Franz Family Bakery Employee Reviews

Fast paced especially on the weekends
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WADecember 24, 2018
As a merchandiser at franz you are required to use your own vehicle and you do get paid .545 to the mile however it is not worth the wear and tear on the vehicle. Also the schedules are inconsistent most of the time. never get weekends off. and you usually work from sun up to sun down one day then the next have to be on the clock at 4a. Not a job I would recommend. Unless you don't mind having your job manage your schedule and be a major part of your life. Then this could be for you.
Pros
Decently good pay, Discounted/free bread
Cons
Inconsistent schedule, Always someone complaining, Have to work even when really sick
Good if you are made for it
Head Pan-o-Mat Operator (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTDecember 20, 2018
Typical day is going in and getting machine set up. 10 minute breaks scheduled about every 2 hours but it is not guaranteed but they do their best. Lunch is 30 min. Long hours in the summer and lower hours in the winter. Management is alright but their job is to run the bakery no matter what so if you have a lot of demands on your time, not a good idea. Paid overtime after 8 hours in one day and 15 minute breaks every 2 hours after reaching 8.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours and not much personal time
fast paced
Checker/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 29, 2018
be ready to give up any personal life as they expect you to be on call 24/7 unwilling to work with any shift difficulty. expected to work extremely hard in hot fast paced environment.
Pros
great pay
Hard but good work
Sales (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 17, 2018
Good place to work. Physical job with demanding hours. Great pay and benefits, Union job, I would recommend this job to anyone who is young enough to handle the physical demands
A day in the life of...
Route Accountant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAOctober 17, 2018
Management has changed several times in the five years I have worked for Franz. The first management team was very structured and disciplined. The current management is not that structured nor disciplined. I think people need a certain amount of structure to function effectively.

I have learned many things about working for a corporation with a lot of politics, and how to deal with people regarding those politics.

I don't find anything particularily hard about my job. I am a person who learns quickly, and adapts very well to new situations. I think I really enjoy the fact that I have many different tasks. Having so many tasks makes each day different, and keeps my brain engaged.
Pros
Great healthcare
Cons
lack of accountability
Loved the company, hated deliveries
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 2, 2018
I worked in the Outlet Store. I dont have much to say bad about it except that there was way too much product being sent in with no place to store it. Which made the daily deliveries stressful.
Integrity and Passion
Route Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  WyomingAugust 30, 2018
Few people would associate a career working with bread as being passionate, but they'd be wrong. The managers that I worked with exuded passion, and a love for what they did. This contagious joy for what they were doing makes it nearly impossible to not share the same enthusiasm. This passion is the reason Franz Family Bakery will beat out the competition.

Franz strives to perfect the art of baking, and I feel they have done this well. Anyone who has tasted it knows that the bread isn't dry like other brands, and instead is soft and moist. I know it sounds like I love this company and brand, and that's because once you're immersed in its culture its likely that you will too.

As for actual work days, it differs little from other bakeries. Drivers wake up early "12:00 A.M." and work from anywhere between 8-14 hour days ensuring all customers are satisfied. My title includes integrity because 50% of this job comes from passion, and the rest comes from integrity. There isn't much hand holding, and oftentimes the job that your doing feels more like you're running your own company than working a job. You're given goals, and like an adult you're expected to perform upon them. You are expected to show up earlier than your competition and leave later, that's just the Franz way of doing things. You ensure that every customer feels as though they are the only customer.

If you are thinking about a career with Franz I couldn't more highly recommend it. The first 2 months are the hardest, and they'll definitely push you, but if you make it, there are few jobs more rewarding than
  more... this one.  less
Pros
Infectious workplace, customer service, feeling of accomplishment
Cons
Waking hours, work/life balance (my experience may differ from yours)
Fast paced, good environment
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 15, 2018
Depending on position pay is decent. Union benefits are great. Management is ok, but it all depends on the situation. Working graveyard is tough and the pay is not worth it.
Pros
Benefits, discounts
Cons
No raises for certain positions
Well compensated, great health benefits
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 5, 2018
work 12-15 hours daily, split days off, limited family time. Knees and feet will typically need surgery after several years in the route sales position. Pay is great and you will have the medical coverage to take care of the surgeries you will need.
Productive and fun place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Parkland, WAAugust 3, 2018
Overall, working for Franz was a great company to work for. I feel as though the pay and benefits were accurate in regards to the work schedule as well as the work environment.
Bad leadership and mismanaged from top to bottom
Relief Foreman/Shipping (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAJuly 15, 2018
Management mistreats good workers and they reward the bad abusive employees/ foreman. The environment at the plant is bad with bad air to breathe daily, heavy flour dirt everywhere and the schedules suck (spit days off); there almost isn't a good schedule even for the most senior employees. The management and HR only are looking out for themselves with no ethics at all (just make stuff up on employees all the time). The union teamsters should do to improve this workplace; but they do very little to help to be honest. This workplace is toxic on many levels. Fear based management style, no job security, unhappy workers, negative environment, most of the equipment is very, very old.
Pros
Fair pay and union benefits
Cons
Schedules, split days off, poor management, negative environment, high rate of turn over, etc..
The Worst Place I’ve Ever Worked
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 9, 2018
Terrible place
Waaay too hot
Equipment is out of date and very old
Favoritism and nepotism comes before work ethic
This is the worst place I’ve ever worked
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Fast paced work environment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMay 2, 2018
It was a fast paced sometimes stressful work environment that included long hours of work. Learned how bread was made and the components in making bread and all the steps. Most enjoyable part was payday.
Disfunctional
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, orMarch 8, 2018
Sending all Engineers on simple trouble calls is a horrid waste if time. Engineer responding should call for backup if needed not just because a manager wants it
No CMMS system, antiquated parts storage this is 2018 not 1960
Aging factory with frequent breakdowns. Needs modernization
Shop provided tools are cheap or nonexistent
Mass exodus of engineers starting 2012 to work for the competition or retiring speaks for itself
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
High turnover of engineers
Flexible Schedule
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, ORFebruary 16, 2018
Being able to be a student and do this job part-time was made easy by allowing me to work earlier or later if needed. After getting used to the rotation, it's very easy.
Pros
Flexible with personal schedules, easy
Cons
Not getting more than 20 hours a week
okay company
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  La Grande, ORFebruary 15, 2018
When I first started working here it was hard to get used to. After I worked there for awhile I enjoyed the job but the management at the time was discriminatory against female workers and when I lost my job I had to get my Union involved.
Pros
free bakery products
Cons
discriiminatory against woman
Company vehicles
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORJanuary 30, 2018
Drive company bread trucks to local stores and restaurants. Work bread from backrooms of the stores to the sales floor. Deliver bread to local restaurants at times.
Poor Management and treatment of employees
Outside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDNovember 27, 2017
Franz churns through employees due to the complete lack of respect and appreciation for them. There is contempt from upper level management towards regular hourly staff made even worse by the ignorance and lack of personnel management experience by upper level management.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of respect
Productive workplace
Bakery Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORNovember 21, 2017
A very productive workplace Learned new things in food industry Management not so great CEO not on board with what really happens in the facility Liked my job a lot but procedures change seems like on a daily basis without letting EVERYONE know
horrible place to work
Broker, Real Estate Sales (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 4, 2017
No Family; life working 70 hours a week, Management does not work 70 hours a week, If they do they sit on there bottom and swivel. they get there to break and lunch. we cant even drink water while driving. And then there is no overtime. If you do work overtime your supervisor will clock you in and put so you do not receive it. And your hours will be deducted from your next check. This is very common. All in all its a company where wage and hour need to pay a visit.And the supervisors change at least every six months. They work seven days a week answering phones and putting out fires. Stay away from this place.Only good thing about it is the quality of bread it bakes
Pros
good pay
Cons
Horrible family life