Frederick County Public Schools Employee Reviews

3 Year Employee
HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 23, 2018
Great place to work where the people you work with become a de facto family. Pay isn't the best in the state, or even close, but achievement is. Would easily go back if the opportunity arose.
Great county in which to sub.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  MDOctober 8, 2018
I love subbing in Frederick County. I've had several assignments and the schools, teachers and staff are excellent. The kids are a lot of fun and I've not had any terrible issues with behavior management. This is a great way to figure out whether or not you want to teach and what areas you are interested in teaching.
productive workplace
S East St - Janitorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heather Ridge SchoolSeptember 24, 2018
Always has something to do, multiple breaks during shifts, reasonable hours, decent pay. I had a really good manager, trained me very well and helped me enjoy the work I was doing even though it wasn't always fun.
Very rewarding job, but lacked instruction/training.
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thurmont, MDSeptember 11, 2018
I have enjoyed working at FCPS, but it has been frustrating due to the lack of communication and lack of training for my position. I am never given any information on the students I work with, which makes it hard to understand their needs.
Pros
Great hours, close to home, school schedule
Cons
Very short break, low pay, no collaboration
Lack of value placed on teaching staff
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDSeptember 11, 2018
The system does not value it teaching staff, and grossly underpays it's professional substitute staff. Qualified teachers with graduate degrees that are hired on contract to teach entire semesters are paid as little as $14.25/hr, which is hardly a professional wage. Unlike regular teachers, long-term substitutes are not provided with paid prep days for exams or end-of-semester portfolios, yet are expected to administer them anyway.
Substitute teacher
Substitue Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDSeptember 2, 2018
The pros of substitute teaching is working with children and high school students. The rate per hour is lower than the national average. I can work as many days as I want.

The cons are that I walk into a classroom that I know nothing about and I have to deal with a variety of students. I work a schedule I've never seen before. With school support, which every school has, disruptive and disrespectful students can be removed from the classroom.
Good benefits for a part-time employee
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 29, 2018
Benefits are good and not often offered for a part-time job. Must be able to teach students to abide by guidelines for safe transportation and maintain control. This has been difficult for some drivers but there is support from management.
Pros
You are responsible for yourself and your student's safety
Cons
Some students and parents can be uncoopertive and difficult.
Flexible job
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 10, 2018
It was nice to work as an interpreter for Frederick county but not enough hours. Good pay and flexible time. However, too many interpreters around and short of hours for a person who is willing to work full time.
Fast paced work environments
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 9, 2018
This school system in an area of rapid growth. As a result much of the budget goes toward expansion of schools and building new schools. That doesn't prevent over crowding and some buildings have very high enrollment. Otherwise the expectations are high and each building has many support resources to help teachers provide the best education for the students. School populations vary throughout the county.
Great for parent with kids
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Thurmont, MDAugust 8, 2018
This is a good part time job for a parent. You are there to pt our kids on the bus and home to get them off. The school system has great benefit's for full time employee's but not for part time employee's
Pros
hours
Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 4, 2018
I enjoy the flexibility and the ability to be near my kids. The pay is terrible, however, I do love the teachers and administrative staff. Additionally, the children are wonderful.
A place to keep your license active until you can get a job in Montgomery County.
High School Chemistry Teacher (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 2, 2018
Curriculum is written by a select few of the preferiti, whose actual depth of knowledge in their content areas seem(ed) to be largely irrelevant. Guidance will happily load up your classes with students that either barely passed the prerequisites - or in some cases - failed them. Admin will blame you if kids that failed your course's pre-reqs are somehow now getting A's in your honors level course. You will hardly ever get to interact with the students that worked to earn placement in your honors course because all of your time will be squandered trying desperately to get the knuckleheads who should have never been put in your honors class to put down their smartphones and actually care. There is a reason why there are two types of teacher in FCPS schools: those that have tenure and are a few years from retirement, and those fresh out of school themselves that burn out after only a couple of years teaching.
Pros
The weather in Thurmont will give you many undeserved days off
Cons
Admin in the schools is hit or miss, and will *never* have your back when push comes to shove
good school system,
substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, COJuly 25, 2018
I am pleased to be part of Frederick CountyPublic Schools organization.I am a substitute teacher and my schedule is very flexible.I get paid when I work and when I choose not to work I just stay home.I am retired and I do not want to subject my self to too much stress.
Collaborative learning environment
Middle school life science teacher (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 20, 2018
The Frederick County (VA) middle school in which I worked was a student-centered learning environment. Student success in learning and growth, regardless of content taught, was the primary focus from the principal to the classroom teacher.Decisions were, primarily, data-driven.Teachers collaborated in grade level teams as well as in professional learning with other grade level instructors to improve the learning environment in the classroom. In the school I worked the leadership treated teachers as professionals in the classroom. Evaluations were performed on a regular basis and were informative and fair.
Pros
Professional environment
Cons
Student behavior and discipline
Good place to gain teaching experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 27, 2018
As a part of the Education Program at my college, it is required to have a total for 40 hours working in a local school. This experience has given me much needed time with rea students and has prepared me for future situations as a teacher.
Great Job for moms to bring in extra income
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJune 26, 2018
Working for FCPS has its benefits. The biggest one for me was being able to bring my non school aged children with me to work, making it to where I didn't need to pay for a sitter. Another big benefit was having weekends off and all school holidays off plus summers off. The hardest part about the job was adapting to being in and around big vehicles and maintaining them. The most enjoyable part about working as a school bus driver is being with the kids. I learned who they where and what things they liked. I celebrated all sorts of things with the kids. This is a great job for parents looking to bring a little extra income and have some health benefits!
Pros
health/dental care
Cons
rising costs of benefits and no real increase in salary
Replace cabinets in nurses office
Maintenance Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MD 21702June 25, 2018
Typical construction of removing and replacing with new modern cabinets. Team of carpenters worked together to fabricate, construct and install new cabinets.
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
Poor time management by others
Stressful with minimum overview before working
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 21, 2018
This was kind of a perfect storm situation. The school I worked at was having administrative difficulties and I walked into that. It was an extremely challenging assignment requiring me to teach K-8th grades with literally no lunch break and minimal preparation times.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 5, 2018
I have learned quite a lot about working with individual students in Frederick County Public Schools including how important it is to differentiate instruction for students.
Good hours, poor pay, poor administration
TEACHER INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 3, 2018
Curriculum demands keep getting higher yet FCPS keeps cutting teaching and support staff positions. This of course creates an environment with: high stress, low moral and students suffer quality education.