Fort Dearborn Company Employee Reviews

High demand market
Production (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 29, 2018
Good benefits, good pay. Need to cleanse the production floor of negative attitudes. There is a lot of potential here. People need to be developed into skilled craft
A very friendly family orientented work place
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 5, 2018
This a very good place to work coworkers helped each other out when needed it was just a really great place to work. The plant in general was clean and well kept.
Pros
bring your own lunches
Cons
N/a
Excellent management and a relaxed atmosphere
Second Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCFebruary 16, 2018
I loved my job at Fort Dearborn. I ran my own press. I could fix anything in the plant. Me and my supervisor carpooled because theirs such little people working on 3rd shift you can ride together. They worked with me as long as they could with my family crisis, but then we were sent to Charleston SC for 2 weeks and I didn't have the vacation time or the sick days. So we sadly parted ways.
Pros
Good management, competitive wages, and entry level for most people.
Cons
Point System
good company a all
shiping end receiving (Current Employee) –  6035 gross poin roadFebruary 10, 2018
This is a great company because they have good benefits like health insurance. Also they have fantastic team work. Good managers, also friendly peaples.
Pros
Aniversal Parties
Cons
sjort breat
Grow sales
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILJanuary 28, 2018
All about the top line, not about improving or growing the business Too much emphasis on selling the company. The co-workers are great and are a lot about the company, but the management not so true. At my location, too much emphasis on acquisitions.
Pros
Great 401K
Lots of responsibility
MAINTENANCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 28, 2018
The first thing I do when I get to the office is turn my computer on and check my emails, and check to see what new work orders have been turned in. I then take a walk down the aisles of the parts area and make sure we are not running low on any of our "critical" parts. If we are low I use my phone to send myself an email listing what parts to order. Next, I do my daily plant walk through. This includes checking on the facility main air compressor and boiler. Next, I walk from machine to machine and talk to the operators about any issues they may be having that I could help with. Next, I go back to the office and order any parts that are needed.

The rest of the day I take calls for machine breakdowns. Since I am the only production maintenance person on days, this includes all electrical and mechanical issues.

It is rewarding to get a machine back up and running but it is also stressful working by yourself.

I've been asked to attend one of the daily management meetings. When I'm free I attend. But my job usually keeps me to busy to go.
Pros
Upper management listens to what I have to say
Cons
Sometimes I have to work late in order to get a machine running
PACKER (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 26, 2018
It was long hour , standing , short breaks,people friendly, it's was a good enought job to work for if you was f/t.Management was ok to work for they could be helpful when need be
Ok place to work
Material Handler/ ForkLift Operator (Former Employee) –  Green, KYJanuary 23, 2018
I guess it was a good place to work. I worked there for almost 13 years. The supervisors was great!! Maybe the people in higher spots could learn from the supervisors.
Job where there is no chance of advancement unless.......
Packer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 8, 2018
In this position you have to either know someone in a higher position or be a family member of an employee to advance within the company. They also tell you that they will pick within the company and it is by Seniority but if another person that has been there longer than you have a friend and they are willing to train them they will hire them over you.
Pros
Free Lunch
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dawsonville, GAJanuary 3, 2018
Management has poor people skills, no concern for employees loyalty.....mentality is everyone is replaceable, no advancement opportunities unless you relocate.
Dont work here!
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCDecember 11, 2017
Drama drama! Management doesn't seem to know whats going on.. going to HR about any problem that you have is a waste of time! Pay is bad and they lie about pay increase.
Inviting culture with family values
Retail Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2017
I enjoyed my time with Fort Dearborn, and left the company for a better offer and career advancement. It is unfair for me to comment on Fort Dearborn today, as they have gone through multiple Private Equity ownership changes since my departure 12 years ago. They have also grown the company significantly as a result of acquisition. Many coworkers of mine from then, are still there now.
Not a productive Place to work
Packer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 20, 2017
It is a 12 hour shift, You learn how to work different machines and how the print and press process goes. The hardest part of the job was having to stand on your feet for 11 hours in steel toe shoes
Good company, potential to be a great company
Employee (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 17, 2017
FDC is a growing company that has opportunities in many areas. Upper level management is working hard to drive change for the better. Mid level management is engaged, care about their associates, business growth and providing future opportunities. Hourly personnel are engaged in plant improvement opportunities as well as given opportunities for advancement.

FDC has competitive wages and strong benefits plan
Pros
Competitive wages
Cons
Minimal vacation time provided
Learned Many Business Systems
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 7, 2017
A typical day was very rushed and stressed. There is a lot of information that can be learned about the printing business and FDC is a great place to learn it. Benefits are extremely good with this company. Management tends to take advantage of the good workers and reward those that are not engaged or dedicated.
Pros
Health and 401K Benefits
Cons
No sick days, no room for advancement
Boring Place
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILAugust 10, 2017
Offers very little as far as perks on site. There is a very small chance for a bonus and management seems to only help themselves. The people there are all nice and there is no drama.
Quality Assurance Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 5, 2017
I worked with great people there, and my supervisor was wonderful.
I gained 12 years of experience here and wish I had not been laid off.
Although I no longer work there, I have made lifelong friendships (which I did not expect).

There was a lot of paperwork (it is a factory), but the job was not too difficult
Pros
medical, dental, vision benefits, awesome 401k matching
Cons
short breaks, lots of paperwork
Not great.
Drill runner (Former Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCJuly 31, 2017
It wasn't great, didn't get paid much and not really any opportunity for advancement. It was clean and seemed to be a safe environment. Not familiar with vacation out benefits as I was only temporary.
Overall good
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 16, 2017
Decent place to work, opportunity for advancement slim unless you're willing to relocate. Metrics based management, must hit the numbers or explain why you didn't. Great benefits.
Safe and Productive
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 31, 2017
That's a great company to the work for . Management go over and beyond to make sure it's a healthy environment. They do their best to make you feel at home and comfortable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fort Dearborn Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.1Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight