Fusion Academy Employee Reviews

Smoke and mirrors. Fusion badly misses the mark
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  United StatesMay 23, 2018
The mission is powerful, worthwhile, and attracts wonderful people - the execution is about profit, smokescreens, and does not match the mission one bit. Typical day is unpredictable. Teachers schedules change frequently, since teachers are paid per hour of instruction, they will often overwork themselves when hours are available to them, which dramatically effects the quality of the education. Management is focused on the bottom line, not keeping or caring for the students/ teachers they already have. Those that play the game get promoted, and fast, meaning often they will be promoted before they are ready for the demands of the role. Culture claims to be about a happy, loving and supportive atmosphere, but it is not genuine. Admin work so hard to make it look good instead of actually doing good work. The kids are often on display for new hires and visitors, the admin carefully selects students who will say the right thing. Administrative base pay, plus bonus potential. Only 5 sick/vacation days annually for admin. The CEO is a kind man but is very out of touch with the reality of what happens on campus as when he visits only the best version is presented. The hardest part of the job is not being able to deliver on the stated mission. Most enjoyable part is the kids. I learned Fusion does not align with my personal values.
Pros
working with awesome kids that need you
Cons
Management panders to regional demands for more and more numbers instead of quality
great environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 23, 2018
I enjoyed being a teacher at Fusion. The pay is a little less than desirable considering the amount of work expected outside of class (paid planning time is not enough), but the environment made up for some of the faults. The students are great, teachers are fun, and admin very accommodating to needs of the teachers.
I was sad to leave
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2018
I worked here for almost 3 years. I loved my work there, and each day was comfortable and happy. The major reason I left was simply money; I was expected to keep my schedule open 40 hours per week, but was only scheduled to work an average of 14 hours. They tried to make this seem like a benefit- that I could easily work a second job if I wanted to. I had no choice but to work a second job-- on weekends. Otherwise I would lose potential work during the week.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Never enough hours.
The most positive high school for which one might ever teach.
English and Theatre Secondary Educator (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTApril 4, 2018
Students discuss Shakespeare one-on-one and hang out in beanbag chairs under the watchful eye of Guy Fawkes and a garden gnome. Fusion is always feeding everyone, so the environment is quite serene. What could be better?
Pros
Management, Colleagues, Students.
Cons
Hard, honest work. Gee, what a concept!
Fufilling work with decent pay
Music Instructor (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 20, 2018
Working at Fusion was a great experience - the only thing I would recommend is that Fusion Corporate gives out higher salaries. Otherwise, Fusion has a great model for learning and building confidence in young kids.
Very interesting and unique educational model
Science and Math Teacher/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 19, 2018
I truly enjoyed the Student Body. You had creative freedom to pursue the Curriculum requirements with respect to each child. They have a progressive approach to learning styles.
Pros
Nice staff and students
Cons
Management could have been stronger
Fusion Academy
Teacher and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hermosa Beach, CAMarch 5, 2018
There's lots of flexibility but a lack of ability to fill hourly teaching/schedule time.

If you're willing to dedicate your time and energy, there is opportunity for growth for new teachers.
Teaching from an innovative One on One tutorial/mentor setting
Science Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXFebruary 19, 2018
When the class schedule was full the need to finalize grades was demanding at times. Students had time in study hall to finish "homework" and prepare for the next session that would meet in two days later. Some took advantage of the allotted and some did not.
Pros
Love the faculty and concept of the school.
Cons
It appeared that the "paying" student ran the school.
culture culture culture!
Teacher/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJanuary 15, 2018
The culture and support of Fusion Academy is impecable! The administrative team does a great job brining everyone together. Work does not feel like work. The hardest part of the job would be the compensation, difficult to live alone and make rent with only one job.
Pros
great culture!
Cons
common miscommunication, low pay.
They will lead you on because they dont have there things together
Yoga (Former Employee) –  YogaJanuary 15, 2018
Long story short. They will lead you on and lie. Management is horrendous (at least the one in Morristown NJ). Save yourself. They had me apply and work a couple shift and after saying they would have an opening they didn't. Not worth it. Unless you enjoy working with low lives.
Pros
Cons
Lying management without business savy people
A rewarding and growth oriented workplace
Teacher/Mentor (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CADecember 5, 2017
I have been working at Fusion for the past five years and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The experience of teaching students one to one, personalizing the curriculum, and collaborating with a passionate group of coworkers challenges me each day to grow into a better teacher, mentor, and leader on campus. I have had many opportunities come across my plate due to Fusion that I would have not been able to get in other educational settings. The current growth of Fusion as a company really allows the individuals to grow as well. Throughout my five years here, there have been moments when I have requested my needs (such as financial compensation) and Fusion has always been an active listener in order to make appropriate adjustments to the employees' needs. While it does take time for change, it is the fastest change I've experienced in any educational facility I've ever worked at. Although many people see growth and change as scary or overwhelming, they are what make Fusion amazing. It always allows you to explore something new and it allows you to know that there are always better things on the horizon. I've been able to build a career, strong friendships, and a better sense of self through my work at Fusion.
Pros
Culture, Collaboration, Growth
Cons
Compensation
A place where students can thrive
Teacher/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILNovember 24, 2017
My time at Fusion was nothing short of amazing! A typical workday for me lasted about 4 hours and involved a mix of classroom instruction and common area supervision. I learned so much about what it means to live, love, and work with a growth mindset. Management was friendly and available, communicated frequently and thoroughly, and exhausted every resource to ensure all my needs were met. The workplace culture is fun and laid-back and feels nothing like a "typical" school from lighting and decor to class-size. The student-teacher relationship is open and inclusive and every step is taken to provide a safe environment for both the staff and students. Faculty is held to a high professional standard and most teachers easily meet and exceed those expectations. The hardest part of the job for me had little to do wit the job itself: commuting. Aside from that, I struggled early on to establish good habits as a first-time teacher like assigning consistent and content-appropriate homework. The Admin team provided me with personal coaching sessions and checked in regularly to monitor my progress which greatly improved over time. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the students connect with the content and find value in their ability and desire to learn. I strongly encourage anyone looking to teach, be you a first timer or seasoned vet, to consider Fusion Academy.
Pros
Resources
Cons
Part-Time
Business Model for School-- not so great
English Teacher and mentor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2017
Fusion is a unique idea and might serve ok for its students, but not for its teachers. Teachers have unpaid vacation days, not to mention that during the summer months, your pay really takes a dip. For as much money as the school charges for tuition, you'd think that they'd be able to offer their teachers an annual salary as opposed to an hourly wage.
Pros
Good work environment, not stingy with school supplies, good culture building
Cons
Teacher pay, job security, job advancement, healthcare
Don't work here!!!
History Teacher (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 7, 2017
Management isn't the best, Student enrollment there is continuously trending in the wrong direction. Don't expect hours if management dislikes you..
Pros
The students
Cons
Management, counselors, very clicky
Not my favorite job
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2017
Teachers are underpaid for how expensive the school is. We also did not get much training on how to deal with many of our special needs kids, some were quite disturbed. Was way too "feelings based" for my taste....meaning kids were coddled. Also found the one to one thing kind of creepy, kids and staff were way too comfortable and got too personal. Staff was clique-ish, especially admin.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
struggled to get hours
Avoid at all costs
Fmr teacher (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 26, 2017
Sounded good in theory. But, as a veteran educator, I have a wealth of knowledge and recognized immediately that I would not be at Fusion for long. Besides the awful micromanagement, the lack of diversity in this cult like establishment is a turnoff. The admin is incompetent. They can't figure out how to manage a couple rich kids. This place is a lame cult. Rich parents buying high school diplomas for their privileged children. Also, no grown person can live off the breadcrumbs they pay you. Avoid.
Pros
One to one
Cons
Everything else
Great Place to Work
Teacher/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Morristown, NJJuly 21, 2017
Wonderful place to work, co-worker and admin are helpful and unique people who are there to help you along the way!
Students are wonderful as well, understandable, and hard workers!
Cons
Part time teacher's do not get benefits
Unprofessional Scam For Rich Kids
English/Creative Writing Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 30, 2017
I found this place to be a very young crowd of people in a culture that encouraged drinking and hanging out. The work environment became toxic and the leadership was unable to navigate it in a timely fashion. Students were mostly wonderful and working one on one is a fabulous opportunity but the demographics were strictly rich people and giving anything less than a B was subject to immense scrutiny and pressure to change it.
Pros
one on one instruction
Cons
everything else
Able to make a difference
Post-Secondary Counselor (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJune 18, 2017
If you enjoy working with students and make an impact within their lives, then this is a right place. The leaders of the organization are great and compassionate and the campus director is amazing, but some of the other campus leaders lack leadership abilities.
High turnover, low pay, and demanding work load.
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 8, 2017
There's a 3% raise max, so don't expect a $1 raise for a year's work.
Benefits are poor.
They make it really difficult for new hires to get established and if you aren't doing well they will cut your hours.
Most of the staff leave for financial reasons because we love our students and the staff is pretty cool. The students have even picked up on this...
Once you are doing well, you do have a lot of freedom in the classroom.
Turns out there's no paid vacation and you only receive 24 hours of sick time per school year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fusion Academy. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight