Fred Meyer

United States4,335 reviews

Found 4,335 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,347 reviews
meyermeyerskrogerunionstorediscountretailcustomer

Productive and fun workplace

Appreciated the experience I received from this lovely and wonderful workplace. Would not change much except bathrooms aren’t always cleaned much. Coworker helpful

Not a long term job

I worked at a Fred meyer fuel station in OR it wasn’t the worse job however I would never recommend anyone work there for a long time.It’s very understaffed and I’d have to deal with things by myself a lot. For example I could be working by myself and there could be an issue with a pump (which happens A LOT) and I’d have to call the store try to provide good customer service and continue to do my job explain to the store what’s going on call somebody else then get a call pick somebody’s sick call the store again and they’re upset then go into the little store and help somebody buy something. Just like a load of tiny stressful things would happen at all the time and didn’t feel like a minimum wage employee should put up with. + the customers would be extremely rude.

Pros

Hour long lunch flexible schedule

Cons

understaffed store management

Fred Meyer insights

Based on 2,537 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

High expectations for low pay

Not a great place to work if you need a job it’s a job but try another grocery store before Freddy’s. Company screwed me around with pay, HR department was the store gossip, no standing mats, management is a disaster.

An absolute joke of an employer

Everything about the company policies just screams "you work sixteen tons, what do ya get?", HR was willing to overlook the drug policy because "it won't come up unless you get hurt", they ignored my preferred positions and put me in my least preferred department, managing individuals operate solo with little communication or unity in the decision making, just all around a joke of a place to work if you want anything beyond some quick easy cash. Definitely don't recommend staying past a check or two though.

Good Coworkers, Horrible Management

I love my coworkers and the workload isn't too bad. The hours are inconsistent and management doesnt care about you. They just care about themselves and the company.

Nice location

It's a very decent place in the suburbs of Seattle so there is a lot of people who frequent the store especially on holidays expect long lines and out of stock item.

Easy entry level job

Started in high school, and was a great learning experience. A variety of tasks from physical to customer service. Good for entry level, wouldn't make a career out of it.

Terrible pay

Lots of opportunity to move up but you’ll barely even get a pay raise when you do advance. You are protected by the Union which is really nice. Management was not good at my location

The people are great, management sucks

A typical day at workIf it's a busy time of year, tons of stuff to do with no time to do it while management complains about you not working hard enough. During the slow times of year it's pretty relaxing, although you often have to go behind management's back to get hours (coming in unannounced, jumping rank). What you learnedIt's certainly interesting seeing how the food people buy gets treated from delivery, to shelf/back room, then either in the trash or to your cart. ManagementIf you're lucky you'll get lazy managers that don't care either way about what you do (within reason). Be warned though those types usually don't know what is going on, so average workers have to pick up the slack. Luckily haven't dealt with overbearing managers yet, at least none that actually had any authority over me.Workplace cultureHonestly the people I work with are pretty great and supportive of me, though constant stress exists during the holidays and because of how management runs things.The worst part of the jobKnowing that all your hard work either isn't good enough to management, or that all the progress you made to making your store better can get undone in a single shift because of a decision by management. The most enjoyable part of the jobThe people are great the ones you work closest to are like family and everyone is pretty friendly. I've talked to many people at my work who are on the verge of quitting and they all say the only reason they're staying is for the relationships they've made with other workers.

A place to work when you need money

This job will pay you for manual labor, don't expect much more. If you're into unions, work here. You will be assigned daily tasks and will often be pulled from those duties to put out fires somewhere else. Its hard to feel accomplished when every day feels the same.

Pros

Job security

Cons

work/life hard to balance

Messy management and felt dehumanizing

They would regularly mess up people’s pay checks and you would have to watch your hours and correct them. Management would cut or give you hours without even telling you or asking you. If you didn’t like something, they didn’t care. I ended up quitting due to a manger singling me out and picking favorites. Overworked and underpaid and under-appreciated, threw up on my first day in front of customers, they didn’t care just said wash my hands and get back to work. They said the time I spend throwing up and cleaning up would be my break for that shift. Said my availability was weekdays and it was a continuous argument. They said I didn’t put my availability as that and said if I did then they wouldn’t have even hired me.The only good thing was the other coworkers were equally as depressed and stressed so they were the only nice thing bout that place.

What is the best part of working at the company?Helping people with an attitude of gratitude and excitement. Many of the same people. It is easy to become familiar and then acquainted with wonderful people and co-workers.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Cashiers are expected to run a customer's purchases over that scanner at a rate of 20 items per minute. The count is averaged over the whole time a customer is in front of the cashier. Before the pandemic a customer likely was impressed and grateful for that treatment. We were VERY BUSY people, like hamsters on an exercise wheel. Then the 'Rona caused a whole world to shut down. I believe it began to be a "treat" to go to the store and mingle with others. So I feel, at that time, the IPM was pushy, we appeared shallow and somewhat dismissive. Being in an essential profession, we (Cashiers, etc) did not know how the shutdown affected our greater population. I didn't, at least, until people kept saying "thank you for being here." "Thank you for being open," "thank you, thank you thank you." I would have spent just a little more time with my people. Schmoozing. I'm good at it. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very supportive, transparent, dependable. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Hot, sweaty, fun, challenging, fulfilling

No training, no check in from management. Kroger could care less about their associates.

Poor management. No communication.No support.Very cliques.Too much high school ish drama.One crew does most of the work with absolutely no pat on the back for anything.Clean up the big wigs from Corpetate Offices are coming then no follow up.

0/10 Never Recommend.

This was honestly the worst job of my life. It was fun at first until things just went downhill and I and many others were told we were lazy for being college students. Management was literally never there. Many peoples availability was never actually put to use when we were told to put it in early for classes. It was hard to go to a manager or pic to tell them you're sick or not feeling well at work because you were likely told something along the lines of "yeah well you can't leave because we have no one here." Never work the front end if you decide to work here. It was constantly swamped and you would miss breaks and lunches because pic never actually did their jobs. One particular pic was already removed by the time I left, so who knows how it is now. It was honestly not even worth it. Getting yelled at by customers and when a situation came up where you needed a pic to handle something, it felt like you were getting blamed for it. HR was never around either and never really did anything to fix things. I'm not surprised if they end up not having anyone in the front end and require those in the back to come running up to the front because they always need 10 backup cashier's. It was super unprofessional and super disappointing to see how poorly the place was run and how poorly people were treated. I would never recommend this place in a million years.

Pros

Paid weekly

Cons

Missing breaks and lunches due to pic incompetence

Can be boring at times but they give the hours you need and the work environment in very inclusive.

A typiclleday at work is very predicatable. Each shift is nearly the exact same. Work environment can be boring at times but they pay reletively well and co-workers are very friendly and inclusive.

Work was simple, unlike Environment

Worked both Soldotna and anchorage locations. Soldotna fredmeyer Pick-Up was amazing. However, anchorage fredmeyer on DIMOND broke several heath rules. Management took me outside to discuss work related situations. Spoke to HR, was told it’s “unfair, but expected”, even “that department causes stress and drama”. Experienced 1-3 year employees tried getting me written up for telling HR they are breaking code.

Pros

Walking around store, customer service experience

Cons

Strict on certain Employees, Rules Broken.

fun place to work at (sometimes)

asked me to come on my days of and I always came. And then they stated talking behind my back cause I was the youngest one working there so they thought they can control me. And managers have no respect at all.

Pros

It’s a fun place to work

Cons

Short breaks don’t get ur break on time.

What is the best part of working at the company?leaving it permanently What is the most stressful part about working at the company?There are three big issues. 1. The wages aren't sufficient to cover rent anywhere in the city. 2. The abuse of workers during the early parts of the Covid pandemic and the deference to angry ignorant anti mask customers that I personally witnessed in my Medford branch was horrifying. 3. As people were out or died of the virus, workers were just given more work while not receiving appropriate pay increases. I will never work for Fred myers again and I make sure my family doesn't even shop there anymore.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?terrible. Its "like a family", meaning you get extra work but no appropriate pay. Oh, they will offer you finger food to share instead of a raise during a pandemic though so.... yeahWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?You could feel the exploitation the minute you clocked in. Other than that it was just work. Do your job, go about your life, rinse repeat.

Understaffed

Massively under staffed and working those who are currently employed to the bone. You will be asked to work on days off/outside of availability. Pay in certain departments is lower than the rest of the store.

3 Stars

Typical day at work is consistently productive; interacting with customers and managing your work area. The work environment was okay most employees were nice.

Pros

Hour lunch and benefits

Cons

rude customers, short staffed, long lines, and not properly trained

What is the best part of working at the company?Nothing good to say about the company there are coworkers that were really good people working for a very bad company and I hope they all find way better jobs instead of dealing with the garbage they have to deal with Fred Meyer and Kroger. The pay was terrible management was terrible the company did nothing about any of the problems and they were very shady at times. Fred Meyer at one point was a very good company but since Kroger bought them it’s terribleWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?ManagementWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?A lot of very nice people work for Fred Meyer but the management is absolutely horribleWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Work load very heavy management was unworkable if you could find them and pay was very low

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred Meyer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Fred Meyer with

Fred Meyer reviews by popular job title

• Fred Meyer
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?