Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Employee Reviews

United States160 reviews
The atmosphere is that of a big family with a common purpose. The work life balance is a definite plus. Career advancement is limited if you are in the IT arena and politics plays a big role as this is a non profit,
To say I was disappointed in my time here is an understatement. There are too many directors who look down upon others without degrees. Too much corporate bleeding into the non-profit and too many cliques. If you want work/life balance and have little kids, this is not the place to be (unless you live close by and can afford Hutch Kids excessive rates).
During the period of time I was employed, we had quite a bit of turn-over on my team. (In fact, I've noticed that the Recruiting team has again turned over.) It made it hard to get to know people - most kept to themselves.

There were a few Hiring Managers that treated the Recruiting staff quite unprofessionally - one in particular was a high level VP. She made things very stressful and unreasonable. I understand that she was trying to help move the field of Cancer research forward, but that does not give one the latitude to treat others as inferior.

In that same vent, I worked with some GREAT Hiring Managers that relied upon my years of expertise to guide them to hire the best candidates. Thankfully they outnumbered those other interactions!

I very rarely felt value at the Hutch. There was no real managers to help build up the team. Thankfully I was a contractor so did not have to be there very long. It has a great value proposition, but bad personnel issues.
Very competitive and collaborative environment. Postdoc get chance to exposure to a lot novel technology. Very supportive facilities. A lot good seminars.
Good work life balance. Good benefits package, Healthy work Environment, Nice Team to work with. But the management is not supportive enough, cannot judge the employees skillset properly. No Learning Curve.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I worked as a research assistant in the biostatistics division. The environment are encouraging, and my supervisor is very nice and smart. I liked the experience a lot.
Disappointed that the support I asked for from superiors often fell through. The Hutch staff we’re great to work with, very genuine. The company I worked for not as much. Often unnecessary drama.
This is the best company I have ever worked for. An important mission to end cancer with dedicated colleagues and supportive leadership, I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to grow a meaningful career in nonprofit / health administration.
Was great to work on initiatives that has a lot of impact. Collaborative work environment. Top leadership was a bit lacking in terms of clarity in direction.
Working for the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center was a positive experience. I enjoyed worked there. The company treated me well. I would work there again.
I worked as Quality Assurance for the Therapeutic Products Program at Fred Hutch. The department doubled in size in the five years I was there. Despite the growth, our department maintained a tight-knit culture.

To say that I loved this job is an understatement. Working to maintain quality in the manufacturing of life-saving drugs that are the last and only hope for terminally ill patients is reward in itself. In addition, I greatly enjoyed both my daily job responsibilities and the autonomy given to me by my supervisor.

Highly recommend!
Some of the departments are led by non-progressive leaders and operate in traditional ways with no work from home culture. There is little room for career advancement. Employees are stuck with same work titles and salaries for years.
Pros
work-life balance is fine
Cons
Excessive monitoring, no career advancement, old-fashioned leaders
A fantastic place to work if you want to focus on something much larger than yourself - finding cures for cancer and other causes of human suffering touches everyone of us. Very fulfilling place to expend your work time. Lots of cultural change in the last few years, leadership is transforming the organization from its 40+ year origins, into something they think can be more competitive in today's era.
Work can be as busy as you make it
Culture is shifting from mom and pop to corporate: growth, metrics, measurement

Management depends upon where you are; senior management not aligned
Pros
collaboration
Cons
bad senior leadership
Fred Hutch is a great place to work. Excellent people and facilities. I worked in a lab in the Basic Sciences division building. Obviously your typical work day will depend on the lab you work in and what sort of research you are doing.
Enjoying to work with Lockbox, offline/online events.
Meeting every two weeks.

Teaching ASL class during lunch.

Free donuts every Friday.

Chatting with workers during lunch.
Pros
Enjoy to teach ASL with workers
Cons
15 minute-break two times
Work with highly intelligent, educated and driven people working to solve the answer to curing cancers and auto-immune diseases. Expect to be challenged!
There is no minimum bar set for management. Managers are not held accountable for poor organizational practices and if Division leaders are unhappy, it trickles down by harassing lower level staff. HR cannot do anything about unethical managers, they will encourage you to find a different job either within the institution or outside. It really is a shame because if the Hutch had higher quality staff in leadership, the organization would really shine. Instead morale is low and team members usually need to ignore the poor behavior of supervisors in order to get their jobs done.

Bullying and harassment by management is acceptable to the organization. Inconsistency of treatment between staff and blatant favoritism is just accepted as part of the group culture. “Mean Girls” environment, catty remarks and gossip by supervisors is tolerated by HR.
Pros
The mission, exciting projects, some dedicated staff
Cons
Inconsistent leadership, abuse of power, HR is non-responsive
Great location and great people! Fred Hutch is advancing every week and staff are supportive. Constantly changing and growing, which is difficult at times but can be fun.
I Interned at a clinic associated with Fred Hutcinson. It was a great experience to be in a clinical setting and provide to their ongoing research. Great people.
Pros:
Good benefits

Nice office

Ample resources

Cons:

Lack of collaboration

Isolating job culture

Lacks academic environment

One's experience at the Hutch may vary depending on the group they are in. However, I've heard similar experiences from other folks at the Hutch.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Reviews by Location