Freddie Mac Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Duplicative Work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mclean VaJuly 19, 2018
Very Racist culture, and poor management. They woo you to get in the door, but they are not geared toward giving your best.
They prefer that you do as you are told, and not make any improvements to becoming a number one organization.
Great workplace
Compliance Examiner Manager (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 12, 2018
I worked at Freddie Mac for a couple of years but this was by far one of the best companies that I have worked for in my entire career. The only reason that I am not still an employee at Freddie is because the program that I worked for ended at the end of 2016. The Making Home Affordable program ended in 2016 and therefore our jobs were eliminated.
Bureaucracy is the daily norm
Full time Employee (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 11, 2018
Hard to get anything accomplished and too many people who has only known FM their entire career and they stop innovation or even bring in fun to work.
Pros
Benefits, cafeteria
Cons
Bureaucracy, potential long hours, Too many silos, hard to get advancement among middle to lower ranks
in my own words
Default Settlement Analyst (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 11, 2018
overall a great Company to work for , and all good experiences and great people that was pleased with their roles. good environment, the cafeteria was amazing and would recommend FM to all as a career choice... I am currently seeing a FT opportunity and hoping to become a permanent employee with this GREAT employer
N?A
Consultant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 10, 2018
A typical day at work is never the same. Although the work is similar and repetitive , the experience isn't. You never know what to expect , but that's the beauty of working here at Freddie Mac.
Buddy Buddy culture
PM Tech Lead (Former Employee) –  Mclean, VAJuly 9, 2018
It has a buddy-buddy culture. CIT is the new IT for Freddie Mac where the new management wants to bring their own known people to run the company's IT.
Pros
Healthcare
Great Place to work - right up until you get laid off.
Senior Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 9, 2018
It's a great place to work, wish I was still there, laid off. I spent 6 years there and enjoyed my time there. Great benefits, pretty decent salary; great coworkers.
Freddie Mac is a good company to work for
Project Management Consultant (Independent) (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 5, 2018
Working at Freddie Mac was a growth opportunity for me and the skills I learned while I was there prepared me for other opportunities. Promotion for contractors is not always fair are available.
Cons
Varied competency in contractors and employers
Good company, but a lot of work to be done.
Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VA 22102July 1, 2018
FreddieMac is an interesting place to work because you can be rewarded for your work or totally ignored for your job well done. Meetings are constant and the running joke is "I don't have time to do my job because I'm always in meetings talking about what I need to do." The buildings are being redesigned and updated, but like most places of work no it's just a large open area with lots of desks and no privacy, but as long as you're working near your team, it's not a problem. The management can be a little harsh as if they have forgotten what the "worker bees" are having to do on a daily basis and the distribution of work is also unfair. Some are working 10 hours a day and others are working for just 6. The company offers competitive benefits and compensation and there's a new VP shaking things up and giving back to the employees. My favorite thing about the company is the employees because at the end of the day we all understand we're in this together and will assist each other when needed.
Pros
benefits, cafeteria, employees
Cons
management, lots of work, no recognition for hard work
Culture Shock
Project Manager II (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 26, 2018
Overall, the company has great benefits, however, stale management and poor leadership is prevalent. They tell employees they want them to be empowered but handcuff them when they try to make decisions based upon the expertise they hired them for in the first place. They rarely ever listen to suggestions from employees and have a management in place that bullies their employees.

I would recommend finding another opportunity if you are seeking collaboration and professional growth
Pros
On site doctor
Cons
Lack of direction and leadership, Negative culture
Pay Rate is too Low
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 26, 2018
Freddie Mac can afford to pay the contractors (Security) more than what they pay them. A typical day at Freddie Mac, starts with me getting to work at 0600 eating breakfast, signing in and then standing at the front door greeting and welcoming the employees and visitors to the building with a Big Good Morning or Good Afternoon, I've learned there computer system management is ok, there are different cultures that work there. The hardest part of the job is standing all day and the most enjoyable part of the job is making everyone who I come in contact with smile.
Pros
meeting new people and making them smile
Cons
the drive to Virigia every morning and then the drive back to Dupont Circle every evening.
Business Analyst - Senior (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 25, 2018
Great atmosphere all around. Company is driving for results in the right direction and they provide an excellent place to learn and continue to grow.
Job security.
Mortgage Accountant (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJune 23, 2018
Job feels secure. Racial fear everywhere; be on your toes. Be politically correct and you will survive. Performance reviews are tense. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Pros
Work never stops.
Cons
Management driven by quota, policical correctness.
Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 21, 2018
Worked here for many years. Experienced much growth while the company went through a lot of changes. The company truly believes in it's mission. Work/Life balance, benefits and pay are great. The people are wonderful and willing to help your career growth.
Pros
Work/Life balance, benefits, pay, people, potential to grow
Cons
Many changes to company, conservatorship
Positive Work Environment
Senior Title Specialist | REO (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXJune 20, 2018
Great place to grow and develop. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping America recovery from the mortgage meltdown. Helping community reestablish.
Industry leader
Manager of Corporate Relations (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 20, 2018
A good place to work and at present focused on technology, compliance, regulation and data-driven management. I had a good experience working at this company and understand that changes in the industry changed the focus of my area of work and l became not part of a strategically important group. I will work again for Freddie Mac if given the opportunity and I still have a few good friends working there.
ba
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 18, 2018
learned time management and understanding the user needs and documenting them in the BRD. participate in the testing phase to see if the application is the requirements or not.
Great Workplace
CLOSING REO SENIOR (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXJune 13, 2018
Awesome workplace, Remote work option, Flex work schedule, great with work life balance. Manager was great always concerned with your career advancement.
Interesting environment
Senior Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 12, 2018
I worked in three separate departments and all were extremely different. In the thick of operations the teamwork either can make or break the work stream so it was important to have a cohesive bond with your coworkers. In general a lot of your career success will depend on the department and the manager. Sometimes the hardest thing is getting a decision made or approved due to a bureaucratic nature. The CEO is trying to change that and the overall culture but as he found out it takes time. He remains focused in doing so.
Pros
The gym, cafe, telework abilities
Cons
A lot of meetings, bureaucracy
Great Company / Deep Talent
Senior Consulting Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 7, 2018
The biggest problem I see at Freddie Mac is their inability to effectively / correctly manage the resource allocation process for projects and engineering work in IT division. Many people who have approved allocations to projects are frequently not available. The reasons for this vary but in the end IT management feels no motivation to correct this issue and have resources under their management work where the approved allocations are. The culture is to just blame the Project Managers for this even though they have no power to change this in a loose matrix environment.
Pros
Excellent Mission and Goals, Excellent Talent
Cons
See above, although it is a criticism, I still love the place and the people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Freddie Mac. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

57%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

71%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss