Fry's Food Stores Employee Reviews

Just awful
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 15, 2018
Management is horrible. The front end managers don’t respect customers or employees, we are overworked, and people gossip about everything. There’s not really many benefits until you’ve been there for a year but even then it’s not much. Pay is horrible unless you’re in a management position. Hours are either too much or not enough. Managers are always grumpy. they expect too much of the workers and they make new rules constantly.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Lazy managers, not enough pay, not good hours.
Working night was very hard on me. I never saw my husband.
Assistant Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2018
Schedules would not come out till the last minute. Often schedules would change without notice. Not very flexible with your personal life.
Promises were made and no follow through.
Pros
I enjoyed working with the customers.
Cons
Very poor management
Fry's Food Stores lie to you
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  All I can tell you it's on 13 11 Bell RoadOctober 5, 2018
They say you can shop on your break but you can't they write you up for any little chance they can get just to get new hire help in because they do not like the people there so they'll switch them around and then they'll find excuses to write them up on a false pretense and let them go and when you wait for your paycheck it's about a month later then union doesn't help much either and they don't like to give breaks at all they continue working you like slaves is a lot of favoritism that goes around in the store and the customers are not very happy because they're not getting the help that they need I know a lady that walked into the Fry's store and she was Employee they cute her of stealing right away and check the cameras because she came back with three milk bottles and it was the store manager and when they fire you they don't care they leave you on and you don't get your unemployment and you really have to fight for your hours they say it's friendly for the customers and also for employees it's like family but it isn't they lied to you I wonder what corporate really thinks about their managers and their employees that have to suffer the store managers and upper managers treat you really bad. And I'm not just talking about one Pacific store they're all like that and don't believe everything that's in a handbook because they still write you up for it and the managers talk behind your back really bad and they insult you to accuse you of a lot of things that you did not do and they say well you have to sign this paper because you'll get fire I know one guy that was doing a courtesy  more... clerk you really had to go to the bathroom really bad the manager would not let him go and he actually peed his pants in I'm leaving the company soon soon as I find another job I can't stand it here no more the way they treat us and when you're working in the apartment by yourself and there's no way for you to get your break at all for 8 hours if you're working 8 hour shift they say the managers will cover it but they don't and when you're on your break will still call you so if you're desperate to have a job go ahead and try the Fry's out but I guarantee you you won't stay there long eater you get frustrated or the fire you on false pretense and another thing they offer you a position and then they take it away and put you in somewhere else it happened to several people and they did not give you no any answers my daughter works for Fry's she came from another store from other states I'm not going to tell you what name but they're same company by Kroger but at least they treat their employees better I wish we never moved from one state to another because fry do not care about their employees  less
Pros
There is no Pros
Cons
The cons or the managers they rip you off and anyway
fun work place
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2018
As employee I love to work there I just don't agree with everything management do some have favorites some don't. I love my work and my coworkers who are like family. Deli is nice and easy and very much good experience I highly recommend it.
Pros
Family oriented, good pay
Cons
Favoritism
Very fast paced and sometimes overwelming
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 15, 2018
Fast paced and sometimes challenging place to work. I had some fantastic managers and some terrible managers. Priorities sometimes shifted from week to week.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
Comminucation
Management needs to be changed.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 14, 2018
During my time at Fry's the management team would change so often, and all of them would choose to do something a different way. Once you become accustomed to one way, you then get bombarded with multiple other ways. On top of that, they do not respect you as a human because each and every time that you need to change your schedule to adjust to your life, they will treat it as if you are trying to quit. People that have been there for so long think they deserve everything and will treat the newcomers as potential threats, and with the help of their manager friends will continue to harass you until you decide you had enough of that, so you finally do leave.
Pros
Discount of 10% on overpriced products
Cons
Breaks that are not guaranteed and a max of 20mins on an 8hr shift.
Mind your business
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 10, 2018
Years ago when someone said they worked at Fry's that brought praise and pride. Now in days the company has changed and not getting better. It's union shop everything is pretaining to the year of the collective bargaining agreement and the year you're hired pretains to that contract. Everything is seniority based. You get a raise based on hours worked. The hours are there if you want to work but location does have a lot to do with it. Fry's has a high rate of long term veteran employees that's a good sign and a long career is possible. It's a repetitive job same thing different day, you have to make the best of it. Management is where you make the most money. Regular pay isn't great but like I said put in the time and work and stability is possible with great benefits. Keep your head down and nose clean. What you did last week doesn't matter, it's always CAN YOU STAY OVER TODAY? UNTIL THEY'RE KICKING YOU OUT BECAUSE HR RED FLAGGED STORE HRS. GOOD FORTUNES!
Benefits
Cons
Shady co-workers, fake and phony employ. Management
Good Starter Job or Career Move
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Ahwatukee, AZSeptember 9, 2018
The store I worked for ran a tight ship and kept morale up to the point where the job was fun and you had a sense of accomplishment in completing tasks. I would say that it would have been nice to have some form of training to better learn the job better but they were understanding of me not having mastery of the work right away.
Good environment, room to advance
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 9, 2018
It's a good place to work, just the management takes advantage of you. Lots of room to promote but when you get in a new department they give little to no training and expect you to do it perfectly as if you've been doing it for years.
Pros
Lots of promotions within
Cons
Poor managment
Poor environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 3, 2018
Working retail is very cut throat. The district team at frys in Tucson is like a "click". Their HR supervisor is a joke. There is no good job on a job well done. It is all about what you have done wrong. You will go to work every day wondering what am I going to be in trouble for today. It is a terrible place to have to go to every day.
Pros
good befefits
Cons
terrible management, awful district team, negativity at every level, rude management and employees
Great Company Depending on Which Store
Cut Fruit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oro Valley, AZAugust 27, 2018
Frys started out as a great company, however, promises to advance or transfer departments fell through for me as my managers decided I was too valuable to be moved or promoted. Some stores hold you back if they feel its best.
Frys Food
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 27, 2018
good company to work for. just watch out which store manger you get. hours are good if you are willing to be flexible for the first year or two. customers are interesting
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
First Job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 22, 2018
This was my first job so I didn't know what to expect at first. But I found out this was a job for people who are looking for their first job or older people who need a pay check.
Pros
Discounts on store food
Cons
Have to always be in a good mood
You do not want to work here.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 21, 2018
You have to get an average of 20 hours a week (which you are not guaranteed to get) in order to get the benefits you wait a long year to get! And then, as soon as you drop below that 20 hours, your benefits go away! I can't even earn the vacation I was told I'd get after a year because all I can manage to get is 16 hours a week! I have some nice co-workers and do like my manager but Fry's doesn't care about you or anything you have going on. Unless you've been there and are on one of the old contracts. Then you can ask for days off and get paid vacation and hours and such. I get it that seniority is something you work for but it sucks sometimes. Just working for Fry's sucks. Run away. AS FAST AS YOU CAN!
Pros
Nice co-workers, fast-paced so the day tends to go by faster
Cons
Most everything
A very poor work experience which does not favor new hires.
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 20, 2018
Working at fry's food stores was very inconsistent and unpredictable. While I had asked for a minimum of 20 hours a week, I was lucky to even get 10. The system is designed to favor those working there for longer rather than new hires. For instance, even though I was hired at the same time as 2 of my other colleagues, I was last to choose my hours, which led to me receiving one or two late night shifts a week. Overall, it wasn't a very good experience.
Cons
Poor hours, low pay.
Productive Good Environmental Working place to be at
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 18, 2018
It was a good environment to work in as a 1st job & would definitely recommend this as a 1st time job or summer job. i worked as a courtesy clerk & customers were always satisfied & my hours were always decent to work with at times, but the management was hefty not good at all very poor. (Mean & Rude at times-Very Careless about their employees). Then hours started to roll back & i had talked w 3 managers there but all gave the same answer of not being guaranteed better working hours from what i had been receiving..so i quit & left!
Pros
store discounts, good working environment
Cons
short breaks, poor management, poor hours
Productive and fun workplace. You pretty much get the same schedule every week. It's a very good easy job to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Laveen, AZAugust 17, 2018
I love working at Fry's. I was a cashier and I also worked the customer service desk. You get reviews and you get hear what the customer likes about you and has to say about you and I love to getting my weekly reviews it's an amazing feeling to know how many customers really do like you and the way you do your job. It's an easy job the day goes by so fast and to me it makes me happy. I would look forward to going in every day. They have an amazing staff. Which makes the job even better they train you very well so you're never confused on how to handle things. Overall I would recommend Fry's to anyone who likes to work around people and can handle money good and likes to work in a retail customer service environment.
Pros
Discounts, same schedule weekly, days finish Fast
Cons
No overtime
The store and corporate associates are very nice people and fun to wotk with. Management tends to look down on anyone in a position lower than them.
Front End Manager/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2018
The main base of associates are really nive and fun to work with.
Most of the managers I worked with were nice but looked down on others not all but most.
There are not enough hours scheduled to take vare of the customers in every store.
It is extremely fast paced and most customers appreciate the service you provide.
There are clicks in each store so favoritism is a large problem.
At times when corporate people would tour stores even they won't stop and say hi or introduce theemselves. Again not all but most. So that culture starts at the highedt levels. Also upper management will not support you when they know you are right and did the correct things it is always about themselves and refuse to step up and do the right thing. They don't want to make it look like they are not doing what their boss wants. Creates bad morale.
Yet it is still a great job and outstanding associates as a majority.
Pros
Time flys by and you get a discount on private label.
Cons
Clicks and favoritismis always there poor pay for what is required of you.
A good place to work.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Apache Junction, AZAugust 11, 2018
A good tip for working at Fry's is to keep your mind open and take the criticism as it's given because they're just trying to make you be a better worker.
It's good
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2018
Overall it's a good place to be, the only con is hours during the summertime aren't great. Co-workers are friendly, management shows that they care. Customers are usually nice.