Fresh Air Fund Employee Reviews

review
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYApril 9, 2019
it wasn't that bad the pay was terrible though so, I wasn't motivated to do the job. I worked with kids and after the first term I didn't want to work there the pay was to low for me. The culture I enjoyed it the staff was somewhat tolerable.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
had to wake up extremely early pay was low
Very relaxing
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York StateJanuary 13, 2019
I would say that this experience was very eye-opening and very relaxing. Camping out basically in the woods for almost 4 weeks was a great activity ad really fun lesson.
Fun workplace while being a camp councilor for children ages 12-15
Junior Councilor/ General Councilor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 11, 2019
Over the summer, we keep our luggage in cabins and participate in several activities with children during the day. I learned to strengthen my ability of team work with others and to break out of my shell to communicate with others more to do this. My manager was very polite to my co-workers and I, and she also did everything to her ability to keep everything running smoothly. The workplace culture revolved around the idea of team building, for the councilors and the campers, and positive competition. The hardest part of the job was to get certain children to listen because some children rebel more than others. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to give the kids a great and enjoyable summer experience.
Pros
Free Meals 3 times a day, healthcare
Cons
Short breaks
Culture, Management, and Hours
General Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYJanuary 4, 2019
Needs better hours and management. Furthermore, the hourly pay is not matched in terms of the hours you have put in on top of dealing with various issues with campers.
Nice time
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYDecember 3, 2018
Never had to worry about much of anything happening it was all jokes laughter and a good experience. Would wake up and go with the kids to learn about nature.
Pros
fun
Cons
safety
Amazing first job
Station aid (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 17, 2018
It was such a blessing to work at fresh air fund. Between meeting new people and working with a friendly crew I can say this is one of the best jobs someone my age could have. I've already worked there two Summers and pray I get to come back a third.
Pros
Meeting new and old faces each year.
Cons
Traffic can make the buses late but it teaches patience
Summer Camp
Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYNovember 14, 2018
Worked here in my teens, Helped me to grow up, needed better living conditions as a trainee, only for the summer, offered programs for teens after they had left
An okay place to work if you want to make some money during the summer.
Station Aid (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2018
The job is okay. It's only temporary but it helps to put the some extra money in your wallet. I would recommend to some people if they have patience.
Pros
sometimes they'll treat the employess with treats.
Cons
sometimes long breaks, barely any hours during some weeks.
Fun workplace with caring people
SLEEP AWAY CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYSeptember 20, 2018
A typical day at work includes watching the campers, playing games, and hiking. The management was very friendly and cared about their staff and the campers. The hardest part of the job is being with the children throughout the entire two weeks with only one day off and 1 hour a day off. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning new things from everyone you met.
Pros
Free meals, free lodging, chance to work with international staff
Cons
You are on the clock 24/7
Fast paced but positive environment to work in
Community Outreach Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Definitely a fast paced environment to work but a great place to learn and gain experience. Definitely a good place for a first time office job. Everyone in the office works hard to get to achieve great results and help provide summer programs for NYC children.
Productive and Fun work space
Teen program specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
a typically day at work includes 24 hour supervision of children in a fun fast paced environment. The management does its best to support you as a employee and personally.
Pros
Free meals and Free room and board
Cons
Around the clock hours
Good
Counselor in Training (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYAugust 14, 2018
I worked here as a summer job and I had a great time. Yes there are times where it can be really stressful but overcoming it is just part of the job and teaching the kids about responsibility, teamwork and leadership was the best part of the job.
New management.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYJune 28, 2018
Great coworkers, bad management. You form a lifetime bond with a lot of the campers that attended the camp. The kids were so understanding. The location of the place was great.
Pros
The camper were great.
Cons
low pay
productive and fun place to work
Friendly Towner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
Working at fresh air fund was a great experience. The staff were always so friendly and helpful especially when I first got hired and was learning the ropes.
Good
Village Leader (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYJune 8, 2018
I was a student intern but I felt well-taken care of there. They were flexible with hours and understanding and gave me ample responsibility. It was overall a great experience.
Great
Community Outreach Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2018
I enjoyed recruiting children for the free summer programs. This was a great way to help inner city kids leave the city and get some fresh air. I enjoyed being a community outreach intern.
Productive, hard working, fun environment
VILLAGE LEADER AND ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 28, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to create those special relationships with the children and staff members who attend camp.
The day usually consists of having a morning meeting, getting the children washed and changed for the day ahead. Having breakfast with the children before having our daily activities. These vary depending on what skills the instructors bring to camp that year. Half way through the day we would have lunch and then back to activities. On occasion we would have a super hero day or village sports days.
In the evening we would eat dinner, talk to the children about their days before heading back to the village.
Pros
Giving the children experiences that they might not have experienced otherwise.
Cons
long days
great place
Junior Counselor, Counselor, and Nature Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2018
The Fresh Air Fund is a great place for a young person to work. You work with underprivelged NYC children who have rarely had the opportunity to be out of the city.
Brilliant
General Counsellor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2018
While working in a summer camp is the busiest and most difficult job I have ever had, working at the fresh air fund was the most rewarding and the best job I have ever had. It built my confidence and resilience and you get given the best support from all the camp leaders, co workers, village leaders and camp directors.
Love for Kids
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2018
If you inspire to be a future teacher or plan to work with kids in the future, this job is an amazing challenge and growth for you. Being in the outdoors, helps your personal growth along side a group of kids.