Fund for the Public Interest Employee Reviews

The fund does not take care of it's employees
Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 17, 2018
The fund for the public interest has you work crazy hours as a field manager it took over my entire life. Directors are over worked on salary. There is no job security, and promotions were not given to long time team member instead were outsources to out of state candidates. More over the fund gave us commission off of donations raised, but this stopped due to a requirement that we get a certain amount of phone numbers each night. This goal was never met therefore everyone was making only 8.50 per hour.
Pros
experience gained
Cons
unreasonable hours, duped out of commission pay
This company is a scam
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, MAOctober 1, 2018
the company is a scam, it underpays its workers. Theres no incentive to keep going after you hit quota so you end up just sitting around if you don't care about the cause.
Good summer job, teaches one-on-one fundraising skills.
Canvasser/Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 31, 2018
This was a canvassing job. That means you go into a neighborhood and knock on every door in that neighborhood, using a rap, or script, and asking for money for whatever cause you are working on.

The Fund is a left-wing fundraising group, so if you're really against human rights or the environment, don't apply.

I found that I was actually quite good at this position, and I actually enjoyed many of my days doing this work. If you work a neighborhood that shares the same ideals as the company, you can make quite a pretty penny in incentives. If you're in a more conservative neighborhood, you will not have a good day.

The hours were from about 2:00pm to 10:00pm during the summer. This makes it a pretty good job for college students. They do canvass year-round, so I would not recommend doing this job as a full-time, year-round position. It's enough money to pay rent for the summer, but not necessarily enough to build a career on, unless you get advanced to a higher position within the company.

Overall, I had a good time working for this company. I was good at raising money, and I got to ride a bike and work outdoors in the summertime. The job is behind me, though, and I don't plan to do it again.
Pros
Good pay for those who can earn
Cons
Door-to-door fundraising is NOT for everybody
Just ok, but at least you're working for a cause
Dataflow Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 26, 2018
Work life balance doesn't exist. You spend your entire life with your coworkers, so much so that inter-office relationships are the norm. Pay is sub-par, but management makes you feel like that doesn't matter because you're working for a cause! That doesn't exactly pay the bills though.
Windowless room
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2018
I had to use my personal phone to contact people who had applied to work for Fund for the Public Interest online because the one office phone did not work.
What a summer!
Field Manager/Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLJune 6, 2018
I worked for the Fund for the Public Interest the summer after I graduated from the Univerisity of Miami. It was such an amazing experience and I was really able to sharpen my communication skills and salesperson skills. Great coworkers in a comfortable, safe environment.
Canvasing
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 25, 2018
The causes they were raising money for were bogus causes that raise money for lobbyists in Washington DC and that do no actual environmental rehabilitation anywhere. The script was confusing and obtuse, but if you deviated from the script to put things into understandable language you get terminated.
Not a good place to work
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2018
Very unprofessional. Emails had many grammatical errors. Work attire was to dress as homeless as you can to beg for money. I will be iving more to homeless people instead.
Pros
Cons
too many
Great for meeting and talking to people across the state, but it's a physically demanding job.
Canvass Field Manager (Former Employee) –  CTMay 6, 2018
- I thoroughly enjoyed the people I worked with and the concept of building grassroots movement.
- There is not many opportunity to advance your position.
- Door canvassing is not a job for everyone, you have to be enduring of all the elements while working and speaking with all types of people on pressing issues.
- The work hours are also not ideal.
Canvassing just isn't a great job
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 9, 2018
Ok so you are basically a professional pest to people for a cause. If you're into the cause, that's good, they do good work. But you get paid next to nothing, you can get fired for not bringing in the money, which is sensible but stressful, and honestly the people running our campaign were kinda toxic, talking behind team members backs and the like.
Productive and Fun, Great Management Experience
Canvass Director and Field (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 9, 2018
This was more than a job! I was able to gain valuable experience working with like-minded and like-hearted people doing work that was meaningful and made an impact on social values that I hold dear to my heart.
Pros
Cons
Poor work-life balance
Fun place to work, directors not paid enough
Assistant Canvass Director (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 2, 2018
Typical days are quite long, but I did learn a lot working there. My co-directors were always great, I cannot say the same about the regional directors. The workplace culture in my office was quite fun, with a few exceptions. The hardest part of the job was doing the job with less staff than we were promised to have. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work on real life issues that people actually care about.
Pros and Cons
CITIZEN OUTREACH DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2018
There is a lot to be learned from working with the Fund. If you can spare a year or two of your social and personal life, especially if you have the ability to relocate, I would recommend taking advantage of the training and skills you can get with the Fund. That being said, the pay is pretty terrible and the hours are long.You must be prepared to set personal opinions aside and carry out tasks in the way you are directed.
Hard work but a decent summer job.
Campaign Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2018
If you want to make some decent money, get some real-life fundraising, campaign, and leadership experience, and don't mind long hours and facing rejection on a daily basis, you can work here! You need some thick skin and a positive attitude, but you'll also make friends and learn some life long skills.
Pros
Fun, making friends, not a "typical job, " lots of physical activity!
Cons
Long hours, stress/pressure to raise a certain amount every day
Interesting job experience
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 1, 2018
It was the best summer of my life. Campaigning for worthy causes like saving the bees, it was easy to go to work every day. However, there was no work/life balance. I got burnt out very quickly.
Fun while making meaningful change
Field Manager for Environment America (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2018
Working as a summer field manager for Fund for the Public Interest was the best experience I could have asked for during those three months. Coworkers including managers end up being good friends while making meaningful change.
Fun, laid-back environment
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2018
Perfect for college students looking to make a difference while balancing work and school. Great space, very open. Fun team building work and a great way to make new friends and explore the city.
Pros
great environment, frequent breaks
Cons
on your feet for hours, working outside
Corrupt System
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 20, 2017
My fellow canvassers and I calculated between our salaries and the amount of money we raised on average and compared the percentages to those provided by The Fund, and the amount of money raised goes a large margin less to the causes proclaimed and far more to the salaries of campaign directors.
Pros
Generally good people, weekly pizza nights.
Cons
Fraud of a company.
Disappointing
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 14, 2017
The nature of the work is challenging but rewarding if you are in it for the right reasons. However, that all easily got negated by the lack of support from superiors and low pay that did not qualify as any kind of a living wage.
Good starter, not forever.
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 23, 2017
Good for experience, you will not live with your salary and will be looking elsewhere once you acquire some skills. They say you can switch organization campaigns easily, its a lie, you will end up staying forever where you started. I mean you can still grow within that organization campaign. So when applying, make sure your applying for a campaign you really want to be in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fund for the Public Interest. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight