Food Lion Employee Reviews

Found 7,777 reviews matching the search See all 7,794 reviews
learned alot
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCMarch 20, 2019
I learned alot at food lion I learned customer service there when I first started I would not talk to anyone I was very shy but they was like family and broke me out of that a great place to work it takes time but you gotta stick with it!
good place to work
Supervisor/Customer Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 20, 2019
over all, nice employees as well as nice customers. flexible hours and decent pay. management is always willing to help any situation, big or small. understanding employees make work life easy.
As a Cashier it all depends on who you're working with and the customers you get.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Goochland, VAMarch 20, 2019
It's nice at first but as you work there longer you begin to see the flaws and annoyances. Start off not everyone follows the rules by using a radio communicator, secondly even getting one from my store is hard because they either A. Don't work (Like a lot of people there) or B. Have low battery. Management is a complete joke, the manager himself will not let anyone get overtime since it infringes on how big his bonus is as well as poor skills all around for decision-making, managerial skills, communication skills. The only perk to this place is if you're a cashier you have a pretty free control of when you work.
Its retail
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orange, VAMarch 19, 2019
There isn't a lot of room to grow especially with the clique mentality of the front end, which is where I worked. .management sat in the back while we struggled on the front end. You constantly get yelled at for not asking for help even though you call and call and no one helps. My store manager was awesome but wouldn't hold anyone accountable which made other managers slack off.
Pros
Fun, goos pay, benefits
Cons
Management. Favoritism
Was not a bad job
Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  WVMarch 19, 2019
This was not a bad place to work I just dont like working with food. Pay was better than I thought it would be. If you truly work, learn and try advancement opportunities do come up.
Starting off I loved my manager. When they brought a new one in that was the end of my career there. Some people you just cant work with
Cons
A bad manager can ruin it
Every day offered something new
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMarch 19, 2019
I worked at Food Lion for a brief period in high school and because I was under 18, I was only allowed by law to work so many hours...so in the end, it was just wasn't worth it to me. However, I did notice that they did often promote people to higher positions based on merit. That was nice to see. Management as a whole was very helpful. Some days were slow, and others were extremely quick paced...like any grocery store.
Pros
high rate of promotion
Cons
short lunch breaks
Very Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, MDMarch 19, 2019
I worked part time as a cashier at Food Lion. I performed very well and was very good with the customers,however the store manager allowed certain employees to treat other employees very poorly,be rude and inpatient with them,,lie on them,very,very poor training,gossiping and favoritism. I like to shop at Food Lion but if the management is corrupt its a horrible place to work.
overall ok
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 19, 2019
working foodlion was cool. i enjoyed the job.the only part i didnt like was the customers that was rude or having a bad day.but i guess u can say thats anywhere.
Pros
people
Cons
standing
Food Lion
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCMarch 18, 2019
Sometimes it can be hard, stressful and relax. I wish Food Lion provide more hours and up the salary. I learn the meat department i wight the meat and put up the meat.
Pros
Manger
Cons
Salary and benefits longer breaks better team work more hours
Customer Service isn't for everyone
Sales/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDMarch 18, 2019
If you like working in a fast pace environment and doing on the spot problem solving then you may like it. But it requires a lot of patience especially when people are yelling in your face
Pros
flexible hours
Everything is backwards
Customer Lead (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 18, 2019
Job was backwards. They promote people that don’t do work and get written up but they don’t promote people that actually do their work. They overwork the employees. The front line is always backed up because the cashiers always calling out and mangenment does nothing about it.
Pros
A lot of hours
Cons
Overworked
Productive and stressful place
Food Lion Cashier (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 18, 2019
Food lion is a great place depending on who is managing it, it can be very stressful at times but I can’t say that I didn’t learn a lot from there....
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Having very rude customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 18, 2019
Food Lion is an awesome place to work. It's great interacting with the clients from all different backgrounds. It has taught me to accept people for who they are and I know that there is some good in most people.
Pros
Friendly environment
Just don't go there if you expect career advancement
Lead Stocker (Former Employee) –  Charlotte Hall, MDMarch 18, 2019
The worst run place ever. The employees aren't properly trained. The managers don't have a clue about customer service or just how to talk to their own employees. They work you like a slave but don't want you to get ot. So the minute you hit 40 hours they push you out the door. All in all just horrible
I was blessed to have a job there I really enjoyed the people that work there they were all courteous and very knowledgeable about their job's made my
Janitor quality assurance (Former Employee) –  Dunn North CarolinaMarch 17, 2019
I enjoyed working with the people there they were all very nice and courteous and very knowledgeable at their jobs I was a little confused about some of the ways they did things in the back rooms but I was a janitor I wasn't in supposed to be involved with stalking or anything to do with the groceries but all in all I enjoyed the job I was very disappointed that I had to quit because of my health but I knew that that could happen but I tried it and I'm disabled but I want to work I don't like being at home I like to be productive that's why I'm looking for a job now I want to thank Food Lion for giving me the opportunity to show that I could do what I was doing and I did a great job I was told that I did good good work over and over again and that made me feel good.
Pros
Great work environment, work with my hours with me, cat me with plenty of knowledgeable people in around me, always ask how everybody was doing, if you needed anything they would get it very quickly
Cons
What such a big store had a lot of walking to do in my legs just weren't made for it ready for it
Bakery (Former Employee) –  Nashville, NCMarch 17, 2019
At foodlion is a great work place. Other than the management, can be worked on a little more! They have great benifits. I enjoyed my little time I worked there.
Pros
Free lunch and good discounts
Cons
Short breaks or little to none
It was okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 17, 2019
I work as a night cashier, i worked 5 days a week. every night i would clean up the front end, which is vacuuming, wiping registers down, sweeping, locking up things, and retrieving carts.
Great place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMarch 16, 2019
It is a great place to work. Food lion is an equal opportunity company. Which I love. My location has always given me what I needed in my time of need and I took less hours when I had 2 jobs so others can get there money.
Pros
Great store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, VAMarch 16, 2019
Not a bad place to work, when I worked there I liked the management. If the pay was better I would have stayed the first time I worked there as a cashier and I later on went on to produce, which was great, but again the pay isn't the best when I was there.
This place is a pain to work for
Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 16, 2019
I worked as a grocery associate and stocking the shelves with a limited staff was extremely exhausting and very fast paced because of the workload we had to accomplish every day. I would need to be paid at least 20$ an hour to justify the amount of work we had to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Food Lion. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K
42.5K
32.1K

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight