Florida Virtual School

United States121 reviews

Clear
3.7Pay & Benefits

Great concept

Not market wages. No credit for previous experience. Kind of a teacher is a widget that can be replaced. However, if the need for remote work is paramount in your life and you love teaching, this may be a great fit. No real complaints, lots of praise. compensation is the big problem here.However, if you live in an area of the state that has low housing costs and good internet, this may be great.Very much a team approach with lots of support from peers and leadership,

Pros

Work from home, flexibility

Cons

Compensation is not competitive with large urban districts.

Excellent place to work

Education is tough these days, however the forward thinking of Florida Virtual has kept me here over 7 years. I’ve have amazing managers who have always been concerned with my professional development. It’s a great please with above average compensation for education and outstanding benefits.

Florida Virtual School insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Overall a good place to work

Overall a good company to work for. Good benefits (health insurance, retirement, vacation time) and decent flexibility. Staffing issues and pay are areas for improvement.

There is NO actual teaching!!! The curriculum is horrible. Students highlight text, right click, and search Google for the answer.

Teachers spend more time grading copied work from the internet and submitting academic integrity tickets than actually teaching. Poor kids! Poor model. This really needs to change. The state of Florida has great teachers working at FLVS, with NO autonomy at all. They are experts at what they do, but teachers just call students and parents all day long for DBAs and submit academic integrity tickets. If you are desperate for money and think you can handle mind-numbing, boring work, take the job. If you are a true educator by nature, don't take this job. You will regret it, and you will eventually leave anyway. Don't waste your precious years. Only take this job if you are ready to call/text/email 200 students and parents daily to turn in work. Good luck.

Pros

Benefits are good.

Cons

If you are a FL teacher fed up with your school system and think FLVS will be better, think again. If you LOVE teaching and are an expert in your field, this is NOT the job for you.

Just OK

Nothing special other than the job flexibility. Great for work life balance. You are on the phone a lot and will feel like you are a bill collector. Benefits are great.

Pros

Flex schedule

Good opportunity

A fine place to work. Lots of opportunities for growth in administration/behind the scenes. Professional development was supported and encouraged. Pay was low for the industry during my time there.

Pros

Opportunities for growth

Cons

Low pay at the time

Overworked, Underpaid & Undervalued

Working for FLVS is not at all "as advertised!" I worked approximately 90 hours per week teaching English 10 to 130-140 students. Students called me at all hours of the night, well past 8PM, and all weekend. Each student submitted three assignments per week, and each assignment could be resubmitted up to three times. All assignments had to be graded within 48 hours, in addition to making (at minimum) 30 call per day with accompanying highly-detailed, required call logs, data entry of grades, sending weekly progress reports via text & emails, attending weekly team & PLC meetings, planning for & teaching two live lessons per month, and MORE! I was provided one week of training before my "mentor" left FLVS, followed by another mentor who also left two weeks after being assigned to me, leaving me without a mentor at all. After a year of being chained to my home office, working with condescending, gossipy & cliquey people, trying to manage the above mentioned issues, and countless other matters, I resigned. My family & I could not have been happier!

Pros

Healthcare, Average Salary

Cons

Extraordinarily long hours, Interrupted vacation time, Grading system tecnical issues, etc!!!

Great if you like making a lot of phone calls

I'm currently working as an instructor with FLVS. I love the flexibility, and the salary is pretty good too, for a teaching position. What I don't love are the enormous amounts of phone calls we must make to parents and students. That is basically 80% of the job. So if you don't like phone work, pass on this company.

Unbeatable benefits and work-life balance

While the benefits (health, pension, holiday and time-off, work-from-home options) are truly unmatched, the organizational culture, managerial ineptitude and historical corruption makes working here embarrassing at times and worrisome for future opportunities. A culture of fear still lingers which causes many employees to make self-preserving decision making, minimal innovative ideas and shameful lack of bravery.

Horrible working conditions

Yes, you get to work from home, however you are expected (despite leaders saying otherwise) to work 8am - 8pm. They will deny it, however in order to satisfy parents you must be available (key word) 12 hours each day. Vacations... the expectation is that you "work ahead" prior to vacation. The Lead Teachers (who cover during vacations) will only do the bare minimum while you are out. They actually stated they will only do x-number of monthly calls during one vacation (which was far below what I would do in a normal work week). Seriously, just don't do it.

Great people! Great benefits

The work/life balance can be challenging, especially during peak seasons.Fabulous people to work with. Great benefits. Leading a team of remote employees is enjoyable, as all are very professional and dedicated.

Part time is not always beneficial

I was expected on 1/3 of the full time pay to carry 1/3 to 1/2 the studend load at about half the hours of a full time teacher. In time, I became proficient enough to manage my own schedule in less than half time.

Pros

work at home

Cons

part time still had to teach same online course load

Flexible work-from-home position

This job is the best one I have ever had has a teacher and professional. The flexible setting and work from home was great for my personal situation, but many teachers cannot handle the isolation. I highly recommend finding local FLVS staff to get together with on occasions. The onboarding is much better than when I joined. They use to push you out of the nest on the first day, but now ease everyone into it. Everyone is friendly and helpful for the most part. ILs and lead teachers are around to assist and provide guidance. Every year we get together in Orlando to meet face-to-face, but they have scaled back the time there the past few years. You have to be available 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday with weekends off (that was not the case until 2015). Hardest part of the job is that most students call after school and evenings when your family is likely to be home. Finding balance is the key to a successful career. Getting to know the students one-on-one with the parents was awesome! The only downside was that I had to resign since my spouse accepted a position out-of-state. FLVS is pretty much influenced by the DOE now and has 3 ridiculous requirements for working out-of-state. No one can meet every one of them, so you are forced to resign now even if you have outstanding reviews. When I first started, they allowed you to work anywhere. Highly recommend as an employer if you live in Florida.

Pros

Flexibility, Benefits, Staff Conference, Remote

Cons

Must reside in Florida

Customer service rep, not a teacher

Claim that they put people first, but data is their priority. If you think testing data is stressful, run away now! Call quotas, and logging EVERY conversation all day long, takes away from quality instruction. Management is passive aggressive, acting like they want to help, but never actually help, and blame others. Teachers are discouraged from collaborating or working as a real team. Zero time for personal situations. Can’t work out of Florida at all. If you’re a teacher who genuinely puts their students first, you will hate this job. Call numbers first, then students.

Pros

Students and their families are amazing!

Cons

Management, no collaboration, zero praise, call quotas, etc.

Flvs

Working from home was great. Great teammates. Management was constantly changing and eliminating positions. No positions to grow towards. There we also limited salary increases.

Awesome Company

Florida Virtual School is an amazing company to work for. We have awesome benefits and get paid well. Depending on the program you are working for though, the days can be quite long.

Terrible treatment from administration.

Having to work 60+ hours a week. On the compute or phone literally 12 or more hours a day, including weekends. Unrealistic quotas & humiliated by administration if quotas were not met.

Benefits

Cons

Having to work 60+ hours a week.

productive

make your own schedule, set up the appointments. work from home or go tithe clients home and help them over there. very educational. happy to help the other people w\ho need my help on so nanny subjective math reading science

Pros

make your own schedule

Cons

no benefits

Terrible work/balance life

Everything is quota, quota, quota. Nothing else about child progress is thought of. This is all about money in this company.

Pros

Salary, work from home

Cons

Leadership team is not supportive, your job is threatened constantly

Think twice or three times or more before working here

I have been with flvs for 2 years and I can honestly say, this virtual school is going downhill fast. They hire incompetent managers, IT is a mess, and the website we work off of is a joke, it barely works and this is 2016 for crying out loud. Human Resources does a horrible job at hiring people, they reject qualified applicants and hire on the stupidest, inexperienced people ever. They should be replaced immediately...all of them.

Pros

Working from home, benefits

Cons

Human Resources is not good. Bad management, they will fire you at any given time

Run for your life

Unstable Unstable Unstable...Run for your life...New Leadership different cover same story...heed the warnings and don't choose them!

Pros

Benefits, Professional Development, working from home

Cons

everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Florida Virtual School. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
4.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight