FM Global Employee Reviews

Used to be a good place to work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIMarch 20, 2019
There have been recent changes in the company that have left many people with low morale

My main issue with FM Global is that it promotes the idea that it treats its employees well, yet there are many managers that are ineffective and/or verbally abusive and HR is completely ineffective with helping.

In general, the managers stay and continue their behavior, and the employees either stay and are unhappy or leave. Internal promotions are rare, at least in my department. The company gives lip service to diversity but the ones in charge don't have diverse backgrounds and believe hiring women over men is all that needs to be done.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Abusive managers are tolerated
Great culture
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIFebruary 28, 2019
Management and employees work well as a team.

The company invests in its people, many training opportunities.

Nice mix of employees with tenure and new hires.
Supportive and collaborative workplace with very smart and competent personnel.
Claims Adjuster I (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 18, 2019
Good place to work for someone who is willing to work hard and is looking for a stable company that has a long history of success in the commercial property insurance industry.
review
Translate Engineer drawing & blueprint (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RIFebruary 18, 2019
Been with FM Global since 2007, The culture has change a lot since I first started, the department that I'm in has a culture of only providing advancement to people they socialize with.
A day in the life at FM Global
Methods Analyst (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RIJanuary 14, 2019
Everyone at FM is busy, its pretty constant. They are very good at what they do and truly believe in their mission statement. Its a meeting culture there, you usually have at minimum 2 meetings a day. They are trying to drive away from that by turning the IS department into an Agile space. Its New, Its innovative and very much the way of the future. The open floor plan isn't productive for everyone but absolutely promotes team work. They are accommodating when it comes to family/personal time. Overall its a really great place to work.
summer job
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXDecember 9, 2018
good summer job moving to a paperless system. was required to scan, copy, and shred a room full of documents that dated back to the 1950's in some cases. I thought it was really cool until I realized I was touching documents coated in cigarette tar and mountains of dust. definitely a one-time job.
Great experience
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIDecember 9, 2018
Had many interesting projects to work on. Manager was better than i could ask for. Team was very nice and supportive. Cafeteria was amazing with freshly cooked food.
My Experience as Temp
Corporate Records Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RINovember 5, 2018
I recently got let go last week due to the lack of work flow. I was hired as a Contingent worker, temping through an Agency and was hoping to be hired as a permanent employee. I really like the culture of the company and got to build good rapports with my co-workers there. I took no days off, worked while I was really sick, and always get my work done with little supervision. I was also tech savvy so I was always helpful whenever my peers needed it and sometimes did more work than what I was actually assigned to. I am an over achiever. Sadly, I was not chosen for the position I've been working in. I've applied and was not even asked to be interviewed. Instead, they chose an internal employee and just told me they were sorry.

One evening after my shift, my Recruiter from the temp agency called me to tell me not to go into work the next day. I didn't even get a chance to pack up my belongings, say farewell to my peers, or anything. I still have my FM Global work badge that I didn't get to turn in. It felt like I got fired rather than let go due to the "lack of work flow." I felt like my transitioning out of FM Global was poorly handled and very unprofessional. I wish there was more communication towards the ending of my assignment.
Pros
Cheap Lunch, Great Parking Space, Walk/Jogging Path
Cons
No Benefits
no comment
Senior Access VBA Database Developer (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIOctober 2, 2018
there is no comment I have to describe another company, please use your own judgement on this because this would be a biased question and its not good
Very toxic envirinment
Client Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MASeptember 13, 2018
Very hostile and toxic environment to the point I could not do my job. Management plays favorites with employees. Micromanaged. If you report a problem then your life is made miserable
Benefits
Cons
Unhealthy work environment
Great Company
SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJAugust 27, 2018
FM Global is a great company to work for. They provide excellent benefits with a total reward package. They appreciate family first attitude and work with employees going through a difficult time. They even provide an outsource for mental and physical needs. They help with adoptions and such too.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Taveling distance
Technical /Desktop Support Analyst
Help Desk Desktop Analyst (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIAugust 24, 2018
FM Global has a nice working environment. The it group is always
using the newest and updated software and hardware systems.I had the chance to learn more about imaging computers besides doing our usual phone/deskside support.
Great Company - Poor Management
Client Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAAugust 21, 2018
Great company to work for. Unfortunately, not all locations are the same and I wasn't fortunate enough to work at a well balanced environment. Very competitive, toxic employees, and excessive micromanagement. If you like this line of business, I highly recommend the company because its benefits and career advancement. Good school for the business itself. However, the workplace environment is poor and hard to work with.
Pros
Great benefits and the opportunity of advancement
Cons
Toxic environment
Love this company
Finance (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RIAugust 8, 2018
Great company to work for and I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to be here. They have a great business culture and provide so much for their employees.
Great benefits. No longer a secure company. Very poor, archaic management.
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RIJuly 23, 2018
They will get you interested with the great benefits package, but this company is no longer secure or a very good environment to work in. Management style is archaic, inept and the company is peppered with nepotism. They hired McKinsey to come in and get them ready for agile. The outcome was to layoff many employee's, even though there was no need to at all. Many were over 40 and are very good at what they do. This has negatively affected morale and productivity greatly. They put the entire IS department through a lot during the process. They eliminated over 150 jobs and made everyone re-apply for their old job, knowing very well who they were planning on letting go, regardless of the outcome of the interview. Yet, they kept nearly all the managers, many of which are quite inept. They laid off too many people for the work load and worse yet, they aren't ready for agile. It is clear management made these decisions too quickly and with no real plan surrounding resources in place. Managements expectations of IS are unrealistic. The open floor seating is horrible and makes it hard to concentrate. Zero privacy. No work from home policy. Things seem to be getting worse, not better. The pension isn't worth it. Sad that this is no longer the company it used to be.
Pros
Pension and 401K match are good. Vacation buy offered.
Cons
Archaic management style, inept management, too much nepotism, don't care about employees enough, poor raises, no work from home policy
Great Place
Network Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RIJuly 11, 2018
Very Intelligent staff and highly professional. Privileged to work among such bright people. No one is over our shoulder and atmosphere is easy going, everyone knows their job.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
FM Global is a great place to work for and they care about employees benefits and families
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIJune 22, 2018
A day at work can change from day to day in that there are daily jobs as well as weekly and monthly jobs that must be done. It is a highly diversified company where you are interacting with people within the companies in addition to external companies and required government reporting. This is a global company and there was always new things to learn. I enjoyed working for them where we all worked as a team.
Pros
great benefits and family friendly
Cons
long hours December through end of January every year
Good company
Senior Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RIJune 10, 2018
Having worked for FM Global for 18+ years, I have enjoyed the professional carer challenges and working with colleagues to produce quality products. There is currently a transformation to Agile software development and other innovative precesses to enhance teamwork and time to market for both internal and external clients
Pros
Good salary
Cons
mediocre management communication
Large company with laid back culture
Consultant Engineer (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXJune 5, 2018
FM Global is a good company to work for, and the benefits are excellent. Work hours are extremely flexible, and I am able to work from home a majority of the time. The company provides cars and all needed equipment to their field engineers, and they also cover all gas and toll road costs.
The company culture is relaxed overall, although the Dallas is office is more regimented than the company at large. The people working there are generally friendly. However, the job requires a lot of travel, so it can be difficult to make strong connections if you are not careful.
Pros
Great benefits, company car, very flexible work schedule, home office
Cons
Too much travel, lower pay than other engineering jobs in the area, difficult to make and maintain connections within the company
Have been away from company too long
NT Administrator (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAMay 8, 2018
The Company environment has likely changed often in the over 15 years that I have been away from this job for my review to be worthwhile. My summary is likely not helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FM Global. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight