Frederick County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Subbing gets you stuck
Long Term/Resident Substitute (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 31, 2018
Don't be too reliable a substitute teacher if you wish to pursue a career in teaching. You will get pigeonholed into staying a substitute and passed over for better positions. Pay is worse than neighboring counties, and they do not offer competitive pay.
Unsatisfactory Work Environment
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT - SPECIAL EDUCATION (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 17, 2018
This is an organization with unfair and discriminatory employment practices. Human Resources are not helpful and do not value hard-working employees. There is no opportunity for advancement or salary increase. If you are an educational professional, you are better off looking into other school districts for satisfactory employment.
Pros
Cons
Low salary, no opportunity for advancement
Good benefits for a part-time employee
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 29, 2018
Benefits are good and not often offered for a part-time job. Must be able to teach students to abide by guidelines for safe transportation and maintain control. This has been difficult for some drivers but there is support from management.
Pros
You are responsible for yourself and your student's safety
Cons
Some students and parents can be uncoopertive and difficult.
Child Focused
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 26, 2018
Frederick County Schools are children focused. Teachers work so hard to provide a positive learning environment and best teaching practices for students. Administration is supportive and professional development is appropriate. Teachers collaborate and work cross grade levels to provide opportunities for growth within the school.
Pros
competitive pay, positive work environment, strong community
Cons
curriculum and data focused
Great county in which to sub.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  MDOctober 8, 2018
I love subbing in Frederick County. I've had several assignments and the schools, teachers and staff are excellent. The kids are a lot of fun and I've not had any terrible issues with behavior management. This is a great way to figure out whether or not you want to teach and what areas you are interested in teaching.
Collaborative
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 23, 2019
Good place to work. Too many supervisors that dictate how things are done with no real classroom experience. Planning times are often taken for other things that mean teachers don't have the time to prepare for their students.
Pros
collaborative
Cons
Supervisors
Greatly rewarding job that is, however, allowed to be drastically affected in a negative way by poor superintendent and administrators
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 29, 2019
Great job but the quality of administrators and directors is wildly inconsistent, and this can drastically change the atmosphere of a school. Teacher's union does not have a great deal of influence in the school system.
Typical Day of Work
Attendance Secretary/Substitute Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 13, 2018
A typical day of work at FCPS is somewhat stressful and very busy. It's exciting working with students, however, and I enjoy the interaction my position has with the student population at the schools.
Replace cabinets in nurses office
Maintenance Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MD 21702June 25, 2018
Typical construction of removing and replacing with new modern cabinets. Team of carpenters worked together to fabricate, construct and install new cabinets.
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
Poor time management by others
Great Job for moms to bring in extra income
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJune 26, 2018
Working for FCPS has its benefits. The biggest one for me was being able to bring my non school aged children with me to work, making it to where I didn't need to pay for a sitter. Another big benefit was having weekends off and all school holidays off plus summers off. The hardest part about the job was adapting to being in and around big vehicles and maintaining them. The most enjoyable part about working as a school bus driver is being with the kids. I learned who they where and what things they liked. I celebrated all sorts of things with the kids. This is a great job for parents looking to bring a little extra income and have some health benefits!
Pros
health/dental care
Cons
rising costs of benefits and no real increase in salary
productive workplace
S East St - Janitorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heather Ridge SchoolSeptember 24, 2018
Always has something to do, multiple breaks during shifts, reasonable hours, decent pay. I had a really good manager, trained me very well and helped me enjoy the work I was doing even though it wasn't always fun.
3 Year Employee
HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 23, 2018
Great place to work where the people you work with become a de facto family. Pay isn't the best in the state, or even close, but achievement is. Would easily go back if the opportunity arose.
Flexible job
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 10, 2018
It was nice to work as an interpreter for Frederick county but not enough hours. Good pay and flexible time. However, too many interpreters around and short of hours for a person who is willing to work full time.
Very rewarding job, but lacked instruction/training.
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thurmont, MDSeptember 11, 2018
I have enjoyed working at FCPS, but it has been frustrating due to the lack of communication and lack of training for my position. I am never given any information on the students I work with, which makes it hard to understand their needs.
Pros
Great hours, close to home, school schedule
Cons
Very short break, low pay, no collaboration
Hostile Environment for New Teachers
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ijamsville, MDMay 19, 2018
I completely agree with the last review. As a new teacher, I was given the worst assignment in my department and faced wildly unrealistic expectations. I spent 60-70 hours per week grading and planning, but the principal always wanted me to do more. It seemed as though she was purposely setting me up for failure.
Pros
Great kids, good benefits
Cons
Unsupportive administrators, unreasonable workload
Menu duties, scheduled jobs, management helps and guides
Substitute Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 19, 2018
Daily work is well scheduled, learning quickly and corrected, management guides and helps, staff works well together, breakdowns bad, tomorrow is great
Pros
Free lunches are available for any child that does not have money for regular menu.
Cons
It is a peanut and jelly sandwhich is not the same as meat, mashed potato, vegs, etc
Lack of value placed on teaching staff
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDSeptember 11, 2018
The system does not value it teaching staff, and grossly underpays it's professional substitute staff. Qualified teachers with graduate degrees that are hired on contract to teach entire semesters are paid as little as $14.25/hr, which is hardly a professional wage. Unlike regular teachers, long-term substitutes are not provided with paid prep days for exams or end-of-semester portfolios, yet are expected to administer them anyway.
Unrealistic Expectations, Lack of Support
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 16, 2018
I would guess one's experience at FCPS has a great deal to do with the school/position you are assigned. As a new teacher I was given a class load that I was woefully unprepared for. I was teaching all low-level classes with many students that had severe behavioral problems. I felt extremely unsupported by the administration and made to feel incompetent because I could not control my students (who would still act up even when the principal/VP were present in the room.)

Overall it was an extremely demoralizing experience. It seems like new teachers are dumped with the least desirable classes and not given a chance to develop their methods in an environment where being a teacher is the main job as opposed to disciplinarian. I wish I had started my teaching career at a different school or county where I might have had a chance.
Pros
Some great coworkers, summers off
Cons
Lack of administration support, stressful environment, lack of respect from parents/admin, unequal distribution of challenging and desirable class loads, maddeningly worthless "professional development" days
Substitute teacher
Substitue Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDSeptember 2, 2018
The pros of substitute teaching is working with children and high school students. The rate per hour is lower than the national average. I can work as many days as I want.

The cons are that I walk into a classroom that I know nothing about and I have to deal with a variety of students. I work a schedule I've never seen before. With school support, which every school has, disruptive and disrespectful students can be removed from the classroom.
Fast paced work environments
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 9, 2018
This school system in an area of rapid growth. As a result much of the budget goes toward expansion of schools and building new schools. That doesn't prevent over crowding and some buildings have very high enrollment. Otherwise the expectations are high and each building has many support resources to help teachers provide the best education for the students. School populations vary throughout the county.