Food City Employee Reviews

a great job
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 14, 2018
it was a great job just a lot of cleaning work for night shift and a lot of cooking and preparing for morning shift. the pay was nice, was difficult to become full time.
Its a good place to start
Curtesy Clerk/meat department (Current Employee) –  Tazewell, TNJuly 13, 2018
Its a good place to start. I have enjoyed my time here. I would like to have something better with more hours so I can better provide for my family. I'm looking for a career I can advance in and retire with.
Pros
Have worked with me when family member got sick.
Cons
Only part time. No benefits
Loved the people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 13, 2018
Got tired of being pushed around but I loved how most people teeayed me. . It’s hard to get time off. I’m emergancys they are forgiving. I loved my job here
Fun co workers and easy work, bad hours and corporate managers
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJuly 11, 2018
It's an ok place to work part-time if you don't need a lot of hours. They work with your schedule and are open 6am to 12am. The other employees (at least at my store) are easy to get along with and the work (cashier) is pretty easy and laid back.

That being said, you don't get paid a lot and they tend to not give people pay raises when pay raises are due. The store where I worked had registers that would freeze and stop working randomly all throughout the day. They have been like this for the last 3 years and every year we ask for better ones. There is even a register that hasn't worked at all for over a year, it still hasn't been replaced. On top of this, corporate does not give our store many hours to work with anymore and major hour cuts are made pretty much every month even when it's busy. Many people who need hours get their hours cut and the people who are left to work while everyone else leaves are left to pick up all the slack by themselves.
Pros
Easy work, works with schedule, nice employees
Cons
Corporate cares more about saving money than giving people their hours/pay raises, or having decent registers.
Terrible
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJuly 10, 2018
The managers would either not bring something up that was an issue with them at all or they would bring up an issue and drag on about it for way too long when they couldve just said "I see problem A fix it with solution B". Very passive-aggressive. working hours and the constant terrible top hits radio grind on your very soul.
Pros
Cons
terrible bosses, terrible pay, Retail radio
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2018
learned great customer services, deal with a lot of customer all day, handle the register. thought me a lot of new skills that can be use for future jobs.
Sick job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bristol, VAJuly 9, 2018
Great place for a first job. Certain stores will work with your school schedules, you just have to communicate with them. Good environment, but gets repetitive.
Fun place to work with great peopld
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marion, VAJuly 8, 2018
It was a good job. It just doesnt pay enough. The management was extremely nice. Everything was done in an orderly fashion. Only thing I did not like was having to make it a competition on who could ring up someone the fastest.
Pros
Long Lunch
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Solid but boring workplace.
Fuel Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 8, 2018
Food city is a good place to work for young people looking for some extra cash. If you do not intend to be a manager then no real advancement in pay. They give plenty of hours.
Cons
Worst place I have ever worked at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lisbon, MEJuly 7, 2018
So they only have part time jobs and do not provide benefits or overtime. They refuse to give raises unless demanded. For example they really wanted me to be a front end manager and trainer and I refused telling them that i would need more money for more responsibility. After about a month of them begging me to be a manger and trainer and me demanding they gave me a whole 50 cent raise (which is the only raised received the whole 5 years i was there). a lot more responsibility for .50 cents. Then the last year I was there they told us that we were only allowed to work a maximum of 28 hours a week and no more. So there were days where my shift ended at 2 and they would make me leave whether I was in the middle of helping a customer or not. They didn't care that I had children at home to feed and refused to give me more hours. They don't allow you to have a drink of water at your register while working with the excuse well we don't want you to spill. So when I came to work with pneumonia and a chest infection (yes i had to work because they do not offer PTO) I was still told no water at my desk because the other people might do it. Had to walk to the break room just to get some relief of water. And they seem prejudice. When I was there, there were only boys working the stocking area and only girls working the cash registers and no colored people. Always seemed weird to me.
Pros
Cons
everything

Want to know more about Food City?

Ask a question
management
Johnson city (Current Employee) –  Johnson cityJuly 2, 2018
Management at my store is not the way it should be, when supervisors and management are against their department heads it makes for a rough work day. Things are not being done properly as far a management decisions go.
Fast pace environment, organizational work
Bakery clerk (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZJune 30, 2018
Working at food City required being able to work at a fast pace, knowingly learning different things learning to be organized, good with numbers memorizing numerous things
Pros
No experience, quickly had to learn everything in one night, night shifts alone first week of working
Cons
Learned to memorize things quicker then usual
good if your just starting work
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clinton, TNJune 25, 2018
I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone who wants to make a decent amount of money, they don't pay well and they didn't treat me like an asset, because I wasn't.
Pros
Cons
everything
Food CIty
Tortilleria Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 25, 2018
It was a good place to work at i was just receiving little hours. Needed more. Plus i got moved to a far away location. I would recommend as a part time side job.
apply elsewhere
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Crossville, TNJune 23, 2018
there are 3 parties. the usual employee. the employee that is better then everyone and attunes to those that are the same. Then there are the third type that look at each other and the public and don't let drama effect them. That's the problem with jobs. Some people thrive on causing drama.
Good place to work for temporary timing.
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Blountville, TNJune 23, 2018
Paid based on experience. Every department has some chance for advancement, but it's not likely unless someone is desperately needed, one has a lot of experience doing a particular job, or a position becomes available. It takes more time than it should for raises to become effective, and job title switching counts on if the head of the store believes that you're COMPLETLEY ready for the position.
Pros
Good starter job
Cons
No discounts. Slow if not close to impossible for career advancement. Slow with raises.
Solid place to work.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Claypool Hill, VAJune 22, 2018
Stocking shelves and customer service.

Stocking, unloading trucks and putting away stock.

Most managers are descent.

I was a good place to work, people were friendly.

night stock was the hardest part for me, because it was third shift.

Most enjoyable part was meeting all the people.
It is a fast pace job, with a stressful environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Crossville, TNJune 21, 2018
As soon as I clock in, I go out to the salad bar and check on all items that need filling or replacing. Then I start slicing meats or cheeses at the request of the customers. Most of the management are very helpful, seem concerned with how your day is going. The hardest part of the job is the stress. The good part of the job is helping the customers so they are satisfied with my work.
Pros
free samples
Cons
no paid sick days, or vacations for part-time
Fun Place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 21, 2018
It is a fun place to work at. You get to see new faces consistently as people are always in need of grocery shopping. I would recommend as a temporary job.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Low Pay
Very stressful and at times poor management.
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Tazewell, VAJune 20, 2018
It is a very stressful job to work as a Night Stocker fast paced and hard work, its not as simple as jut staying up all night. large work load and if stuff isn't done like they think it should be the say you're doing something wrong or that the previous team would not have had a problem with it. Some managers would give hard times for not doing job right but then they would ask where stuff goes because they do not know how do do said job and should handle things differently.
Pros
1st 15min break is paid.
Cons
Pain

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Food City. Our community is ready to answer.