Freedom House Employee Reviews

Inviting atmosphere
Evening Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 3, 2019
This workplace is a family like atmosphere with a lot of love and respect. There is a lot of stress that comes with the job but it is still an amazing place to work at.
Welcoming environment
Internship / CIT (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARFebruary 21, 2019
I feel the Freedom House staff care for the clients. Most of the staff appeared to have good repor with one another. Everyone I worked with was very helpful and answered my many questions without seeming frustrated.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unpaid internships
Domestic Violence Advocate
Domestic Violence Advocate (Former Employee) –  Princeton, ILFebruary 4, 2019
Certified as an Advocate in Domestic Violence and Sexual Violence, Crisis Intervention, and ASIST trained
Responsible for client's in house, transported overnight, as well as managing a 24 hour crisis line.
Fun
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 27, 2019
I really enjoyed working at the Freedom house. I really enjoyed the team work established with my team and the flexibility we had with our schedules that completed the experience.
Nice working atmosphere.
Drug and Alcohol Counselor (Current Employee) –  Clinton, NJJanuary 9, 2019
Awesome working atmosphere. People are helpful, cordial and always willing to answer questions. There was never a moment when my concerns were not addressed.
Pros
Encouraging
Cons
a chance to work with adult handicapped people
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 3, 2018
I enjoyed my job.I got to know a lot of people and learned new skills daily. I learned how to have compassion for others. I enjoyed doing all the paperwork. and I loved my boss.
Pros
money
Cons
changing diapers
many part timers.
Domestic violence advocate (Former Employee) –  Princeton, ILAugust 27, 2018
The company is very compassionate and caring for clients and staff. It is a family like atmosphere. Overall very professional and mature people work there.
Fun work place
Student employee (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MAAugust 26, 2018
Working at Freedom House changed my life, I learned many skills that I can use in the future. One day when I’m older I hope to go back and work there with teens my age.
Pros
Resources
Great place to work for the cause
Residential Counselor: Human Trafficking (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 27, 2018
Freedom House was a good place to work, I loved doing what I did to help the victims of human trafficking. The job could be fast pace some days and others a bit slower. The population could be challenging and tough but if you know how to deal with tough backgrounds it should be fine. The organization is great, however their compensation is low and there weren't any benefits, you have to really love helping others (at risk populations) to work for this organazation.
I loved working with the employees and the clients.
Domestic Violence Advocate (Former Employee) –  Princeton, ILJuly 6, 2018
I enjoyed my time there, however learn to keep private matters to yourself this is a confidential environment and no one should know too much. I enjoyed working with the clients and even when I had to go out to the emergency rooms for clients in need in the middle of the night, I knew what I did was important and should be performed with the highest quality and confidentiality.
Pros
quiet work environment
Cons
i was only voluntary worker
Fun to work here but very low paid
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 10, 2018
The colleague are nice but Freedom House does not pay good to the junior staff. However, Senior staff get handsome salary.

Often have free breakfast so get a chance to talk to others besides work.
Pros
Great place for low paced workers and managers who want to chill out
Cons
No growth opportunity
Warning: Toxic!
Director, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2017
FH has had incompetent management for as long as anyone can remember: it is nearly impossible to find an alum of the organization that has anything positive to say about it. While a new president offered some hope this year, he now plans to gut programs (where something like 70% of the DC-based staff work). He has also been replacing incompetence on the executive team with self-perceived stars who are downright abusive.
Pros
Mission-driven, talented staff
Cons
horrifically bad management
they have game room for family to play,child care for babies.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIOctober 30, 2017
its very quite n very helpful people there and can get along wit everybody there and they give good food to the family and they help the family to get on they feet to found a place to stay and help them how to found a job.
Excellent goal oriented team
Counselor Intern, Medical Liason (Current Employee) –  Glen Gardner, NJOctober 27, 2017
Great place to learn and grow and advance. The management is dedicated and cares about you personally. The wages may not be the greatest but the atmosphere is excellent. Between PTO and sick days, it is possible to have a decent work life balance.
hardest part of the job
Home Health Aide (HHA) (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 19, 2017
While working for this company i became somewhat fond or attatched to my patients. You take care of there every need and desire and if not taken seriously as your profession you can get emotionally attached so I created my own way and mentality w/a great and comfortable relationaship but w mind set of always knowing and understanding the feild of work I am in and can sometimes be very temporary w some of these patients.
Great Place to work and very interesting
Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Weatherford, TXSeptember 21, 2017
Great personnel..excellent environment...good supervisors and management. Environment exceptional and staff and co-workers work hard to fulfill tasks
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
pay
very nice to work there with the people
Back Up House Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 22, 2017
i would come in and look at my email and then started on my bathrooms and then when 9:00 am came round i would pick up the breakfast meal up and about 11:00 am i would start making the lunch and i would bring lunch down to the daycare and then when 1:00 pm i would pick up everything up and pot it away and clean the lunchroom up .wipe everything up and sometime's people would cook dinner and other time's i would cook dinner .
Pros
free lunchs for the kid's if needed
Cons
full time yes but time no
Great experience, little room for growth
Fundraising Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 7, 2017
Great experience with a well known NGO. Understaffed with lots of pressure, and not a lot a room for growth. At times high turnover and low moral, but the great work that it does makes people stay.
Staff works together well.
Domestic Violence Advocate (Current Employee) –  Princeton, ILMarch 7, 2017
I love this place. It is a friendly environment. Collaboration between departments is easy and enjoyable. It is a low stress atmosphere where help is only a question away.
Good organization to make a direct difference in someone's life
Sr. Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 6, 2017
Staff member wears many hats. Everyone is pleasant and capable. The hierarchy of the office makes it hard to implement positive change. Make sure you do self-care for the nature of the work is intense due to the population you serve.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Freedom House. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight