Four Winds Hospital Employee Reviews

inappropriate work environment
MHW (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYMay 25, 2018
I've seen patients dealt with inappropriately and with completely non therapeutic approaches. Little opportunity for advancement of employees. I've seen my coworkers be attacked by management and accused of breaking protocols, which by all accounts don't actually exist. The management bullies the staff. The culture of gossip is out of control. I enjoyed my coworkers when I was there, but the management makes all the employees uneasy. There is a culture of "us against them" between the mental health workers and the clinical team which is both unnecessary and completely unprofessional for the management to perpetuate.
Pros
nope
Cons
everything
Organized; Advancement; Free meals
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Cross River, NYApril 2, 2018
Four Winds is a great place to begin your journey in the medical and psychiatric fields. They offer great benefits for nursing students and other related fields of study. Working is based on 13-hour shifts, as lunchtime is not paid, yet you may have meals from the general cafeteria free of charge.
Pros
Advancement Possibilities; meals
Cons
Long Hours / Under Payment
Solid experience
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYFebruary 22, 2018
I loved this job at first. It was exciting and I loved interacting with the patients. As time progressed I realized how little the company values its workers.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYJanuary 30, 2018
At Four Winds Hospital Westchester, in picturesque Katonah, NY I adapted and mastered how to wrangle the day's schedule with the ebbs and flows of a fluid work environment.
Pros
I prefer not to answer
Cons
I prefer not to answer
Good entry level job
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYDecember 23, 2017
Good entry level job for anyone coming straight out of college. Great to expand experience in mental field. I think they should raise the pay for working 12 hour shifts.
Pros
Free lunch with patients or pay
Cons
Short breaks, not so great health and dental insurance
Four Winds hospital
Mental Health Worker- Milieu Manager (Current Employee) –  Cross River, NYNovember 21, 2017
Overall, I couldn't thank Four Winds enough for giving me the opportunity to learn what I have about mental and behavioral health. The knowledge and awareness I've gained while managing the adult unit here is something I wouldn't trade for the world. A typical day starts off with making the daily schedule for patients. This includes coordinating with my staff who is to do what groups at what times, communicating with outside CASAC's or LCSW's as to when they will be available to do their groups, all while taking into consideration the needs and restrictions of certain patients that we currently tend to. At times, we have hard of hearing patients, physically disabled patients, disorganized patients that are not fit to attend groups, staff intensive patients, defiant patients who refuse to take groups seriously, and any combinations of the above. I must create a staff schedule with all provided information to assure that the unit I work on will function in a safe, practical, therapeutic manner, where patients get the most from their daily scheduled activities. I have to assure that my staff get their allotted two 45- minute breaks even while things get hectic. As a mental health worker, I interact with patients in crisis on a daily basis, not necessarily providing advice but rather an ear to listen and understand. I make sure to interact in a professional yet sympathetic way, so that patients know they can come to me during times of intense emotional distress. My staff and I work together to ensure that we are all on the same page as far as rules and regulations we are to follow  more... when dealing with certain patients. We are careful not to undermine clinical decisions as well as individual ones. The most enjoyable part of this job, to date, is walking out of work at the end of the day knowing that you helped improve someones life, even in the smallest way. When you hear a patient who was once suicidal tell you that they have a new will to live, you realize that all the stress of the job is worth it.  less
Pros
free food with dining room escorts, paid time off, paid sick time
Cons
short staffed, low pay, no room for growth
Amazing co-workers but poorly managed.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYAugust 31, 2017
Co-workers quickly become family and there is a great sense of comradey. However the hospital is poorly managed and their is a high turn over rate. Senior management also doesn't even try to hide their contempment for employees and employee saftely seems to be very low on their priority list.
Pros
Hour long lunches, pension and 401k plans
Cons
Poorly managed
Fun workplace, but little room for advancement
Psychiatric Nurse Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cross River, NYAugust 22, 2017
Coworkers quickly become family at Four Winds Hospital. It is fast paced and busy. Unfortunately this is due to a high turnover rate and poor management.
Multi tasking position
Unit Secretary and Spanish Translator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2017
My typical morning was more of a routine answering phone calls, and assisted nurse manager in preparing clinical staff and well as patients for the day. In addition, I performed all clerical duties, covered for other unit secretaries and maintain my units nurses station. Clinical staff and management changed frequently. I can say all the staff and co-workers were very professional and caring with patients. The enjoyable part of my job was not only working with staff but patients as well.
Pros
Beautiful campus, parking, 1 hour lunches, and paid translations..
Cons
Coverage/no perdiem secretaries.No medical records transporter.
review of four winds
Employee (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYAugust 18, 2017
Four winds lacked job advancement for me. The pay was not comparable to like positions in the area. My particular supervisor lacked leadership skills. I enjoy my coworkers.
Is sometimes physically and mentally demanding
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYJuly 10, 2017
Four Winds Hospital can sometimes be a physically and mentally demanding job. However, the thirteen hours per shift go by quickly on the pediatric units.
Unpredictable work environment
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYJune 19, 2017
Very understaffed with little supervision at times. There are times I worry for my safety and the safety of my fellow cowo.rkers. Rules and HIPPA are broken constantly
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
short breaks, understaffed
Good for a starter job
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYJune 15, 2017
Four Winds overall is a great place to start if you have plans to become a nurse, therapist, or doctor. Otherwise, you will see very quickly how replaceable you are so, get out quick.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Management, Safety
poor management
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYJune 12, 2017
Everyone working here is on a power trip. Distasteful environment to work in. The nurses don't run their units properly and will quickly pass the blame onto others when they can't control their patients.
Not that bad
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYJune 7, 2017
Not a Bad job if i have to be honest but i would prefer anywhere else you start the day at 11 am and you leave whenever the work is done management is unhelpful in the work you preform which isn't really surprising but hurts your motivation when they complain about your overall performance but compliment you.
Pros
Good benefits good community nice area
Cons
poor management horrible job security
Productive and fun place to work
Maintenance/Security (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYMay 30, 2017
Been there for 14 years and learned a lot and got to know many people there. Four Winds Hospital is definitely and enjoyable and great place to build your experience.
Don't drink the kool-aid
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYMay 14, 2017
Worst place I've ever been employed by. Took me years to realize this place brainwashed me into believing it was a therapeutic facility. The "higher ups" are disconnected with staff needs and more horrifyingly so: patient needs. They demean you into feeling as if you haven't done enough for the patients, when in reality it's their mistakes which have caused short staffing and dangerous situations. Countless times a day i put myself in harms way to ensure patient safety. After receiving a brain injury from a patient I woke up and realized a job where they treat you poorly isn't worth destroying myself for. Please don't make the mistake i did.
Pros
1:1 contact with patients
Never a dull moment.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYApril 25, 2017
The best days are days that you feel that you've really touched someone's life, bad days are traumatic and make you not want to return. Overall, it is a great hospital.
Challenging position
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYApril 25, 2017
As a night nurse, you are often responsible for up to 28 patients, and charting, documenting, and medication administration is difficult with only one nurse. The job however has taught me a lot about nursing. The staff and patients are very pleasant.
Hospital closed
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 18, 2017
This hospital closed. It is a different location. The other four winds are well managed. Staff are very well taken care. They are compassionate and care about patients.