Frederick County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Flexible job
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 10, 2018
It was nice to work as an interpreter for Frederick county but not enough hours. Good pay and flexible time. However, too many interpreters around and short of hours for a person who is willing to work full time.
Fast paced work environments
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 9, 2018
This school system in an area of rapid growth. As a result much of the budget goes toward expansion of schools and building new schools. That doesn't prevent over crowding and some buildings have very high enrollment. Otherwise the expectations are high and each building has many support resources to help teachers provide the best education for the students. School populations vary throughout the county.
Great for parent with kids
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Thurmont, MDAugust 8, 2018
This is a good part time job for a parent. You are there to pt our kids on the bus and home to get them off. The school system has great benefit's for full time employee's but not for part time employee's
Pros
hours
Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 4, 2018
I enjoy the flexibility and the ability to be near my kids. The pay is terrible, however, I do love the teachers and administrative staff. Additionally, the children are wonderful.
A place to keep your license active until you can get a job in Montgomery County.
High School Chemistry Teacher (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 2, 2018
Curriculum is written by a select few of the preferiti, whose actual depth of knowledge in their content areas seem(ed) to be largely irrelevant. Guidance will happily load up your classes with students that either barely passed the prerequisites - or in some cases - failed them. Admin will blame you if kids that failed your course's pre-reqs are somehow now getting A's in your honors level course. You will hardly ever get to interact with the students that worked to earn placement in your honors course because all of your time will be squandered trying desperately to get the knuckleheads who should have never been put in your honors class to put down their smartphones and actually care. There is a reason why there are two types of teacher in FCPS schools: those that have tenure and are a few years from retirement, and those fresh out of school themselves that burn out after only a couple of years teaching.
Pros
The weather in Thurmont will give you many undeserved days off
Cons
Admin in the schools is hit or miss, and will *never* have your back when push comes to shove
good school system,
substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, COJuly 25, 2018
I am pleased to be part of Frederick CountyPublic Schools organization.I am a substitute teacher and my schedule is very flexible.I get paid when I work and when I choose not to work I just stay home.I am retired and I do not want to subject my self to too much stress.
Collaborative learning environment
Middle school life science teacher (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 20, 2018
The Frederick County (VA) middle school in which I worked was a student-centered learning environment. Student success in learning and growth, regardless of content taught, was the primary focus from the principal to the classroom teacher.Decisions were, primarily, data-driven.Teachers collaborated in grade level teams as well as in professional learning with other grade level instructors to improve the learning environment in the classroom. In the school I worked the leadership treated teachers as professionals in the classroom. Evaluations were performed on a regular basis and were informative and fair.
Pros
Professional environment
Cons
Student behavior and discipline
Good place to gain teaching experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 27, 2018
As a part of the Education Program at my college, it is required to have a total for 40 hours working in a local school. This experience has given me much needed time with rea students and has prepared me for future situations as a teacher.
Great Job for moms to bring in extra income
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJune 26, 2018
Working for FCPS has its benefits. The biggest one for me was being able to bring my non school aged children with me to work, making it to where I didn't need to pay for a sitter. Another big benefit was having weekends off and all school holidays off plus summers off. The hardest part about the job was adapting to being in and around big vehicles and maintaining them. The most enjoyable part about working as a school bus driver is being with the kids. I learned who they where and what things they liked. I celebrated all sorts of things with the kids. This is a great job for parents looking to bring a little extra income and have some health benefits!
Pros
health/dental care
Cons
rising costs of benefits and no real increase in salary
Replace cabinets in nurses office
Maintenance Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MD 21702June 25, 2018
Typical construction of removing and replacing with new modern cabinets. Team of carpenters worked together to fabricate, construct and install new cabinets.
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
Poor time management by others
Stressful with minimum overview before working
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 21, 2018
This was kind of a perfect storm situation. The school I worked at was having administrative difficulties and I walked into that. It was an extremely challenging assignment requiring me to teach K-8th grades with literally no lunch break and minimal preparation times.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 5, 2018
I have learned quite a lot about working with individual students in Frederick County Public Schools including how important it is to differentiate instruction for students.
Good hours, poor pay, poor administration
TEACHER INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 3, 2018
Curriculum demands keep getting higher yet FCPS keeps cutting teaching and support staff positions. This of course creates an environment with: high stress, low moral and students suffer quality education.
Great for subbing
Substitue Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 30, 2018
If you want to be a substitute this is the perfect county. They pay average to the neighboring counties. I have never had an issue with finding jobs. The software they use is easy to use.
Hostile Environment for New Teachers
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ijamsville, MDMay 19, 2018
I completely agree with the last review. As a new teacher, I was given the worst assignment in my department and faced wildly unrealistic expectations. I spent 60-70 hours per week grading and planning, but the principal always wanted me to do more. It seemed as though she was purposely setting me up for failure.
Pros
Great kids, good benefits
Cons
Unsupportive administrators, unreasonable workload
Menu duties, scheduled jobs, management helps and guides
Substitute Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 19, 2018
Daily work is well scheduled, learning quickly and corrected, management guides and helps, staff works well together, breakdowns bad, tomorrow is great
Pros
Free lunches are available for any child that does not have money for regular menu.
Cons
It is a peanut and jelly sandwhich is not the same as meat, mashed potato, vegs, etc
Unrealistic Expectations, Lack of Support
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 16, 2018
I would guess one's experience at FCPS has a great deal to do with the school/position you are assigned. As a new teacher I was given a class load that I was woefully unprepared for. I was teaching all low-level classes with many students that had severe behavioral problems. I felt extremely unsupported by the administration and made to feel incompetent because I could not control my students (who would still act up even when the principal/VP were present in the room.)

Overall it was an extremely demoralizing experience. It seems like new teachers are dumped with the least desirable classes and not given a chance to develop their methods in an environment where being a teacher is the main job as opposed to disciplinarian. I wish I had started my teaching career at a different school or county where I might have had a chance.
Pros
Some great coworkers, summers off
Cons
Lack of administration support, stressful environment, lack of respect from parents/admin, unequal distribution of challenging and desirable class loads, maddeningly worthless "professional development" days
Fine place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MD 21701May 14, 2018
Frederick County Public Schools is a fine place to work that provides an adequate work environment for its employees. The work is as expected with this current job field.
Benefit package is good
School Nutrition Manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester,VirginiaMay 11, 2018
A typical day is very busy with getting meals prepared in the time allowed..You must be able to multitask and to think about 2 things at the same time.When I was first hired (28 years)ago it was an enjoyable place to work. Not so much lately.The hardest part of the job was not having enough time to get everything that was needed to be done completed. The students and some other staff members made the day better by things they said or did.
Excellent county to work in once you find the school for you
STUDENT TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 11, 2018
I was able to student teach in a variety of school environments. The placement of a school (rural, urban, suburban) did not have as much impact on the quality of my experience as did the environment created by the staff. Some school staffs are focused on their class or grade and simply getting the job done. Others are more collaborative and inviting. The county as a whole is wonderful and has many different opportunities, but you really need to take the time to fond the right school for you.