Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Employee Reviews

Lots of fun to work here
Research Technologist III (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 21, 2018
This was a fantastic place to work. Many learning educational opportunities. Loved working at FHCRC. Best time of my Professional work career. Can't say enough good things about this company.
Great Clinical and Reseach Institution
Research Tech III (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 14, 2018
Very collaborative and academically structured. I would highly recommend working at Fred Hutch for anyone who truly loves science and discovery. Great work / live balance environment.
It is Stressful working for a inexperience manager.
Histology Technician II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 18, 2018
It is hard to fit in a closed circle of people who have learned job skills by getting trained on the job. They are closed minded and can not accept anyone else idea for a change.
Pros
Pay is fine and most educated staff is nice
Cons
Management does not fill positions when people leave and budget is on the top of the list.
Awesome place to work!
Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 9, 2018
An awesome place to work. I enjoyed what I did. I saw some amazing things. I loved that I was a part of advancing cancer research. the people I worked with were wonderful. I had an amazing supervisor.
Pros
Interesting, life changing work, amazing management and co workers, fast paced, great benefits
Cons
Working holidays, being on call, sometimes the job could be emotional
Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center
Philanthropy and Events Intern (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 7, 2018
Fred Hutch was an excellent environment to work in. The staff welcomed me in with big arms and had an amazing way of making me feel like part of the family. I felt that there was a sense of individuality to every department yet a firm allure of cohesiveness.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Work at the Hutch
Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 20, 2018
Congenial community. Great mission. Good work-life balance and benefits. Increasing bureaucracy and strategic planning that isn't always a fit for the research community.
A typical day of work
Undergraduate Intern (Basic Sciences Lab) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 20, 2018
A typical day of work would involve producing data, analyzing and documenting the observations. I was notifying a lab member everyday, and the lab head monthly basis
Exceptional staff performing high quality work
Histotechnologist II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 15, 2018
The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Department of Experimental Histopathology has an excellent capable staff providing exceptional service for histology needs.
Great place to work and do cutting-edge research
Post-doctorate Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 11, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at the Hutch. the people are great and extremely intelligent. The science is top notch and the environment is very collaborative. There are many seminars to attend and the Center attracts the people that are the very best in the field to give talks. If you are looking to learn and advance your career while working in an environment that treats you like family, then the Hutch is for you.
Admirable but stiff working environment
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 30, 2018
While the overall goals of the Center are admirable, it seems that there is a stiff working culture, where people aren't as enthusiastic about sharing ideas as they should be in a scientific setting. Depending on the lab, this could vary greatly, but it seems to be far more common than I had hoped. Without good collaboration and communication, new and exciting projects will be slow to appear.
Pros
Good benefits, well-respected institute
Cons
Stiff atmosphere, poor communication
One of the best places to work
Data Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 24, 2018
By far one of the best companies to work for in the healthcare field in the Seattle area. Fortunate to work along side of really smart, passionate and driven individuals.
I would love to work here again!
Research Project Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 11, 2018
I cannot say enough good things about the fine people I worked with at Fred Hutch. It's a top shelf organization in all categories. Though not at salary, it did not matter to me. It just such an honor to be able to say that I was employed by such a famous and well-respected institution.
Pros
Honor of being associated with such a quality organization
Cons
laid off due to the recession
Very intellectually stimulating
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 1, 2018
It was a fun place to work and I loved the intellectual stimulation. We had weekly lab meetings and opportunities to attend professional talks that took place on a regular basis. The work was very interesting and I was able to set my own hours and treated as a professional.
Pros
set hours
Cons
not provided freedom to drive own projects.
fantastic learning and working environment
Molecular Biologist/Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 18, 2017
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center is a fantastic research facility, with great technical support, equipment, and laboratory staff. This is a very rich learning environment. This research center covers diverse fields of study.
Pros
Great Labs
Culture is very divided between scientific and administrative divisions
Administrative Manager to the VP (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 14, 2017
There are real mixed messages in leadership. It's a bit of a back stabbing environment between the VP-level management. The President can be a jerk. No advancement potential for administrative staff.
Pros
Health benefits are pretty robust
Cons
Not a collaborative environment; low pay.
Great place to work, respect shown to all, patients and staff alike
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 10, 2017
Very well informed leaderships, showing respect for all employees and each other. I was in a great position to learn from a top cancer researcher, whom I respected greatly. There was a lot of variety and the environment was constantly changing, which I found stimulating.

Hardest part of the job was when patients died or did not have a good response to treatment. But it was satisfying knowing we were moving forward with finding newer, better treatments for cancer.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
some instability as studies closed, management staff left (or, in my case, died)
Department Dependant - understaffing
Clinical Research Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 30, 2017
As a result of the economy, there is an increasing prevalence of temporary/ short term positions and overall under-staffing. This makes it very difficult to maintain project quality.
Pros
Free education events
Cons
Temporary positions do not pay for healthcare, vacation or transportation subsidy.
Fun meeting and talking to people from different parts of the USA
Program Assistant, VIDD (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 17, 2017
I collected specimen from patients. It was sad to see what cancer could do to a human body and it broke my heart when patients passed away. It gave me joy at the end of the day to know that in my own small way, I was part of a team that was fighting cancer!
Pros
Understanding clinical research
Cons
None. It was a great place to work.
dynamic work
Clinical Research Coordinator I/II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 3, 2017
I enjoyed working in a dynamic department committed to the development of better immunotherapy for oncology patients. The pace is fast and there is little to no cross coverage. The department had rapid growth and lacked an office manager.
Pros
Working along side some of the best scientist in the country
Cons
no cross coverage
Worthwhile position
Clinical Research Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 26, 2017
There is no typical day which means each day is always different. This is what makes the work challenging. This is a worthwhile position that I can recommend to others,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Reviews by Location