Full Sail University Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A good place to work
Campus Enrollment Guide (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMay 9, 2018
I worked as a staff member. I found Full Sail to be a solid company to work for. Management is better than I've had previous jobs, and the school has a great culture. Rules and policies are always evolving, so it can be a lot to keep up with, but the other employees really keep it enjoyable.
Pros
Culture, benefits
Cons
Pay
Good company and has been a blessing from my season from going from a single to a married man.
Campus Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMay 3, 2018
Good company and has been a blessing from my season of going from a single to a married man. I never had a job that gave paid Christmas gift days off which was amazing. They always have a big Christmas party too which is put on to celebrate its employees. I wish there was a better work/life balance now that I am married and have a little girl. It can be stressful at times with certain metrics. As much as it is a school it is very much a business. If you understand that then it will give you the right expectation.
Very fast environment.
Lead Studio Artists (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMay 3, 2018
Full Sail is growing. Great place to work if you wanna learn and teach all once. Very fast moving environment. There was a disconnect from the various management teams.
It was an upbeat work place that required your attention at all times
Grip & Electric (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMay 3, 2018
I found joy in the work I did and always made sure that if I was in charge that everyone understood what I was asking of them. It was a good time and we learned a lot.
Pros
Free lunch, Great communication
Cons
Few Lazy Co-Workers, Long hours
Full Sail University is really a workplace for people who have retired and still want to make easy money
Lab Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLApril 30, 2018
Full Sail has a really relaxed work schedule. As long as I'm where I'm scheduled to be, I can selected my remaining work hours outside of that. The faculty in my position are heavily underpaid and undervalued. Some of the Lab Specialists actually have higher degrees than the Course Directors. The problem are the rules that accreditation enforces on the university, because Course Directors are required to have at least 4 years of industry experience.

I have over ten years of experience, but accreditation only recognizes a very small portion of it as "industry experience". It's not enough to teach my own class. It's actually sad that for one of the classes, I'm more knowledgable and qualified to teach it over the current Course Director.

It can be very exhausting dealing with the students sometimes, because some of the Course Directors do not care enough, so the students seek help from the Lab Specialists.

I strongly feel like Full Sail University is a workplace for people who have retired and still want to make easy money.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, the benefits
Cons
Underpaid, undervalued position, the annual raises are a joke
Productie, Team Building, Co-Operative, and Independant
TOUR GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 30, 2018
My day started with the actual set up of the areas that the guest were entering, then wait till the managers came so we can figure out our designated tour groups. I learned to handle groups of people on a daily basis. Answer all types of questions even the ones I did not know. The hours were long, but had much to do so it never felt groggy. The best part was that we got fed at break time and the worst part was putting back all the furniture in their designated area.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Continuous Movement
Productive workplace, constant room for learning
Texture Painting & Sculpting Intern (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLApril 20, 2018
I was an unpaid intern at Full Sail University. While it gave me a fun place to work and teach students, interns have rarely any opportunity for career advancement within the school.
Pros
Using the expensive equipment, great management
Cons
Unpaid, no room for career advancement
Relaxed, friendly
Marketing Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLApril 13, 2018
I worked at Full Sail for a little over two years. The management were very helpful, and open to communication. The workplace culture is relaxed and very friendly. Not too much room for upward movement.
I got to participate in events that Full Sail was apart of and that was super fun. Plus we usually got a week off during the holidays.
Pros
benefits, relaxed
Cons
not a ton of upward mobility
Very quick paced
Online Admissions Guide (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLApril 12, 2018
It was a very great place to work, weekly changes and goals are always different. Everyone there is great, it's a loving company to work with. I enjoyed my time while I was there!
Great people, poor leadership
IT Staff member (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMarch 26, 2018
Everyone is in bed with everyone else in the upper ranks of the University. The business can be run poorly and with VP's and directors taking large bonuses for budget cuts, your number could be up at anytime.
Enjoyed my time
Change of Enrollment Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMarch 18, 2018
Full Sail was a great place to work. However, pay vs work was far from equal. Certain departments were favored over others in regards to budgets at the top of the list. This could not only be seen visually, but also on paper, with the neglected departments having a very high turn over rate. I loved that they did not micro manage, and allowed us to manage ourselves. However, some people cannot work this way and had some trouble. Managers allowed team members to help others and encouraged and acknowledged us for this. Management in my department were wonderful, amazing, and taught me so much. I will always remember them, and cherish the time I worked at Full Sail.

In regards to benefits: great with time off paid. Healthcare was great until they changed their insurance provider as it only kept the biweekly payment roughly the same as the previous provider. The new provider did not cover many important aspects, therefore costing employees more money out of pocket for the same doctor visits, and etc.
Pros
Employee appreciation occurs a lot more than once a year.
Cons
Healthcare changed cost more than anticipated (roughly $2500/yr more)
An awesome place laid waste by incompetent, tyrannical management
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMarch 14, 2018
Full Sail is a wonderful place to attend, but an awful place to work. The culture of immersing yourself in music, film, and art is amazing, but the management is full of self important little caesars. They will work you to death, and then reward themselves for what you have accomplished and claim it as their own. They always have job openings but they almost never fill them. They get one employee to do the work of 3, then complain about money if you have to work overtime. Then they give themselves obscene "christmas" bonuses and you get a scratch off lottery ticket if you are lucky.
Fun and Fast pace, great learning enviorment
Studio Technician (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMarch 12, 2018
As a studio technician we would in a typical day be responsible for all studio inventory and studio up keep. We would deal with several different pieces of audio visual equipment so it is important that we learned what everything was and it's proper place of storage.
Course Director in the Digital Arts & Design BA (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMarch 10, 2018
I love my job and the people I work with. It is a very nurturing and supportive environment. Continuing education and advancement is supported. Management is great!
It had it's pros and cons
Student Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 2, 2018
I really enjoyed the people I worked with but the job description could become quite broad overnight. Sometimes you leave feeling like you're doing much more than you initially signed up for.
It's who you know
Campus Document Imaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLFebruary 28, 2018
This place was hard to work for because it all about who you know, not fair on how you move up, and they have the nerve you put in two weeks and they say" thank you but we are good " and then they put you down as a non rehire...... like what why oh you did not finish your 2 weeks but you told me to go, that's not ok .
Pros
lots of benfits
Cons
Management really need to be trained on fairness!
Overall a great school to work for
Course Directors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLFebruary 24, 2018
I really enjoyed my time helping students and working under industry professionals. It was a fantastic learning experience and a good environment. The teachers were very friendly and so were the lab staff, if you have the opportunity I highly recommend this work study job as it's one of the best at the school. I worked for the Model Creaction class in the Game Art and Computer Animation degrees.
Pros
Great teachers, A chance to improve art skills by teaching others
Cons
Slow management, occasional paycheck stalls
Textbook Toxic Workplace
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLFebruary 22, 2018
Working at Full Sail was a mistake that has essentially killed my career. This is a company that is run for the benefit of the owners and a handful of top executives. Students and instructors are a very low priority. Hours are long and unreasonable. The quality of students is very poor....there are virtually no admissions requirements other than having a pulse and a check that will clear. The company constantly claims that it is having financial difficulties that require cuts in pay and bonuses and then throws lavish social functions for top management. The marketing department is larger and better paid than than the teaching staff...that should be a red flag.
Pros
Cons
Toxic workplace, no work-life balance, incompetent management
Student
Academic Projects - Lead Editor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 21, 2018
I was a student. I did not work for them as a staff member. So I am filling this section out to complete the required amount of characters to continue
Very Laid-back and flexible
Financial Aid Student Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 11, 2018
Laid back and flexible but pay is below market rate. Paid holiday week off during Christmas is a great benefit. However, health benefits are too expensive.