Florida State University Employee Reviews

productive workplace
Teaching Assistant/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 4, 2018
I have learned a lot about teaching large classes as well as online classes. I was able to conduct clinical trials which is very important in our field.

I had the opportunity to participate in many professional workshops which will have a tremendous effect on my future academic job.
Productive job with great opportunities
Catering Associate (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 2, 2018
Customer service skills enhanced when I worked for Florida State . I met so many students from different walks of life and connected with them . The pay was great but the manager that hired me moved stores
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
Management switch
It was okay
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 28, 2018
I worked at FSU for eighteen years and I gained two degrees and a plethora of work experience as a young adult entering in the workforce. However, the department I worked for did not have any room for advancement. Therefore I left for better opportunities.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Leading the daily work and duties to be accomplished in a timely matter.
answering the phones with a welcoming and helpful guidance to assist in needs at hand.
Cons
Always learning new concepts
Great benefits and retirment
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 18, 2018
Not the best workplace culture, as their hiring standards are low. However, management tries hard to ensure those who work hard succeed and advance quickly.
Pros
Great amount of time off with pay, great hours
Cons
hourly wage, high turnover
Great Work Atmosphere
Business Off Clerical/Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Great place to work. Only downfall is that most of the time there is no room for growth and you must actively search for a better position if you want more responsibility and pay.
Good to work for.
Level 1 IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 11, 2018
It is a good place to work with room for advancement. Sometimes it is very stressful but overall good. The benefits are great and the people I work with are great.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long days
Favorite Place to Work
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 11, 2018
Working at FSU was by far my favorite place to work. The environment was very collaborative and upbeat. It was very student-focused and driven by its mission.
A strong academicc community
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 7, 2018
I taught for Florida State University for several years as an adjunct. In my time, I was fortunate to enjoy the freedom to design my own courses with the backing of the administration. I have many fond memories of my time there, as well as of the people with whom I worked.
Great working environment
Postal and Printing Support (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 29, 2018
We were a very close knit group. The hours were good and it was a loose environment. Sometimes customers could be difficult, but where is that not the case.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Customers occasionally
Great Institution for Education and Working!
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 22, 2018
I worked at FSU for about 4 years before voluntarily resigning to return to school as a full-time student. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there as both an employee and student. The culture is unmatched anywhere else I've been, as the students, faculty, staff and administration all tend to weave themselves into the University fabric. FSU being such a large institution, has both centralized and decentralized administrative support positions (HR, Accounting, Purchasing), which work collaboratively to process University operations accordingly.
Pros
Free Courses, Great Benefits, Flexible Hours, Remote Work, High Diversity
Cons
Bureaucracy
Very much depends on the department that you work in if FSU is a pleasant employer
Environmental Health & Safety (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 21, 2018
Relatively high functioning department in its role at the University with capable employees able to perform job functions, but poor management. Good ol boy network with little opportunity for internal male promotions and no internal female promotions. Even with lawsuits and EEOC claims abundant, HR and upper management choose to keep Director in place with no apparent repercussions. Workplace environment is toxic. There is not a high workload and able to feel the work you do is appreciated, but not worthy of promotion into management.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
sexist management; HR does not hold management accountable
Bureaucracy
Analyst 2 (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 20, 2018
Things move slowly, and often times out of nowhere enterprise projects are initiated without a shared vision, complicating communications with stakeholders and deployment resources.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
very bureaucratic
An amazing group of people providing excellent new experiences
Member of Pre-Veterinary Club (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 20, 2018
While I was part of the Pre-Vet Club at FSU, I was very fortunate to be surrounded by a fantastic group of people so dedicated to their passion for animals like I am. The Pre-Vet club provided so many positive experiences such as volunteering at the Seacrest Wolf Preserve in Chipley, FL, trips to Busch Gardens every semester, and providing charity work for programs such as Relay for Life.
research assistant
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 16, 2018
They do not care or respect their employees. You are just another number and your concerns are never really addressed. The program does help at risk girls.
RESEARCH SCIENTIST (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 15, 2018
I have been working there over five years. I really enjoyed the experience and I like the culture. I have learned a lot from the job. The benefit was good.
International Programs
Immigration, Passport Office MGR, Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 13, 2018
Have worked here for 3+ years in IP department. There is slight favoritism from the Director on who gets to travel abroad and other perks you would think this job would offer.
Great University with great benefits
Guest Services Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 2, 2018
Overall FSU is a prestigious university and being associated with it brings a lot of recognition. Middle managers in some departments leave a lot to be desired. If you are in a department with a great fit it is a spectacular experience working with them.
Pros
Great benefits
Great university
Gift Officer (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 26, 2018
FSU Foundation was a fantastic place to work. There are clear goals and expectations, and the foundation generally cares about its employees. It can be a competitive place to work, but FSU is a fantastic opportunity for those who love the university.
Could be fun, but was definitely time consuming.
Undergraduate Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 17, 2018
Working with sports can be entertaining and fun, but definitely requires a lot of long days and almost no downtime. There is a lot of traveling that is required and one must be available 24/7 in case something comes up.