Fusion Academy

United States184 reviews

teacherstudentteachingacademyadminclasscampusschool

Awesome place to teach

Featured review

Fusion Academy selected this as a representative review
Fusion Academy is the ultimate teacher’s dream. I feel supported and appreciate by my colleagues and administration. You use your creativity and talents every day to personalize lessons for your students. The culture is very positive and collaborative.

Pros

Catered lunches on PD days, holiday parties, camaraderie

Cons

Work hours depend on enrollment

Official response from Fusion Academy

November 8, 2021
We are so happy to hear Fusion is the ultimate teacher's dream for you! Thank you for taking the time to share your Fusion Academy experience here.

NOT flexible schedule

They ask you to have at least 24 hours of availability per week, but they don't fill them all right away. Then, if you choose to fill your time with other activities, you are expected to cancel your appointments if they do give you a student with 1 day notice.

Fusion Academy insights

• Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Supportive and Balanced

FEG has an amazing work culture. Even though I work from home, I feel close to my colleagues. After 22 years of teaching in a public school, I started this new career and most of the daily tasks were new to me. It was scary starting completely over, but the onboarding was superb and I continue to feel encouraged by my colleagues and inspired by the work I do each day.

The pay is so bad it feels disrespectful.

You make less than 1/6th of what families pay to send their kids to you to teach one class. The company only pays for 10 minutes of planning per class period. This includes grading, customizing the course, and making up activities. If you can’t get it done in ten minutes, it’s unpaid. For teachers with heavy courseloads it’s impossible to do everything in such a minuscule time slot. Company is for-profit so it makes sense but they are maximizing profit while exploiting their teachers. Turnover is really bad because people are burnt out so easily. When you realize that the vast majority (over 75%) of the money that is supposed to be covering your work is going to some investor’s pockets instead of towards your own bills and rent, it gets real hard to show up and put a smile on and be there for the kids that need you.

Pros

Culture is nice, coworkers are lovely, and management is involved with the kids

Cons

Awful pay, meetings scheduled during lunch, no pay if students are absent, have to request paid planning that doesn’t always get approved

The good and the bad

First, the good: the students are really sweet. I am enjoying creating lessons to teach them! I’ve met some of their families, and they are good people too. I like spending time with the other teachers too. I like the privacy of having my own room, and we get a lot of staff lunches too. Then, the bad: I am very concerned about the number of hours I am working off the clock. They give teachers planning time, but is laughably inadequate for all the planning and paperwork it takes to teach a class. It’s hard for me to maintain a good work/life balance, as this planning time often has to take place on my nights and weekends. I’m a part time teacher, and I have another job that I enjoy and don’t want to leave. A lot of meetings are scheduled during our lunch hour too. The legality of all this is highly questionable. The management is also pretty iffy. Before I had even started, someone had created a schedule for me without even asking my availability, and I was expected to start with no time at all to prepare (they also wanted me to not give my 2 weeks notice to my old job). One of the admins tends towards toxic traits, is very disorganized, and continues to be a problem towards me and others. I know to expect last minute schedule changes with very little warning. I just want everyone to be informed before taking a job here! I was pretty aware of all this before I even started, but I wanted to escape an even more toxic employer (ugh). Why is it so hard to find a fair and decent job?

Private school better than the public workplace. If you really want to teach!

A typical day at work is a revolving door of students from 8:30- 4:30 with an hour for lunch if there aren't any meetings. Not much time for socializing with co-workers. Sometimes I feel out of the loop. I love teaching so the company benefits me. Perfect for a retired teacher wanting to stay in the the field.

Pros

Shown appreciation as a professional.

Cons

Poor pay for a teacher with experience and master degree. Not enough planning time.

Fun and inviting community with lots of engagement

Working at Fusion Academy has been a game changer - I have felt supported, included, listened to, and given the proper resources to make sure I am doing my job correctly. Being able to spend time with students and staff and provide a break in the day for them has been the highlight of my career with Fusion.

Changing Lives

Love the culture. Every visit to every campus is full of kindness, compassion, and teachers changing lives before your eyes. The larger issues like systems and the integration are par for the course for a growing company. There are so many avenues to connect with peers to improve and grow!

Pros

People are motivated to build and grow excellent teams. Leadership is kind and eager to support.

Cons

Employees want change faster, outdated systems in some cases

Teaching as it should be

Fusion Academy helps foster a true education with students and staff. The nation-wide network provides teachers & staff growth and development. Being a teacher at Fusion allowed me to feel as if I was making an impact; the 1:1 environment provides the opportunity to work with students and foster development they otherwise would not have in a traditional environment.

Pros

Inclusive community, Room for growth, Trusting and Nurturing environment

Cons

slight learning curve

It is a supportive workplace and the fact that classroom management is almost non existent helps a lot!

Typical work day is full of one on one classes where you have to differentiate between one student to the next but you get to know them at a much more personal level. The mentoring piece does play a big role and helps a lot to get to know your student and connect much better with them.

Pros

Fun work environment and very supportive.

Cons

The PTO needs to improve for teachers, is not enough and it should be cumulative.

Pedagogical Freedom and Strong Climate but for Little Compensation

A typical workday at Fusion is truly a teacher's dream. The format is to work with students on a 1:1 basis, which means you can truly individualize the curriculum to meet a student's needs, interests, passions, or curiosities. At least on my campus, admin is supportive and really encourages us to lean into the individuality of it all. There are relevant PDs offered, curricular freedom, etc. Also, because of the 1:1 format, you are able to develop relationships with students that you can only dream about when in a public school setting. The only and biggest drawback is the pay and benefits. Fusion teachers work hourly and only when there are students enrolled to teach. If you have class on Monday from 7:30-8:30, and your next class is from 11:30-12:30, you are only getting paid for the two hours of class, not the time in between (and the hourly rate is low even compared to public school standards). What this means is that your pay can fluctuate depending on enrollment levels. This is especially frustrating when considering Fusion schools are placed in higher-income neighborhoods. Overall, I love working for Fusion because of the way the environment nurtures me as an educator. However, you will need to consider your financial situation before deciding to work here.

A school that really loves students!

Fusion Academy reflects the Love, Motivate, Teach hierarchy and does so much for the students to involve them in their education (clubs, talent contests, cooking demos, etc).I also love the one-on-one with students that allow them to grow at their own pace without feeling overwhelmed or bored. The workplace culture is awesome and everyone helps each other. They are very encouraging and fair. The only hard part is only meeting with the student 2x a week for 50 minutes each time. I love this job as it gives me the opportunity to really get to know students.

Great people to work with

The best part of Fusion is the culture. There is a growth mindset and all employees are encouraged to grow into their best selves. Serving students who need/want a customized education is meaningful and important work.

FAIRFIELD: Dead end job, horribly cliquey and fake management

At first it will seem like an ideal place to work, but it won't take long before you realize you are working like a dog, and not guaranteed regular and consistent hours in order to pay your bills. It's basically a part-time job that dries up after 8 months and you will be scrambling for work between April and September. Atmosphere is "cute", but the culture is toxic. Management either plays favorites or demeans students in private once they have moved on. No chance to move up nor advance. Avoid if you respect yourself. Turnover is insane, people leave like rats leaving a sinking ship. Such a shame.

Pros

ocasional free food, one on one model is a great way of reaching students

Cons

AD is fake and a liar who will make your life miserable if she decides she doesn't like you, you will spend literally many-MANY unpaid hours doing tons of extra paperwork

Fun staff, experienced trainers, individualized teaching a big plus.

Relaxed, inviting atmosphere, friendly to all, cooperative and helpful staff. Good access to training, excellent management. I enjoy teaching, even when it is challenging. There is sufficient support for the hard or new parts of the job.

Pros

Social outings, helpful staff, decent food when served.

Cons

Lunch hour is rarely an hour, meetings and trainings are scheduled here, even if only 30 minutes.

Wellness Matters at Fusion Academy Buckhead!

Working as a Fusion Academy Buckhead yoga teacher mentor has been an amazing part of my journey of wellness! I love the one-on-one teaching environment that allows me to tune in to what each student needs, especially as it pertains to yoga and mindfulness. The administration at Fusion Academy Buckhead has been extremely supportive in my teaching methods and has made me feel that wellness is an essential part of the curriculum. I recently transitioned from a FT to PT employee at Fusion (for pursuit of personal growth in yoga) and was met with encouragement and congratulations. I truly appreciate that level of support from administration. Overall great place to work, especially if your focus is enhancing the life of students and being an part of a growing learning environment.

Great co-workers, very poor pay and benefits.

I love working at my campus because of the people I work with. My pay as an administrator is in the bottom 25% of administrators with similar roles and other schools. There are weekly/monthly/bi-annual/yearly Fusion Ed. Group meeting which serve no purpose and actually prevent me from performing my actual work duties. As a result, I work late. Later than I normally do. Fusion as a whole structures their school system around the weakest links. Expansion was very rapid and continuous. New schools open before prior schools are fiscally solvent or even close. Doing well at Fusion and running a successful campus nets the same result as running a brand new or totally unsuccessful campus. A dichotomy at odds with the for-profit model: a capitalist education model which does not reward success. Indeed.

Good Luck Advancing

You are overworked and underpaid at Fusion. Management cares only about parent satisfaction, hence, teacher happiness and quality of academics are less of a priority. Any disagreement with management is considered to be a personal affront and you will be treated like garbage because of it. Admin acts like they are still in HS, rather than administration for HS students. They promote people based on how well they fit into the clique and most certainly NOT on the persons' merits/quality of work produced. All in all, it is a good "practice" job for teachers, but don't expect to get anyplace if you have your own opinion about anything that runs counter to admin.

Pros

Great Teacher Appreciation Week

Cons

Dead-End Job

Stressful but interesting

Every day is different. The whole school is organized around money. If you keep your head down and don’t let that bother you you’ll be fine. Just go in, do your job and leave.

Great place to work if you are not relying on income

Fusion is a great place to work. My coworkers are amazing. The only downside to the position is it is based on hours. It is a great opportunity to work with students with different backgrounds. Overall, Fusion Global Academy is a great place to work. I wish that they can give their full time teachers either salaries or guaranteed hours.

Pros

flexibility, and great management

Great culture and true 1-to-1 connection

Fusion Academy operates on a 1-to-1 model with individualized courses for each student. As a teacher, this means you can really use your expertise to meet students where they are and help them succeed. The support from leadership and other staff is incredible - truly feels like a family. Teaching at Fusion requires flexibility, creativity, and a growth mindset and has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my professional life.

Common questions about Fusion Academy

Answered by current and former employees at Fusion Academy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fusion Academy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight