Food Lion

Based on 3,358 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Store Manager make a big difference in quality work environment. I had a excellent store Manager who took time to cross train and provide hands on assistance to each department within the store.

Pros

Room for pay increase

Cons

Need hour lunch

horrible

terrible place to work management does not care about employees whatsoever. employees hardly pull their weight leaving few employees working really hard while others talk and dilly dally around their work.

Pros

Cons

everything

Enjoy helping people

Never worked @ grocery store before, I was made to feel welcome, other employees help in anyway they can. Management seems to be fair & very nice, need more hour, pay needs to be more. Overall I enjoy being there.

Pros

Do provide food, needs to be healthy not SUGAR

Cons

Not enough hours, seeking 2nd job

Customers can be mean to people who have no power.

Being a cashier is draining and really hard on the lower back. People should get to change tasks more often. It's enjoyable to talk to people all day.

Pros

Having a job.

Cons

Being a cashier.

good

I enjoyed my job and coworkers at target distribution. Everyone worked as a team and no action went unappreciated. I am grateful to have been a part of the company for the time I was employed. It is truly a great place to work.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Great workplace

Great workplace to develop on day to day operations. Flexible schedule but can do better with pay. Thee is room for advancement if you show them you are willing to work

Good job for teenagers.

So much favoritism towards certain associates who where the company before it turned into Food Lion. No room for advancement in this store they make sure of that.

Pros

Cons

Long hours sometimes with only 30 min lunch.

At first was great but as times changed and people changed it got worse and pretty much was a joke!

A typical day in the beginning was easy a little frustrating at times but more manageable and time efficient. Now it's a complete joke management is all sticking together and not running the store correctly, the employees have no sense of direction and it is a complete zoo.

Pros

At first was like a family and was more sufficient in customer service.

Cons

Management and the amount of pay is rediculous for the work, Since employees have been changed its Out of control

Good place to work depending on position

I enjoyed my time with Food Lion as the receiver and would recommend working here. The compensation was great but a lot of responsibilities for this position.

benefits

Cons

long days

Good Pay for Managers

Food Lion accepts LGBT and paid fairly for a grocery store. You can make up to $21 a hour in management. They work with your schedule and offer fair benefits.

Pros

Flexibility with PTO

Cons

Call Outs

Jobs at Food Lion

See more jobs

Meeting people

Food lion does NOT CARE ABOUT ITS EMPLOYEES The more you do for them the more they want you to do20 cent raise in 3 years, I worked in 3 departments wherever I was needed I was there 5 1/2 years They NEVER TELL YOU WHAT A GOOD JOB YOUR DOING.

Cons

Management is a piece of work, read between the lines, they wont let me post the words

It is terrible.

It is the most god awful job of all time. I hated every second of it. Thank god I left that prison or else I would be the most miserable person alive. You are severely underpaid. You’re asked to do way too much.

Pros

The company doesn’t treat employees like people

I’m a student. I need time to get work done and a schedule that allows me the hours I need on the weekends. They’re not very cooperative with the schedule. I also tend to get sick, in COVID you’d think they would allow sick days but no. You get three absences within a 90 day period and sick days count as an absence. Today I have a super sore throat, my bodies aching, and really I need to get caught up on school work. But I have to go to work because I’ll get fired otherwise. All of my absences were me being sick. The company says it values people, but it doesn’t value it’s employee's

Pros

Nice coworkers

Cons

Short paid break, unpaid lunch, never resting always working

A good place to work

I enjoy working at Food Lion. The management team are caring and helpful. I like the work. Pays decently. I have had a problem in my personal life since starting there and the were very understanding and helped in any way they could.

Pros

Good environment

Cons

Not alot of people get full time

Ok for a first job

If your a highschool kid just starting out its fine. The schedule is forever changing so its almost impossible to plan around it. Management loves playing favortism, and seems to have no problem singling you out if they dont like you.

Pros

Cons

Bad work/ life balance unless your one of the highschoolers working

Job sucks, and the company sucks

This company is all politics. They hire bodies, and preach to take care of customers but ultimately do not care about the customers or the employees they hire.

Family environment

Food Lion strives on being part of the community. As an employee, you become part of a family with the other associates. Through COVID-19, Food Lion has always been one step behind everyone else. The pay is not accommodating for the amount of work and stress that the associates and managers have to deal with every day.

Pros

Friendly environment.

Cons

Bad health care and low pay.

Toxic work environment.

Quit as grocery manager last November. the culture of the company's is toxic , compensation is stifled , and advancement is almost impossible for the African American employees. Would never go back.

Pay was great

I worked there for 11 months, honestly my most favorite place i ever worked at. They paid me what i feel like was a living wage, whenever i needed a weekend off they were fine with it, my schedule was a set schedule 9 to 6 can’t beat that. The managers were never around the store kind of just ran itself, only thing i negative i have to say is mainly about a person that worked there overall as a store it was a good experience for me.

Pros

they actually pay you experience pay

Cons

one person ruined it for me

A sense of family, although a very dysfunctional one

Spent around 5 years working for this company. After the first 2 years, it all went down hill. I took on so much uncompensated responsibility. You will NEVER make more than 15 an hour here as an associate, meanwhile places like Target and Aldi START at 15. Don't waste your time here. But since all the associates know that is terrible, there is a small sense of comradery. The company as a whole does not care about the well-being of their associates. If they did, they would pay them enough to be able to afford gas, bills, and food. And not have to sacrifice one for the other. Good luck.

Pros

Great co-works to complain with

Cons

Sorry, clueless management

5 different stores, 5 different cities. All the same.

This company is okay for part-time work I suppose. The compensation is laughable. There are other grocery retailers that pay better for the same positions.

Pros

The best thing about the job is that sometimes you have really nice coworkers.

Cons

Poor management, low compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Food Lion. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8K

Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Food Lion.
Powered byComparably