal paywages/advancements
Police Department at FSU
Staff Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 18, 2018
Working for the Police Department at Florida State was a great experience. I learned HR, Travel, Purchasing, and Payroll. All of which are supervisory skills necessary to carry and hold within the workplace.
Pros
Free lunches, discounted tuition
Cons
no cons
FSU is a supportive place to find and advance a career.
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 17, 2018
FSU is a supportive place to find and advance a career. While there is a focus on completing the job given there is a sense of family throughout the university.
loved
Lead Tutorial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 17, 2018
my first job at FSU was offered through my research lab. I accepted the job and got a job as a research assistant within the lab. my second job i found after the lab lost funding and i am still employed and love it.