Flywheel Sports Employee Reviews

Stressful
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 13, 2019
The best part about *any* boutique cycling job is always going to be the relationships you build with the riders. They are, or should be, the main reason you love teaching. You end up finding friends through the relationships and the trust you build with the riders.

Management in particular markets can be incredibly frustrating because they have minimal background in managing and marketing a studio in a new market. Flywheel started in NYC and all the attention is placed on the larger cities such as there as well as LA, Chicago, etc. Favorites are placed, heavy amount of politics, no clue how to market a studio, treating employees like robots without feelings, are a few things that make it a stressful place to come into.

Operations and Teachers have different backgrounds, as the Ops team operates the studio and the Instructors have backgrounds in fitness or coaching. One department should not be telling the other dept how to do their job, either way it goes. Yet, they should work in Unison and support each other which also just is not the case unfortunately.

Zero support, very condescending behavior, constantly disappointing the riders with various problems throughout the studio.
Pros
Discounts on clothing. Free classes.
Cons
Management, management, management.
Great workplace; truly a family
Studio Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 23, 2019
My time spent at Flywheel taught me how to work effectively with a team and become a leader by being reliable, honest, and building relationships with the people around me. A typical day at work consists of me being hospitable to those that come in the studio and making them feel at home.
Cool atmosphere, strong work ethics.
Director of national recruiting (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 8, 2018
I found Flywheel Sports when I was a turning point in my life. Had a couple of big decisions to make and Flywheel scouted me from another fitness place I was working at the time.
In my 8 years at Flywheel I truly had the most fun times and met the best people. I learned a lot about being at the top of my game and being the best version of me and my career.
I moved on simply because there were no more ladders to climb in my position and I was still hungry and passionate for more.
Fun and inviting workplace
Accounts Payable Manager/Consulting (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLOctober 3, 2018
I loved working here. I got along with everyone. Everyone did their job, and did it well. We had a lot of fun as well at work. I never woke up and said omg I have to go to work ahhhh. I enjoyed going to work everyday. The management there supported their team. Which is amazing.
Endorphins and Networking opps
Studio Graphics & Design Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 14, 2018
Really focus on hospitality > customer service which allows for great relationships and networking opportunities with the clients. Feels like being productive with friends which makes early mornings more enjoyable.
Pros
free membership (including other local studios)
Cons
poor communication from management
Fun part time position
Studio Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2018
Flywheel was a lovely place to work, though sometimes stressful. Aside from some challenging customer interactions and very early opening hours, I found it to be a positive part time position.
Fun workplace with great staff & clientele.
Studio Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 5, 2018
FlyWheel is more than a place of work. It is a place of family. You meet some great people and really feel yourself become one with FlyWheel. Excellent for college students. Not a forever job obviously but at $12/hour to start, it’s pretty great.
Pros
Paid breaks. Laid back for most part.
Fun High energy environment
Studio Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 20, 2018
Great to work as a studio coordinator part time especially for a student. The studio is high energy, staff is upbeat, and the work is not too taxing. If you're into fitness it a great place to work.
Truth
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2018
Very Fast-paced environment, likeable coworkers, Manegement is good until it isn't. Many coporate desicions are made that effect everyone except coperate, which is difficult to adjust to many changes they are making. Since coperate never comes around often enough to understand or realize what exactly is happening.
great place
Studio Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJune 16, 2018
Love working here, great environment. Helps you work as a team and also individually. Really believe in helping you find goals and reach them. One of the best places I've worked at.
Employee morale is at an all time low with a toxic culture to boot!
Studio Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 29, 2018
As an SC, management and some instructors will not treat you with respect. You're basically regarded like The Help and berated and even if you tell managment or HR, nothing will happen! They will then do sneaky and retaliatory practices to get you out!

Lots of gossip, negative and childish attitudes that management promotes. Favoritism and "playing the game" plus being White will get you ahead in this company. The favoritism will go as far as managers not managing lazy or rude employees but somehow they are always first on the list for a promotion (even if their skills are inferior to yours). There is an atrocious lack of diversity which makes it clear how they want to portray their brand and culture.

Their Fly Anywhere bikes flopped hard and business is staggering because of the fact they invested so much into it as opposed to investing more on a studio level first. People are either not buying or returning the bikes so they are scrapping for new ideas to make up for this thus putting more unnecessary pressure and responsibilities on SC's to capture new riders to drive business yet we are the least respected and appreciated here. That and Flywheel's terrible communication skills is why I believe they launched an employee site (thepulse) to have us do annoying and time consuming modules which are extremely repetitive and often times unnecessary. They even have the nerve to urge you to promote them on your social media.

Management is incompetent and apathetic and they are extremely fake when corporate comes around. Expect for management to never be around and you basically
  more... have to do everything and take on managerial duties/responsibilities.

You will not get more than 15 to even 20 hours (you can't even get 30) a week and they ensure to spread out your days so you're there more even though you're working short 3 hour shifts. Payrate is a joke too for all the work you do in a short time.

No benefits or recognition for your work especially if you're a POC. Work smart and not hard as you don't matter here. Corporate/management is basically putting all the pressure on you with no merit. Value yourself and demand more such as respect. Understand that you have rights and you should speak up to any unfair employer practices, and document everything! It's either "play the game" or plan your exit.

I would not recommend this place as a job or even a career field unless you don't mind being a punching bag, undermined and unvalued. It will take a miracle for a positive change to take place. I've worked at nearly all NYC Flywheel's and they all pretty much are like this. So while here, focus on the positive but don't take anything either! Just take your lessons and move forward!
Pros
Free classes, you can really connect with some awesome riders and instructors, make new friends with some coworkers
Cons
No benfits, no upward mobility or fostering of growth, low employee morale, retalitory pratices, favortism, unprofessionalism
Learning experience
Club Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2018
It’s a great way to learn how to be and deal with pressure and how to fix things on the fly. Management is communicative and understanding with member and staff needs
Fun place
Studio Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 31, 2018
Was a fun job, enjoyed the regulars that came in.
Studio is very dated. Company needs to make the decision and realize they can afford to close it down to renovate it.
Pros
Opportunity to grow
Cons
Lack of Benefits unless advancing to higher positions
great place to work
Gym Attendant/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 25, 2018
good company to work for great people always happy active and ready to workout good energy always in the air love the fly barrel pulse i loved to take class on my lunch break when i was there they also have showers and free water
Productive setting
Studio Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYMarch 14, 2018
Great place to be , very welcoming , staff make it easy for you to jump in and feel like a member of the team, everyone gives a helping hand and your obtain relationships with customers quickly.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Not long enough breaks
good place to work
Studio Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
flexible schedule and easy to switch shifts.
Any reason for you not to be able to work in a shift you were giving, all you have to do is find someone who can cover your shift and have them take it or switch with you.
Fun yet mentally draining work environment
Studio Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2018
The general mission of the company as a whole is positive and wonderful!
Terrible management at local and non local levels. Studio managers are rarely present nor show hands on support, creating a very uncomfortable work environment. There’s never confidentiality in conversations related to feedback, additionally creating a hostile work environment. Lack of professionalism is a huge problem here. Management favortises who they hire, no one is treated equally.
Nothing is consistent and there’s no backbone for success in a fitness career here.
Pros
Positive guest community, fast paced environment
Cons
Terrible management, no support from corporate, favoritism
Energized, fun, productive, rewarding
Master Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2018
Being a part of changing peoples lives and loving what I do. Fun culture, great clients and co-workers. A chance to be creative, let your personality show, and motivate others. Challenges your own ability, sets up goals to strive for, and fosters the attitude that it's within your reach to be successful.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Physically demanding
Fun, creative environment
FITNESS INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2018
I love FlyWheel Sports. Both the wheel classes and barre classes are fun, competitive and leave you wanting more. it truly is a family culture that with a support system like I've never been a part of before.
Active and disciplined
Flybarre Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2017
Flywheel is a wonderful company - fast faced. Tough on the body. Rewarding to those instructors who change lives through wellness. All classes are 45-60 mins and change your body for the better.