Food Bank for New York City Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Learning and Nice Environment
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 10, 2018
I was able to learn what is it like to work in an IT environment.Also,had the confidence to work when it comes to assisting employees for tech support. What I enjoy about is the willingness to help you learn new skills based on your career and were happy to assist me when asking questions related to Information Technology.
Lack of good management.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 19, 2017
lack of good management and lack of fairness. basically, the management style is to use people talents and not promote them or increase their salary. Job description changes overnight without consultation.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2017
Tax experience not required but helps. Great pay was great. Flexible schedule also. You would love working for the city of new York. I did! Added more tax experience to my belt.
Good benefits package
HR/ Payroll Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2017
Good place to work with an excellent benefits package , contribution to the 403(b) retirement plan excellent but is no room for advance. The mission of the organization are excellent , help people regardless of race, religion, group of managers working very hard, long hours.
Pros
Good Benefit package
Cons
no room for advance
Very High Paced Work Environment but worth it.
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2017
The staff and overall company always wants to keep its employees in a good state of mind. They want you to succeed, and always throw new tasks at you.
Great organization
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  39 BroadwayAugust 15, 2016
Worked there for 6 years. I felt like there was no room for growth there. Great organization just need better leadership.
Great Learning Experience
Food/ Funds Sourcing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2016
This was a great introduction into the world of non-profit. The work is extremely fulfilling and all staff care about improving the lives of our most vulnerable communities within New York City.
New Experience,challenging but loved it.
Volunteer Tax Preparer (VITA) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2016
Great learning experience,environment,coworkers and clients was friendly.Cooperation between managers and workers was outstanding.
Pros
New and exciting every day.
Cons
Seasonal
Flexible
Member Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2016
My position allowed me to work directly with the membership which was very rewarding and pleasant. Having a flexible schedule allowed me to manage my private life and work, it was very convenient.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Upper management can be a little disconnected
Great Place To Work
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2016
People are passionate about the mission and that's what drives the culture. Very creative and innovative culture and management has high expectations for employees. They reward and recognize employees and look to create opportunities for movement within the organization.
Pros
outstanding benefits package and great culture
Productive and fun work environment
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 12, 2015
Fun place to work. Its all about the customers and providing a great service to them. Its great meeting new people and putting smile on their faces. Taxes are important and must be done correctly. There is a great supportive management to help things go by accurately.
Cons
its only for the tax season
Productive workplace with supportive staff
Tax Preparer, New York, New York (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2015
Small but fun and happy workplace that was accompanied by friendly, supportive and respectable management. Challenging at times, but it was a way to push you personally and to deal with a high volume of work. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was working along with my staff and learning more and more from each one. As demand got higher, the office started to get crowded.
Work for nothing, get little back.
Volunteer Call Center Support and Data Entry (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 10, 2015
The company doesn't give much notice of what you'll be expected to do for your day in advance. Also, very little supervision and instruction when you show up. Usually just a one page outline of tasks.
Fun place to work
Nutrition and Health Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 26, 2015
Overall my experience at The FoodBank for New York City was pleasing. Working for the CookShop program gave you a sense of doing a good deed while working.
It is good company but it is a lot of work
Associate Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2015
Received a lot of cash and credit cards to deposit. Process the payment and scanner copy and go to bank. clerical work and reports every day.
Pros
one hour lunch
Cons
healthcare
regular warehouse job
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2014
I packed and sorted donated food items for people in need within the new york city area. hardest part of the job is heavy lifting. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that i was doing it for a good cause.
Pros
quiet work area, focused employees
Cons
gloomy work area
Starting Point in my Career
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2014
The organization is my career's starting point. When I was studying in college, the organization offered me the part time jobs, and I was responsibility the Chinese and English telephone line, and doing the prescribing for clients. The organization is my first step to the Society of NYC.
Interesting place where no two days are ever the same.
Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2014
Food Bank is a good company overall. Needs improvement, but still a good place to work.
A great place to volunteer that is actively working to aid those in the NYC metropolitan area in the battle to end hunger.
Government Relations Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2014
An excellent organization at which I have a great amount of knowledge about structure and organization of non-profit organizations as well a sense of strategic decision making based upon relevant laws and regulations.
Love the mission
Volunteer Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2013
I'd really enjoyed working for Food Bank. The mission and the organization's commitment to ending hunger in NYC is powerful.

However, my contract is ending and I need a permanent position.