Food Lion
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Food Lion Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA84 reviews
Fun place to work
work at Food Lion was a great experience, DM's provide support and growing opportunities.
Diversity was what I love the most. meeting people from all over the world.
Awesome job, great work environment
Being my first retail job, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect at first; I had only worked in the food industry before. However, I soon found that working at Food Lion was my best job yet. Between the friendly, welcoming coworkers, and the fun, fast-paced atmosphere, and great pay, I have something to look forward to going into work everyday.
Neutral experience; definitely not the most challenging job available
A typical day at work featured using a register, cleaning it, and retrieving carts from outside on occasion. Can't say I learned much, although I can say it aided in the development of my customer service skills. Management was good enough, but I didn't really connect with anyone there. I can recall feeling very bored almost every shift.
Pros
Shifts usually have both a break (15m) and lunch (30m)
Good grocery place
While I worked at food lion it was a friendly company. I felt like they rewarded and took appreciation for they’re workers. The managers were all helpful. The training is organized they don’t leave you by yourself until your ready.
Eh
Good place to work. It was fun while it lasted. Valuable retail experience while in high school. I am grateful for the experience while it lasted. yeah
Review
Overall working in food lion has miserable since day one. With there not being enough workers in some departments you can feel overwhelmed and frustrated with how slow you get through the work.
Other’s aspects
Mostly, I had the sensation that it’s more important to work quickly than correct. Sometime we need to take an additional time to do the things correctly.
Customer service
Had a great time working with company.
learned a lot from company. Nice and friendly management. I am very oriented to help people and solve their problems.
Meet with diffirent people everyday.
Its a pleasure to work. Friendly environment and helpful. Every department come to help customer. Customer get help better than any other grocery store.
food lion
it was nice working there customers were friendly felt like family hours were flexible to work around your schedule.. of course it being a grocery store it kind of stayed busy at times.. Ex; snow storm coming, kids out of school for holiday weekend.
Nice place to work
Became a stocker for the sole purpose of not wanting to talk to anyone while working. Food Lion (unlike most employers I talked to) was more than willing to hire me for the summer and got me a response within a DAY of getting interviewed. Nice place to work, nice people, and I got a free work out
Good Start
Good start, but underpaid for workload, new manager arrived and the environment got worse. Co workers very cool. Manager was very controlling and micro managing.
Cons
Manager
ok place to work
Stocking Shelves. Management is professional. Friendly and approachable. The hardest part of my job is unloading trailersby hand.Best time was payday.
Good place with great coworkers, but...
When I started working here, it was great. It was my first real job at 17, just before I graduated high school. As time went on, I began to find flaws in the place. We were understaffed on busy days and overstaffed on slow days. The management, for the most part, are friendly, but they are far too disconnected from the workers. In fact, the assistant manager even said to my face that he doesn't thoroughly check the book where we request days off; only the names, no other information. This wasn't a big problem, except for the fact that I nearly got screwed out of an important day off. The final straw for me, though, was today, July 4th. I won't go into the details, but suffice it to say, I'd rather not have a job than stay there any longer. As for the pay, it started at $9 an hour. After a year of work, it got bumped to $9.18 an hour. I'll be happy to leave this place.
Pros
Good food, great coworkers, great prices
Cons
Short breaks, inconsistent schedule, flawed management
Productive pace, poorly managed
I was hired for a morning stocking crew with the grocery team. From day 2 I was subjected to my floor manager's complaints about how she was treated by the other managers, and "If she is in trouble, We are in trouble"....1st Red Flag. The morning crew never came fully to fruition because they couldn't find enough people to work those hours, the result being that our crew was dispersed and our hours distributed/cut and we were placed with the day shift, which meant drastically shorter hours for everyone. I was told by a fellow employee that it is hard to get fired; However, When they cannot give you enough hours because they are overstaffed, they will do what they can to make you have to leave. When I was hired I was told I would be working 15-20 hours, when there was a delivery truck. Once our morning crew was disbanded, my hours consistently shrunk, until I was only scheduled one day/week. I complained, from week 1, that others were misplacing product in my section, but was ignored because the only other people who could be involved "knew what they were doing"....I complained about this several times but the manager was completely aloof about it, I even took photos, at the recommendation of a co-worker. Then I have my employee appraisal 6 months early in which they proceeded to try to blame me for misplaced product in my section, Exactly What I had complained about since my 1st week there, and that I should be "more sociable" with customers; Huge Red Flag No. 2, because one thing I have ALWAYS Been Known for is rapport with customers. I got the distinct impression that they - more...
Pros
You Stay Busy
Cons
Jerky/inconsistent schedule, poor management
A great place to work
This is a great place for hs students who would like a good part time gig, Management was nice and the environment is relaxed. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Enjoyable workplace
Working here was never difficult for me. There were some rushes here and there but the job itself was very easy. My boss was kind and gave me requested hours or time off and, when she couldn't, she would promise me a day from the nearest holiday off and keep her word.
Pros
Easy work enviorment
Not hard but not a lot of money
It's an easy job that doesn't require a lot of thinking to do. You can just keep on going mindlessly until its time to leave. Though the pay isn't that good it is acceptable for the amount of work required.
interesting to work at
I learned how to handle money correctly an to keep store clean hardest was really always trying to keep your draw from being short
the best part about working there was working with my co workers.
When i started working at food lion, it was easy to get in and very productive place to work for and still is. The associates that work there are very friendly and nice. Management is great and i learn new things from them everyday. The hardest part about the job is not having the time to do everything that is needed because i'm only given a certain amount which is the downfall. The most enjoyable part is helping the customers when they are in need at the store. Helping them find what they are looking for and making sure the product is there for them.
Cons
healthcare, not getting hours
Friendly
Very friendly environment. Many different departments to work in. Not a lot of fulltime positions, part timers get very few hours. Hours are always being cut to make labor.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Food Lion. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6K
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight