Fresh Thyme Farmers Market Employee Reviews

Tomorrow I give my notice
Scanning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Savage, MNDecember 16, 2018
Tomorrow I'm giving my notice at Fresh Thyme and I feel like a large burden has been lifted from me! I had high hopes for the company when I started a litttle over a year ago but I've lost hope. That is so sad to say. I so enjoy my co-workers and I will be sad to leave them, but I need to look for stability in my work. Their new signing program is a mess. I hope I'm wrong and Fresh Thyme can turn things around but right now things do not look good.
Pros
Paid vacation and holidays
Cons
Company is bleeding money all over the place!
Great coworkers and Management at certain locations
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 19, 2018
Fun work environment. A work day can be face paced and sometimes it can be relaxed. They are very customer satisfaction driven. They allow you to go above & beyond for a customer. However, they are lacking organization and structure when it comes to new stores opening as well as the management they hire. I worked with upper management that was sexist and homophobic.
Pros
Breaks, easy going, various jobs positions
Cons
poor management at some locations
Very productive and collaborative
Grocer/Vitamins/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53206December 15, 2018
I enjoyed working at Fresh Thyme mainly because the people there (employees and customers) were very nice and pleasant people to be around. A lot of team work is expected and even on busy days it doesn't get to crazy. I started out with very little experience so they first trained me as a grocery and I eventually worked my way up to the vitamins department and even earned a raise.There really wasn't any difficulty to this job but if I had to pick one it would be the ability to have to be helping out in other departments if they were ever low staff but even then they would give you a very easy job to maintain for a very short period of time or when the store gets busy whenever there were big sales going on.
Worst Job Ever
Scanning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHNovember 20, 2018
In the 3 years I worked for this company I had to work 6 days a week for at least 85% of that time. Management refused to learn any part of my job so I could have help or time off. Plus, no overtime allowed. When I did take time off, I paid for it by having to work twice as hard to get caught up when I got back. Constantly bullied by management. Was treated horribly by staff when I took bereavement. Reporting anything to HR just made it worse. No formal training. No written SOPs. Every department makes up their own rules. Ideas for improvement are either ignored or stolen. I was having multiple panic attacks a day. Since I quit, no more panic attacks.
Pros
15% discount, extra discount for Thanksgiving and Christmas
Cons
Too many to list
Disorganized, stressful place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 14, 2018
Not much has changed since the company was fairly new and I started working here. The lack of communication/knowledge sharing between store level employees and corporate is mind blowing. You expect some of that at a new company, but 3 years later there is very little improvement. Employees are not valued, departments are regularly shorthanded and people are overworked. Yet, they still manage to complain about labor hours. There is very little personal responsibility on all levels, and no formal training to speak of.
I hate this place
Food Service Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 14, 2018
At the cost of sounding unprofessional, this is the worst job I've ever had. Upper managment is disrespectful and disorganized. Frequentally ignores lower managment's suggestions for increased productively and how to manage product loss. Doesn't trust employees or lower managers and disregards authority of anyone who isn't a suck up. Pay disparity between department managers who have the same or more work responsibilites and experiences despite being paid less.
Great benefits, great people, mangament is questionable
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 9, 2019
The work atmosphere is great. People are mostly friendly. Great benefits especially for a family. PTO is great and bi annual raises. The huge down side to working here is management plays favorites, and lets a lot of no-nos slide for their favorites. Policies were not established, and rules were always broken.
Pros
Employee Discount, Insurance, Pto
Cons
Lack of good policies
typical day at work
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis MissouriDecember 26, 2018
First and then often after was to check email keep up with ever changing production issues and company changes. Orders were placed ever day depending on the truck schedules for the different distributors. I would have to work anywhere from 2-5 pallets of product in dry grocery, dairy, frozen, or bulk in any combination. after product was put away if any orders needed to be placed that was completed. I would have to track invoices and charges paid by the company in different excel workbooks for each department individually. I would set the team up for the evening and touch base with them before leaving in case of any questions or concerns about expectations for the evening.
Pros
Great employees to work with!
Cons
Too far to drive from my current residence.
Poor training, MGMT, culture
Assistant Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 9, 2018
I helped open a store and worked there for 4 months. Within a week of our open my dept manager quit. Within the few months I worked there, the regional VP was fired. The ASD, SD, and several other department managers and asst manager quit. Corporate provided no assistance with the void of leadership. HR was present barely half the time. This may be a good job if you stay away from a leadership role. Otherwise, expect grief and stress from your regional specialists, no support, and a serious lack of a personal life if you do otherwise. As departmental MGMT, you have NO say in hires and fires. You have NO voice. You are a cog to a collection of corporate Huns.
Pros
Retail discount
Cons
Lack of quality in just about everything
Understaffed, high expectations, high work load
Hourly Associate (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 30, 2018
Store management was awesome. But company doesn’t know what they are doing. No training set in place for new management, no communication to staff, no accountability for wrong doings. Company has huge expectations for management that cannot be done in 40 hour work week. I’ve seen the entire store quit yet no upper management changes to make things better. Would never recommend working there.
Pros
Potential to get full time
Cons
No training, short staffed, no support
Very disorganized and poor management at all levels.
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hills, PAOctober 25, 2018
The typical day of work at Fresh Thyme is very disorganized when the night time person does not do their job completely because it then puts you behind by as much as 2 hours depending on what they did not complete. Either they just don"t do their job or they call off and the management is very lenient with fellow coworkers. The morale is very low and keeping employees there is very low. The most enjoyable part of the job is when it is time to go home.
Pros
Your breaks and the end of your shift.
Cons
Poor management and missed breaks.
Send in the Clowns
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymousNovember 9, 2018
Did you know when the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus shut down that the clowns who lost their jobs found positions at the Fresh Thyme corporate office in Downers Grove, Illinois?

These clowns, supplemented with a few former Sears and Toys r Us corporate additions from the scrap heap, have created an organization with the most entertaining conference calls this side of the Hindenberg blimp engineering team's biweekly meetings.

Along with vanishing profits providing the magical act at the circus, working at Fresh Thyme gives you a unique opportunity to see first-hand Facebook Live videos that have the production quality of an Albanian UHF TV station frm 1978.
Pros
Clowns are entertaining
Cons
Clowns constantly beeping their red nose horns on conference calls
The buck stopped nowhere.
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILNovember 19, 2018
Most of the reviews here seem tied together in that the upper management structure is their fundamental failure and will likely be the downfall of Fresh Thyme.

Reviews concerning [sexual] harassment, discrimination, bullying, favoritism, toxic work environments, lack of training, et. al are all absolutely valid and true. There was nowhere to turn, no one to reach out to. Indeed, the buck stopped nowhere.

All new companies start out fantastic, and my experience in the beginning like most others was an outstanding one. The roses never smelled better. As time passed and the company outgrew itself, the walls started closing in and the consequences of horrible upper management with no clear direction in place made for a very difficult and stressful experience with the company.
Better place to shop than to work.
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 2, 2018
There was more turnover in this job than I had seen in any other job due to people not wanting to work there any more, even at a department management level. Additionally there was no proper or consistent training provided and hours were regularly cut for poor performance even though the employees were not set up to succeed in the first place. The breaks, benefits, and discounts were not enough to compensate for the toxic working environment.
Fun place to work, but only temporarily.
Clerk / Associate (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHSeptember 20, 2018
When I worked for this company, the pay was minimum wage for my state. I got pretty decent hours at first, but the hours dwindled as the store got more staff. The management is poor, but my coworkers were wonderful people and made working fun. From what I here, the management has gotten better, and will hopefully stay that way.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Poor benefits/pay/management
Very negative and degrading
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYOctober 21, 2018
This is not a healthy place to work. The culture is toxic and inconsistent and bias. Few employees actually work. Management is clueless and most male managers sit in back office and do nothing but gossip. My job was to do my managers job.
Pros
You get paid for the disrespect they hand out.
Cons
Creepy managers that say inappropriate things.
Great fast paced job with amazing coworkers
Grocery/4th key manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 17, 2018
I miss working at the Milwaukee Fresh Thyme. Great coworkers, great customers, and a fast paced environment. That store definitely is a family. Sure, sometimes it can get stressful with employees calling in, but what retail place isnt like that?
Pros
Amazing coworkers
Cons
Too many call ins
Stressful almost always
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ashwaubenon, WISeptember 12, 2018
Most of the time, working here is fine. But if you're looking to stand out or for advancement, better be willing to suck up to management at times. If you have any good ideas to make the place better, chances are it won't go through. Thankfully, most of the coworkers realize you're all in this together, but it hardly helps when you're understaffed and only seeing the work pile up.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management needs work
Good workplace, good people, but i was bored
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 23, 2018
The meat department helped me keep good habits with sanitizing my work area. My manager was really nice and understanding of my school situation. It was a little rough doing opening hours because waking up at 5am every weekend is the last thing i wanted to do after working in a hospital at day and doing homework at night. Ultimately the job was a lot of standing around and waiting for something to happen or just finding something to do whether was was cleaning a surface or restocking a shelf on the meat rack. It doesn't mix well with my need to stay active and it isn't as stimulating as doing x-rays on patients which it what i went to school for while working at Fresh Thyme.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Monotony
No training, no future
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, IlOctober 12, 2018
Worked in the deli. You are thrown into the fire with no preparation or training. You'd better figure out where things are located by yourself. Mgmt is blatantly cruel, makes you look foolish in front of customers, until you get up to speed. One fellow employee tried to drive me nuts.
Pros
Got time and a half for labor day
Cons
Too many to list.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fresh Thyme Farmers Market. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight