Food Lion

Food Lion Employee Reviews

United States11,526 reviews

Found 11,526 reviews matching the searchSee all 11,554 reviews
foodlionfoodgrocerystorecashiercustomerdeliregister

Store Manager make a big difference in quality work environment. I had a excellent store Manager who took time to cross train and provide hands on assistance to each department within the store.

Pros

Room for pay increase

Cons

Need hour lunch

Laid back

The environment was pretty laid back. I worked as Cashier and Food Lion To Go. Cashiering was annoying and FLTG was much better. Coworkers are usually either very young or older. Pay was good for a 16 year old.

Food Lion insights

Based on 6,528 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Supportive coworkers and safe environment. Customers are worst part.

Food Lion is ok. I have quite a few coworkers who are very supportive and check in on me and others daily. It's nice to work in a climate controlled environment. I like all the different people I meet, the nice ones anyways lol. I dislike that I was trained very quickly and expected to retain it all even quicker. Very disrupted training bc my boss/trainer kept having to step away and handle other issues. Baggers are a thing of the past. Bagging groceries is our responsibility and you must put perishables in a blue plastic bag and non perishable in white. Nice idea for the customers but when it's really busy and you're bagging your own groceries and have a huge order that's not separated, it can really be a pain and slows down the ringing process. Be prepared to also get carts. Cashier's take turns to retrieve carts at my store. QA only goes when ordered to buy MOD. Be prepared to work every single weekend and holiday for the rest of your life bc everyone else will claim they can't work them. Worst customers I've ever experienced in 15+ years retail. You need thick skin and relentless patience.

Food Lion Piney Green, NC

Worked here for awhile. it’s a good job. it paid me $11/hr. shifts range from 7-3, 3-11. Cashering is easy. Self Checkout is easy also. You can get promoted pretty fast like within 6-year

Decent pay, overworked

Good easy work when things are actually flowing, and associates are always fun to talk to, however management is horrible and doesn’t work with you.

I wouldn’t work there again.

I honestly couldn’t stand working here. I did like most of my managers and some of my coworkers but the store manager was mean and very rude. They are not lenient at all.

Fun team of employees who are friends instead of just work associates Always understaffed, and I do feel appreciated

It’s an all around good job at FoodLion but it’s harder than most people expect, it’s not a piece of cake or just pushing buggies, food on a conveyor belt belt, slicing deli items, stocking shelves it’s so much more. Freezers , cleaning, boxing and bagging items freshly made daily, being polite and positive when customers are rude, and it’s expected of every department. If everyone would be nice to each other customers and employees it’s a great place to work when there’s enough people staffed.

Pros

Vacation after a year, requested time off is mostly granted, fast paced environment so time goes quickly

Cons

Understaffed in every department, warehousing department is always out of stock due to shortages and driver shortages, never the same schedule it always varies

Horrible place to work

Management is absolutely horrible they don’t care about any of their employees and they’re just overall horrible people to work with they yell at you for the smallest things and make you feel like garbage

Nope

Management was a mess, the store was a mess, corporate was a mess. Its a big no for me. Drama drama DRAMA. Go work for target to Walmart, at least you'd get paid more.

mostly okay

you meet a lot of amazing people, either coworkers or customers. when I left the starting pay got a big bump so its that's better, but it seems like the employees will get the short end of the stick when it comes to getting rewarded for going above and beyond. there are some customers that will creep you out, scare you or are just rude for no reason.

Pros

work closely with every department, some amazing customers

Cons

barely get hours, wont hire people full time, lazy people, petty stuff

Not good

It’s okay would not recommend working here. You won’t move into full time always part time, they cut your hours so find something else to do anywhere is better.

Very flexible with scheduling and a good first job.

I started at Food Lion when I was 16 years old as my first job. My managers worked around my school and sports schedule and were very understanding when I had to call-out due to sudden changes. I believe that this company is a great place to start when entering the workforce. A typical day at work for me is as follows (customer lead):I would clock in and check the schedule to see who is working today. I would then make sure that we had enough carts inside to last us for a good 15 minutes. I would then check all of the registers for bags and say hello to the cashiers. Throughout my shift I would help the cashiers with any issues, bag large orders for them, retrieve carts from outside, and help in any way possible. The hardest part of the job is getting through the holiday rushes, but it is truly a great work experience.

Pros

30 minute lunches, paid vacation/holiday time (even for part-time workers), flexible scheduling

Cons

Low pay for starting workers

Favoritism

They really play a lot of favoritism there but it’s still a decent job with a decent pay. Some people they are great but you got other people that are not good

it’s okay

pay is alright, management is pretty good & coworkers are fun to be around. Customers pretty hit or miss but mostly are decent people. Hours are good & there’s good flexibility

Okay place to work temporarily

Working at Food Lion was okay. Definitely not somewhere to stay forever, although there were a few employees who seemed to be doing just that. The pay sucked and the job was stressful but doable. One good thing is that most of the people who I worked with were great.

Good Management

Amazing team to work with. They are a lot of fun to be around. Most of the clientele are older but that was never a con for me. I really had a fun time working there.

Better than most beach employers

It can be hit or miss at Food Lion, depending on your management. Like anywhere, some are better than others. The pay is okay. Hours are decent. You will work your tail off in the summer and be kicked to the curb in the off season if you are not full time, if you are at a resort store. The amount of payroll this company sends to its individual stores is sad for the amount of work that needs to be done. This biggest problem the company has is that it doesn’t rotate its district managers like other firms under the Ahold-Delhaize umbrella.

Pros

Paid vacations, holiday leave, sick leave. Position availability, store locations to home

Cons

Not a lot of top down communication. No employee discount. If your shirts wear out, you must purchase to replace.

Productive and fast paced

The good thing about being a cashier, it was very easy experience as long as you paid attention to what you had to do, after ringing up a customer putting back the food on the floor on the shelves, it's very rewarding regardless of all the walking around focusing on numbers and where every little detail of the foods were put back correctly. Their still was customers who had to talk to you about their products or concerns which I was happy to do and they gave you compliments or gifts to show their appreciation. The bad part I just couldn't stand my space getting invaded by customers, & I needed more hours, plus their was this one particular employee there made me super uncomfortable, heard he wasn't there anymore. Plus, some employees who also worked as cashiers had attitudes or complained alot which did not sit well with me, I didn't bother nobody, maybe it was jealousy.

Pros

Private lockers, most employees were nice and respectful

Cons

15 min Short breaks, had to go outside in any weather to pull carts or pull trash

Poor management

I recently started working there a few weeks ago and my main problem is the lack of communication. They don't tell me anything and get mad at me for not knowing something no-one told me about. Some of the higher-ups are pretty unpleasant to work with.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Short lunch break Poor management

Wouldn’t work there

Long hrs not great pay and no pto for vacation or holidays as well as no personal time pto employees were great but management was terrible customers were very rude

Keeps you busy, pay wasn't great though

Working as an overnight stocker you are always busy all night long, overnight time it gets a pretty repetitive to completely put out a whole back stock of items just to come in the next day and do it all again if not more. Pay could definitely be improved, for all the physical labor you do they should pay more.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Food Lion. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Food Lion.
Powered byComparably

Compare Food Lion with

Food Lion reviews by popular job title

• Food Lion