Freddie Mac logo

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location.
Not your desired location?Choose a different one

Solid Place to work

IT department was a good place to work. Solid co-workers with team oriented goals and achievements. My manager was very good with work life balance.

Growth

Work life balance is amazing, programs and classes to help improve employees growth. Great benefits and onsite clinic is great. Thank you for all the experience

"Old School" Sr Management, but motivated to change, potential for long term career IF you fit the culture

Old School Senior Management, unfortunately, guarantees the same personality is hired across Directors/Managers- someone who is great at talking and schmoozing is promoted over someone who is effective and productive and where fear "motivates" employees over appreciation and support. There are many employees who were there for 10 plus years and it seemed you had two options 1) stay under the radar and don't offer feedback or recommendations or 2) be extremely outspoken and schmooze with upper management and you will get ahead.I

Pros

Excellent company name with potential for long term for the right fit

Cons

Upper Management still uses old school methods

Very Productive and Work Life Balance

I have since retired from Freddie Mac in March 2020. When I was there which I worked there for 28 years it was an absolute fantastic place to work. The most important part of the job was working with the customers to ensure that they received the information that they needed in order to complete their jobs.

Pros

Customer satisfaction and early dismissals

Cons

sometimes not enough hours in the day

Productive workplace

Your work is worthwhile. You're actively providing people with the means to own a home. Plus, Freddie Mac is great in terms of training for all staff.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Tons of flexibility but limited growth opportunities

I really loved Freddie Mac when I first joined 5 years ago. Since then we have had several leadership changes and with that the culture has changed too. Pros- Flexibility - Good benefits and pay - Decent job securityCons- Some teams don’t respect personal boundaries (emailing after hours and meetings at 8:30am, 5pm and 6 are common)- Lots of pressure placed on mid-level employees without a lot of guidance or grace for growth- As a company they haven’t figured out how to support employees in professional development- Depending on department, the work and expectations can be very stressful - Often, new initiatives are started and abandoned after a short time and very hard work

Great Place to Work!

I really enjoyed working at Freddie Mac where the people are supportive and management is always looking for ways to encourage their employees and help people succeed.

talented people and good management and lots of learning opportunities

co-workers are talented. managmenet is caring and cares about employee development and job satisfaction. lots of learning opportunities, education support. good work-life balance.

Cons

probably lower salary than some other places, and government oversight restricts pay increase and career advancement

lack of talent pool

not a company to learn best practices. Good work life balance, nice cafeteria. Contractors does most of the work but nobody thinks from scalability or architectural perspective

Pros

good work life balance

Cons

you will unlearn

Great career building opportunity

You will work with smart and engaging people, be sure to network. Good opportunity to seek out different lines of work and new lines of business that may interest you.

Pros

Commitment to employee development

Cons

None that I can recall

Jobs at Freddie Mac

See more jobs

Solid Company, Excellent Benefits

Great salary and benefits. A little political during annual review time, but fair overall. Excellent opportunity for advancement. Small company feel in a big company.

Pros

Salary, Benefits

Cons

Some leftover old fashioned corporate mentality

Collaborative work environment which respects differences

When I was there it was a company with a heart. I felt valued and felt the compensation pot was fairly divided. Good company with great benefits and interesting work.

I worked in Multifamily for 25 years and loved being a part of a small company within a large company.

Freddie Mac provides unlimited opportunities as long as you are willing to work hard! I was able to make a place for myself by developing an expertise in new products and the related cash flows. It worked for me!

Pros

Lots of opportunities

Cons

Staffing can be tight sometimes

Good Company

Benefits are very good. Challenging work but very less work life balance. 401K, vacation time, tuition riembursement are top notch. Overall it is a very good company.

Fun place to work.

A great place to work and learn! I enjoyed my time there and was able to learn a great deal regarding the secondary mortgage market. If you get the chance to work there consider it a blessing.

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

Traffic

Okay but needs work

Goof plant to work people are friendly food is good management is incompetent though and the raises suck no bonuses very little training good starter job

Good is, you have liberty to work. Bad is, frequent management change.

Management team changes quite frequently and they replace and you lose your chance of advancement. If you are nice to the new management, you survive. Otherwise, you lose your job. New management throw you out so quickly.

Pros

Parties and celebrations

Cons

Manager Revenge culture

Regardless of my organization being IT, the mission is the focus!Great attention paid to hiring diverse talent. There are numerous great benefits. No all hands is kicked off without discussing the mission.

Pros

Fitness Center, Overall Benefits galore

Cons

Desire to automate processes, lack of trust to do so

Not as represented - don't fall for the sales pitch

Clubby. Old school. In favor one day, escorted out the next. Saw many average or below employees kept for 20 years or more, doing basically the same job, when newer progressive employees who wanted to modernize would be shown the door. Managers all say that they want to improve, but recommend change and out you go. Total BS. May as well work for the federal government with a similar culture and better benefits.

Pros

Decent cafeteria on site.

Cons

Toxic environment. Period.

A great place to work, good people!

I learned a lot and it advanced me to control analysis. Everyone in my department were willing for me to achieve that goal.I would enjoy working for FreddieMac again. A great environment.

Pros

Advancement a plus

Cons

Only a 2 year contract

Like any large company - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Like any large company, things can differ greatly from one division to the next. Has some amazing and some hideous experiences there. On thing I can say for certain is that the HR business partners are not to be trusted. As an insider, I saw too many instances of valid claims from harassments to manager ineptitude swept under the rug in the name of "reputation:. If you are a lower ranked staff member you will often find yourself on the losing end. In fact, The head of HR BP's told staff who brought a valid complaint to "find another job if they were unhappy" instead of dealing with the toxic issue. Some smart folks but also some terrible hangers on make for a immature organization where it's still who you know and not what you know. Also, if you want to succeed, go to happy hours or you will find yourself on the outside looking in no matter the quality of your work.

Benefits

Cons

HR business partners, inbreed culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Freddie Mac. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Freddie Mac.
Powered byComparably