Freedom Boat Club Employee Reviews

Awesome Club; Terrible Sales Job
Membership Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Englewood, FLJanuary 17, 2019
I was hired by the Sales Manager for my area in Florida. The interview was demanding, hard questions that were scenario based and geared toward overcoming objections. He verified my references and claimed that it was a $70,000 job (minimum). After drilling me and my background, he wanted to hire me. I should have known better as there was no written offer, training pay, or proof of previous success by the former Sales Rep.

Typical Workday started at 8:30 or earlier to make phone calls, tons of calls that the CRM requires you to make. Many of these calls are badgering to brand new members of the club for referrals. Way too soon to bite the hand that fed you just last month.

During the week, a customer may walk into the club or you might be able to set an appointment with a new internet lead. You may average about 4 person-to-person pitches and would be fortunate to close 1 of those. End of the day for me was around 6 PM only because I packed up my computer and just left. The manager was a workhorse, but he was paid very well with override, so he was all-in and stayed late. I tried to get excited about the job the rejections and intense scrutiny was a bit much.

The manager's style was to initially micro-manage. I explained that I could not sell memberships under oversight that hovers on my every word. This manager critiqued every call I made, every voice mail I left, and every word during my pitch to prospects. I began to fear his critique after a few days. I worked 11 straight days without a day off and without a day off in the foreseeable future.

Salary is commission
  more... only, no training pay, no travel pay, no fuel pay, and yet Membership Sales Reps are expected to travel to meetings, BNI, Chamber Events, Trade Shows, and weekend events all over the area. It's a good club, but it's a tough sell in the wake of Red Tide, higher entry fees than every other club, and the leads were shoddy and had a ton of tire-kickers. Don't come into this job unless you can afford to struggle for a few months as there is NO ramp-up or base salary. Other Sales Reps that have been there for a few years have watched a 40% drop in new enrollments. Something is in the water, and it's not FBC boaters. A thriving economy has enriched boat buyers and reduced boat memberships from increasing.

Listen, it's a great club, nice facilities, and a great business model for the manager and a sales rep with multiple locations, but I was at a hidden marina in old Florida, off the beaten path. If you are at a club in a popular marina that is easily found and in a populated community, you are way better off. For example, the Tampa and Naples market have dropped, but the Sales Reps there are still doing pretty well because of the dense population.

The short version is that if you can go a few months with very few sales and don't mind ramping up slowly (much like a realtor), this may be a good fit. In my case, the manager tricked me into believing I would get 2 or 3 sales within the first 2 weeks. Zero was the accurate number after I prospected for free. This job cost me another good opportunity by trusting their system.

Good luck to you.
Pros
Golf Shirts and Shorts as a Uniform
Cons
Sales are Dropping and Commissions are Low
best job ever
Dock Master (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLJanuary 9, 2019
if water and boating is your thing then freedom boat is the way to go you get to work outside fun awesome very enjoyable environment plus you get cash tips and get to see chicks in bikinis all day
Is this the career you want
Membership executive (Former Employee) –  Jordan lake ncDecember 16, 2018
day 6 of employment written contract they terminated my employment no cause paid minimum wage not per diem as stated in my contract or text emails. after making you set up their events and schedule for the year only to give that to the next person that falls for this dream.

There is no future as they will hire you, provide unproof read documents, paid onsite training which all expenses normally are paid unless your plane gets hit by lightning twice and you get stuck in Sarasota fl airport and grounded and have to pay 400 for a hotel and 200 for taxis to get you home.
Pros
They will fly you there for training
Cons
They cut corners, provide poor documents and will take advantage of job seekers, unrealistic expectations. They will wine and dine you. They will pay, minimum wage, over promise under deliver
Don't waste your time nobody will ever actually make contact with you.
Applicant (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 16, 2018
Just my opinion. This company has a huge communication problem. People seem to be too busy to call you on the telephone or call you back. There never is a straight answer and someone is always passing the buck. I can only speak from my experience in Englewood Florida and dealing with top administrators. Imagine if this company treats applicants this way, what do you think their customer service is like when you need a boat. Just my opinion of what I have been through. Nightmare. Go elsewhere.
sunny
Front Desk Customer Service, & Boat Jockey (Former Employee) –  Palmetto, FLAugust 2, 2018
It is a job the attracts a lot of sunlight so bring sun screen, it has good perks like becoming a member for a low cost and having access to the boats also you work on the water with boats beautiful environments but the pay isn't the greatest
Stressful and long days
Dock Hand (Current Employee) –  Little River, SCJune 24, 2018
You work long hot days and do not have much of a break. Expected to do a lot and be able to work almost 12 hours in the sun. Can be frustrating and unneeded stress sometimes.
It was a friendly but not very awarding job
N McClurg Ct - Dock Hand (Current Employee) –  DeckhandJune 20, 2018
It was a friendly but not very warding yeah it was not worth the time and effort was not paid enough that people were friendly and nice and I would not consider working there again
great members to work for
Dock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 1, 2018
the overall experience was great. not enough attention to maintain. you are on your own on problem solving. can be stressful when boats are over booked .
Freedom Boat Club - Marine Max, Venice
Dockmaster (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLMarch 28, 2018
I enjoyed working with Freedom Boat Club in Venice because of the satisfaction and compliments I received from the members on a daily basis. It was nice to hear that the members were inquiring about me on my days off. I also enjoyed the positive feedback from the members about my service.
Pros
Atmosphere, positive feedback from members
Cons
low hours some weeks
Great work atmosphere
Dock Master (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 20, 2018
Freedom boat club is a relaxed work atmosphere and i looked forward to working there every day. The growth and appreciation i received is great. It enabled me how to deal with customers and how to enjoy the job i have.
Pros
Paid lunch break, great management
great place
Dock Manager (Former Employee) –  BostonMarch 12, 2018
awesome place to work, best 3 years! The management is great and members are a joy to work with. Good compensation and flexible with hours and vacation.
Great atmosphere and well maintained
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLFebruary 13, 2018
Loved the job from beginning to end. Overall was a great experience for me, the clients are very welcoming and as well as the company. Job is fitted for students or retirees, there is minimal room for advancement as well as no benefits.
Pros
positive atmosphere, on the water
Cons
no benefits, minimal room for advancment
Seasonal work very long days in summer. Great place to be if you love being on the water. Docking and fueling various types of boats. Some minor repai
Dock Master (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MASeptember 14, 2017
Seasonal work, very long days in the summer. Great place to be if you love the water.Docking and fueling various types of boats. some minor repair work, lots of boat cleaning.
Pros
outdoor work in the summer, very good work enviroment.
Cons
long days, where start and end of day were busy, middle quite.
relaxed
deck hand (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLSeptember 5, 2017
we had loads of fun working here. the staff is fun and outgoing and the job itself is outgoing and fun. i would recommend this job to anyone that loves fishing and having a good time.
Great environment to work in
Dock Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLAugust 19, 2017
If you enjoy working outdoors, being around boats and the water this is the perfect job. They have a great facility and many convenient locations throughout the U.S.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
long days in the sun
Poor business practices
Marine Service Technicion (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAJuly 19, 2017
Nothing good to say so I'm not saying.
I can't make the minimum characters because Not having anything good to say is just that.
There is no reason to air dirty laundry here.
Pros
Cons
everything
Love this place
Social Media Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLJuly 3, 2017
Great company to work for! Love the people and got to travel. I love boats! I learned a lot from this company and I'd love to go back to this company if I could.
Pros
Lunches, Learning, Boats
marine mechanic
Marine Technician (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 6, 2017
great place to work for someone looking for part time work to gain experiance. compensation is not that great but hey you get to be paid to drive boats all day so who am i to complain.
Great people to work with and great benefits
Water Sport Captain (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMarch 21, 2017
Highly recommended to anyone who would like to work on the water. Must enjoy talking with people and being out in the sun. Smooth operation and welcoming employees.
Great company depending on the which franchise you work for.
Membership Executive (Current Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLAugust 11, 2016
I rarely came to work with less than a big smile on my face. Working in this industry near to my heart was both challenging and rewarding.
Pros
Ability to manage your own time
Cons
Lack of commitment towards corporate mission at franchise level

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Freedom Boat Club. Our community is ready to answer.