Follett Corporation Employee Reviews

Management does not work well with subordinates
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Northern NJSeptember 18, 2018
Supervisors would regularly call during active sales calls and expect to be spoken to before the customer. This type of micromanagement called lost sales and a low level of trust from customers.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Down-trending market
Meet customers every day
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILSeptember 18, 2018
Good company. Good mission. Over 140 years of serving the educational marketplace for K-12. Leader in Library Software and Digital Resource Tracking Software of education entities.
Pros
Salary plus commission
Cons
Shiftwork implemented 5-31-18
Mediocre dead end big corporation
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CASeptember 15, 2018
Not the worst place to work by any means, and a fairly flexible schedule, but the whole place is built on the idea everyone is gone within 6 months. It is very clear from very strange rules that make doing your job difficult that corporate does not trust or care about employees
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
no advancement, weird atmosphere
Fast pace, interesting, fun, and complicated
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 14, 2018
While working for this company I realized that I enjoy a fast pace enviorment. The only negative thing that I have to say is the store thay I worked at was too lax and often blured lines betwwn business and personal. But overall, management was great and fun and it was a great place to work.
Productive work place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 12, 2018
Company is efficient and highly driven. Company likes to promotes from within.Company provides the ability to transfer to other jobs in different locations.
Pros
Great Benefits
Workplace Culture
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2018
Micro Management from managers outdated corporate culture Many layoff in several different departments. Company is not welcome to new strategies and ideas.
Pros
Sales Team
Ar specialists
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Westchester, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Too much office polotics, people think they are above you because of the rutle they hold. There was no yope of advancement or moving up in company. I have stayed as a contract employee since I began with no plan of becoming Permanent
Pros
Newly updated office
Cons
.low pay
Workplace with Horrible Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJSeptember 4, 2018
I worked at a college bookstore as a college student; even though I wasn't a typical bachelor's degree-holding, full-time working employee, I could instantly see that the whole company's management was not even average.
A tiny bookstore had four managers, who had absolutely no ideas how to manage employees or operate the store.
Most employees didn't care at all about the workplace and formed cliques within the bookstore, which I've found childish and time-wasting.
The pay was also extremely low, which I was willing to endure as a college student; however, the extreme physical demand the work required (Couldn't sit unless you were in a higher position on the hierarchy) was not worth the low pay.
I would not go back even as a college graduate.
Pros
30 minute break every 8 hours, discount on certain items
Cons
Management, Low pay, benefits, No room for advancement, Ridiculous physical demand
Worst job I ever had
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 3, 2018
Worked as a retail sales associate at the UTD location.
Manager made it a goal to make every day as bad as possible. I would be constantly micromanaged, given countless tasks in a day as there we were understaffed all the time.
Minimum-wage like pay and was expected to come in even when sick.
Depressing place to work for sure especially at UTD.
Pros
Cons
Rude Manager, Little Break Time, Low Pay, Brutal work.
Management Stlyes
Director of Course Materials (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXSeptember 2, 2018
The management styles over the 4 years of working for Follett drastically differed and our college suffered for it. The home office would drastically cut back hours for part-timers to one day a week and full time employees only have a maximum of 30 hours per week. When it was rush time the full time employees are expected to work 60+ hours and then be belittled if you were unable to work the entire 60+ hours due to other obligations i.e school, kids, or other job. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting so many wonderful people and making lasting friends. Also, Follett does offer company discounts.
Pros
Great Friends, 10% discount on Textbooks
Cons
Poor Management
Vision
Curriculum Content Consultant (Current Employee) –  Westchester, ILAugust 29, 2018
Follett has a great vision but does not hire effective managers. Wide product lines to chose from making sales effective.
Working with schools and providing them with their educational needs is rewarding.
Pros
Visionary Company
Cons
Middle Management does not understand position to be effective.
Ok company to work for
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Coalinga, CAAugust 29, 2018
Working for follett I learned a lot about retail management and handling customers. I also felt comfortable in my position. Was a great opportunity to work with the public.
Pros
Friendly atomsphere
Cons
No room for advancement
It was a paycheck
Book processor (Current Employee) –  McHenry, ILAugust 27, 2018
Horrible management! Complete lack of communication between management. Forcing you to work overtime due to poor customer service. My supervisor in particular is a bully!. She demeans you, never lets you finish a sentence because she assumes what you'll say. Cuts you down in front of others and is just a poor excuse for a supervisor. She has no business in that role.
Pros
Again, a paycheck
Cons
Management. Discrimination.
Horrible management
Order picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILAugust 22, 2018
Used to be a decent place to work but they changed things and made it so it's impossible to get your incentive or even make your numbers. They don't care about the staff at all!!! They sugar coat everything to make themselves look good. They don't even turn the air on even on the hottest days so your expected to make your numbers while sweating. I have never been so miserable at a job in my life and I have gave my all at this job. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 22, 2018
Consistent work with leadership opportunities. At Follett, they give you the tools to be a leader amongst your peers and take control of any situation.
Management was awesome
Associate (Former Employee) –  La Plume, PAAugust 21, 2018
Management was flexible with my school schedule. The wanted me succeed. If I needed time off it was okay as long as I told them a head of time I was very great full to work there while I was in school
Excellent place to work
Supervisor, Technical Writing (Former Employee) –  Westmont, ILAugust 20, 2018
I started at Follett and worked for 8 years, left for 5 years and came back for another 10 years. I was laid off because of a reduction in work force, but was given generous severance package, including free employment agency help. I would work there again, if offered the chance. Excellent work environment and culture--very people oriented and cognizant of the whole person and your life outside of work.
Pros
Excellent work-life balance; offered day care benefits; excellent health insurance, 401k, life insurance options, retirement program. Sent me to workshops and paid for my membership in a professional organization.
Cons
The work product is changing because of changes in their market. They were a little slow to adjust, but are doing very well now.
Sinking Ship
Store Manager III (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAAugust 15, 2018
Low morale overall. Lack of general direction. Things have gone downhill for several year with no promise of an upswing. Inconsistent raises if any and bonuses are inconsistent.
Great Place to start and learn how to assist customers with finding items
Librarian Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 13, 2018
M typical day would start out with help and or assisting students and or teachers with finding course materials, supplies and or information needed. My typical day would also involve helping keep store clean and to make sure everything was in order and stoked neatly, and if there was something that needed to be orders, I made sure to let them know. I would have to restock the drink refrigerator, and to count of how many items were added and or what needed to be reorganized. I would have to vacuum floors, if there were crumbs, and or anything that made the place look dirty, and or neatly cleanse.
Great place for retail work
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Joshua Tree, CAAugust 9, 2018
An excellent job for students looking for work on campus. A great way to get to know faculty and staff. There is plenty of room to grow if ever you wish to pursue a career at Follett bookstores, Management is always willing to work with you to help further your career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Follett Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss