Fund for the Public Interest Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not a good place to work
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2018
Very unprofessional. Emails had many grammatical errors. Work attire was to dress as homeless as you can to beg for money. I will be iving more to homeless people instead.
Pros
Cons
too many
Great for meeting and talking to people across the state, but it's a physically demanding job.
Canvass Field Manager (Former Employee) –  CTMay 6, 2018
- I thoroughly enjoyed the people I worked with and the concept of building grassroots movement.
- There is not many opportunity to advance your position.
- Door canvassing is not a job for everyone, you have to be enduring of all the elements while working and speaking with all types of people on pressing issues.
- The work hours are also not ideal.
Canvassing just isn't a great job
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 9, 2018
Ok so you are basically a professional pest to people for a cause. If you're into the cause, that's good, they do good work. But you get paid next to nothing, you can get fired for not bringing in the money, which is sensible but stressful, and honestly the people running our campaign were kinda toxic, talking behind team members backs and the like.
Productive and Fun, Great Management Experience
Canvass Director and Field (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 9, 2018
This was more than a job! I was able to gain valuable experience working with like-minded and like-hearted people doing work that was meaningful and made an impact on social values that I hold dear to my heart.
Pros
Cons
Poor work-life balance
Fun place to work, directors not paid enough
Assistant Canvass Director (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 2, 2018
Typical days are quite long, but I did learn a lot working there. My co-directors were always great, I cannot say the same about the regional directors. The workplace culture in my office was quite fun, with a few exceptions. The hardest part of the job was doing the job with less staff than we were promised to have. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work on real life issues that people actually care about.
Pros and Cons
CITIZEN OUTREACH DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2018
There is a lot to be learned from working with the Fund. If you can spare a year or two of your social and personal life, especially if you have the ability to relocate, I would recommend taking advantage of the training and skills you can get with the Fund. That being said, the pay is pretty terrible and the hours are long.You must be prepared to set personal opinions aside and carry out tasks in the way you are directed.
Hard work but a decent summer job.
Campaign Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2018
If you want to make some decent money, get some real-life fundraising, campaign, and leadership experience, and don't mind long hours and facing rejection on a daily basis, you can work here! You need some thick skin and a positive attitude, but you'll also make friends and learn some life long skills.
Pros
Fun, making friends, not a "typical job, " lots of physical activity!
Cons
Long hours, stress/pressure to raise a certain amount every day
Interesting job experience
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 1, 2018
It was the best summer of my life. Campaigning for worthy causes like saving the bees, it was easy to go to work every day. However, there was no work/life balance. I got burnt out very quickly.
Fun while making meaningful change
Field Manager for Environment America (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2018
Working as a summer field manager for Fund for the Public Interest was the best experience I could have asked for during those three months. Coworkers including managers end up being good friends while making meaningful change.
Fun, laid-back environment
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2018
Perfect for college students looking to make a difference while balancing work and school. Great space, very open. Fun team building work and a great way to make new friends and explore the city.
Pros
great environment, frequent breaks
Cons
on your feet for hours, working outside
Corrupt System
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 20, 2017
My fellow canvassers and I calculated between our salaries and the amount of money we raised on average and compared the percentages to those provided by The Fund, and the amount of money raised goes a large margin less to the causes proclaimed and far more to the salaries of campaign directors.
Pros
Generally good people, weekly pizza nights.
Cons
Fraud of a company.
Disappointing
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 14, 2017
The nature of the work is challenging but rewarding if you are in it for the right reasons. However, that all easily got negated by the lack of support from superiors and low pay that did not qualify as any kind of a living wage.
Good starter, not forever.
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 23, 2017
Good for experience, you will not live with your salary and will be looking elsewhere once you acquire some skills. They say you can switch organization campaigns easily, its a lie, you will end up staying forever where you started. I mean you can still grow within that organization campaign. So when applying, make sure your applying for a campaign you really want to be in.
You are better than this.
Public Outreach Specialist (Campaigner) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 28, 2017
Horribly underpaid, cut-throat, lack of support; you are treated as a disposable money-maker. You're barely human, though they try to make you feel all warm and fuzzy by building fake team spirit. Save your valuable labor for somewhere else.
Fun for college
Citizen Outreach Director (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2017
Great place to meet wonderful people, do fun work and make a difference. Canvassing isn't for everyone, but if you're fairly good at it, you'll learn a lot and have a great time.
Only the tough will make it here
Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 18, 2017
This can be a fun workplace if you're working as salaried staff and become friends with your co-workers. It's somewhat brutal for part-time staff. The hours are long, the pay is low (especially inconvenient if you're in a large city), but the atmosphere of being surrounded by like-minded peers and working towards the common good help alleviate the inconveniences. If you're not willing to sacrifice your work-life balance for something you strongly believe in, I would recommend you do not seek employment here.
Pros
Working for a cause
Cons
Long hours, Lack of job security, Poor salary
Not worth making a living from this
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 28, 2017
This job is just not what I expected it to be. Management was pretty unorganized and they did not give you the best chance to succeed in the environment. Long work days and little pay and their quotas to reach was a joke. I don't recommend to anyone to work here.
Pros
Free pizza on Wednesday, nice coworkers
Cons
Little pay, no benefits, long hours
Fast-paced, fun environment
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2017
This job is a nonstop adventure from the moment you walk in, and there are a lot of opportunities to experience management and team building. It is a great opportunity to actually make a difference in your country, starting with grassroots campaigning.
Pros
It is a lot of fun for an extraverted, competitive personality.
Cons
There is no work-life balance, and you'll get fired if you don't meet your weekly goals.
Incredible campaigns, not great hours
Canvass Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2017
I loved working with the fund. I think that the campaigns being worked on are so necessary, and it really made me feel like I was making a difference. The only problem is when you multiply out how much we're being paid as canvass directors by how many hours we work it does not add up to a living wage.
Pros
Incredible work environment, room for advancement
Cons
Not enough pay
Awful
Field Manager/Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2017
As hard as the directors try to alleviate the sheer awfulness of a job like this, at the end of the day and especially in the current political climate, it feels neither worth the pay nor the amount of good it supposedly does (especially versus the resources it consumes). At best, this job is just not for most people. At worst, it's a farce and a pyramid scheme.
Pros
flexible days, decent bonus structure
Cons
stressful quota, long hours, constant exposure to elements, base pay is somehow only minimum wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fund for the Public Interest. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight