Fulton County Sheriffs Office Employee Reviews

Law enforcement is a very stressful environment
Deputy Sheriff II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2019
The changing culture of the country along with poor management in the Sheriff's office was very hard on me. If the culture of the upper management changes it could be a job that i never leave.
Leadership
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 29, 2019
Many in leadership do not have the training in staff MGMT. Promotions are based on a exam and who you know. It is not a full service agency so what training you receive you very rarely use.
bad
FTO / Dignitary Protection Team (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 17, 2018
Very nasty place, no control of the inmates and the work environment is a place of depression and not conducive to work ethics. No room for advancement.
The work is not hard, the pay and benefits are excellent
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 24, 2018
The job is a good job, the coworkers are the biggest problems, but you can work around that. The majority of the people are nice and friendly. The hardest part of my job is traveling over 40 minutes a day fighting through the traffic.
Pros
free lunch, overtime, room for growth
Cons
days off/ no weekends
Great place to make a career
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Atlanta North, GASeptember 16, 2018
Great place to make a career with their great benefits and room for advancement. You can advance if you are willing to put forth the effort and go in with an open mind.
Poor management/Constant turnover
Victim Witness Advocate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 17, 2018
There is no such thing as job security and when it comes to management you can just chalk it up to complete lack professionalism, favoritism, no training, and lack of accountability. There is constant turnover of staff because of no one is appreciated or compensated well and everyone is expendable.
Pros
County benefits, co-worker camaraderie
Cons
Everything else
Learning environment with training
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 3, 2018
Received various training courses in order to maintain certification. Hands on physical training along with supervisory skills, Customer service skills applied in most areas.
Not a Professional Place
Front Desk Customer Service/Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 23, 2018
The Lack of professionalism is what bothers me. I came from a very structured Law Enforcement Agency in NYC, and working in Atlanta is very different. I like what i do, but the management could be a lot better. Some of the workers are not team players. I find that there are prejudices against certain people. The management has favoritism with some of the employees. It is not a very organized company. The job is easy and some of the upper management are nice, but they do not know what is going on under their supervision. The benefits are great and i do like what i do but i feel i could be doing more and if the upper management do not like you they will make sure you do not get a promotion. It is a lot going on and the morale is very low. It's unfortunate that it is this way but it is and i am ready to leave Law Enforcement.
Benefits
Cons
People in charge
Internship
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 10, 2018
Interning at The Fulton County Sheriff's Office was a great experience. I was given the opportunity to explore behind the scenes of the Sheriff's Office.
Pros
Networking
Culture at FCSO
Deputy Sheriff Sergeant/FT (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 2, 2018
Although the training was scarce, due to my overall previous and varied experience I was able to survive quite nicely. I was allowed to train staff and to ensure that they understand the importance of the job of maintaining security and protecting lives of all concerned.
Pros
Educational requirement helped to ensure staff that could function
Cons
Staffing was always short, not enough officers to man the units..
Fast Pace Dangerous Environment
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 7, 2018
It;s a fast pace, productive, dangerous environmental work place. There are little or no advancement. The benefits are good. I started out with the company as a detention officer, then switched to a civilian, working as an administrative clerk since 5/1997, which I currently am now. I love the team work that takes place.
Pros
Free lunch in certain areas, paid vacations.
Cons
Working with dangerous criminals.
AGood Place to Start
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 23, 2018
Fulton County is a good place to start. They seem to be always hiring.
The negative,people are always leaving. There are great officers there.
Management drops the ball , in keeping morale up and supporting staff.
Very short on staff in the jails. escpecially in inmate housing.
Not a place to make a career move. If your trying to get into law enforcement and need a start,why not.
Pros
free lunches, pretty good benefits
Cons
management
Enjoy the knowledge
Criminal Information System Supervisor (Current Employee) –  185 Central AvenueMarch 30, 2018
Too much politics play in determining your future position
Some of the officers are very nice
Current HR Manager is incompetent and hiring incompetent staff to over see some of the areas in Sheriff’s HR. You have to...
Pros
Excited about the the law enforcement experience
Cons
The agency don't value education
It was a stepping stone
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 4, 2018
As you grow, you either move up with the "Office" or you move on. It was great while it lasted but as I grew I realized I appreciate the experience and knowledge I received but now it's time to expand my horizon. Thank you FCSO!!!
Pros
Resume builder
Cons
People in general
Detention Officer Sergeant
Correctional Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30303January 26, 2018
My typical day work responsibities is to make sure my subordinates are ready for their assign duties and they have the proper equipment to help them complete their duites for that day. We must first go over our emergency plans and how we would excute them if anything was to take place in our 8 hour work day. I must go over the policies and procedures and evalutes officer performance based on established work standards; mediates officer disputes and identifies their needs and provide them with a solution to the problem.
Pros
Great Career Growth
Cons
Your life is danger at all times
Posted Anonymously
DEPUTY SERGEANT (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 19, 2018
Management was not providing safety and security. Most of the staff was involved in illegal activities while employed. Gang members where recruiting. I had to physically fight every day on various floors. Which was unsafe because you did not know who to trust.
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
No team unity
Good Place to work
Sheriff Deputy (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 17, 2018
very busy environment
good place to work
very challenging position
never a dull moment
have to be alert at all times
very loud
great workers
have to remain calm at all times
Poor Management
Sheriff, Deputy (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2018
Poor Management. Lieutenants and above treated the Detention Officers and Deputies as if they were nothing. Officers constantly called off thus making it extremely short handed. It was a very dangerous working environment. If you ask me, it's not worth the pay.
Pros
They provide lunch
Cons
Always short handed; lots of untrustworthy coworkers (contraband)
Apply at your own risk...
Employee (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 30, 2017
My clear advice: If you do not possesses good people skills, and can not handle constant stress/pettiness from supervisors, co-workers and inmates, DO NOT apply for this job (you will not last long).
Pros
Being employed.
Cons
Management!
productive
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 20, 2017
Good as long as you not in a group with people thing they are more than you hyanging with the big wig. And dont listen to what your co-worker say get different opinion. an make your our decission.