FM Global

FM Global Employee Reviews

Good company that had great benefits. I worked as one of their hotel front desk agents. Aside from pretty terrible coworkers, the benefits were top notch.
Overall an excellent, safe and secure place to work. They've been in business for a long time and have no issue maintaining profitability even in the worst of markets. They clearly out-perform their competitors with a major competitive advantage in their risk-based research and engineering approach. While many insurance companies struggle, FM consistently remains strong. Even during the year of COVID, they did extremely well. You definitely don't have to worry about job security or your future while working here. The downside to that is people never leave; which is mostly a good thing, but often also leads to poor performers staying in the picture far longer than any company should allow. It also leads to some people getting into management positions purely due to their seniority, which also isn't always a good thing. Some people just aren't meant to be in management, whether they've been with the company 30 years or 3 years. FM puts a lot of importance in remaining competitive in the market though, as a great place to work. They're a little shy on the compensation end (better in recent 5 years), but they definitely make up for that on the benefits. Flexible work schedules, healthy vacation time, and a over-funded Pension plan are some key highlights. Along with all the usual stuff; 401k w/6% match, health/dental/life/long-term insurance with plenty of affordable options, and more. Corporate offices are absolutely beautiful and a fantastic place to work as well.
Pros
Benefits; 401k, pension, health/dental/life, etc. Very financially stable company, been around a long time!
Cons
Can be difficult to succeed and shine, some poor management, under-performers are rarely addressed
I regret leaving this company. They are a family oriented company and do some really exciting things. I hope to work for them again one day. They are a great company.
I worked 5 years in fm as a temp moved around looking for a permanent position. Company is great but runned so poorly. I received verbal abuse from supervisors and management didn’t care. You have to know people to move up. A lot of nepotism goes around. Poor poor management of a great company.
Pros
Benefits. Work environment
Cons
Poorly managed
I will preface this and say it depends on which office you are located and who you are working for. This review is from my experience working in the Seattle/Bellevue office in a support role. The benefits are good and pay is decent. Your work hours are steady and while they say they will ask you to stay longer when needed, I was never asked to do so.I had the opportunity to travel to Boston for training for a week and found the people to be friendly, welcoming, and did not judge you based on your position or looks. You will find good people in this office too, but the bad experiences far outweigh the good, dangerously so, and you will not have a soul to turn to despite what they tell you. Making a complaint about unfair treatment or workplace bullying you experience will only isolate you and add to the pain. No one will believe or help you. Only ignore, laugh at you, and/or spread malicious, unfair, and untrue gossip, stalk you on your personal social media, and escalating things until you are so beaten and bullied your only choice left is to quit. It really is like an elementary school playground only everyone is supposed to be and adult. I absolutely do not recommend anyone work here in a support role. Particular caution should be paid if you are a person of color or a woman. The office largely contains a lot of people who have been here for many many years and you’ll find A LOT of favoritism and tight-knit cliques. It is difficult as a newcomer to find their place. There is a lot of politeness, but it can take a long time to feel fully welcomed and some never really are. - more...
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits, work/life balance
Cons
No advancement available for support staff, you are not valued in any way
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Pays a fair wage and has interesting perks (like company car & work from home). The work is very exacting and bland. It's very transactional and unfulfilling in my opinion which makes it difficult to muster the energy to meet the high standards. They do provide a very organized training regimen but it still does not justify the standards you're held to. The standards are not equally enforced either. There are many people that have made a successful career out of FM Global and honestly it really bothers me because I know that anyone that can excel in that pressure cooker can succeed anywhere else and get paid 50% more to do it.
Pros
fully sponsored company car, great company events, great training provided, competitive pay
Cons
bad work-life, bureaucratic, unrealistic goals, boring & mundane work
this is a terrible company. they will drain all of your energy mentally/emotionally. do not waste your time or your sanity. low pay for too much stress. and dont think you can speak up about anything, or they will show you the door just like they have with so many great employees. #metoo
Pros
work from home
Cons
everything else
Very complex position with a two year learning curve. Had to learn 5 new proprietary systems with little training. Position is grossly underpaid. Management is weak.
Work from home allows me to set own hours (within reason). If you can manage your time appropriately, this is a fantastic position. Management is very supportive of their teams.
The reason why it is such a privilege to work with FM Global is because of the wonderful staff it has to offer. Everyone in the building is willing to help each other out. There hasn't been a single day I step into FM Global without a smile. Working at FM Global is wonderful. It is very easy to focus on multiple rigorous tasks because the environment FM Global has to offer allows you to focus without a single issue. Management is great and is always willing to help. I'd definitely would work here again!
For many years I've worked alongside family and friends, enjoying the family mutal trends that a lot of my peers promoted to me when I first started. I believe that our company does care about our clients and how we promote engineering and reduction of risk. However, last year, a lot of people were let go after the company decided to restructure how the business and the IS workforce works. Some of those people were allowed to reapply for another position, while others were simply let go after years of hard work. More importantly, the company feels liberal and corporate-minded versus friendly and functional. Management pushes the board directive down to the working class employees who toil each day and make the company run. There is a loss of context and perspective in the upper echelon of the ranks within FM. There are at least 3 systems of bonuses and the past few years two of them thrived and provided 5 to 6 weeks of incentives. The last system which comprises much of the workforce, called EIP, has failed to deliver a single dollar to employees in 3 years. All that is delivered to the workforce are pleasant sounding holiday letters. Management has forgotten about the every day worker. They eat up a bulk of the company dollars in salaries and many of them aren't even necessary. FM has become too top-heavy. Overall, the experience has left me saddened and depressed about our future as a company.
Pros
Engineering, Risk Reduction, Caring about Clients
Cons
Low Recognition, Low Reward, No Bonuses, Little incentives, Top-heavy Management
Job security is amazing, careers are extremely flexible in that you can move across different departments and the company promotes from within. The downside is that the most technical positions (engineering) are field positions where travel can be frequent and wide ranging depending on what area you are assigned to.
My first internship was with this company as a software engineer. I learned a lot about working on the job as a programmer. The workplace culture was excellent, everyone in the office was very happy to be there. All of my coworkers were helpful and kind, giving me the exact environment I needed to learn and grow as a programmer.
Overall I enjoyed the job until I received a new manager at the beginning of my second year. He had very poor interpersonal skills, and he had a hard time understanding me as a person. This led to him being somewhat ruthless in terms of the expectations of the job, and eventually forced me out when I could not keep up. Not that I wasn't where I needed to be, but rather he made sure to make it seem like I was not to give justification to fire me. If you have a good manager, it is a great place to work. If you don't, start looking for other options sooner rather than later.
FM Global is a direct insurer and is a mutuality. Policy Holders own the company. Underwriting is done on a location basis requiring high level of knowledge of each and every occupancy. FM Global is the worldwide leader in what we do. The environment is extremely rewarding and competitive. Mediocre engineers will not make a career here.
Great Company as far as product and client service they offer. Good work life balance. Not good with employee growth or development. Internal movement is based heavily upon who you know. Bonus structure is not good.
FM Global is a good place to work. The company uses cutting edge technology and encourages Management are receptive to feedback from employees. Very friendly culture.
Old school type company. Sort of a boys club. advancement is so-so, depending on your manager. They are not flexible at all about working remotely, even though there is really no reason for it.
Smart, hard working, fun people to work with. Bad management driving good people out the door. There are a lot of smart, fun, creative people that come into FM global. It is these same people getting driven out by bad managers.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
bad management and worse management above them
Management with no experiance and rude, they hire and promote favorites. Pay is not equally fair for the amount of work requested but again promote favorites instead of hard workers.
Very little collaboration going on, micro managing and poor leadership skills drive this company. Engineers are treated like gold and if you are not an engineer you are not respected for what you bring to the table. My leader fabricated her departments accomplishments in a professional group's magazine.
Pros
Excellent gym
Cons
Poor leadership behavior that is rewarded
  1. Employee Reviews