Follett Corporation Employee Reviews

bad pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILFebruary 18, 2018
I lived pretty far from the specific store I worked at and my manager didn't want to give me a transfer and they only made 8.25 which I did not like .
Not so much
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  McHenry, ILFebruary 12, 2018
This company used to be great, then it sold out to corporate. Now, you're just another number that can be replaced in the blink of an eye. They give you the work of 3 people and when you don't complete 1 thing; its the end of the world. They had you learn 3 divisions (Library, Textbook, & Software) with very little training. Even management didn't know exactly what to do. They have super high expectations, but with very little guidance and training as everything is more or less "thrown" into action, even after testings and pilots showed problems.A lot of these could have been corrected by now, but I wouldn't care to find out or look into this. You're still just a number that can be replaced in a blink of an eye. Much like most companies I would imagine.
Pros
Own Cafe, Benefits for direct hires
Cons
Short Lunch, Micromanagement, Distrust, OVERLY stressful
Dead End Job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 7, 2018
A once proud company dying because it failed to change with the times. No raises in four years and annual layoffs for more than that. Manager bonus potential cut in half in recent years. There is no future here.
Pros
Education hours in a retail job
Cons
No raises, job security, promotions or hope.
Great Work Environment, Many Advancement opportunities
AR clerk (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 30, 2018
I was able to implement my school studies in accounting, into physical practice with the great support system of my manager and assistant manager.
I learnt all aspects of accounting necessary for my role, as well as direct communication with high profile employees within the company, who were very patient and approachable when assisting me.
The hardest part of the job was work volume, but it was also the most enjoyable, a great sense of provide and recognition when you achieved a task.
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant to the VP of Operations (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAJanuary 29, 2018
Really enjoyed working for this company. So many different projects that I was involved in made it a great place. My manager was awesome to work for.
Relaxed
Clothing Processor (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 28, 2018
It was okay and mainly just stocking and preparing when the games started was more streasful because there was no room to go through to do your job. Need more space.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Short breaks. Not enough benefits
Friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 27, 2018
I got to learn a lot. Sales-associate basically do a lot of physical work. Communication skill is a must for that job, since we are supposed to helping the customers. Co-wrokers are all nice and friendly, it was a great experience.
Pros
Friendly co-worker
Flexible hours and easy work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAJanuary 25, 2018
Great job while I was a student attending college. Employers always ask about my customer service experience in regards to the Follett job on my resume, which has been helpful. Manger was incredibly flexible with allowing me to choose my hours to work around my class schedule. He was also very understanding if I needed to take more time off for studying, etc. Overall positive experience and nice way to earn some spending cash. Pay was minimum wage with no chance at advancement, but this was fine by me.
Pros
Flexible hours, accommodating management
Cons
Low pay, but this is expected.
Fun and challenging environment to work in
Communications Lead and Senior Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXJanuary 25, 2018
Although limited in the needs for creative ideation and original material, the primary needs of Follett do contribute to increased education and student/alumni/parent pride of a wide variety of universities and colleges. They also manage some great corporate accounts which allows anyone on the in-house creative team to 'wear a variety of hats' and expand their work experience in ways that a design agency may not accommodate in a single individual creative.
Pros
Larger company, good benefits, job security, room for upward movement
Cons
Not particularly charitable in the local community, limited needs for original creative content
Great company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILJanuary 24, 2018
Great company to work for. I started as an Assistant Bookstore Manager, went through Manager and within less than 6 months was running my own store. Was able to travel to different stores to help them and was moved several times each time accepting more responsibility with larger stores
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJanuary 19, 2018
Did not care about Hardworking people, as well as discriminated against illness constantly. Lack of leadership and advancement opportunities. Micromanagement when colleagues understood what to do
Positive work environment if remote; corporate is too competitive and cut-throat
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Westchester, ILJanuary 19, 2018
Overall, typical corporate work environment. Not extremely collaborative if you are not corporate based (in Illinois). It's your typical retail company in today's world of Amazon and home orders.
Pros
Remote position
Have an exit strategy
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2018
After almost 20 years and 1 lay off, I learned my lesson. Working here is a job, not a career. After attempting to relocate and not being offered even a living wage/salary (area was a 300% cost of living increase - salary offer was about 30% increase), it became clear. My time consisted of every department and experience at multiple store. The relationships at the store level were strong but it's clear the corporation doesn't appreciate it's human capital or it's competition. Scheduling is less flexible and benefits were severely reduced. Also, CEO turn over had become very high. I am happy to have exited on positive terms. Plan accordingly
Pros
Work environment, flexible scheduling
Cons
Low pay, infrequent raises, unclear advancement path
Follett
KEY HOLDER/TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Follett is a great company for student workers. They are extremely flexible with student schedule. The management team is outstanding and efficient. The environment is enjoyable.
Entry level job
Team Member II (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVJanuary 16, 2018
Very busy at the start of the semester and at the end. Process customer transactions as well as returns. Working as a team to complete daily tasks and increase productivity.
it's ok
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2018
it's okay to work there. the people seem to be stressed from the workload. it used to be a fun place to work but the environment has changed over the years. everything is work related now. There's no fun anymore.
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2018
I recommend this job for anyone interested in educational sales. Solid company with a great culture and advancement opportunities. For those looking into joining a solid team, the is a great fit.
It was a great place to work and our group was like having a second family.
Senior Partner Advocate (Former Employee) –  Westchester, ILJanuary 10, 2018
A typical day at work was answering phone calls or e-mails from customers that had a variety of reasons for calling. Such as placing an order, looking for and invoice or credit, disputing an invoice or credit.

I was involved in many special projects and being a senior in the department meant I was the go to for inquiries from coworkers or other departments within the division.

The management team was awesome and supported our department on a daily basis and they were always available to voice our concerns to.

Workplace culture was very laid back as long as you did your job.

Hardest part of the job. N/A

Enjpoyable part of the job was the coworkers, managers and clients.
Pros
Great coworkers and management staff
Cons
I don't have any Cons for this company
Student Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, OHJanuary 5, 2018
The job was great because they would work around my class schedule. We were a smaller campus store so there were long hours of low work flow. My manager was fantastic and let me try a lot of new things for the store such as social media accounts and promotional events
Pros
great for the student worker
Cons
slow environment
Unfortunately, Follett is experiencing tough competition in the Textbook Industry
Senior Partner Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Westchester, ILJanuary 3, 2018
The one very good thing about Follett is the work/life balance. Especially if there are family issues that need addressing.

Their benefits are good, but used to be exceptional. The benefits mirror other large corporate companies (with the exception of Software Companies).

The workplace culture is good in most of the departments, but some departments are tough.

Top management has not adapted to the growing competition provided by Amazon and other independent companies in a timely manner and therefore is hurting financially. They do have other divisions that are doing well.

The hardest part of the job is inept software across the company which results in lower productivity and increased operational costs. If top management gave the dollars it needed to provide exceptional software, they could have had less employees with more productivity.

The best part of the job is interaction with customers and trying to meet the needs of the customer without compromising the profits of the company.
Pros
working with customers
Cons
top management mismanagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Follett Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.