Four Winds Hospital Employee Reviews

Difficult place to work
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYOctober 28, 2018
Pay is extremely low. Can be a dangerous place to work. Understaffed. Long shifts. However, the camaraderie between coworkers was great. They hire MHWs without experience so this is an option to begin a career in the mental health field.
Pros
Camaraderie between staff
Cons
Low pay, dangerous, understaffed
No support from management.
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Westchester, NYOctober 25, 2018
Four Winds Mental Health Workers are a dedicated and close knit group of outstanding individuals who work in an environment which subjects them to a high risk of serious injury, poor compensation, mental exhaustion and a management team that could care less if they get seriously injured as they are treated as disposable and replaceable.

It’s ironic how the training in Four Winds promotes a caring and empathetic environment towards the patients but yet they do the complete opposite when it comes to their employees. The amount of responsibility and the possibility that a Mental Health Worker can sustain a life threatening or life altering injury does not equate to the pathetic wages they pay and the sad pension that they provide. Honestly you can make the same amount of money working in a local Starbucks and not have to be concerned with sustaining a head injury or having surgery because of a violent patient,

There has been a mass exodus recently of Mental Health Workers who left Four Winds and who had considerable time and experience on the job. When these Mental Health Workers left they made a significant impact to the functionality of the hospital and now the hospital is clearly struggling due to newly hired and inexperienced employees.

Upper management, you need take a good hard look at how you are driving outstanding employees out of your hospital and losing them to other hospitals who properly compensate their employees. Your business model needs to be drastically reorganized, you have a ridiculously high turnover rate and all you keep doing is replacing the
  more... void with new Mental Health Workers who eventually leave once they see what your hospital is all about. The morale is horrible and your free food for the employees unfortunately does not pay the bills! How about trying to hold on to the employees you hire instead of letting them walk out the Four Winds revolving door? How about providing us with bodily protection when we are faced with a violent restraint? How about making us feel like we are worth something to your hospital?

The last time I looked experienced employees used to mean a lot to an organization.....
Pros
Non
Cons
Thankless. Under appreciated. Low pay. Mentally exhausting. High risk of serious injury.
N/a
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Cross River, NYOctober 22, 2018
Hospital environment was challenged going and stressful at times but four winds staff was supportive in helping one another and having the patients best interest in mind.
four winds
Mental Health Worker/Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NY 10536October 11, 2018
We maintain high standards and exhibit a pattern of excellence by hiring competent and passionate staff members. Sample Supports provides services to a behaviorally intensive community. We specialize in working with clients with dual diagnoses including mental illness and substance abuse in addition to their cognitive disability. We continually promote our philosophy that "every client deserves to be in the community” and build programs and teams that reflect this.
It's okay. Good for some experience before going elsewhere.
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYSeptember 22, 2018
I have worked in multiple departments at Four Winds. One thing is that there is a real lack of professional culture among many of the workers. This is made worse by the fact that the hospital is often either understaffed or overstaffed.

Most clinical staff work hard and try to do their best with the resources available to them. Since the average length of stay for a patient is roughly 10 to 13 days, there is not that much that can be done to fix some of the appalling issue that the patients face at home.

Admissions and health service staff are compassionate individuals who try to facilitate the easy flow of patients into the hospital, but unit staff often try to interfere while stressed. This often results in cycles of conflict between the departments with no end. Some days are better than others, but as written above, many of the patients have chronic issues, poor family lives, and would be difficult to deal with even a very highly motivated workforce.

Many of the mental health workers are younger and are not trained to be professional or polite. Most are very kind and do their best, but some are in positions of planning and power such as milieu managers who do not deserve the privilege as they can be dismissive or cold towards workers, patients, and family members.

Supervisors and managers are often very stressed. They try to do a good job, but maintaining order can be very difficult with the lack of resources available to them.

There are numerous rewarding and wonderful aspects of working at Four Winds, but weigh your options if you have the ability to work
  more... elsewhere.  less
eh
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYSeptember 20, 2018
four winds is a good entry job. However it is poorly run and the staff are taken advantage of. There are never enough staff and too many patients which creates a stressful and dangerous work environment. You have many staff who work double ( two 13 hour shifts) and do loads of overtime which drains them out quickly. People are coming in and out because of the overload of work and pressure. they really need to learn how to run the hospital better. Either staff it better or don't accept as many patients.
Pros
meet great people, beneifts are good, free lunches, paid time off
Cons
understaffed, poorly run, stressful
fast paced
Admission Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYSeptember 18, 2018
I have learned a lot in terms of legal documentations needed for an inpatient admission. As well as what criteria is needed for an acute psychiatric facility. Four Winds Hospital is a well known Hospital across the State and accepts a great volume of referrals daily.
First Job
Admissions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYAugust 23, 2018
Gained a lot of experience while working at Four Winds being my first job, once I graduated from college. It is a good starter job and provided me with good experience to succeed at other positions.
Great Field Experience
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYAugust 16, 2018
Working at Four Winds Hospital offers invaluable skill building in the behavioral health field. Though the work environment is stressful, it can also be very rewarding. There is room for improvement in the management area and employee turnover happens frequently, however, the campus is lovely and it is a great place to work while completing your education.
na
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYAugust 3, 2018
I have been employed for the past ten years allowing me many experiences. some days are more difficult than others. I have supportive staff that help in many situations in de-escalation of acute patients
inappropriate work environment
MHW (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYMay 25, 2018
I've seen patients dealt with inappropriately and with completely non therapeutic approaches. Little opportunity for advancement of employees. I've seen my coworkers be attacked by management and accused of breaking protocols, which by all accounts don't actually exist. The management bullies the staff. The culture of gossip is out of control. I enjoyed my coworkers when I was there, but the management makes all the employees uneasy. There is a culture of "us against them" between the mental health workers and the clinical team which is both unnecessary and completely unprofessional for the management to perpetuate.
Pros
nope
Cons
everything
Organized; Advancement; Free meals
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Cross River, NYApril 2, 2018
Four Winds is a great place to begin your journey in the medical and psychiatric fields. They offer great benefits for nursing students and other related fields of study. Working is based on 13-hour shifts, as lunchtime is not paid, yet you may have meals from the general cafeteria free of charge.
Pros
Advancement Possibilities; meals
Cons
Long Hours / Under Payment
Solid experience
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYFebruary 22, 2018
I loved this job at first. It was exciting and I loved interacting with the patients. As time progressed I realized how little the company values its workers.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYJanuary 30, 2018
At Four Winds Hospital Westchester, in picturesque Katonah, NY I adapted and mastered how to wrangle the day's schedule with the ebbs and flows of a fluid work environment.
Pros
I prefer not to answer
Cons
I prefer not to answer
Good entry level job
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYDecember 23, 2017
Good entry level job for anyone coming straight out of college. Great to expand experience in mental field. I think they should raise the pay for working 12 hour shifts.
Pros
Free lunch with patients or pay
Cons
Short breaks, not so great health and dental insurance
Four Winds hospital
Mental Health Worker- Milieu Manager (Current Employee) –  Cross River, NYNovember 21, 2017
Overall, I couldn't thank Four Winds enough for giving me the opportunity to learn what I have about mental and behavioral health. The knowledge and awareness I've gained while managing the adult unit here is something I wouldn't trade for the world. A typical day starts off with making the daily schedule for patients. This includes coordinating with my staff who is to do what groups at what times, communicating with outside CASAC's or LCSW's as to when they will be available to do their groups, all while taking into consideration the needs and restrictions of certain patients that we currently tend to. At times, we have hard of hearing patients, physically disabled patients, disorganized patients that are not fit to attend groups, staff intensive patients, defiant patients who refuse to take groups seriously, and any combinations of the above. I must create a staff schedule with all provided information to assure that the unit I work on will function in a safe, practical, therapeutic manner, where patients get the most from their daily scheduled activities. I have to assure that my staff get their allotted two 45- minute breaks even while things get hectic. As a mental health worker, I interact with patients in crisis on a daily basis, not necessarily providing advice but rather an ear to listen and understand. I make sure to interact in a professional yet sympathetic way, so that patients know they can come to me during times of intense emotional distress. My staff and I work together to ensure that we are all on the same page as far as rules and regulations we are to follow  more... when dealing with certain patients. We are careful not to undermine clinical decisions as well as individual ones. The most enjoyable part of this job, to date, is walking out of work at the end of the day knowing that you helped improve someones life, even in the smallest way. When you hear a patient who was once suicidal tell you that they have a new will to live, you realize that all the stress of the job is worth it.  less
Pros
free food with dining room escorts, paid time off, paid sick time
Cons
short staffed, low pay, no room for growth
Amazing co-workers but poorly managed.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYAugust 31, 2017
Co-workers quickly become family and there is a great sense of comradey. However the hospital is poorly managed and their is a high turn over rate. Senior management also doesn't even try to hide their contempment for employees and employee saftely seems to be very low on their priority list.
Pros
Hour long lunches, pension and 401k plans
Cons
Poorly managed
Fun workplace, but little room for advancement
Psychiatric Nurse Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cross River, NYAugust 22, 2017
Coworkers quickly become family at Four Winds Hospital. It is fast paced and busy. Unfortunately this is due to a high turnover rate and poor management.
Multi tasking position
Unit Secretary and Spanish Translator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2017
My typical morning was more of a routine answering phone calls, and assisted nurse manager in preparing clinical staff and well as patients for the day. In addition, I performed all clerical duties, covered for other unit secretaries and maintain my units nurses station. Clinical staff and management changed frequently. I can say all the staff and co-workers were very professional and caring with patients. The enjoyable part of my job was not only working with staff but patients as well.
Pros
Beautiful campus, parking, 1 hour lunches, and paid translations..
Cons
Coverage/no perdiem secretaries.No medical records transporter.
review of four winds
Employee (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYAugust 18, 2017
Four winds lacked job advancement for me. The pay was not comparable to like positions in the area. My particular supervisor lacked leadership skills. I enjoy my coworkers.