Franz Family Bakery Employee Reviews

Loved the company, hated deliveries
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 2, 2018
I worked in the Outlet Store. I dont have much to say bad about it except that there was way too much product being sent in with no place to store it. Which made the daily deliveries stressful.
Integrity and Passion
Route Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  WyomingAugust 30, 2018
Few people would associate a career working with bread as being passionate, but they'd be wrong. The managers that I worked with exuded passion, and a love for what they did. This contagious joy for what they were doing makes it nearly impossible to not share the same enthusiasm. This passion is the reason Franz Family Bakery will beat out the competition.

Franz strives to perfect the art of baking, and I feel they have done this well. Anyone who has tasted it knows that the bread isn't dry like other brands, and instead is soft and moist. I know it sounds like I love this company and brand, and that's because once you're immersed in its culture its likely that you will too.

As for actual work days, it differs little from other bakeries. Drivers wake up early "12:00 A.M." and work from anywhere between 8-14 hour days ensuring all customers are satisfied. My title includes integrity because 50% of this job comes from passion, and the rest comes from integrity. There isn't much hand holding, and oftentimes the job that your doing feels more like you're running your own company than working a job. You're given goals, and like an adult you're expected to perform upon them. You are expected to show up earlier than your competition and leave later, that's just the Franz way of doing things. You ensure that every customer feels as though they are the only customer.

If you are thinking about a career with Franz I couldn't more highly recommend it. The first 2 months are the hardest, and they'll definitely push you, but if you make it, there are few jobs more rewarding than
  more... this one.  less
Pros
Infectious workplace, customer service, feeling of accomplishment
Cons
Waking hours, work/life balance (my experience may differ from yours)
Fast paced, good environment
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 15, 2018
Depending on position pay is decent. Union benefits are great. Management is ok, but it all depends on the situation. Working graveyard is tough and the pay is not worth it.
Pros
Benefits, discounts
Cons
No raises for certain positions
Well compensated, great health benefits
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 5, 2018
work 12-15 hours daily, split days off, limited family time. Knees and feet will typically need surgery after several years in the route sales position. Pay is great and you will have the medical coverage to take care of the surgeries you will need.
Productive and fun place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Parkland, WAAugust 3, 2018
Overall, working for Franz was a great company to work for. I feel as though the pay and benefits were accurate in regards to the work schedule as well as the work environment.
Bad leadership and mismanaged from top to bottom
Relief Foreman/Shipping (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAJuly 15, 2018
Management mistreats good workers and they reward the bad abusive employees/ foreman. The environment at the plant is bad with bad air to breathe daily, heavy flour dirt everywhere and the schedules suck (spit days off); there almost isn't a good schedule even for the most senior employees. The management and HR only are looking out for themselves with no ethics at all (just make stuff up on employees all the time). The union teamsters should do to improve this workplace; but they do very little to help to be honest. This workplace is toxic on many levels. Fear based management style, no job security, unhappy workers, negative environment, most of the equipment is very, very old.
Pros
Fair pay and union benefits
Cons
Schedules, split days off, poor management, negative environment, high rate of turn over, etc..
The Worst Place I’ve Ever Worked
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 9, 2018
Terrible place
Waaay too hot
Equipment is out of date and very old
Favoritism and nepotism comes before work ethic
This is the worst place I’ve ever worked
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Fast paced work environment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMay 2, 2018
It was a fast paced sometimes stressful work environment that included long hours of work. Learned how bread was made and the components in making bread and all the steps. Most enjoyable part was payday.
Disfunctional
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, orMarch 8, 2018
Sending all Engineers on simple trouble calls is a horrid waste if time. Engineer responding should call for backup if needed not just because a manager wants it
No CMMS system, antiquated parts storage this is 2018 not 1960
Aging factory with frequent breakdowns. Needs modernization
Shop provided tools are cheap or nonexistent
Mass exodus of engineers starting 2012 to work for the competition or retiring speaks for itself
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
High turnover of engineers
Flexible Schedule
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, ORFebruary 16, 2018
Being able to be a student and do this job part-time was made easy by allowing me to work earlier or later if needed. After getting used to the rotation, it's very easy.
Pros
Flexible with personal schedules, easy
Cons
Not getting more than 20 hours a week
okay company
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  La Grande, ORFebruary 15, 2018
When I first started working here it was hard to get used to. After I worked there for awhile I enjoyed the job but the management at the time was discriminatory against female workers and when I lost my job I had to get my Union involved.
Pros
free bakery products
Cons
discriiminatory against woman
Company vehicles
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORJanuary 30, 2018
Drive company bread trucks to local stores and restaurants. Work bread from backrooms of the stores to the sales floor. Deliver bread to local restaurants at times.
Poor Management and treatment of employees
Outside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDNovember 27, 2017
Franz churns through employees due to the complete lack of respect and appreciation for them. There is contempt from upper level management towards regular hourly staff made even worse by the ignorance and lack of personnel management experience by upper level management.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of respect
Productive workplace
Bakery Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORNovember 21, 2017
A very productive workplace Learned new things in food industry Management not so great CEO not on board with what really happens in the facility Liked my job a lot but procedures change seems like on a daily basis without letting EVERYONE know
horrible place to work
Broker, Real Estate Sales (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 4, 2017
No Family; life working 70 hours a week, Management does not work 70 hours a week, If they do they sit on there bottom and swivel. they get there to break and lunch. we cant even drink water while driving. And then there is no overtime. If you do work overtime your supervisor will clock you in and put so you do not receive it. And your hours will be deducted from your next check. This is very common. All in all its a company where wage and hour need to pay a visit.And the supervisors change at least every six months. They work seven days a week answering phones and putting out fires. Stay away from this place.Only good thing about it is the quality of bread it bakes
Pros
good pay
Cons
Horrible family life
franz work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Billings M.T.November 2, 2017
I loved this job. It was fast paced and always changing. I had to leave due to my mom having cancer. I would go back but I like to do new things. I worked hard for this company
Pros
good pay
Cons
nothing
Fast paced, hard working, HOT, split days off
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 23, 2017
Very fast paced, very HOT in the bakery, Always on your feet, Walk between 10 and 20 miles a day. People I worked with were great. Split days off which wasn't great for how hard you worked
Franz treats employees well
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDOctober 20, 2017
Franz Family Bakery has a competitive compensation package. It is a demanding workplace, but you are appropriately rewarded for your efforts. 50% employee discount is great.
Negative
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 8, 2017
At first it was a great environment and everyone was hard-working, then management hired friends and family. There were a lot of nepotism and favoritism. Became not a fun work environment for anybody unless you were related to the general manager.
Pros
Great benefits for myself and my family
Cons
Never a set schedule, my general manager never followed through with what she said
Miserable and no family life
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 17, 2017
I worked 13 years at the place. I also worked every job in the place while there. I can honestly say your likely to get a divorce and be totally miserable if you work there.
Split days off, you come to work expecting to punch in and go home at a certain time but you find you have to stay over with no advance warning. About half th people are on drugs at any given time and the management plays favorites. You will get little to nowhere with help from the union. A hot humid work environment inside production plant.
Miserable. Miserable. Miserable. Miserable
Pros
Ok Pay
Cons
Split days off, drug problems, hot and humid, backstabbers, management cut throat