Fox Chapel Publishing Company

Fox Chapel Publishing Company Employee Reviews

United States9 reviews
In general, Fox Chapel Publishing is a great place to work. You're allowed a certain amount of autonomy, but you need to build time for last-minute changes from management into your schedule. The technology is kept up to date. It's a fast-paced environment, but you're given all the tools you need to succeed.
I am a planner so I really appreciated the consistent Monday-Friday schedule. Having weekends off was a blessing.
I learned a lot about many different roles in the company and how those roles affect all sorts of aspects and why.

Management is generally understanding and easy to work with. If you're mature when working with your superiors, the response is usually the same. You must give respect to get respect.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the daily interactions with customers & clients.
Pros
401K, friendly customers & coworkers, daytime hours

Pros
401K, friendly customers & coworkers, daytime hours
After more than a decade combined work for the company spread out over the last 10+ years, I can give a good rating to the company. Still employed there, during growth spurts it can get a bit crazy. I started out in an entry-level position and now through hard work and study make an above-average compensation for my position especially since I lack of a degree in my area of work.

I've recommended the company to friends and family, some of whom applied and were hired and liked it before moving on.

Typical days depend very much on the department- but generally 9-5.

The owner and managers sometimes take a chance in promoting someone who has shown a good work ethic and skill in a field.

Hardest part of the job is when there are too many balls in the air at once. You have to speak up - ask for help on which are top priority.

Culture is quietly intense, you come in, chit chat a bit and then go to work. The company doesn't make a big deal about it, but they have gone above and beyond for me at times when it counts- medical emergencies, births and the like. They don't offer a lot of formal training, it is on-the-job with your manager. Or " here is a new software program to try"

In good years they often pay Christmas bonus and/or offer paid bus trips to New York City.

The company is very competitive in the sense that they are competing with much bigger publishers, so they expect their staff to turn out better books with better customer service.

I am a bit introverted. I get tremendous satisfaction from the problem-solving aspect of my work. And the people
 - more...
Pros
Challenging work, nice co-workers
Cons
Can get hectic at peak times. Lack of communication from above.
As others have noted, there are some good people there but they are undervalued, over worked, and left with big responsibilities and little to no resources. Things appear one way in the beginning but then the veil is slowly lifted. There are different rules for different people.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
The work is fun and creative and there are some amazing and talented employees who work here.

But that is where the good news ends. At this company you will be micromanaged and undervalued. You will not be empowered to offer input or make decisions. You will be belittled and underpaid. You will be asked to shoulder massive responsibility but given no resources. Your intelligence will be insulted and your job will be threatened. You will be stressed out and overworked.

The company culture and work environment are not healthy.

The company and the owner are not ethical.

Look somewhere else where you will be valued, empowered, and properly compensated.
Pros
Creative work, some talented employees
Cons
Terrible company culture, no work/life balance, poor management
Meetings never happen on time. It is cut throat. Talent is wasted. You never get rewarded for a job well done. You only get trashed for someone else's mistake. The turnover is very high.
If you like to be take responsibility for your overall job and results vs. bureaucracy - you should do well at Fox. Due to the pace and variety of work here, if you aren't a problem-solver or are not used to thinking through things vs. consulting a company manual - you will have to adapt to company needs in order to shine here.
Fox publishes over 100 books a year and two magazines. Almost all are how-to titles - woodworking, art, drawing, quilting and cooking - are some of the more popular subjects. Located in Lancaster County PA since its beginning 26 years ago, it has an excellent reputation in the marketplace. It is a much bigger company than it looks from the outside. We have subscribers in 57 countries for example, and regularly deal with authors and customers around the world.

The company does a good job listening to its customers. And a great job creating beautiful , reasonably-priced books that people need and want. Because the company has a history of steady growth with occasional spikes of very rapid growth, you'll get a chance to learn new things on the job that you might not in other companies.

Office culture is friendly, employees often refer to the "Fox Family".

Pay is competitive with good benefits. It is the type of place where your manager/the boss may take you quietly you aside if you have a family crisis to offer additional help. There are a lot of smart, knowledgeable and productive people working here.

Negatives of this company are often the flipside to its strengths.

Rapid growth means employee training and other HR -type things may be
 - more...
Pros
Creative, Innovative, good pay and benefits
Cons
Growing pains, backend systems often lag company growth
Colleagues were great, the work was fun, but the biggest reason I'd advise staying away from this employer is the owner. Owner is difficult to work with and micromanaging is his forte.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fox Chapel Publishing Company. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8