Fluor Corp.
77Above average

Fluor Corp. Employee Reviews for Piping Designer

Piping Designer54 reviews
United States54 reviews
Very nice environment, good equipment and furnishings. The layoffs quickly follow work load and they do not rehire those laid off before opening up to new applicants.
This review is only for houston office. Absolutely the worst engineering office I've worked in over 40 years in the business. The group leaders act like they are better than you. Treat a man like children
Pros
Cons
Much
Working here is one the best place to work. this company had grown and it has seen the most brainy people from the industry. They have a culture of belonging for a example on most Fridays they turn to have potluck as a means of team building.
i know all the people, how they work, what they expect I like the campus, the hours and the equipment. Nice job stations good communications, I enjoyed the versitility
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Productive and fun work environment with a wonderful menu of food at theirLack og mana lobby restaurant. Flexible work hour schedule that allows for outside activities on their 15 acre campus.
Pros
Free seminars training and lunches
Cons
Lack of good manament
Glamorous buildings. Welcoming Rhetoric. But once the indoctrination is over, The truth becomes obvious.You're nothing more than a robot or worse, liability. This rule applies especially if you happen to be a female situated in a predominately male occupation, namely engineering. The glass ceiling doesn't hover overhead, rather gives you a hard sobering slap in the face soon after you settle in.
Pros
Comfortable buildings and decent pay to make you feel all warm and cozy.
Cons
No Job Security. Once projects wane, you're out the door.
Overall I enjoyed my time at Fluor but the stress of the work hours and not knowing how long the job would last took it's tole. The team that was bought together to do this job was great.
A very good place to work. a very nice management and supervisors.
Challenge to solve piping design problems. Accomplish a good piping design for Ethylene 3 symmetric Compressor Units.
I was supposed to work there only 2 months and it ended up being 7 months. The work was ok and I wish I could of finished my career there. At 64 it would of been a nice thing but the work was running out so they started the layoffs.
The company was very poor. They closed the office. Working there was the worst experience I ever had. If you didn't work with the others at a previous job, you were an outcast
Cons
I had worked for Fluor Daniels in Greenville, SC. working in Fluor had been a great experience for me, in the personal and professional live. I had learn a great amount of knowledge that had help me whit my carrier as a Sr Piping Designer.
worked in the office and in the field with the same result of satisfaction and happiness.
Enjoyed working with professional groups... Good communication.
Good working conditions.

Lots of field work at the refinery.

Enjoyed model reviews with the Tesoro Client.
Pros
Always learning something new.
Cons
Not many.
The on-the-job experience covers a wide range of skill sets required to complete a job. Current jobs are fast paced and require 40+ hour weeks from the get-go.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Stressful work schedule
Start 6 am meet with supervisor go over job status average work place learned new design methods had to work extra hard to get information to do job but put in a good effort .
Pros
Every Thursdays had treats during status meetings
Cons
Some supervisors misuse of position status
it is what it is. I do not agree with these as everyone will have their own experiences and reasons they has the experience that they had. Some will be great and some will not
Work was a good challenge made you think and be productive also
interacting with other departments to complete all required work and specifications for job requirements.
Fast pace environment, supervisors don't give you too much information. Your expected to have your area done and expect your to already know the "Flour" way if doing things
Pros
Every thing you need, bank, cafeteria, gym etc. Is in the building.
Cons
Very low moral.
I enjoyed working at Fluor Corp. as a senior piping designer. We worked there as a team to handle all the design issues, and had excellent reviews of layout to make the appropriate changes to design as required. It was a good place to work and I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
We were always treated good with a mutual respect for each other.
Cons
There was not opportunity to switch to direct status.
Many things I had learned with FLUOR including piping design and different CAD softwares. A pleasant workplace even there were pressure on outputs per day. I learned also to be responsible of everything so I can handle my lower batch designers.
Fluor provides a strong family atmosphere with a good vacation, paid time off package based on hours worked. My supervisors were good to work for and provided help when needed.

Typical work day is 9 hours

Management is well organized

Good pay
Pros
Close to home and fellow workers were good to work with.
Cons
Quick to layoff when work is slow
Ok, Took care of me well. But no raises in 3 years.
No hands on interaction with employees at jobsite. Typical contracting company. Once hired, no interaction with employee except a 5 minute discussion at one year point to direct me to sign generic personnel review document. Did not get a review after the second year and going on the third year now.

Corporate HR did me great service when in need, local HR is sadly lacking.
Pros
Great HR dept.
Cons
No raises in 3 years