Freeport McMoRan Employee Reviews

It was ok, till they downsized.
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2018
This was an ok company till they downsized. I think management could have done better in how then let employees go and the severance pay could have been better.
Strained
SECRETARY TOWNSITE HOUSING (Former Employee) –  Bagdad, AZNovember 2, 2018
Lack of management. Lack of team work. Lack of good employee relations. The location i worked at was in a company owned town. Housing is available to employees however there is a very lengthy wait list.
It was a great company!
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2018
The company was a wonderful company to work for, but with the downturn, change in management and selling of the company assets, there isn't much left of the company.
Decent place to work
Fill planner (Current Employee) –  Morenci, AZOctober 31, 2018
It is a good place to work. The culture is good I just want to learn new things. I would like to see how things work at other companies or sites. Overall it is a good place to work.
Pretty decent
Mechanic Helper (Former Employee) –  Vanadium, NMOctober 22, 2018
Great benefits great safety culture. Great vacation great advancement if wanted. Managers are pretty decent also. Never had a problem with them. Graveyard can be quite stressful.
hi
Environmental Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Morenci, AZOctober 22, 2018
They were a great company to intern for. They had a very structured intern program and always had things to do on our schedule. We got the opportunity to present our projects at the end of the year and go to the corporate conference.
Excellent place to work!
ELECTRICAL AND INSTRUMENTATION TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Bagdad, AZOctober 18, 2018
There is nowhere out there that beats the cost of living and the hourly wages, nice quiet town. The company puts a lot of time and effort to have family events in town and make upgrades to the town, they invest in their employees and community.
Pros
Quiet town
Cons
Far away from certain amenities
Technical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 14, 2018
Has a lot of opportunity for advancement. I really like this place to work at. They offer a very comprehensive benefits package and a very competitive 401K.
Productive and great atmosphere
Sr. Buyer/Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 9, 2018
Good company to work for. Great training, good family/work balance, good pay and good benefits. Will definitely consider going back given the opportunity
One negative
Diagnostic Electrician (Former Employee) –  Miami, AZSeptember 27, 2018
Limited training opportunities. Hard to progress technically because of the limited training they offer. I'm comparing it to other companies I've worked for.
A relaxed atmosphere where the employee was a valued asset.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 25, 2018
For many years, Freeport-McMoRan has been a strong leader in the mining industry as well as oil and gas. Management understands its most valuable asset is the employees. This certainly encouraged loyalty by all of its employees.
Pros
Cafeteria discounts
Cons
Volatile industry
Great benefits
Crushed Operator trainee (Current Employee) –  Morenci, AZSeptember 24, 2018
Freeport has several great benefits and the environment was a great learning experience about safety. Yet the hours of working for this company take away a huge portion of time away from family and other life events .
Pros
401k plan was very successful.
Cons
Long hours and not enough time with family
Never a dull moment, high energy, diverse, constant change
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 20, 2018
In my 6 years I have learned a lot of new job duties. It has got me out of my comfort zone to try new things. The Accounts Payable Dept. is fast paced, constantly changing and always moving towards more efficient process improvements.
Pros
Free Friday lunches, half day Fridays every other week throughout summer, free coffee, soda, water, covered parking and telecommuting, free tickets to many different events, good benefits
Cons
Lack of management communication, listening and actually hearing employees ideas on process improvements, Lack of respect for employees within the department resulting in no respect for managment
Review
Crush and Convey Diagnostic Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Safford, AZSeptember 18, 2018
Good place to work with good people. The work schedule was great and management was always willing to work with you for days off. Laid back environment for the most part.
Wonderful place to work while it lasted
GEOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 13, 2018
Absolutely loved working for FMI. The environment was friendly and open, and the work was always interesting and cutting edge. Unfortunately once FMI merged with PPX our entire office was laid off.
I never wanted to leave my Freeport family!
Senior Oil & Gas Marketing Scheduler (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 13, 2018
With the divestiture of the company's oil and gas holdings, my position came to an end. I worked with an incredible group of professionals who became family, not just co-workers. It was a sad day when I parted ways. Management was keen to promote personal growth and saw its employees as its most valuable asset. It was very gratifying to go to work daily knowing that you were going to leave a positive mark on the world.
Pros
Employees treated as most valuable assets.
Cons
Volatility of minerals markets made for some uneasy times.
Safety and Communication is Key
Mechanical Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMSeptember 10, 2018
Every day at work begins with a brief discussion about safety. All work at the mine site is driven by safety and incident prevention. The Company is dedicated, from top to bottom, to making sure everyone returns home from work in one piece.

Engineering work involves both work at the desktop and work at the field. Communication with numerous departments is essential. Every job anywhere starts with a assessment of the task and the area to find and address any hazards.

If you are looking for a balance between desk work and field work with an employer dedicated to the safety of everyone involved, Freeport McMoRan should be a perfect fit for you.
Enjoyable place to work
Opit pit Copper Mine Operations (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 7, 2018
Getting use to shift work and operating of large equipment was interesting.But dusty.Learned a lot about working around large equipment and copper minning operations with a lot of nice people
Cons
Dust
Great Place To Settle Down
X-Ray Operator (Current Employee) –  ChinoSeptember 6, 2018
Its tough work. Not everyone is built for it. Production is the most important thing. Schedules are set in stone. Has some great benefits but it is a working life. Applying for this job should mean that you will be here for the rest of your life and you are comfortable living in a small mining town until you die. Stay away from certain places. Baghdad mine the town is not even a village you will not enjoy living there. Silver City Tyrone mine really small not much there. Chino mine horribly outdated with production over safety. Stay away from crushing and conveying and stay away from the Mill. Also Driving the haul trucks is not that fun you have been warned.
Pros
benefits. good pay. great vacation hours
Working for FMI
Planner II - HDTS (Current Employee) –  Safford, AZSeptember 4, 2018
FMI is a great company to work for. For the most part they care about their employees. Of course there are a few managers that feel the need to micro manage their people. But all in all they are a very competitive and collaborative company. I have enjoyed my 13 years with them.
Pros
160 hours paid vacation can't be beat.
Cons
Micro-managment at its worst.