Fusion Academy Employee Reviews

unsupported with low hours, poor management and huge turnovers
teacher (Former Employee) –  ilSeptember 17, 2018
it is a corporation first and foremost. an example of a company that talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk when it comes to supporting the staff. if you're not turned off by the bizarre promise of "paid planning time" (which amounts to five minutes per hour taught), then you've drank the kool-aid here. the admin team is only focused on making the parents and students happy because that's where the money comes from. granted, it's a private institution but it's a poorly run one with dollar signs on their minds in place of a solid education. the culture seems great, the focus on the arts and the individual teaching will draw you in initially. but there is an indisputable reason for the large teacher turnover rate there. teachers feel used, degraded and less valued the longer you're there. it panders and only serves teachers that truly try to appease the admin team. and you may think you've got 40 hours for the long haul but wait until it drops to 14 or 4 per week, particularly in the summer. the schedules waver for a variety of reasons so there is no chance to achieve full-time even if that is promised as a possibility. maybe it varies location to location but the one i worked for had a completely unsupportive admin team that collaborates with one another on a daily basis but rarely with the teachers that need the support. there's a fast company article circulating about this school and the reasons for union-like support pay and benefits so i suggest researching that and the reviews here and at glassdoor before committing to the smoke and mirrors attitude on display here. i  more... just feel bad for the students since they deserve a much better education in a more steady setting than Fusion could ever hope to achieve.  less
Pros
the students, co-workers, the individualized approach
Cons
management admin, no benefits, profit-driven school with little care for staff, insane workload demands in-between classes with no pay
Avoid
Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2018
This is not a school, it is a corporation. The administration is more about making money than education, and they are unapologetic about it. There is no disciplinary structure, so teachers are left to fend for themselves when students misbehave. The turnover rate for teachers is tremendously high, as they are not taken care of by the administration in pay or support. Do not bother with this school. It will make you miserable.
Pros
Teachers are good, passionate people
Cons
Everything else
Look elsewhere first, things are done at the employees expense.
Instructor/ Teacher (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAAugust 9, 2018
First of all read some recent reviews, its pretty much there.
The company does not treat their employees well. One has to look no further than the insanely high turn over of teachers.
Fusion corporate is completely blind and deaf to the multitude of issues the company faces. The company culture is absurd at best. I have never seen management work so ineffectively. I could go on and on but the same is there in many other employee reviews.
Bottom line, if you can find a job somewhere else, do that.
Cons
not enough hours/planning time, high teacher demands, clique culture.
Stepping stone position for teachers
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York StateJuly 14, 2018
Fusion academy was my first teaching job. It was a good way for me to keep up my knowledge of Spanish after completing college. This position was a great work environment.
Pros
experience
Cons
home/work balance, compensation
Part Time Only
Department Head (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 5, 2018
Part time positions only for the most part, summers come and there's zero hours for many, very high demand on teachers - bordering on totally unreasonable expectations. Mission to students is doubtful, due to strong corporate focus on expansion and profit maximization.
Under paid and delusional
Math and Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJJune 27, 2018
As a teacher, this place should be a pit stop until you find a real job. They pay horribly, will lie to you about hours, and will steal your time. It takes more time to do the job than what they will pay you for. This is a for-profit school and it is run like it. Monetary goals are always more important than education goals.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Low pay, steals your time, money over students/teachers
Low pay high standards
Teacher/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 21, 2018
Parents pay top dollar at this school for the most part, unless the DOE was paying for students to come here for reasons unbeknownst to the staff for the most part. In my opinion, the Director of the school at the time was not experienced enough and she runs Fusion as a business not a school. There were students that obviously needed a different learning environment and she allowed them to stay at the school even when teachers like myself felt unsafe around the student in question.
Pros
Staff was friendly
Cons
Too laid back not enough structure, not supportive.
Management Issues
Teacher (Former Employee) –  NYMay 26, 2018
Management is extremely ill-equipped, demeaning, and degrading towards all staff. Teachers are not valued. There's significant time spent at work where you are unpaid.
Smoke and mirrors. Fusion badly misses the mark
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  United StatesMay 23, 2018
The mission is powerful, worthwhile, and attracts wonderful people - the execution is about profit, smokescreens, and does not match the mission one bit. Typical day is unpredictable. Teachers schedules change frequently, since teachers are paid per hour of instruction, they will often overwork themselves when hours are available to them, which dramatically effects the quality of the education. Management is focused on the bottom line, not keeping or caring for the students/ teachers they already have. Those that play the game get promoted, and fast, meaning often they will be promoted before they are ready for the demands of the role. Culture claims to be about a happy, loving and supportive atmosphere, but it is not genuine. Admin work so hard to make it look good instead of actually doing good work. The kids are often on display for new hires and visitors, the admin carefully selects students who will say the right thing. Administrative base pay, plus bonus potential. Only 5 sick/vacation days annually for admin. The CEO is a kind man but is very out of touch with the reality of what happens on campus as when he visits only the best version is presented. The hardest part of the job is not being able to deliver on the stated mission. Most enjoyable part is the kids. I learned Fusion does not align with my personal values.
Pros
working with awesome kids that need you
Cons
Management panders to regional demands for more and more numbers instead of quality
great environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 23, 2018
I enjoyed being a teacher at Fusion. The pay is a little less than desirable considering the amount of work expected outside of class (paid planning time is not enough), but the environment made up for some of the faults. The students are great, teachers are fun, and admin very accommodating to needs of the teachers.
great culture...
Teacher/ Mentor (Current Employee) –  Solana Beach, CAApril 22, 2018
Fusion definitely has a great culture itself. However, it is not a secure job to support family as a teacher here. You may loose hours to work around March and April which last until the end of summer. The longer you work, the more you feel like you should leave this position because new teachers are coming in constantly and some are leaving regularly. You start wondering why....
Pros
great atmousphere to work
Cons
less secure job depend on what you teach as a teacher
I was sad to leave
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2018
I worked here for almost 3 years. I loved my work there, and each day was comfortable and happy. The major reason I left was simply money; I was expected to keep my schedule open 40 hours per week, but was only scheduled to work an average of 14 hours. They tried to make this seem like a benefit- that I could easily work a second job if I wanted to. I had no choice but to work a second job-- on weekends. Otherwise I would lose potential work during the week.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Never enough hours.
The most positive high school for which one might ever teach.
English and Theatre Secondary Educator (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTApril 4, 2018
Students discuss Shakespeare one-on-one and hang out in beanbag chairs under the watchful eye of Guy Fawkes and a garden gnome. Fusion is always feeding everyone, so the environment is quite serene. What could be better?
Pros
Management, Colleagues, Students.
Cons
Hard, honest work. Gee, what a concept!
Fufilling work with decent pay
Music Instructor (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 20, 2018
Working at Fusion was a great experience - the only thing I would recommend is that Fusion Corporate gives out higher salaries. Otherwise, Fusion has a great model for learning and building confidence in young kids.
Very interesting and unique educational model
Science and Math Teacher/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 19, 2018
I truly enjoyed the Student Body. You had creative freedom to pursue the Curriculum requirements with respect to each child. They have a progressive approach to learning styles.
Pros
Nice staff and students
Cons
Management could have been stronger
Fusion Academy
Teacher and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hermosa Beach, CAMarch 5, 2018
There's lots of flexibility but a lack of ability to fill hourly teaching/schedule time.

If you're willing to dedicate your time and energy, there is opportunity for growth for new teachers.
Teaching from an innovative One on One tutorial/mentor setting
Science Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXFebruary 19, 2018
When the class schedule was full the need to finalize grades was demanding at times. Students had time in study hall to finish "homework" and prepare for the next session that would meet in two days later. Some took advantage of the allotted and some did not.
Pros
Love the faculty and concept of the school.
Cons
It appeared that the "paying" student ran the school.
culture culture culture!
Teacher/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJanuary 15, 2018
The culture and support of Fusion Academy is impecable! The administrative team does a great job brining everyone together. Work does not feel like work. The hardest part of the job would be the compensation, difficult to live alone and make rent with only one job.
Pros
great culture!
Cons
common miscommunication, low pay.
They will lead you on because they dont have there things together
Yoga (Former Employee) –  YogaJanuary 15, 2018
Long story short. They will lead you on and lie. Management is horrendous (at least the one in Morristown NJ). Save yourself. They had me apply and work a couple shift and after saying they would have an opening they didn't. Not worth it. Unless you enjoy working with low lives.
Pros
Cons
Lying management without business savy people
A rewarding and growth oriented workplace
Teacher/Mentor (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CADecember 5, 2017
I have been working at Fusion for the past five years and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The experience of teaching students one to one, personalizing the curriculum, and collaborating with a passionate group of coworkers challenges me each day to grow into a better teacher, mentor, and leader on campus. I have had many opportunities come across my plate due to Fusion that I would have not been able to get in other educational settings. The current growth of Fusion as a company really allows the individuals to grow as well. Throughout my five years here, there have been moments when I have requested my needs (such as financial compensation) and Fusion has always been an active listener in order to make appropriate adjustments to the employees' needs. While it does take time for change, it is the fastest change I've experienced in any educational facility I've ever worked at. Although many people see growth and change as scary or overwhelming, they are what make Fusion amazing. It always allows you to explore something new and it allows you to know that there are always better things on the horizon. I've been able to build a career, strong friendships, and a better sense of self through my work at Fusion.
Pros
Culture, Collaboration, Growth
Cons
Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fusion Academy. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight