Freddie Mac Employee Reviews

Stable
Single Family Operations Professional (Current Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 19, 2018
Of course I could complain about how I believe I am underpaid. I can talk about the political red tape which clogs the decision making for upper tier managers. But instead I want to mention the stability and security of my position.

As long as I do my job, do it well, and show that I am a responsible person, my job here is not in jeopardy. Advancement opportunities depend on your department and management, though either way a good bit of politics is involved.

My job allows me the stability of schedule and content of paycheck to pay my bills and put some money into savings. However discretionary income for travel and other activities are usually sources through seasonal part-time work.
Enjoyed the work
Floater (Former Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 24, 2018
I really needed the cash. The contract position only paid about $14 an hour. Lots of hard work, but I loved it. The cafeteria was a plus. I was a floater between three distressed loans departments. I was instrumental in teaching the clients what was expected of them. Many did not report correctly because they didn't know how. I got so many compliments that a full time employee must have felt threatened and requested that I be moved. I helped a lot of people by calling and asking if I could assist them in getting their reporting done on time. They were pleased to have someone who could assist.
Pros
Lots to learn
Cons
Not enough compensation from contractor
Great company to work for
Loan Processor Sr (Former Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 17, 2018
Freddie Mac is a great company to work for with a great culture. They offer their employees training opportunities and benefits. The only bad thing is that I found most positions monotonous. I would only work there again if I could do something I actually found interesting.
Pros
Benifits, Cafetiria, Gym, Flexible hours
Cons
Ceritain positions can be monotonous
Inefficient, Racist, Country Club Work Culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  MultifamilyOctober 8, 2018
Widely differing skill sets and educational and professional background among staff. Zero cohesiveness and teamwork. Promotions entirely based on popularity and whom you knew. The singular exception to all this negativity was the rarefied, dignified, progressive world of the economists and statisticians in capital markets, credit policy, and risk management. Else, especially, in technology, so many keystone cops, countless ants bumping into each other. In Multifamily, envy, resentment, favoritism. King one day, fired the next. If you were white and knew your place and wore your twinsets and pearls, you could manage to keep your job for decades.
Pros
Decent health insurance
Cons
Everything else - see review
Customer Focused Data Drive Company
Data Analytics Senior (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 3, 2018
Freddie Mac offers excellent compensation, work-life balance, and exposure to the latest data analytics and web development technologies. The culture is focused on innovation and efficiency improvements. Employees can sometimes be overwhelmed by the number of projects assigned to them, but this is truly a company that lets you take control of your own growth potential. Coworkers are in good spirits and always looking for opportunities to collaborate. Freddie has an incredible benefits package and is constantly revising it to make it as competitive as possible. As with most large companies, Freddie suffers from policy and procedure overload that can hinder project progress with substantial red tape.
A victim of a sexist work environment
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
A young, and blonde analyst from no-name college was promoted from an analyst in a year. The head of group is a middle-aged white male with little knowledge of mortgage securitization. Hired a consultant at $200 per hour to help him do his job. The middle-aged white male only talked to the young blonde like she was the only employee in the group, and constantly put other four employees at back burners. Ridiculous sexiest environment. HR did nothing to prevent or stop this.
Pros
Nice Cafeteria
Professional and Growth Opportunity
Training, Dev. Recruitment Project Manager (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 11, 2018
Freddie Mac is a professional environment and allows their employees to grow and learn many facets of the secondary mortgage industry.

Typically my days were long and provided many successes. I learned the secondary mortgage industry thoroughly. Management was great. The hardest part of the job was commitment to long days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff.
Pros
Professional Enviroment
Cons
Long days
Change for Change sake
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2018
Reorgs, construction, shifts in management and all of it leads to nothing. Every time a new executive is brought in they feel they need to make major visible changes to justify their being hired. The changes lead to nothing, middle management doesn't allow good changes to go through and also blocks some of the bad changes so really all that happens is there is another round of instability.

Freddie is big on checking the box but not following through on real change. The people are very nice, but management seems fairly disinterested.
Pros
Great people, excellent cafes, Coffee shops on campus, good software and a very good IT help desk
Cons
Management is so invested in justifying their existence that they will switch out products, or start a replanning or a reorganization without caring about how it effects employees.
Multifamily mission critical
Manager - Multifamily Asset Mngmnt/Loan Servicing (Current Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 28, 2018
Freddie Mac is a strong flexible employer. The commercial real estate capital markets are ever evolving and so working within the industry is always changing. Freddie Mac is no different. I enjoy the fact that our mission is at the forefront of solving the housing affordability gap crisis in the country. It feels good to know your work serves this critical social need. The most difficult aspect of the job is being under conservatorship and the negative outside perception of the GSEs contribution versus risk. Many benefits of working within the capital markets, such as conference attendance, are not available .
Pros
Mission directly applicable to solving current housing issues, good sr mgmnt, good benefits
Cons
conservatorship limitations, lack of conference attendance below director level, inconsistent pay/promotion between departments
Got laid off after 15 years and have fond memories there
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 30, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Freddie, but over the years the cultured changed from being more a family oriented place to more stiff and corporate. However, not a deal breaker. If not laid off I'd likely still be there. The pay was dreadful getting 3 percent raises a year.
Review
Sr. System Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 4, 2018
I have been working at Freddie Mac as a contractor. Worked on 2 different projects. Wonderful people to work with. Get to learn a lot. Projects can be challenging at times, but its a good thing at the end.
Pros
Very nice group of people. Somewhat flexible work hours and arrangements.
Cons
repetitive work can get boring
Learning expereience
Senior Financial Controller Professional (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 25, 2018
I have learned a lot while working at Freddie mac for 6 years, how to work in a diverse culture and embrace new opportunities. we had very flexible yet productive day at work..review daily pricing reports for derivatives and created financial reports. the hardest part was to wait for the data from upper management to finish some of the pricing reports.

The most enjoyable part was attending social events offered by company and be able to socialize and learn new things about the different areas of the company.
Pros
flexibility, on site free gym and classes, CPE credit classes
Cons
healthcare plan
Freddie Mac - great work environment
Database Analyst (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 18, 2018
the environment at Freddie Mac is great for people who like a nurturing organization. there are many events, many social and holiday gatherings, it's a fun place to work. Parking can be a problem at time.
Pros
large corporate culture, cares about health and welfare
Cons
parking, too many meetings with frequently poor agendas and little prep time
Good learning experience
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 19, 2019
Good work environment with customer and IT working in same location which gives many new opportunity to directly working for end users and understand and discuss project expectation. There are pros and cons working here... however if you enjoy learning new things.. this is good place.
Great Work place
UAT Tester (Former Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 12, 2018
Freddie Mac is a Great place to Learn a lot on Mortgage business and learn more tools and technologies.
Worked at McLean Virginia.
The chance to meet with different peoples and the great place to exchange ideas and share Knowledge.
Work with Multi-Ethnic Background is a great experience.
Contractors are 2nd class citizens.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 11, 2018
Money's good, no job security. Location is not optimal, tons of traffic.
Was doing IT job for well over a year, had a great reputation. Spent a couple of months in a Business Analyst gig, left voluntarily due to the toxic group I was working with.
Pros
Money
Cons
No loyalty.
Fair work life and benefits, but day to day can be frustrating
Application Support Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 14, 2018
Company tries to keep pace by offering attractive benefits to the employees, but the culture is tough to get things accomplished. The organization is contently moving teams/groups around, but management and culture does not change, so hard to get things to move forward.
Pros
flexible work if manager allows
Cons
culture and constant changes
Great place to work for a full time
Member of Credit Analytics Risk (CAR) (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 4, 2019
Contractors are treated as second class citizens, but its a great place for the full time employees. No work from home allowed unless you are full time employees.
Pros
good benefits for fte's
Cons
No work from home allowed to contractors
Too many fiefdoms to truly be successful
Management (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 3, 2018
There are a lot of wonderful people who deserve a lot better leadership. 10 years of conservator-ship have made leadership lazy and more focused on looking good rather than delivering on objectives. Loyalty and leadership are two concepts that escape the senior leadership team and that lack of faith is felt across the enterprise. Supposed leaders build fiefdoms and focus on themselves rather than collaborating with other divisions to be successful.
Pros
Great people that execute the functions that make Freddie operate
Cons
Weak leadership, no loyalty to high performers, too little true collaboration
Great Place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 13, 2018
Freddie Mac was a great place to work because of the culture environment the great work they did within the community and the wonderful people who made it a Fortune 500 great place to work
Pros
Excellent work life balance, great work culture, benefits and the great work they do within the community
Cons
Government oversight caused unstable work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Freddie Mac. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

57%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

86%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss