Furman University Employee Reviews

It was basically useful for experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 14, 2019
For me at least, It was basically useful for experience. Thanks to my church on Chapel Hill Road, I was able to gain more experience with different kids. And I have an interesting time doing so.
Pros
Experience, Lessons, Such Relating to Those Categories
Cons
N/a
A good place to grow
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 8, 2019
During my short time on Furman's payroll I enjoyed the freedom to experiment and grow as an individual. It was everything that I could ask for out of a college research study.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Lack of Structure at times
Working at Furman was like working in Paradise.
Part Time Professor of English (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 13, 2018
The work was wonderful since the students were well-prepared and the curriculum was wonderful and the coworker were too There was no hard part to my job since everything was pleasurable.
Pros
Everthing was fine and pro.
Cons
No cons.
Perfect workplace for someone who wants to be a lifelong learner
Assistant Director for Strategic Communications (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 9, 2018
Furman is an inclusive and supportive community where civil discourse and innovation are encouraged. The administration keeps the staff informed on the trajectory of the institution and how staff can continue to further the university's mission. Working in an environment where you have a direct impact on the lives of prospective and current students as well as the success of alumni, is a most rewarding adventure.
Pros
Benefits, collegiality, wellness programs
Youth Base
Volunteer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 14, 2018
Youth Base was a fantastic internship. Typically, I would get to my place of work about 7:30. We taught the students different aspects about ELA, mathematics and reading. The most enjoyable aspect about working there was seeing the children learn and seeing them love what they were learning.
Pros
Knowledge from the children
Great Place to Work
Librarian Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 29, 2018
A wonderful campus and place to work, forgiving with mistakes, and helpful in regards to training. With a dining hall and Starbucks, you never had to leave during lunch. I'd work here forever if the pay was better.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Not much pay
I have been at Furman 20 years part time
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 26, 2018
Have worked at Furman 20 years part time. Worked football games- basketball games- lactose games-concerts-plays and almost every building at, Furman. Have worked for Sho Pro for several years.
Easy environment to raise money with a solid reputation
Senior Major Gifts Officer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 7, 2018
While Furman is a prestigious elite private academic institution with a great reputation and a good relationship with their alumni, some of the executive staff have an elitist, almost snobbish air about themselves and the university...to the point that if you are not an alumnus you are treated as a lesser staff. My father is an alumnus so this is not sour grapes. Towards the end of my tenure the VP for Development only wanted to hire Furman alumni.
Pros
Great reputation, easy place to raise money, great alumni
Cons
cliquish, elitist, insular, snobby and liberal
Marketing Intern
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 18, 2018
It was a good learning experenice especially for an enrolled student at Furman University. It is a very good way to learn about what the lower levels of the industry entail.
There is a reason so many people retire from Furman
Assistant Athletic Trainer/Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 8, 2018
What a great place to work, from the beauty of the campus to the spirit of the students who would not want to be a part of the culture. The students are the best.
Great place to work!
Head Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 26, 2018
Furman was located in a great area and was an excellent place to work. The employees were very genuine people and my job was about taking care of the student-athletes.
Summer job
Summer Housing Staff (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 8, 2018
Worked in summer housing helped get everything in order before the students came back to school in the fall. Also prepared the dorms for the camps and conferences that were held at Furman during the summer.
Great
Accounting Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 5, 2018
GREAT work environment. Everyone there was very enjoyable to work with. The boss and co-workers loved working with everyone and you really felt like they cared about you.
productive and fun working
Administrative Assistant Athletics (Former Employee) –  Travelers Rest, SCNovember 12, 2017
Administrative Assistant Women's Athletics and Sports Information

Great job working with the students.

Helped the coaches with day to day activities. Recruitment for Women's Basketball, Womens VolleybaLL.

Travel for the opposing teams.
Working with the students is was very rewarding.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 7, 2017
A typical day involved helping students, faculty, and staff with criminal complaints, motorist assistance, and investigations of crimes. Working and meeting the students was the most rewarding part of the time that I spent at Furman.
Pros
Meeting new students.
Cons
Working 12 hours night shift hours.
Good first job
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 9, 2017
I have learned a lot and felt that it was a safe place to try out new skills. Everyone who works at Furman is kinda and want others around them to succeed.
Staff
Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 19, 2017
Great group of people to work with! Genuine, caring, supportive, group of people. Benefits are good. Often overlook the work horses to hire less experienced alumni instead of promoting from within.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Compensation - Advancement
Fitness through sports
Intern Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 22, 2017
While a Furman University, I would work from 8:00 a.m. till 4:00 p.m. from Monday through Thursday, and on Friday I would work from 6:00 a.m. till noon. I assisted with football, men and women’s basketball, men’s lacrosse, and softball. With these teams I assessed and demonstrated techniques for sport specific exercises. With a very competitive and fast-paced work environment, the staff did a great job of working together and multitasking to organize and run an effective training facility. The hardest part of the job was being able to adapt to training situations and being able to train more than one team at a time without it affecting their own workouts. The most enjoy part of the job was the staff I was able to work with. Being able to learn from them and the way they train their athletes. This was the start of my Strength and Conditioning career so a lot of what I learned carried over to how I currently coach.
Educational and exciting environment
RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 14, 2017
Exciting and fun job to have for a summer while fulfilling educational requirements for a degree. I learned a lot of skills that I was able to take with me to other jobs.
Fun, Helpful, and Inclusive - An Admissions Office like no other
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 18, 2017
Typical Day at work:
1. Weekly meetings to discuss upcoming events, personal updates, as well as updates for professional initiatives
2. Maintaining a calendar through outlook is essential
3. Providing timely communication is also essential
4. Interacting with prospective students, families, and other campus guests.
5. Communicating with other members of the office. Helping co-workers when/ where it is necessary.
What I learned:
Furman truly takes care for its employees. They have an extensive operation that strives to promote diversity, higher education, undergraduate research, and student and alumni pride.
Management:
Senior staff members and your co-workers within your department always want newer employees to be comfortable and succeed. Never hesitate to ask questions!
Workplace Culture:
Work ethic is strong across the boards. Everyone believes in working hard. However, taking the time to relax and have fun is critical to everyone's agenda as well.
Hardest Part:
Methodology of yielding students.
Most Enjoyable:
Traveling for 2 months of the admission season across the country and sometimes the world.
Pros
free lunches, free swag, inviting office, development of many skills
Cons
Saturday events, difficult to advance