Forest Preserve District of Cook County Employee Reviews

Department not safe for ethical minorities
Professional (Current Employee) –  Cook County, ILDecember 2, 2018
Resource Management department has seen a sharp decline in persons of color compared to 15 years ago, some asked to be transferred, some wound up drowned after doing so. Do not make a protected complaint because you are not really protected
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management and no protection
Internship
Planning and Development Intern (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILJuly 23, 2018
I have been able to get to know a lot of the people here and they are very kind and willing to help. A great place to have an internship because they expose you to a little bit of everything.
One job many hats
FINANCE PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2017
My typical day starts at 7:30 am an I usually wall out the door at 5pm. I juggle several different jobs at a time and it can be stressful keeping up with everything. Every day give your best and do your best. I never wonder if I gave it my all I know I did.

Each day I learn to keep fighting and not to take it personal. I have had several different managers and untimely worked well with all. You learn to adjust yourself to people. I wouldn't say it's a hard job but it can be stressful dealing with so many projects at a time.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the public. The Forest Preserves are beautiful and well maintained.
Pros
Loving nature and how it's beeing preserved
Cons
Some people are over utilized while others are under utilized
Exciting place to work
Assistant Superintendent of Recreationr (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILApril 6, 2017
The Forest Preserve Department was a very exciting place to work especially if you enjoyed outdoor activities. You dealt with Forest preserve groves, golf course, pools, multiple facilities, etc.
Don't trying becoming a low paid laborer!
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Forest ParkJune 5, 2014
Great to work outdoors but poor management skills and little concern for the little man. As a laborer you do all the dirty work which reflects to the public. Little to no recognition!
Pros
benefits and time off
Cons
have been fighting for a raise for a few years.
Great volunteer network!
Volunteer Restoration Worker (Current Employee) –  ILJuly 9, 2013
A fun way to spend time and help nature. Light-duty jobs available and labor intensive jobs - something for everyone! Wonderful people with massive amounts of knowledge. It's like a family or close community - everyone cares about each other.
Pros
You choose schedule - volunteer, great people
Very interesting place of business
Administrative Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILNovember 13, 2012
A typical day at work at the forest preserve district was the vast amount of information that was processed for the county. I learned about the confidential aspects of the job.
Pros
it was an interesting place to work.
Cons
only the short breaks.