Fred Meyer Employee Reviews

Found 2,208 reviews matching the search See all 2,210 reviews
Bad work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 3, 2019
Used to be a great place to work. A couple years ago they had a major management shift and became as inhumanely corporate as Walmart. They keep cutting back employee benefits, the value of the employee discount, employee events, etc.
They do not value work/home balance and you will never have a set schedule. You're dreaming if you want a holiday off with your family. They are very aggressive towards working parents. If you want to go back to school, just go ahead and quit. They will not work around your schedule.
Most managers are awful people. Major issue of cliques, manager favoritism, drama, unfair promotion practices, and a real lack of professionalism. Often doesn't follow their own policies and punish employees based on heresay of manager pets. I've seen many good people hurt, and terrible people rewarded. After a decade of working here, I quit and would likely never return to work there.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, low wage, lack of benefits, unhealthy work culture
Could be better
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Meridian, ID 83642October 25, 2018
Originally I really enjoyed working for Fred Meyer. Good work culture, good benefits, reasonable room for advancement. However, Fred Meyer's parent company, Kroger Co. Began exerting greater control over policy and overall company direction. The transition was not smooth and continues to cause problems. Too often individual associates are given more responsibility and projects than can be completed alone. The emphasis on teamwork breaks down immediately because every member of the team is overburdened with their own workload. Standard bureaucratic red tape at the corporate level frequently gets in the way of acquiring the necessary supplies and information needed to complete projects properly. The company also relentlessly creates new programs to boost sales or morale, yet often fall short of their goal do to improper vetting.
Pros
Some good people to work with. Good health benefits.
Cons
Poor work/ life ballance. Massive pay discrepency across company.
No point in working past a few months
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKOctober 25, 2018
Management appears friendly and helpful at first, but as soon as you make it apparent you’re not jumping ship after a few weeks the facade ends. No one is ever trained fully for the position, and you’re expected to carry out the full extent of your job despite not being informed of everything you’re supposed to do. Discounts on groceries are for Kroger brands only so you still pay full price for about 75-80% of your groceries. Raises are never given as promised, unless you’re interested in struggling a few months for an extra 50¢.
Pros
Good breaks, non-grocery items discount, decent pay
Cons
Poor management, struggle with raises, no growth in the company
Terrible management, ridiculous rules, constant stress
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDJanuary 10, 2019
Management is usually bad, with a few exceptions. They do not listen to employees about any of their problems, nor do they attempt to fix them. There are so many rule changes on a seemingly regular basis that make no sense. Most people tend like it okay until they have been there for awhile and realize how messed up things are. Just a mess of a company that has gone down hill in the last five years. Pay is only good if you get all your raises and reach the pay cap, which can take years.
Pros
Benefits are fairly good
Cons
Everything but benefits, not a good place to work
Horrible Management
Frozen Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington StateDecember 5, 2018
This place promotes from the popular crowd, not necessarily the qualified crowd. The managers play favorites and will be smug and arrogant in denying your department hours or help when needed, even if it affects sales. The demand on the employee is unfairly based on popularity, the more popular, the less work. several good employees have burnt out due to poor work/life balance, improper management, and a lack of supervision from regionals to protect the employee.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Everything listed above.
Good place to start retail career
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 20, 2018
Working as entry level cashier, my experience was mostly pleasant. The job was miserable until a bad manager was fired, then schedules were more consistent, everyone was nicer, and the front-end ran more smoothly. Very nice coworkers, decent union (if lunch or bathroom breaks are skipped, you are entitled to some overtime pay; sick pay at 25 cents an hour you would have worked), solid amount of training. Some protection from angry customers, we had to call police and security daily but it was rare for cashiers to be injured. I was robbed at gunpoint and given a day of paid leave at the normal hourly rate.

After Costco, then Aldi/Winco/Employee-owned grocery chains, Fred Meyer is the best retail with grocery store to work for in my opinion.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, higher than average pay, tiny discount on some items
Cons
Middle management too bottom-line-oriented, damages company in long term
Fred Meyers
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 17, 2019
A typical day at work was always faced paced, consistantly busy, helping customers and supposingly working as a team, all though there was employees that wouldn't do their jobly duties, then forced to work late do to other emloyyes lack of work.
I learned that Fred Myers's has very poor management skills such as favortism, lack to keeps employees safe, lack of following the rules, and lack of respect as well as they under pay most employees.
Fred Myeres culture was very disgusting. Not a place that treats their employees right.
The hardest part of my job while working there was having to deal with such rude/ threatning employees as well as having some very disturbing customers. Nothing I coud'nt handle but would defintly perfurred not of having to deal with all of it, and for things to have been handled the right way.
Pros
face paced
Cons
Poor pay, poor management, lack of respect, lack of keeping employees safe.
Management really does not care
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 10, 2019
Management at fred meyer is very clearly only interested in the bottom line and meeting their own goals. Most managers seemed unhappy in their roles and disinterested in anyone else's. Inconsistent scheduling (both number of hours and times of day worked), would not get raises when scheduled to, management was not approachable for inquiries.
Pros
some store discounts, 10-20%
Cons
scheduling and pay
Fairly poor workplace
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 30, 2018
Most positions are entry and can be filled quite easily; however, the pay is minimum and the job is stressful. The company is very poor at training new hires proper. There is the option to make a career by taking leadership positions, though there is little incentive to do so. The entry and other lower positions are union, but management positions are not.
Pros
Unionized, health benefits, employee discounts
Cons
Low pay, minimal incentives, stressful
The union sucks, but it is necessary
Grocery Relief Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  OregonAugust 11, 2018
Corporate is always cutting hours and the stress falls on the employees and managers. No one knows how to actually deal with it, so everyone gets frustrated.
If you move into a key role then your ability to use your time off is severely limited because the company doesn't train backups very well. And on that note: Training Is Basically Nonexistant.
Right now the company is desperate for more grocery management, so people are getting promoted when they definitely shouldn't.

Full time status requires open availablity, so kiss any work life balance goodbye.

Of course, the union locally is UFCW and they are a horrible union. Very unreliable. But they are totally necessary because as soon as you advance to a position that is non-union there is the risk of getting writeups just because a senior manager wants to make a power statement. I know half a dozen people who got writeups that never would have stuck if they'd still been in the union.
benefits
Cons
management, hours, scheduling, no work=life balance
Management is unproffessional
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport, OROctober 20, 2018
Management is incredibly unprofessional borderline inappropriate. No respect for employees. Job is pretty secure thanks to union. High turnover rate. Super inconsistent work schedule. Promotions based on social status not knowledge or skill set.
Pros
Benefits health/vision/dental, Holiday pay, paid sick leave, paid vacation
Cons
Unprofessional management, inconsistant work schedule, inadequate training time
An inconsistant company with inconsistant values
E-Commerce Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 15, 2018
As a manager I was not overly supervised. No micro managing which was nice. The one thing that I had had enough of was the inconsistency of holding people accountable.
There were numerous times through out my career where lesser performing managers where not at all able to perform to the level I did, and still I was told to consistently to perform at a higher level that was very difficult to achieve with the given limited resources.
I am all for being pushed to succeed, especially when other people see it in you to be successful at any level. But when the hours drop, standards are not adhered to, and no upper management is being held accountable for their actions, it makes it very difficult to bestow my skills as a manager for a company so inconsistent in up holding the very values it wants you to live by.
Pros
Holiday brunches, employee appreciation day
Cons
Low pay, not enough training
Stay away from this company
Clicklist Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 6, 2018
I started working for Fred Meyer under the impression that the pay would be great and the benefits would be fantastic, boy was I wrong, associates that have been with the company for 2-3 years or more were making $16 an hour and us new hires were only making $12 per hour and the hours were non existent and I have open availability and we were only scheduled for 15-16 hours per week if that we weren’t even at part time status with those hours and that would mean our pay checks were only $180-$190 per week and that’s not enough to pay the bills so if you are looking for a job that doesn’t pay then go to this company but I would advise people to look elsewhere if they need the money and the job stability because hours would be cut depending on how busy the department is so the hours would never be consistent
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Hours, pay, management
Average Retail Environment
Fred Meyer Management (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 14, 2018
Fred Meyer can be a great step into the job community however the lack of appreciation and work life balance is a major downside. In my entire career with the company i never felt truly appreciated by the corporate chain and instead felt belittled as a manager and worker.
Pros
Flexible Work and Benifits
Cons
Low Appreciation and Work Life Balance
Some jobs are good and some are terrible. Look elsewhere.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Anchorage Municipality, AKDecember 28, 2018
In general I believe the other associates are good people and it was nice working with them. As a customer it is a very good place to shop. A lot of effort goes into working with customers.

Upper management sucks a lot. Half of middle management sucks a bit. Lower management sucks the most (talking stocking). This store is greatly understaffed. Training goes on for months. Most of my training was self-taught and I had to work hard to get my questions answered. Lower management has a bad attitude probably from being lower management. Standards are not met. Lots of yelling at other stockers for not keeping up with the 50 case an hour workload. Finally just could not take the poor attitude surrounding us.

I have been around and Walmart and Carrs are better for this job. When a store lacks the proper amount of workers you know something is wrong and you know they will push whoever remains past death.
Pros
You will make friends and the hard work is good for the body
Cons
Very stressful working conditions.
Great company
SERVICE DELI ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WADecember 29, 2018
There were a lot of things that I didn't agree with on a personal level, but overall this is a good company. There is job security because it is a union. You do have to pay monthly union dues...but that also covers your medical insurance, and it is actually pretty decent insurance.
Pros
benefits, work hours, overtime, Pto, sick pay
Cons
some of the management
Your coworkers will be the best part
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 7, 2018
Overall a very good company to work for. Occasional problems with mismanagement from the corporate level (not scheduling enough people, transfers are not guaranteed a position). Good compensation, opportunities for advancement for those willing to put in a days work. Union protection. 401K, good benefits for medical, and a fair amount of vacation time. Pace is quick most of the day but not unmanageable.
Pros
Lots of vacation time, prevailing wage, plenty of breaks, discounts, coworkers
Cons
rude customers, low hours in some departments
Pretty average experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WADecember 31, 2018
I didn't have much of an issue with the job as a cashier. Pretty standard for what it is. A great place to start if you are new to the workforce. Just be warry of old school workers skewing your view of what is going on. People that spend a long time working in that kind of environment have a slight tendency to become bitter. That is a general statement though, not a factual truth. Take it with a grain of salt.
Pros
Union if that is your thing, Decent pay at Journeyman, Decent benifits.
Cons
Iffy management, Lack of communication, Stressful.
Productive fun entry level position
Parcel (Former Employee) –  Shelton, WADecember 16, 2018
This job was very fun and was a good look into what the real world was like. The only real problem I ever had was trying to advance and after 5 separate interviews, they were all denied so I left.
Pros
Benefits.Nice people, Good intro to work life
Cons
Advancement
It's a good place to work some of the times.
PEM Section Head (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WANovember 9, 2018
My typical day starts with me checking my paperwork. looking at emails, grabbing a radio, and then heading down to the showroom area. When this occurs I might be separating tags, planning my crews daily activities, looking over prior work, and overall planning the day/week ahead.

I have learned that some places have a sink or swim ideology. This could be great if the person is willing to actively search for career placement and training. If a person is not a self starter or willing to look into opportunities, then that person might be lost in the shuffle of the day to day operations/leave due to the lack of training.

The hardest part of my job is making all parties aware of issues and getting those issues completed. I work as a middle management position so I see upper management, employees under me, and customers on a regular business day. That can be complicated because projects might need to be done but management needs one thing but the customer always come first. So trying to get all tasks done for the day is difficult due to all these factors.

The above reasons can also be a great reason for being their. If a person is willing to work with all parties and be successful at this, then a better shopping experience is created for the customer.
Pros
Nice employee benifits/discounts.
Cons
Stressfull being in the middle of customers, employees, and upper management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred Meyer. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Fred Meyer.

Powered by Comparably