Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Employee Reviews

It is Stressful working for a inexperience manager.
Histology Technician II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 18, 2018
It is hard to fit in a closed circle of people who have learned job skills by getting trained on the job. They are closed minded and can not accept anyone else idea for a change.
Pros
Pay is fine and most educated staff is nice
Cons
Management does not fill positions when people leave and budget is on the top of the list.
Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center
Philanthropy and Events Intern (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 7, 2018
Fred Hutch was an excellent environment to work in. The staff welcomed me in with big arms and had an amazing way of making me feel like part of the family. I felt that there was a sense of individuality to every department yet a firm allure of cohesiveness.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Work at the Hutch
Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 20, 2018
Congenial community. Great mission. Good work-life balance and benefits. Increasing bureaucracy and strategic planning that isn't always a fit for the research community.
Great place to work and do cutting-edge research
Post-doctorate Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 11, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at the Hutch. the people are great and extremely intelligent. The science is top notch and the environment is very collaborative. There are many seminars to attend and the Center attracts the people that are the very best in the field to give talks. If you are looking to learn and advance your career while working in an environment that treats you like family, then the Hutch is for you.
Admirable but stiff working environment
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 30, 2018
While the overall goals of the Center are admirable, it seems that there is a stiff working culture, where people aren't as enthusiastic about sharing ideas as they should be in a scientific setting. Depending on the lab, this could vary greatly, but it seems to be far more common than I had hoped. Without good collaboration and communication, new and exciting projects will be slow to appear.
Pros
Good benefits, well-respected institute
Cons
Stiff atmosphere, poor communication
One of the best places to work
Data Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 24, 2018
By far one of the best companies to work for in the healthcare field in the Seattle area. Fortunate to work along side of really smart, passionate and driven individuals.
I would love to work here again!
Research Project Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 11, 2018
I cannot say enough good things about the fine people I worked with at Fred Hutch. It's a top shelf organization in all categories. Though not at salary, it did not matter to me. It just such an honor to be able to say that I was employed by such a famous and well-respected institution.
Pros
Honor of being associated with such a quality organization
Cons
laid off due to the recession
Very intellectually stimulating
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 1, 2018
It was a fun place to work and I loved the intellectual stimulation. We had weekly lab meetings and opportunities to attend professional talks that took place on a regular basis. The work was very interesting and I was able to set my own hours and treated as a professional.
Pros
set hours
Cons
not provided freedom to drive own projects.
fantastic learning and working environment
Molecular Biologist/Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 18, 2017
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center is a fantastic research facility, with great technical support, equipment, and laboratory staff. This is a very rich learning environment. This research center covers diverse fields of study.
Pros
Great Labs
Great place to work, respect shown to all, patients and staff alike
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 10, 2017
Very well informed leaderships, showing respect for all employees and each other. I was in a great position to learn from a top cancer researcher, whom I respected greatly. There was a lot of variety and the environment was constantly changing, which I found stimulating.

Hardest part of the job was when patients died or did not have a good response to treatment. But it was satisfying knowing we were moving forward with finding newer, better treatments for cancer.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
some instability as studies closed, management staff left (or, in my case, died)
Department Dependant - understaffing
Clinical Research Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 30, 2017
As a result of the economy, there is an increasing prevalence of temporary/ short term positions and overall under-staffing. This makes it very difficult to maintain project quality.
Pros
Free education events
Cons
Temporary positions do not pay for healthcare, vacation or transportation subsidy.
Fun meeting and talking to people from different parts of the USA
Program Assistant, VIDD (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 17, 2017
I collected specimen from patients. It was sad to see what cancer could do to a human body and it broke my heart when patients passed away. It gave me joy at the end of the day to know that in my own small way, I was part of a team that was fighting cancer!
Pros
Understanding clinical research
Cons
None. It was a great place to work.
dynamic work
Clinical Research Coordinator I/II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 3, 2017
I enjoyed working in a dynamic department committed to the development of better immunotherapy for oncology patients. The pace is fast and there is little to no cross coverage. The department had rapid growth and lacked an office manager.
Pros
Working along side some of the best scientist in the country
Cons
no cross coverage
Worthwhile position
Clinical Research Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 26, 2017
There is no typical day which means each day is always different. This is what makes the work challenging. This is a worthwhile position that I can recommend to others,
Great institution that has a potential to become a world leader in Cancer research
Analytical Development, Quality Control Associate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 17, 2017
Excellent institution overall where the well being of employees is a priority. Global systems (e.g. management, HR, etc.) are still not fully integrated across the different divisions. However, this is a work in progress as the Center moves on to be competitive with other like institutions in the US and the world.
Pros
Work-life balance and employee benefits
Cons
Lack of professional development opportunities for employees
Health Science Research focused on solving Cancer
Program/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 15, 2017
There are multiple teams within the Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center FHCRC working on many different focus studies to understand and cure the many different types of cancer. Also work goes on solving issues with other communicable diseases within the FHCRC organization. What you need to have is a solid understanding of the biology of cancer and a passion to collaborate on finding a cure.
Pros
Open and relaxed work environment
Cons
promotion
Great Employer
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 12, 2017
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance take great care of their employees. Pay is competitive, management is fair, and the culture of the organization is great
Pros
great benefits
Cons
No Cons
Not great opportunities for advancement
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 6, 2017
Great culture and mission. But not a great place for advancement. Lots of constant re-org...no time to develop or invest in employees. Salary caps on internal employee hires. Had a manager tell me I'd be better off leaving for a couple years and then re-applying to actually see a difference in pay.
Gleat place to learn about research
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 4, 2017
A typical day at work is very much casual and laid back. I've had the opportunity to witnessed how the organization conduct research and with my own little ways, was able to contribute for the betterment of others.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Benefits, Holidays off, Personal Holidays, sick leave
Cons
Career advancement
Great company
Animal equiptment preparer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 30, 2017
This was a great place to work unfortunately the management in my department made it very hard for the people on my crew to do our jobs people who shouldn't have been promoted were being uplifted while the ones who did werent
Pros
Great benefits and wonderful co workers
Cons
Bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Reviews by Location