Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Employee Reviews

Productive, Fun, Really cool people work there
Service Desk Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 10, 2019
Productive, Fun, Really cool people work there, Everyone is really caring, helpful. Managers are really easy to talk to. Huge campus so can see something different everyday
Pros
Alot of new people that you can meet daily
Cons
super chill, can get boring
highly dependent on your boss
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 5, 2019
If your PI is a wonderful human being then you likely would love coming to work. I have co-workers with different team members that hated to work with certain PI. If you have an interview, it will be good to observe the behaviors of the workers there.
Breakthrough research
Summer Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 1, 2019
leading the scientific community in life-saving research
great work place with friendly and helpful people
lots of collaboration between different departments
Fhcrc
Quality Assurance (QA) Associate II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 10, 2018
FHCRC is a great place to work. There are dozens of labs all working to find cures for various diseases, and most labs have amazing work culture. I would recommend FHCRC to anyone starting their career.
Quality Research
Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 28, 2018
The Hutch has some the best research scientists in the field. The collaboration with UW is quite beneficial in recruiting talent and increasing the collaborative effort needed for cutting edge science.
Fantastic work environment
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  1100 Eastlake BuildingNovember 16, 2018
I love working here. It is a very relaxed and extremely welcoming place to work. It is very low stress and everyone is more than friendly. I would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking employment.
Great benefits and work/life balance
Data Control Technician I (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98109October 22, 2018
I’ve been working for Fred Hutch for a little over 2 years and it’s a wonderful place. I’m part of the HVTN VIDD decision working as a Data Tech and the work flow is very nice and balanced (some days slow and some days busy). The benefits are amazing and you also get 2 personal days a year on top of your regular vacation hours, not to mention plenty of sick hours. Only major con for me personally is lack of career advancement, or more like it will eventually advance but it will take years (5+). The pay is also not great but it’s manageable and expected from a nonprofit organization. Overall, I think Fred Hutch is a wonderful place to work for at.
Pros
Great benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Lack of career advancement, low pay
Dedicated to the research of cancer
annonymous (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 3, 2018
Very academic related institution and slow to change as a result. Cares about its employees and does what it can being a not for profit organization. Prides itself on the caliber of its researchers and cutting edge technology.
Management establishes unreachable expectations and maintains poor work life balance.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 17, 2018
Management gives unrealistic expectations. Unless you are willing to work +70hrs a week the work culture may not be for you. It is my understanding that HR is aware of the working conditions but only minor improvements have been put in place.
Benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Good place to learn
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 6, 2018
Very Cliqish. You have to remember it is only a job.
Meetings are nice.
People are funny.
Watch what you say. The Hutch is basically a stepping stone for most people. There are some really nice people there.
They should hire bosses who know about the actual job. Not about the management.
Pros
Benefits, Learning skills
Cons
People
Extremely supportive of family , work/life balance, great collaborative atmosphere,incredible benefits
Research Technician III (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 27, 2018
Fred Hutchinson was a great place to work. They offered flexible work schedules , excellent benefits, and were very supportive of a work/life balance. The salary was acceptable and opportunities for advancement were provided. One of the best perks was that training was readily available if you wanted to beef up your computer/technical skills. Classes were provided in Excel , Powerpoint, Access, Adobe Acrobat ,JAVA , Python and R programming. Additionally special enrichment "courses" were available for learning Microscopy and Flow Cytometry. Campus is beautiful and the food service was pretty darn good too.
Innovative place to work
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 11, 2018
As a Post-doctoral fellow, I cannot say much about working at the "Hutch" for a living. However, it was a great place to start my career with the collaborative environment and prominent scientist present.
Pros
Research Powerhouse
Cons
parking is terrible
Lots of fun to work here
Research Technologist III (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 21, 2018
This was a fantastic place to work. Many learning educational opportunities. Loved working at FHCRC. Best time of my Professional work career. Can't say enough good things about this company.
Great Clinical and Reseach Institution
Research Tech III (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 14, 2018
Very collaborative and academically structured. I would highly recommend working at Fred Hutch for anyone who truly loves science and discovery. Great work / live balance environment.
It is Stressful working for a inexperience manager.
Histology Technician II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 18, 2018
It is hard to fit in a closed circle of people who have learned job skills by getting trained on the job. They are closed minded and can not accept anyone else idea for a change.
Pros
Pay is fine and most educated staff is nice
Cons
Management does not fill positions when people leave and budget is on the top of the list.
Awesome place to work!
Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 9, 2018
An awesome place to work. I enjoyed what I did. I saw some amazing things. I loved that I was a part of advancing cancer research. the people I worked with were wonderful. I had an amazing supervisor.
Pros
Interesting, life changing work, amazing management and co workers, fast paced, great benefits
Cons
Working holidays, being on call, sometimes the job could be emotional
Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center
Philanthropy and Events Intern (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 7, 2018
Fred Hutch was an excellent environment to work in. The staff welcomed me in with big arms and had an amazing way of making me feel like part of the family. I felt that there was a sense of individuality to every department yet a firm allure of cohesiveness.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Work at the Hutch
Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 20, 2018
Congenial community. Great mission. Good work-life balance and benefits. Increasing bureaucracy and strategic planning that isn't always a fit for the research community.
A typical day of work
Undergraduate Intern (Basic Sciences Lab) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 20, 2018
A typical day of work would involve producing data, analyzing and documenting the observations. I was notifying a lab member everyday, and the lab head monthly basis
Exceptional staff performing high quality work
Histotechnologist II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 15, 2018
The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Department of Experimental Histopathology has an excellent capable staff providing exceptional service for histology needs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight