Foresters Financial Employee Reviews

Trying to improve culture, but disappointing in other areas.
Correspondence Associate (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 4, 2018
The company's mission of doing more for customers and communities does not translate well to employees. While we have a mostly good team, compensation is painfully low. It's so low that it is even acknowledged by management that we have one of the lowest compensation rates in our industry. The office is dingy and outdated and the technology/systems/processes are in the stone age. The work environment in general is depressing. I'd like to be able to stay with the company, but the low pay is forcing me to look elsewhere.
fun colleagues with high paced work environment
Assist agents (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 16, 2018
Work is very repetitive in that you are speaking with many different agents about the companies products and helping with case design. You learn a good amount about the products and the company which is really informative. The flexibility of the job could be better in that changing shifts and no option to work from home. The most enjoyable part of work how work ends when your shift ends. The bonuses each quarter area really nice as well and make for a pretty well paid job. Hardest part of the job is the repetitive nature of the calls
Pros
colleagues hour lunch bonuses
Cons
no career advancement opportunities, redundant work, benefits
Amazing company with an amazing purpose
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  East Hartford, CTAugust 2, 2018
Foresters is a wonderful company to work for and has only enhanced my skills. There is a strong, supportive management team from the office level to the executive level. Their purpose drives the company and they truly care about helping their clients and the community.
Pros
Great working evnironment
Cons
As an independent contractor there are few company benefits
Lied to
Financial adviser (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 21, 2018
Before I was hired I was told in the interview that I would be able to study for the series 7 exam. That was the exam that I had my mind set to take. After working there a few weeks I was told that I was only allowed to that the series 6 which is a smaller version of the 7 and that I would have to spend my own money to take it and then the company would pay me back after I passed the exam. To me it would be a waste of my time to take a exam that I would have to retake in order to really help people with investments.
Cons
benefits, cold calls, late hours, many events
would not recommend this company.
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  NYMarch 7, 2018
Terrible experience. Required to work 6 days a week and 50 hours a week. Paid minimum wage for 6 months and then it was entirely commission. Required you to use your own personal network and use established relationships to force insurance on friends and family. Completely disorganized. Very poor hands off training program. No benefits or time off because youre working for commission and if you choose not to work its only hurting yourself and your income. Huge miscommunication issue between management and corporate. Corporate made promises that they did not keep when the conditions required were met. Bonuses were introduced and explained in a way that was not consistent with how they were actually paid out. Bonus pay out was far less and they never made it right when this issue was brought to light. Lead generation was all on the representative. If you take a job here expect to spend many hours cold calling to no avail.
Pros
competitive comradery
Cons
very long hours, minimum wage, no stability, poor training, no benefits
Good experience for recent college grads
Financial Services Representative and Intern (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CAFebruary 19, 2018
Learned a lot about the financial services industry here...there was proper training. Management was an issue though...there was obvious favoritism and lack of communication and clarity. My commute was too far and my work days were very long. Pay was only commision based once you transitioned into a full-time rep.
Pros
Commissions - the harder you worked, the more you were paid
Cons
No benefits
Concept and reality do not jive
Supervisor, Broker Dealer Operations (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 25, 2018
The parent company is supposedly all about family and work/life balance, but in reality, it is a pretty cutthroat environment. Firings for no good reason are commonplace. Management expects regular overtime.
Pros
not many pros
Cons
very few perks. very small salary and bonuses for front line workers
Friendly Work environment
SENIOR FINANCIAL SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2018
Being an independent contractor definitely has it's perks. Not working for anyone but yourself is nice but can be a challenge. The supporting managers in the office are very helpful and the workplace culture is nothing but positive vibes.

The hardest part of the job is also the nicest, which is being independent. No paycheck is certain, as you must put in the work to see the results.

Definitely recommend working at Foresters if you are looking at getting an understanding of what it takes to survive in this industry.
Volatile Work Environment
Hybrid Wholesale (Former Employee) –  Middletown, CTNovember 13, 2017
I was hired at Foresters Financial to work in a brand new department. Between the time I accepted the position and the time I set foot in the door for my first day there was already a brand new VP who had a different vision entirely from what may department was hired to do. From the the Sales Director left and then the CEO of the company left as well only after being there for a little over 1 year.

The most troubling part was the lack of responsiveness from other departments that made it difficult to help clients. Management was the most petty I have ever experienced in a company and was only concerned with making themselves look good and had little to no concern about your development. Its a tough environment to take pride in and to want to work for.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Lack of leadership, lack of responsiveness, little stability
Micromanagement Failure
Financial Representative/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTOctober 30, 2018
You will be hired for your personality and charisma. Then you will spend months of forced reform into a failed sales 'type'. You will be completely micromanaged in every aspect just so the branch manager makes you aware he has power over you. They will change your meeting locations and times against your clients consent just because. They do not develop personal sales talent. Their turn over rate is atrocious.

Pointless meetings interfere with your sales and business weekly, required morning meetings just to make sure you're at work at a specific time regardless.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Micromanaged, reformed
Great people. Very supportive.
Agent Representative (Former Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 15, 2018
This was a great place to work. The people were exceptionally friendly and supportive in all aspects of the job. There was some stress surrounding the training, it was quite intense. There was also a lot of pressure to successfully study the material, plus perform the expected duties of the position.
Pros
Great culture; friendly people; willingness of other agents to lend their expertise.
Cons
Stressful training regiment; constant focus on the numbers.
SKIP This one
Registered Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 25, 2018
There are two many great firms out there to waste your time on this one. I would explore all others first.

Do your research and get everything in writing not just from corporate, but also from your local manager.
Cons
Management, Salary, Advancement, Proprietary Products pushed
Sales Job with unlimited up side potential
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Ralston, NEFebruary 5, 2018
Good sales people with thrive here, but you must be willing to put in long hours and work inconvenient times. There is no salary after 9 months so be willing to work on commission only.
Pros
Unlimited upside potential
Cons
No base pay
Hard way to make a buck
Slave (Former Employee) –  San DiegoNovember 19, 2018
If you're a 20-something fresh out of college with no real world work experience and can survive on $30k/year for a few years until you build a book of business (if you can survive that long), this just might be for you. But the statistics are stacked against you, and the attrition rate is high. Otherwise, try your luck elsewhere.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
sweatshop
dynamic
Internship (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CASeptember 10, 2018
I liked the environment but i felt as if i was stuck in the position i was starting. I want to feel like i am being trained for a career. Not to be in the same spot forever.
Client pool is everything
financial adviser (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYMay 30, 2018
If you have a personal Client/referral pool to draw from your odds of success go up drastically. But then there is also the complications of most of the current generation starting on their career path is more focused on debt management then saving for the future.
Read before looking for a job in IT
IT Data Center (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 6, 2017
If you are thinking of applying for a position in IT - look elsewhere. This is a very stressful, unorganized, backward thinking environment. Upper management is unsupportive and passes blame down to the staff for their inadequacies. Unless you like to be screamed at, stay away. Read some of the other reviews...they are correct. Expect to work 10-11 hour days, overnights and weekends with no appreciation.
Pros
Decent Benefits
Cons
Very poor management
Challenging and Difficult but rewarding if you have a network and strong work ethic
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHMarch 8, 2017
Wasn't a terrible experience. I think a lot of the negative aspects I dealt with had to do with my branch in specific, so I don't want to say Foresters Financial as a whole is bad. Just make sure the branch your joining has a good, supportive and experienced management team. Make sure you ask about the culture and really understand how the compensation and payment tiers work before you get into something you don't fully understand.

You should never invest in something you don't understand, and you should never commit to a job you don't fully understand. Take the time to know the full system before you commit to a career you don't completely understand.
Pros
No commission cap, good tools for training
Cons
Difficult work/life balance, dealing with management can be difficult
Decent place to start out of college.
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 6, 2018
Wasn't comfortable selling to my family members and close personal friends, but if you don't mind this sort of mentality than you'll fit right in. Hard work but would definitely pay off if you put in the time and effort.
productive place to work at
Corporate Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILNovember 27, 2018
you work on your own time I guess being flexible could be a good thing and a bad thing, just kind of work for yourself and have your own clients to deal with