Fort Walton Beach Medical Center Employee Reviews

The department I was in, was not the best
Utility Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLApril 19, 2019
The manager at the time was not the greatest person. He didn't pay you on your skills. People with zero skills made more money because of who their parents or relatives were in the hospital.
Poor management
Patient Sitter (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 24, 2019
Started with 8 hours shifts, moved to 12. Relief was always late for breaks and for next shift. Pay was low and supervisors terrible. Nurses did not check on patients every 2 hours like they were suppose to.
Icu
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 11, 2019
Frequently short staffed. High overturn in management leads to miscommunication and frequent changes to unit procedures, policies, and expectations. Beds in ICU poorly managed. Hospitalists have the ability to admit inappropriate ICU admissions leading to low ICU acuity and patients holding in ICU.
Pros
ability to work overtime
Cons
short staffed
Quick Paced
PHYSICAL THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FloridaFebruary 20, 2019
Level 1 Trauma center. You see all types of patients. It is very quick paced and you are expected to see on average 12-18 patient's per day. Great work environment and the other therapist make working here worthwhile.
The staff are great to work with
Education Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLFebruary 13, 2019
Good staff, heavy workloads. The upper management is not really in tune with the staff. The focus in this facility is trauma which short changes the other areas.
Pros
Reasonable salary
Cons
Staffing a concern
Did not like
RN (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJanuary 7, 2019
We were always short staffed and I prayed everyday I would not harm any of the patients due to being short staffed. I would not recommend any one to get a job at FWBMC
love
Utilization review LPN/Case manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547December 18, 2018
I have loved my time here. I work a full day. I love a good challenge and my current one does that. Every day is different. The people in my department are the best!
clinicals only during RN program
Student RN Preceptee (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 15, 2018
i did clinical during a 2 yera rn program, have not actually been employed by the hospital so can't objectively rate it from that perspective, coming from personal experience - would not recommend care
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 29, 2018
the atmosphere was encouraging to develop your skills. enjoyed working with the staff and patients. made time go by fast. Always had CEUs there instead of having to travel.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short Breaks
An enjoyable and rewarding work experience
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 28, 2018
Start with shift change report on patients. Then patient care including assist with meals, hygiene, ambulatory, etc... One on one therapy sessions,group therapy and crisis intervention. Writing of intakes and collateral info trhoug family correspondance. Daily reports on apprx 7 patients daily. Learned professional approach with patients and understanding of their needs. Learned to work as a team to achieve proper care for others and the dynamics of hospital function. also compassion for others. Management supportive but firm on hospital policies and procedures. Workplace culture was professional but fun and rewarding. Most difficult part of job was Physical takedowns during crisis intervention. Most enjoyable part was relationship with coworkers and helping those in need and guidance for same.
Pros
Camaraderie, consistent pay with benefits, and learning a great deal about treatment of others.
Cons
Wear and tear both physically and mentally from crisis intervention.
Fast-paced, great coworkers
Registered Nurse-Medical Care (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 12, 2018
Truly a team effort! The job was fast-paced, and at times, hectic, but the unit nurses and PCTs always came together and handled any situation that arose. Would work there again if I lived in Fort Walton Beach. Charge nurses were great and helped as much as possible.
Pros
Co-workers, benefits
Cons
Stressful at times, long hours
summary
registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 1, 2018
excessive micromanagement, little encouragement, work load 3 icu patients regularly, new policies adopted constantly create confusion, job description unclear.
Beautiful city
REGISTRAR (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLSeptember 10, 2018
Beautiful City horrible pay, I couldn't survive off the salary. I never got a chance to enjoy the beach, working to much....................................................
Very busy place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLAugust 7, 2018
I loved the patients and the interactions with patients and their families. Department was medium sized and coworkers helped each other. Management is supportive of the staff.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Having to work holidays and weekends
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJuly 29, 2018
I would recommend to work for Fort Walton Beach Medical Center. They give good quality care and would be my # 1 choice to receive my medical care. I am looking forward to returning here in my career.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Low pay
Love cancer care
Unit Secretary II pct lll CNA EMT (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJuly 21, 2018
Loved my boss but when something happens and your sick there is no support from the job the staff was very supportive. They give you a job a d when you get sick they want you to train someone else to do it
fun
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMay 29, 2018
It was a good day everyday cleaning rooms my manger was nice. I loved talking to pacitence and familys whille cleaning their rooms. it was nice pay with good benifits.
Diversity training severely needed in the histology lab
Histologist (Former Employee) –  Ft. Walton Beach, FLMay 22, 2018
This is an honest personal review of the lab and not the hospital.The environment in the histology lab severely needs continuous diversity and anti-bullying training from the supervisor to the co-workers. Bullying, undercover racism and harassment goes on here which made for a very toxic environment. There is a lack of professionalism and collaboration which undermines productivity. Skills and talents are undermined or overlooked due to a lack of acceptance. There were periods of low volume and at those times trying to be helpful by asking to assist co-workers or to help in other areas of the lab fell on deaf ears at times. There were even instances of being followed into storage areas when I was trying to be productive by filing during down times. The hardest part of working here was the toxic supervisor and co-workers who allowed their personal feelings to influence the work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the location that allowed me to be near one of the most beautiful beaches in Florida on a regular basis.
Pros
close to the beach
Cons
bullying, undercover racism and harassment
Might have changed
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ft Walton Bch, FLMay 18, 2018
I do not know how the place has been after I have worked there, there has been a lot of changes after I left. I do not know if they are for the better or worse.
Cna
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMay 9, 2018
Not a bad place to work, but be prepared to work sometimes independently because there is limited staff on the floors. If they would hire more staff, there would not be such a great need for them to request personnel to take overtime hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Fort Walton Beach Medical Center Reviews by Location