Foothill-De Anza Community College District Employee Reviews

The culture has changed over the past several years
Program Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CAJune 3, 2018
The culture on campus and at the district was no longer a place I wanted to work. I don't have anything else I want to elaborate on. I would not recommend this as a place to work
Pros
403B and CalPers retirement
Cons
Everything else
Work for the head of the I.T. department
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Altos, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Job started as part-time and eventually went to fulltime. Interesting position as assistant of the head of the I. T. department which supported both campuses of the Foothill - DeAnza Community College District.
Varied tasks and interaction with all the staff of the I.T. department kept the job interesting and and busy.
Pros
Learning about the community
Cons
Wanted to stay parttime, but job went fulltime
Overall good job to 'get ur feet wet' as entry level instructor.
PHYSICS INSTRUCTOR/ PHYSICS LAB TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CA and Los Altos Hills, CAJuly 15, 2016
Typical day:
Prepared lectures.
Provided classroom and lab instruction.
Kept office hours.
Attended faculty meetings and extra curricular events

Learned:
Classroom management
Enticing demos to illustrate topics
Communication skills with management and co-workers

Hardest part was to deal with company politics.

Enjoyable part was satisfaction of seeing students grow and graduate.
Pros
Abundant demo equipment available, most instructors willing to show you the 'tricks of the trade' if you asked.
Cons
Temporary part time position with minimal opportunities for advancement.
comfortable work enviroment
Payroll Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Altos Hills, CAMarch 1, 2016
I like the job, the co-worker and boss they are very nice. The work environment is very well. I learned a lot of software at the place.
Simple but rewarding
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 26, 2015
Tutors/Mentors are assigned a new set of tutees that we meet with biweekly for a 30-minute 1-to-1 session. How that time is spent is determined by the tutee and myself. Usually this involved answering technical questions, preparation and for exams, clarity, discussion of lecture material, and providing general guidance for success in an algebra class.

The most difficult part of the job was adapting to each tutees specific set of needs, perspectives, and goals.

The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the tutee grow, learn to enjoy/appreciate math, and find success through hard work and diligent studying.
Technologically advanced and encourages growth.
Associate Director of Facilities and Operation (Current Employee) –  Cupertino, CAJune 5, 2015
The culture is inclusive and encourages advancement, the district is at the forefront of technology - a good place if you like a fast pace environment.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
This is a job you take on because you love coaching college athletes
Head Coach - Men's Water Polo (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CAApril 26, 2015
Being a Head Coach is a profession you do because you are passionate about sports and coaching college students. The most rewarding part of this job in introducing the sport of water polo to new athletes, and new skills to experienced athletes.
The pay is stipend based, so it is hard for this to be a full time career unless you are a hired professor at within the district, with multiple classes to teach.
Pros
Fun working with college students and introducing the sport of water polo
Cons
Can almost be classified as volunteer work due to lack of funds
Productive, fun and friendly place to work
Clerk in Payroll Department (Current Employee) –  Los AltosSeptember 16, 2014
Very friendly and efficient environment with really kind and helpful management.
Everybody is so patient of teaching and sharing information that helps, I really enjoy of every person that I work with.
I can't say what is the hardest part of my job just I have to pay attention to details and careful not having mistake.
I like my job and the environment that I work .
Productive work place with amazing co-workers
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Altos Hills, CAFebruary 2, 2013
I am very pleased with my work environment at Foothill DeAnza Community College District. In the Benefits department, the team works as a close knit community. Since the team is small, there is a lot of scope for independent decision making, which helped me develop on my skills of independent problem solving and thinking through any problem from all angles such as from the employee, the District, legal, financial and setting precedents. It also help me build on my people skills, communication skills and customer service skills.

I am proud to have won accolades and recognition from many of my customers for resolving the intricate issues of their benefits claims.

I most enjoy the lunches that we go out together as team. This helped me build a good rapport with my co-workers. We help each other out when needed. While I do enjoy working at Foothill DeAnza Community College District, it being a government organization does produce challenges of its own. Our customers approach us with a presumption of the department being inefficient and are usually pleasantly surprised that we are as efficient as they would like us to be.
Pros
flexible work hours, close to home