Freebirds World Burrito Employee Reviews

Fun, lighthearted environment with enjoyable people to work with.
roller (Former Employee) –  enclaveJanuary 1, 2019
Working here was a jam. The people i worked with, both in front of and behind the counter, were interesting and a pleasure to be around. The work got hard at times but was made manageable by the experiences I had at this location.
Pros
discount lunch, close proximity to other places to eat on break
Cons
getting a raise becomes nearly impossible after a certain point
Enjoyable work environment
MANAGER/ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER, FREEBIRDS (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 15, 2018
A typical work day for me is productive, starting with prepping for the day, working in a team environment and ending with cleaning and reconciling cash drawer all safely. Daily I learn management skills in dealing with diversity, managing others and improving customer service skills. My management team has enabled me to learn my role as a manager as I manage others. The hardest part of the job is being understaffed and busy at the same time, where the most enjoyable part is everyone acts like a family and gets along really well.
Pros
Free food for managers, great employees/friends, learning about the customers and giving them an exciting experience.
Cons
Benefits aren't to good, understaffed, very busy a different time periods of the year.
Cool in the beginning...
Back of House Cook (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Definitely a fun work environment but as I worked there longer, I noticed how management didn't prioritize promotions, recruiting, training, etc. Favoritism was evident. Cooperation was non-existent.

Still, I enjoyed my time there. FOH was easy line work; clean and stock. BOH was a bit stressful, but it was more task oriented and educational about teamwork, communication, and cleanliness. Learning recipes was cool.
Pros
cool people and music and food
Cons
no meal discounts
Great to learn
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 7, 2018
This is a great company to grow in if you don't have prior culinary or management experiences. There is a lot of opportunity, but you really have to commit to make it happen. It is a demanding job but fun most of the time. The biggest problems are the lack of clear direction, poor dissemination of information, inconsistency in training, and poor management structuring. It often felt chaotic and stressful. While there is opportunity for advancement, training is somewhat lacking. Great music and guests, and amazing food.
Pros
growth opportunity, fun, no dress code
Cons
breaks often missed, no clear direction
Not Great. Pretty Stressful
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 2, 2018
The New GM is not up to par, nice and all, but doesn't get the workload and a little on the lazier side. The rest of the Shift Managers and the AGM are great people who do their job correctly and help the workers out as much as possible.
Pros
Discounted food, dyed hair and tattoos allowed
Cons
Lost hours during school, Gm sucks, Raises are hard to get even if you've been working there a long time.
Started Great but Rapidly Deteriorating
General Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 7, 2019
Worked as a GM for this company for a few years and while it started off amazing, it rapidly faded. Certain metrics are incredibly unrealistic and upper management is completely out of touch with daily operations on the front lines. I see the restaurant industry as a whole going this way everywhere though. Do more with less but don’t sacrifice service or cleanliness. I would have 5 people on shift and hit labor goals but not a sales/labor hour metric so was told to take another person off the shift. All the while, if you’re down in comp sales, you better have someone out marketing but make sure it’s within your labor budget. The restaurant manages you here, not the other way around.

Freebirds used to have fresh food made in house but slowly they are phasing more and more of the in house prep out and buying premade items. I understand this will save on cost but you shouldn’t continue to promote yourself as a fresh made in house restaurant when several items are not. I won’t even go into the “grass fed beef” and “all natural chicken”.

In the beginning feedback was encouraged from the bottom up so it felt as if you had a voice. As time went on, feedback was criticized as being challenging and difficult by middle management. You did have quarterly conference calls with the CEO which did show a little progress but when your middle management doesn’t have the same values you end up spinning your wheels. Suggestions were praised but never enacted. Even when fraud was discovered during a gift card contest, it was swept under the rug because “we’re selling gift cards so just leave
  more... it alone”.

It’s hard to be objective about the corporate office but I will try. IT was amazing. Pretty much got whatever was needed when it was needed or without long delays. Catering Department baffled me sometimes. I feel like several of them have never worked in a restaurant much less managed one. There is definite disconnect between catering and the restaurants at times. Such as how they request that ALL catering go through them. I was told by my manager that it’s because it helps their numbers and bonuses. Unfortunately if I have a hot lead on the phone, it would not be beneficial to refer them to call someone 3 hours away then to have them email me the order 30 minutes later. This process was very frustrating at times. Marketing think tanks in the corporate office was extremely supportive but in the field was a joke. There was one marketing rep for the entire Houston market and I believe he had other regions as well so there wasn’t a lot of support coming from there. Marketing heavily fell on individual restaurants but it was tricky because you had to fit it within your labor. I didn’t deal with HR much so I can’t speak to them however I expected an exit interview when I left to share these concerns of why I left. Never received one. I was told it was because I left without notice however if someone is so upset that they left without notice, don’t you think that’s someone you would really want to understand the circumstances of their exit to prevent it?

Benefits are there but also kind of a joke. They tout a $20/month plan however you’re deductible is so high there’s no point in even having it. I know this is not necessarily their fault but it was pushed on our hourlies as such a great deal. I know they have 401k but don’t think they matched. 10 days vacation but you better use it because they won’t pay it out when you leave. They changed that while I was there and kept it quiet. In my opinion, they should have grandfathered the people who signed their handbook prior to the change. Bonus program was based on comp sales so if you had a stellar year, good luck the next year. Also this really ticked me off. Before Harvey, my restaurant was one of the top performing. We shut down for several days when Harvey hit so I ended up losing several thousand in bonus money for that quarter. I thought “well that sucks but at least I’ll make it up next year’. Nope! The corporate office decided to adjust what sales we’d go up against because “it wouldn’t be fair to go up against zero when you were closed”. Well you didn’t adjust it the year Harvey hit so why adjust it then. To save money on their bottom line. Simple as that. It would be fair to adjust both. Not just the year that made you money.

Lastly, advancement opportunities are few and far between. The same middle management has been in place for several years in our market with very little change and it was evident when you visit the different restaurants. Things go unresolved for years in certain regions because the same people are in place. Upper management usually announces their tours so it’s easy for the problem restaurants to fake a good visit. The middle management with a few restaurants encourage that behavior.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with Freebirds for a while but it is rapidly fading. I really enjoyed the friends and colleagues I had while working there. However, the demanding environment to run a restaurant with ridiculous metrics and low wages compared to competitors has created high turnover, resentment and even tolerated theft to achieve goals. I hope that Mr. Eagle takes a closer look at what is really happening on the front lines. Not just what his regionals and DO’s are telling him. Truly listen to the operators of these places. Encourage them to speak freely without fear of retaliation and open dialogue to better the outlook. I wish Freebirds the best however I caution those interested.
Pros
Great team depending where you are, decent tasting food, GM’s typically work open shifts only
Cons
Culture, feedback is not welcomed, poor benefits
Friendly and fun environment with amazing personalities!
SHIFT LEADER (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 11, 2018
A typical day at work consist of AM manager meeting with the PM manager to discuss how the day went and the goals they should accomplish for the night. I learned that communication is absolutely the key to success, forecasting is a huge part of everyday because you always want to be in control of what products you have and the amount you have to work with. The management team gathers together and pushes for bettering the company and acknowledging the employees, to grow as a team. The hardest part of the job would be making sure everyone is going to put their all into each and every day and if someone is not 100% there that day, that someone will step up and put 110% to make sure we meet our daily goals.
The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely being able to bond with your co-workers and watching each other grow as a whole.
Pros
Building bonds with co-workers
Cons
AC doesn't work when it's hot outside.
Productive and relaxed workplace
Catering Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 30, 2018
The Freebirds headquarters office is a relaxed setting. The environment can be stressful depending on work load. Great benefits and ability to work from home if needed.
Pros
free lunches, free coffee and free beverages
Cons
lack of work and life balance
Good Part Time
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 25, 2019
Wonderful for a student, or a great laid back job for someone willing to work up to management. It's a simple food job with low stress. Can get busy sometimes but it's not that bad.
Pros
Food discounts.
Cons
short breaks
Fast paced and fun environment, guest focused.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 15, 2018
The environment at Freebirds is like nothing I've experienced before, it is usually a fun and light-hearted environment where you work hard and get the job done right. A nice focus that Freebirds has is definitely on the guests which really does show how much they care about their communities!
Pros
Half off a meal for the day, free drinks
Un-Tapped potential
GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 18, 2018
Could be much more successful if upper level management took a step back and listened to its guests and operators. Days can range from 8 hours to over 15 depending on workload.
Pros
Fun Environment for Hourlies
Cons
Lack of transparency and ability to progress career at salary level
A decent place to find your first job, but not a place to stay at
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 22, 2018
When i first starting working at free-birds I was 18,fresh out of high school, and looking for an entry level job. free-birds provided that along with many fond memories and lifelong friends, but as the years went on and having four different managers be hired/fired over the course of a year my enjoyment for the job diminished.
If your trying to find a job where you can work enough hours and make enough money to pay rent i would suggest looking else where
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Poor Hours
Unenjoyable and very stressful and demanding.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mission, TXJune 18, 2018
Typical day at work, will consist of me doing many things all at once or else the managers will get mad. I will have to clean the tables, answer the phone, clean the bathrooms, restock the two teas and soda machines, sweep the floor, refill the cups of the customers, throw the trash, wash the trays and make sure they are dried and cleaned in the area to serve them. I will have to do all this within a time from of five to eight hours with breaks at times, this was tiring and exhausting to do all for one person especially in the lunch hour. The workplace culture was very laid back and relaxed, with one manager being very mean and aggressive to everyone. And the enjoyable part was making friends, and having a discount on a burrito.
Worked at 3 locations, each time company went through changes
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 12, 2018
This company has been around for a while. Upon my first time working for the company, the focus was about the image and ensuring guest happiness. Along the way, the shift went to more of a corporation driven structure; taking pictures of tasks and sending them in at certain times, becoming extremely particular about portions, changing recipes, and lowering wages to save the company money. I will say though, the teamwork at the last location I worked for was incredible, and Freebirds does not turn people away who need jobs regardless of their past as long as they seem like hard working people. The people I worked with at every location have been truly awesome!
Pros
50% food discount (sometimes free)
Cons
Short breaks, Low wages
freebirds life
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJune 28, 2018
constant seriving people

food service skills

horrible management

workplace culture was great

hardest part was dealing with management

the people were the best part
fun,fast paced, well taken care of
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 22, 2018
Would open the store at 8:00 sharp.
Start all long cooking items.
Do all counts, temperatures, and produce.
Prep all items for night shift.
Do midday counts.
Detail clean entire kitchen
Do any dishes left from morning to middays
Do all hot food prep as well as help cold food prep with anything they need.
Help line employees with running customers through at our busiest times (11-1PM)

Learned a wealth of knowledge into Tex-Mex cooking
how to saute, bake, grill etc
line-work and detail cleaning
Management Skills/Training Procedures.

Management was friendly and we all worked together to build a stronger team.

Cooking the Spanish and Cilantro lime rice due to fragile toasting times.

Working hard alongside co-workers you care and strive to help better themselves and other employees.
GM makes job stressful and show strong favoritism
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2018
If you want poor hours, be stress out, poor pay, treated unfairly then this is the place for you. If you want to stay late nights doing extra scrubbing and cleaning for an inspection for the next day then the inspection doesn't happen.
Pros
50% off
Cons
Poor management, dirty work place, poor hours, get sent home early if slow, get ask to do stuff while clock out
If you just need a job
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 21, 2018
Terrible communication from higher ups to lower level management. Inconsistent upholdings of standards. Draining work environment. Good concept.. poor follow through
Fast Paced with Terrible management.
SHIFT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXSeptember 27, 2018
Working at this location ive noticed the morale plummit due to the fact that management is narcissistic and completely uncaring to anything shift leaders have to say.
Super fun place to work!
Front House (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAAugust 8, 2018
Freebirds was by far the most fun job I have ever had! Learned a lot about the working world here and what is expected from being an employee as this was my first job.
Pros
Discounted food, Helpful staff and management
Cons
Low pay, Schedules remade every week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Freebirds World Burrito. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight