Food City

United States548 reviews

Clear
2.7Pay & Benefits

cityhourcustomgroceryfoodmanageramazestore

A good place to work depending on who the big boss is

I worked at food city for about 4 years. The work environment is stressful most of the time and mangers tend to take there mess ups out on the workers

Pros

usually good coworkers, 30-1 hour lunch breaks, up to two breaks, occasional free lunch, good benefits

Cons

boys can’t have long hair, mangers get mad easily, they put a lot on you, pay kinda sucks

Horrible place to work

It’s a horrible place to work. They are short on staff so they make you work without a break and the manager doesn’t like to help out. And when you ask for your break or lunch they act like we are not supposed to get one

it's a job

the way to get easily promoted is as soon you turn 18yo, if you are a high schooler there is room for you, just not yet for other things or a better pay.Being a cashier here is awful, the breaks are short and if you have a manager that has never been one before, they consider breaks to be unnecessary (tip for anyone: just take your brakes, the company encourages everyone to do so) Also the place needs better management in certain areas, because it can become a place of just rumors and mislead, other than that the pay is weekly so that makes it alright

Pros

weekly pay

Cons

short breaks

Great job for teens in high school.

This job was a great starting point as a high schooler/college student. They worked around my college schedule and helped me with a wok study to become a pharmacy technician. It launched my career in pharmacy.

Pros

Flexible schedules

Cons

Not the greatest benefits

Good High-school job

I worked here 2 years while I was in high school and it was a good job to just clock in and scan groceries but I never got asked to do anything else. It was hard to talk with other coworkers because they were so far away so if you want a job that you do the exact same task for 8 hours straight this is a perfect job

Pros

Hour lunch, benefits

Cons

Never got schedule right

It’s a good job to start out with

Let’s face it, retail isn’t glorious but for getting basics, it’s not…terrible. The people at my store are definitely the nicer of the bunch compared to what I worked with in the past. However, the pay is terrible, especially for all they have you do. I’ve done cashiering, bagging groceries, getting carts, and watching the uscan for a whopping “8” dollars an hour. So really if you want a job to make a little bit to survive, go for it, but avoid at all costs if you expect a fair job.

Pros

Easier to schedule time off

Cons

Short Breaks, Cheap Pay

Coworkers and nice clean big store, good schedule

Coworkers and nice clean big store, good schedule, I had weekends off. Nice friendly customers,,Complements from the customers, coworker said that I am a hard worker, customer said that I was giving excellent customer service

Pros

Weekends off

Cons

The pay was really low, I was required to go outside and get the carts no matter what the weather was.

Great employees, management is lacking

Very little pay for ever increasing work load. Store level managers are professional. Corporate managers are only interested in their authority. Can't really make a living working here. Not enough pay.

Pros

Friendly co workers

Cons

Only persons that make a good living are poor managers that know the right folks.

Great for students

Great place to work for high school or college students. 1 hour lunches. 15 minute paid break. Works well with scheduling. Can be stressful when others call in.

Extremely Low Wages, High Turnover

Night stocker, pay is $10/hr. Downstack the truck, stock the shelves. Extremely high turnover. never enough people to get the job completed, BUT you don't have to stay past your scheduled end time.

Pros

Close to my home. No one bothers me at work.

Cons

Very low pay.

A decent place to start

Stressful because usually not enough staff. Pay is lower and little chance for raise. Sometimes hard to get help from management. Some people can be helpful.

Good job

It is a good job with great people. Paid breaks, hour lunches. Only complaint I have is the pay and the way the company goes about paying a new person a lot more than someone who has been working there for years.

Pros

Hour lunches, schedule

Cons

Pay

Upper Management

They are willing to make you work harder but not willing to compensate. They are so short staffed because the pay is so low. They don't give raises when they should or say they are going to.

Cons

hours, balance, management

Flexible on your schedule

People I work with are pretty nice and are good about working with you on your schedule. So I'd say they are flexible and not a bad place to work for they could just pay their people a little better and have better benefits company wise

Good benefits

Good pay and benefits. Good training and diversity. It is hard to get time off work for an unplanned event. They don’t provide any type of “sick days”.

Pros

Pay, insurance

Cons

Work schedules

Overall it is a good job. The pay is good depending on experience. In my opinion they can do a better job at staffing some of the side departments ( Meat, Deli, Bakery and Produce).

Pros

Weekly Pay, Benefits and Vacation Pay

Cons

Long hours and 6 day work weeks.

Not a fun or fair work place.

I've worked here almost 3 years, I have never gotten a raise, and have been passed over for every promotion. Got covid, was bitched at for missing work.

Pros

They're willing to work with your schedule.

Cons

They have low pay, if you work in the cold thay make you pay for one of their jackets (you cant wear your own), and no employee discounts.

Horrible pay, Gas and Go is stress free

Well the pay is probably not enough for a family even if two people worked here full time. I'd advise against being a cashier UNLESS you work at the gas n go. Most stress free and easy job I've ever had. Just refuse to work Wednesdays when it's double points off gas and the dummies come out who can't figure out our gas pumps. In their defense the pumps are slightly counter intuitive.

Pros

Gas n go cashier is money for nothing

Cons

The money is next to nothing for all employees below store manager.

Great 1st job or job from Gap year

Very flexible for someone with a school schedule or someone with a second job. Some managers was better than others but it is what it is. They weren’t terrible but enough to make you be like eugh. Worst thing is working with the public but that’s with any job

Pros

Easy

Cons

Gossip, Short Breaks

Great job during high school or to get through college

The location I worked at was very familiar with each other in a professional and personal way. Occasionally too personal but thats because they cared. Great first job to start learning responsibility and room to grow in the company

Pros

Long lunches, flexible schedules

Cons

Position I was in had no benefits

its go go go

its go go go never good enough they dont praise the good only point out the bad always understaffed does not pay attention to all department just the numbers

Pros

good insurance

Cons

overworked underpaid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Food City. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits