Free People Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work with high energy
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 10, 2019
Always something new to experience when going into work. You get to work in a beautiful store with beautiful product and provide amazing customer service.
fun place to work
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 28, 2019
It's a nice part time job to have. The perks are really awesome with the discount and fun sample sales. Everyone has a love for fashion that works there, so it's very fun going into work each weekend.
Trendy place to work part-time
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2019
Great place to work while in school or for leisure. Pay is dismal and unless you are part of management, hours are barely existent. Great company discount and laid-back vibe
Pros
Discount, work atmosphere
Cons
Little to no room for advancement
Stylist -- amazing position
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 22, 2019
Depending on the store, of course, FP is an amazing place to work. I was so lucky to join a team of bright, funny, forward-thinking women who empowered me every day and created a fantastic work culture. It was just a part time job, but I looked forward to every shift. FP is founded on amazing values and you see that in the store every day. Retail doesnt feel like retail at FP.
Pros
empowering energy, promote from within, part time
Fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 12, 2019
This was a great company to work for with great customers that shop there. Fun and friendly environment where skills were able to be developed as well as learning new skills.
The excitement wears off
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2019
I transferred to a much larger store after working in a boutique-size store for a year and a half. I had more experience than the girls who were working as senior stylists, and I was clearly a valued team member, but it took 5 months for them to give me a promotion, and within 2 weeks, the minimum wage in NYC went up, so I've been making a dollar more than I would have been if I weren't in a senior position.

After holiday, we had a lot less payroll, so the schedule was very thin and we'd work only 4 hour shifts. It became obvious that the stylists were only there so managers could go on break, and I began to feel a little exploited.

I loved the people I worked with at the beginning, but almost all of those managers have left the company. I have no ill will against the company, but I am feeling a little burnt out after 3 or so years. Free People is very focused on money as a large corporation, and it's hard to escape that fact after working there for a while.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Thin schedule
Its a fun working environment
Senior Stylist (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIFebruary 15, 2019
It's a fun working environment . It creates a place to gain friendship and express yourself through clothing. I enjoy the people I work with. Just wish our location was in Milwaukee
Retail atmosphere/ Stressful
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Corte Madera, CAFebruary 3, 2019
If you are have worked in retail before then you know what to expect; long hours, no paid holidays, and relatively low pay.

Young/fun environment with majority of part time students that are just starting out.

Highly competitive at corporate level
Pros
Discount
Cons
long hours, open on holidays, no set schedule
Gran Experiencia Laboral
Video Editor (Freelance) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2018
El trabajar de esta forma me enseñó a adaptarme a los ámbitos de las diferentes personas, y a entender como ir ofreciéndoles un mejor servicio, ya que pude conocer muchos clientes y trabaja de hacer mi mejor esfuerzo en cada proyecto que realizaba para que el cliente quedara conforme y satisfecho..
Pros
Mucha Libertad con las horas de trabajos
Cons
Gran cantidad de trabajos simultaneos
Good first retail job
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MANovember 16, 2018
stores are small so retail positions at FP boutiques are usually pretty chill besides snobby customers. Great, laid back intro to retail sales, pay could be higher but depending on the store you work at there are some really great management teams
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, PANovember 13, 2018
Did this job while I was in college and it was great to get your foot in the door with the corporation. Daily day consisted of cleaning the store, organizing the store, making sales, and checking customers out.
Pros
discount
Cons
working weekends
love love love
Stylist (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYOctober 7, 2018
I love working here at free people. Its not a job its a home with your new family. I feel like this every time I go to work. We're a team and we never fall because of that.
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 1, 2018
Loved working here. Everyday after clocking in you are given a run down of how the store has done so far that day. You are always kept in the loop. Great job
Pros
Discount, opportunities to win gift cards
Fun and Encouraging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 24, 2018
I found that working at Free People was an excellent way to practice skills: communication, conflict resolution, enhancing customer experience, working towards goals. Just like any job there were some rough patches, but they were always handled well by management and changes were made accordingly. Highly suggest working at Free People if you are passionate about people, fashion, health, design, and customer service.
Great Discounts
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 24, 2018
Having worked in a few different stores, it's hit or miss with the environment. The work environment can be cliquey and some managers if you don't act like youre in a sorority they won't be your 'friend'. There are definitely favorites that are played and lack of communication in larger stores.
Beautiful store with beautiful clothing!
STYLIST (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2018
I am super happy with the company. Love the clothes and benefits. Super unique employees that are always willing to help customers look, and feel their best!
Pros
Discount
Cons
No HR
Good Customer Service Job
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2018
This was a good company to work for in the retail world. Nice team and friendly coworkers. Generally everyone was helpful and it was a fun store to work in.
Free People
associate/sales (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, NJAugust 22, 2018
breath of fresh air for me. I had just left a bad work situation and this environment was totally different. It was friendly, open environment, customers came first and i felt like family being there. I wish that their were more hours to go around and the pay were better so i could not only sustain a living but afford to shop there as well. I had a great time and look back at my experience there fondly.
Pros
generous discount, wonderful environment, friendly staff
Cons
not enough hours to sustain any sort of living
Sales Assosciate
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 6, 2018
Retail job where you work about 20 hours a week. There is not much room for advancement, but it is a good job for those who need part time work only at the time.
overall good
Visual Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 1, 2018
The URBN company is great to work for. They give you a great discount which is nice and they do really care about employees as a whole. Each store varies with employee appreciation within the store though.