Foss Swim School Employee Reviews

May want to find somewhere else for hours.
Instructor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNMay 9, 2018
hours are very limited, unless you take someone’s shift. Instructors are less than 20 to 25 hours. Very part time! There’s a lot to juggle around while on duty, one unhappy parent = one unhappy boss. Parents are super picky with everything for swim lessons and one complaint makes the job mentally draining. If your looking full time, this isn’t the place to be.

It’s a good starting job after high school but otherwise it’s not really recommended for living off with.

CEO has good intentions but the bosses it seems
Do not take on the Idea.
Pros
Working with kids, great co workers
Cons
Poor management, picky parents, not guaranteed for time off for planned vacations.
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNApril 1, 2018
I really enjoy working with my co workers, we all work great together and encourage each other. My mangers are very willing to express what I need to work on in a nice way. The kids I teach are all wonderful to teach.
Pros
different ages
Cons
not enough hours
Fun but taxing
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNMarch 10, 2018
I loved working at Foss but it is a very taxing job physically and mentally as you are taking care of many kids and ensuring their safety at all times. Also there are very few breaks.
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNFebruary 23, 2018
It was fun and the pay was great but there are lots of trainings to attend in addition to the scheduled shifts. However, the management and other staff was helpful if I had any questions and there was lots of introductory training to teach me how to teach swimming lessons :)
Pros
great pay and great staff
Great place to work!
Swim Instructor, Private Lesson Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNJanuary 30, 2018
The happiest place to work full of encouragement and positivity. An instructor must be outgoing and love kids. I loved watching the kids improve with their swimming skills. They give bonuses for perfect attendance, provide a 401K to part-timers, and provide the training - paid training! It's tough in the beginning through training so you must stick with it but it's worth it!
Love it
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Libertyville, ILJanuary 30, 2018
Solid Company were the instructors are the driving force of it all. Make sure you actually want to work with kids cause it can be difficult at times. Every site has a different culture which always makes it interesting if you substitute at another location.
Learn how a good management makes a good workplace
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJanuary 27, 2018
Though the company is still growing significantly, the management and the executives do what they can to remain involved. Pay is great, do not need to be a former swimmer to excel at this job, as I was not. Soon you learn something about yourself, and learn how fulfilling it is to work with children.
An awesome Job for college students
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2017
I loved working here during college, great pay for someone with a full class schedule. fairly flexible hours. AMAZING co workers, a lot of them still great friends today. Be prepared for a lot of screaming kids and acting goofy during class.
management (Current Employee) –  MinneapolisSeptember 4, 2017
Culture was everything. As with many jobs the culture can change. New hires from outside the company have made changes that don't fit and what we all really enjoyed has gone a different direction.
Fun job but dont quit your day job.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNMarch 22, 2017
I worked there for only a summer as a career change. I had worked with children in an educational capacity for years and this would be a challenging new position. I found that the job was very very very part time in that I would have 5 - 7 hours a week for a two week period then have two or three weeks. It was very disappointing and depressing knowing I had left a full time job with benefits for this. Positive side was that the kids were great. Everything else was disappointing.
Pros
$14 an hour with bonuses.
Cons
Not full time
Work and Play Mix
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNDecember 19, 2016
I have worked for Foss for 5 years and I have always loved going to work. You are paid to play with kids and teach them valuable life skill by teaching them to swim. We instill confidence, communication, and mastery all through laughter and swimming. MUST BE HIGH ENERGY! Must love kids! Must be able to take constructive criticism. Must be able to swim.
Pros
Great co workers and customers
Cons
Pool hours are extremely draining
Best Job with rewarding positions
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNSeptember 22, 2016
Absolutely the best job I've ever had. There is so much room for personal development, while also professional development. This is a very hard job, as people rely on you to be at work. You get bonuses for not missing shifts, and it is absolutely an incredible place to work. So much of this job feels like a gift to get paid while you're playing in the water with kids, teaching them a valuable life skill.
Pros
Lots of free food, great people, raises every quarter
Cons
No attendance bonus for missing work - planned or unplanned
Great place
Site Director (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNMarch 29, 2016
Great place, upward ability. Great pay and benefits. hours are flexible as well. Foss cares about it's people and goes to great lengths to keep a fun and positive attitude.
Productive and great place to work with adults and kids
Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 9, 2015
I have been with this company for five years now and I absolutly love working for Foss Swim School. It is full of great co-workers, managers and families.
Great place to gain experience with children
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNJanuary 24, 2015
I really learned a lot from Foss so far. The environment is welcoming and also allows any employee to improve and grow as a person.
Fun place to work and very rewarding.
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNMarch 25, 2014
I taught people of all ages to swim and be comfortable in the water. The atmosphere is very fun, and the management was awesome to work for.
Teach how to swim, facility maintenance fixing things here and there
Swimming Instructor/Facility Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILDecember 18, 2013
Has a very friendly atmosphere, communication with parents and kids are great, co-workers are always awesome.
Pros
enjoy working and having fun while doing it
Cons
none for the moment
Swimming instructor for kids ages 3 to 13 in a fun environment.
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNJune 27, 2013
I loved working at Foss. To watch kids grow and over come fears by playing with them in the water and teaching them vital survival skills. I learned a lot about child psychology and how playing can really make a difference in how a child learns and grows. It expanded my creativity in a really fun way. I've always been a swimmer, it's second nature to me, so teaching a child who is scared of the water was a challenge I took on and excelled in. Building relationships with the kids and their parents made me realize how important my job really was. The hardest part of the job was being in the water for 5 hours at a time. Chlorine does horrible things to your body. Over all though, if the hours were there, I would most likely still be working there. But thinking about working 8 to 9 hours at a time in the water sounds a little scary to me.
Pros
Gratification of helping children excel and over come fears, seeing hard work come to fruition, building relationships with parents and children and feeling like I was helping people.
Cons
Being in water for 5 to 6 hours at a time, low hours on work schedule
Very productive fun place to work
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, ILSeptember 9, 2012
I love this job! It's a great opportunity to work with children and help them grow in their abilities as a swimmer
Fun job!
Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNAugust 2, 2012
Foss is a school designed to coach individuals from 3 years old to adults learn to swim or improve their swimming technique. This was one of the most fun jobs I have ever had.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Foss Swim School. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7

2.7Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight