Follett Corporation Employee Reviews

Workplace with Horrible Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJSeptember 4, 2018
I worked at a college bookstore as a college student; even though I wasn't a typical bachelor's degree-holding, full-time working employee, I could instantly see that the whole company's management was not even average.
A tiny bookstore had four managers, who had absolutely no ideas how to manage employees or operate the store.
Most employees didn't care at all about the workplace and formed cliques within the bookstore, which I've found childish and time-wasting.
The pay was also extremely low, which I was willing to endure as a college student; however, the extreme physical demand the work required (Couldn't sit unless you were in a higher position on the hierarchy) was not worth the low pay.
I would not go back even as a college graduate.
Pros
30 minute break every 8 hours, discount on certain items
Cons
Management, Low pay, benefits, No room for advancement, Ridiculous physical demand
Excellent place to work
Supervisor, Technical Writing (Former Employee) –  Westmont, ILAugust 20, 2018
I started at Follett and worked for 8 years, left for 5 years and came back for another 10 years. I was laid off because of a reduction in work force, but was given generous severance package, including free employment agency help. I would work there again, if offered the chance. Excellent work environment and culture--very people oriented and cognizant of the whole person and your life outside of work.
Pros
Excellent work-life balance; offered day care benefits; excellent health insurance, 401k, life insurance options, retirement program. Sent me to workshops and paid for my membership in a professional organization.
Cons
The work product is changing because of changes in their market. They were a little slow to adjust, but are doing very well now.
Do not work here long term
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, VAJune 28, 2018
I started working for this company through my college bookstore. The company has a good mission statement, and in theory it's a nice place to work (I would do my homework during slow times, I got discounts on textbooks) but you get overworked very quickly. Without going into too much detail, I was thrown into an assistant manager position (they never gave me the official title but that's what I was-I did everything that our former manager did when they were fired) was never recognized for it, and overworked/yelled at when i would close up during the day (which I had to because I was the ONLY person working some days and took classes). You are never recognized for doing good work, and they expect you to be and do everything for inadequate pay. I quit after 6 months of "management" because I would be in tears after every shift.
Pros
Discount on textbooks, keeps you busy
Cons
No benefits, no recognition. Communication needs to improve too
The overall atmosphere was comfortable, but management could have been better about finding the right people to fit in with the team.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKAugust 7, 2018
Disclaimer: I did not work for the corporation directly; I worked at one of the college bookstores owned by Follett. The store location I worked for was nice. I had great relationships with my manager and my coworkers. However, when the manager started to hire additional employees, he hired people he knew were combative and uncooperative with certain members of the team. It caused tension within the store at times, but not too often. It was a great job to gain experience, but not good enough to help pay bills. We were constantly having our hours cut to keep payroll down. Hours were never the same and often had a wide range that made daily routines impossible.
Pros
Two free breaks, employee discounts
Cons
Low compensation, hours all over the place
Being Part-time Key holder, I can only get 25 hours per week
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Platteville, WISeptember 29, 2018
The job is great for students because they work around your school schedule but for someone like me who has a family to support and only allowed to get 25 hours per week. The pay is not that great either but at least it is a job. There are no benefits for part-time.
Pros
Daytime hours, hardly any weekends, and works well around school schedules
Cons
No benefits and the pay sucks
No room for advancements or raises
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NENovember 24, 2018
Loved my job but was just not appreciated plus my raises were jokes until I threatened to leave. I was eventually pushed out my management by reducing my hours to 9hrs a week.
Pros
flexible hours, great boss
Cons
low pay, low hours
A slow and often timeless workplace at our specific campus of which cannot sustain a person's living.
Team Member 2 (Former Employee) –  GAOctober 16, 2018
While this job may vary depending on the size of which campus you are working at, many will find a hard time sustaining themselves due to the lack of income Follett may bring to the table.

Management was very pleasant and patient but the corporation itself has some problems. After acquiring a temporary position, I was later bestowed a key to the store and my wage was raised about a dollar.

However, I waited several months for my checks to take effect. I was given word that my wage update did go through and should be seeing that effect on my checks but that didn't actually happen until months after I took responsibilities as key-holder and began additional training.

At first the promotion was exciting and uplifting but then unsatisfactory as the problem was still dawning over me, present as ever. The fact that I could still not sustain a household in my area (even with a couple of roommates) doomed me.

I had taken on several more responsibilities becoming a key-holder to the store and all that implies, but still felt overwhelmed by the required availability of myself at the store over little hours and wage.

The hours just weren't there and I couldn't make ends meet with this job. For that reason, I cannot recommend this to anyone seeking or hoping for full-time employment at many Follett campus bookstores unless you are becoming a manager or are financially stable and are seeking additional income.
Stressful work environment
Customer Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  McHenry, ILOctober 9, 2018
At times it proved to be very stressful. Due to the stress level co-workers where not positive,causing a hectic work environment. You where in a cubicle and only allowed 2 bathroom breaks and 30 minute lunch
Pros
Benefits, srt schedule
Cons
high stress Level
Follett
Team Lead Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Muskogee, OK 74403November 2, 2018
I like my job. My manager is great. My co-worker is great. The pros and cons are true. I wish to opt out of writing a review about Follett. I wish the job was better.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Not enough hours to work and no benefits at all.
Meet customers every day
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILSeptember 18, 2018
Good company. Good mission. Over 140 years of serving the educational marketplace for K-12. Leader in Library Software and Digital Resource Tracking Software of education entities.
Pros
Salary plus commission
Cons
Shiftwork implemented 5-31-18
Productive work place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 12, 2018
Company is efficient and highly driven. Company likes to promotes from within.Company provides the ability to transfer to other jobs in different locations.
Pros
Great Benefits
Sinking Ship
Store Manager III (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAAugust 15, 2018
Low morale overall. Lack of general direction. Things have gone downhill for several year with no promise of an upswing. Inconsistent raises if any and bonuses are inconsistent.
Bookstore
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 25, 2018
Overall a good experience when I was in college and needed flexible hours. However, now that I am not and need more, it just wont cut it financially. Bad Benefits and pretty bad pay compared to most places around my area.
Pros
Nice management, Easy going workplace
Cons
not enough pay, when busy not enough space to work
Fun excting work place
students and staff (Former Employee) –  Westchester, ILMarch 15, 2018
Typical Day service students, faculty, and staff with outstanding customer service. I learned how to read financial reports, report n those findings and how to train personal. Management was very professional, supportive, and goal driven. Workplace culture is college influenced, on campus you are involved in homecoming, graduation etc. Hardest part of the job was selling high priced textbooks to students. Enjoyable part of the job servicing students, faculty, and staff.
Pros
Campus events, Great Benefits, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Sales, End of the year
Work Day
Web fulfillment specialist/ sales floor (Current Employee) –  Locust Grove, VAJuly 9, 2018
Answer phones, fill any internet orders for books and supplies. Stock shelves, and clothing, assist students with textbooks, cashier adn maintain cleanliness of facilities
Pros
Great people
Cons
No benefits, no raises and no advancememetn
Excellent company to work for!
Midwest Regional Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 25, 2018
My overall review is very positive. Follett is a great company with terrific employees! I was there for a year when I received a promotion to senior sales rep with a very nice raise. Management is outstanding and there is opportunity for advancement.
Not so much
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  McHenry, ILFebruary 12, 2018
This company used to be great, then it sold out to corporate. Now, you're just another number that can be replaced in the blink of an eye. They give you the work of 3 people and when you don't complete 1 thing; its the end of the world. They had you learn 3 divisions (Library, Textbook, & Software) with very little training. Even management didn't know exactly what to do. They have super high expectations, but with very little guidance and training as everything is more or less "thrown" into action, even after testings and pilots showed problems.A lot of these could have been corrected by now, but I wouldn't care to find out or look into this. You're still just a number that can be replaced in a blink of an eye. Much like most companies I would imagine.
Pros
Own Cafe, Benefits for direct hires
Cons
Short Lunch, Micromanagement, Distrust, OVERLY stressful
Have an exit strategy
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2018
After almost 20 years and 1 lay off, I learned my lesson. Working here is a job, not a career. After attempting to relocate and not being offered even a living wage/salary (area was a 300% cost of living increase - salary offer was about 30% increase), it became clear. My time consisted of every department and experience at multiple store. The relationships at the store level were strong but it's clear the corporation doesn't appreciate it's human capital or it's competition. Scheduling is less flexible and benefits were severely reduced. Also, CEO turn over had become very high. I am happy to have exited on positive terms. Plan accordingly
Pros
Work environment, flexible scheduling
Cons
Low pay, infrequent raises, unclear advancement path
Fun and challenging environment to work in
Communications Lead and Senior Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXJanuary 25, 2018
Although limited in the needs for creative ideation and original material, the primary needs of Follett do contribute to increased education and student/alumni/parent pride of a wide variety of universities and colleges. They also manage some great corporate accounts which allows anyone on the in-house creative team to 'wear a variety of hats' and expand their work experience in ways that a design agency may not accommodate in a single individual creative.
Pros
Larger company, good benefits, job security, room for upward movement
Cons
Not particularly charitable in the local community, limited needs for original creative content
Great Team, No Overtime
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXJune 21, 2018
Follett offers great benefits and a new PTO accrual system. Typical day is 8 - 5 pm. Work -Life balance is a plus. Hard to deal with some of the customers you deal with in Customer Service Role.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Follett Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight