Fusion Academy

Fusion Academy Employee Reviews

Fusion Academy insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Not Much Good To Say

Highly stressful and a constantly pushed political agenda You pretty much must be a feminist and have highly liberal views to be accepted here. Any amount of conservatism is highly frowned upon.

Pros

Free lunches, opportunities for more hours

Cons

Short breaks, lots of unpaid offsite hours, forced collaboration/group work

I was blindsided and misled. Do not work here.

I interviewed and accepted a position to be a teacher of a single subject and I was very excited! Then, only days prior to the start of school year, I was told to work over 40 hours and in 3 other class subjects that I have no background in. I told the principal that I could not provide the students with the education they deserve and pay for in those added subjects. After I advocated for myself and the students, I was told not to come into work on the first day of school. It was completely baffling, disrespectful, appalling and arbitrary. I felt completely taken advantage of as new employee. I resigned immediately and found a different school that actually respects their employees. Other things to note: I was told to use Google for my curriculum when parents pay $60,000 to send their children here.

Pros

Free lunch, nice coworkers

Cons

Morally compromising, Low hourly pay, disrespectful management, excessive workload, expensive school for unqualified tutors.

Fun workplace with youthful energy

A good start for newly grads to learn a lot of stuff about teaching. Depending on management and mentorship it can be a place where you get a great start as a starting teacher.

Pros

Inspiring workplace

Avoid at All Costs

The nature of the business puts the needs of students and teachers last. If a student may leave due to failing performance, teachers and pressured to pass the student. If a student doesn't like a teacher, they can switch and that teacher looses those hours. The model encourages the compromising of meaningful education at every level. Their is a facade of caring support, but no follow through. Considering the 40-100K tuition, this is inexcusable.

Pros

Good Coworker

Cons

Low hourly pay, incompetent management, morally compromising, inconsistent hours, no summer income, little PTO, few paid holidays, intense workload or no work at all.

More about sales than helping students

Campus staff really strives to provide support to their students, but ultimately Fusion is a corporation and upper management cares more about revenue than changing students lives. Campuses have to meet weekly quotas so they have to upsell classes and other services. Compensation is really bad compared to similar positions in the market for both teachers and administrators, which is why they hire kids straight out of college to teach other kids with learning differences with no experience whatsoever. Teachers are hourly employees and have no PTO, only 3 sick days. They get a week of spring and 2 weeks of winter break but it’s nothing close to what a teacher gets at a traditional school. Salaried employees only get 2 weeks of PTO. Fusion need to provide their employees with competitive salaries to stop or at least reduce turnover. They made $200 million last year and employees didn’t see a penny of it.

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Salary, Pto

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Personal attention

Great institution for teaching and learning, especially for students who need more flexible and more independent classes. Difficult to work as a sub because of the unpredictability.

Pros

Wonderful environment

Cons

Difficult to know my schedule.

Exploitive of families

Families are looked at as dollar signs walking through the door, rather than helping their child succeed in their education. Teachers feel threatened by their jobs when speaking out about favoritism.

Awesome place to teach

Fusion Academy is the ultimate teacher’s dream. I feel supported and appreciate by my colleagues and administration. You use your creativity and talents every day to personalize lessons for your students. The culture is very positive and collaborative.

Pros

Catered lunches on PD days, holiday parties, camaraderie

Cons

Work hours depend on enrollment

Nice environment for something to do.

Fusion is a nice place to work if you only want a few hours of work. You are expected to be available Mon-Friday during the school year. You ONLY get paid for the time you have a student on your schedule. Schedules change constantly and you better be prepared.

Pros

Nice work environment if you do not need benefits and have lots of flexibility in your schedule

Cons

Spend more hours at job without being paid than the actual only paid for time with student

Lost integrity over the years

Fusion was great until it wasn't. I started as a teacher and worked up to administration. I enjoyed working with the kids/families but unfortunately corporate doesn't value the kids the way they claim. I initially bought into the belief of student-driven instruction. After a few years though it became clear that really meant flexing the rules of what was/wasn't academically sound. Students are rushed through classes, graded on ridiculous curves, and administration is always hungry for hours. I was appalled by the lack of academic integrity.

Pros

Mentorship program

Cons

Lack of academic integrity, poor work/life balance; lower than average pay

Jobs at Fusion Academy

See more jobs

Ridiculous expectations from teachers

Fusion academy is great concept on paper but in reality there are 25-30 sessions for a year worth of course load which basically means they are only committed to handing out degrees and not actual education. Admins are only focused on showing high hours taught to upper management and passing off their work to hourly paid teachers. Homework cafe does not keep track of student HW as they should and pass the work to teachers. Teachers are expected to contact and reschedule class with parents on “sick day”. Teachers are forced to stay in school unpaid for hours of gap between classes. No benefits.

Pros

Great one on one work with students

Cons

Horrible management

hours not reliable

Wish they could guarantee full-time hours. However it is a good place to work part-time if you are still in school or have other responsibilities. Also, the people are really friendly!

Room for advancement and learning

If you're a new teacher or relaunching yourself into education, Fusion is great. There has certainly been turnover to find the right fits in the school and you'll see from the review the not great Fusion fits. Those are the reviews that value every cent, sorry guys, education might not be for you, because it's not just Fusion.Fusion's rate is comparable and you set your hours. There's an increase every year and tons of ways to make money beyond teaching. Sept-June you can make serious overtime if you're willing to put the work in (many are not and think they are entitled to it). Summer is very light, but there is a bonus structure for teachers that stay and it helps fill some of that pay gap.I've seen it first hand of the people that think of it as a job and not a vocation, teaching is a calling, we're here for them. You can use it as a stepping stone to your next step and you will learn A LOT about different learning profiles that will benefit you beyond Fusion.

Pros

Overtime, holiday pay, half-day Fridays or off on Fridays

Cons

Hourly not Salary

For the Love of Children and Teens.

Everyday I enter work energized with a mission to touch and impact the lives of others in a positive way. The environment is charged with people who want the best for children and teens. Please come filled and ready to be rewarded by the partnership you make with your peers and the growth of the students. Leadership is ready and willing to support you in service.

Pros

Caring Team, opportunity for growth and rewarding work.

Stressed!

I enjoy working with the students. Management expects a lot! The culture here is very strange! No one tells you what to do and if you have made any mistakes!

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Lunches are unhealthy

Fusion Miami is one of my favorite jobs. The work is rewarding, the students are great, and my colleagues are knowledgeable and kind. There is a very welcoming atmosphere at work, and the administration team always checks in to make sure we feel supported. It is rewarding to use my strengths each day at work and teach at a school that values the academic and personal successes of the students and teachers. Adjusting to the amount of planning needed for each class is challenging at first but after 3 months you develop a good flow. I would highly recommend working here.

Meaningful and Driven school

As a seasoned educator (over 7 years in education and library services), I found Fusion to be a refreshing and meaningful place of work. Fusion is a school dedicated to kids for whom the usual school model does not fit. This includes students of all ages, backgrounds, and learning differences. Each class is one-on-one and allows a large amount of personalization for each student and lesson. The dedication the other teachers, educators, mentors, and management shows to each student has been a breath of fresh air. There is quick and easy communication with department heads and the administration, and feedback or support comes swiftly. There is a vibrant, positive attitude encouraged among the faculty that can sometimes come off as too bright or sunny (especially for an introvert!), but the experience is nice.While the pay could better suit the area, and you must reach at least 30 hours consistently over a long period of time to qualify for benefits, the joy and fulfillment received from helping students is its own reward. Seeing the transformation or blossoming of various students over the years has been incredible!

Pros

work culture, communication, students

Cons

finding time for planning

Good Environment for Teachers Who Want Flexibility

My experience a Fusion was mostly positive. Lots of flexibility in what I teach, plenty of room to grow as a teacher or into management, and a campus culture that stands way above any other I've experienced. Teachers in general are undervalued in our culture and don't make 100K a year, so to complain about what teachers get paid at any school is overlooking that this is an overarching societal problem that we as a country need to address. This school is not for everyone and people who need a more traditional environment don't do well at Fusion. Most of the teachers who thrive at Fusion don't have the conservative "I'm the authority figure, the CEO of the classroom and therefore I am all knowing and you must obey me" attitude towards teaching. I think if you want that, you should go teach at a Catholic school. Fusion's attitude is to give everyone (especially every student) a chance, including teachers. I've seen somewhat unskilled teachers get promoted into management, mostly because they want to grow and higher-ups encourage that growth process. But you don't have to be a great teacher to be a good manager and vice verse. People do leave for higher paying jobs and that sucks, but the pay is decent. That was not why I left. Overall, the disgruntled people who I have seen leave are typically people who are angry in general, not just at the job. They might be in the wrong profession and unable to face that, or their ego needs are unfulfillable by any institution. I give Fusion credit for valuing teachers and helping them to do well along the way. You definitely have to be -

Pros

fun smart people to work with and great student body

Cons

Long days

Do not work here

Poor work environment. You can’t fail a student. The pay is terrible and the schedule is always changing. Some people in management are very nice and others are not. If your looking for part time work it’s a fine place to work.

No discipline

The location is great with many ways of getting their (train, bus,...). Most students don’t want to be there. They have no passion for studying, they don’t do their assignments or hand them late and they expect teachers to be doing all of their work for them instead of letting you properly show them how. They give them all As telling them they are geniuses while in fact they are 5 to 6 classes behind their knowledge. They are unfortunately sending these kids to college, without giving them a true foundation (very scary).They give them so many false excuses (sickness, identity...) to why they are not doing well. I believe they can do well at another private school where they value education, hold students accountable for their actions and grade them based on their true work instead of sugar coating them or bumping their attendance grade to replace their poor scores on their exams and quizzes. Parents will make the school give them As no matter what. Additionally, the rate is too low for the amount of work you have to do and they want you to be teaching more than one classes for the price of one.If you value education like me, fusion is the worst place to be at and I wouldn’t jeopardize any students’ future by sending them there.

Pros

Cons

Too many meetings, No support, undermine your grading, micromanage, low pay rate, many work outside of class...

Potentially good for students, certainly bad for teachers

The good: lots of latitude to teach your own way and to adapt and grow as an educator, as there are lots of different types of students with different strengths and weaknesses. some of your colleagues are interesting and helpful, and there is a generally positive sense of collaboration and mission on the jobThe bad: pay and benefits are laughable; this is particularly egregious in areas with higher costs of living. the bureaucratic rules concerning room decor (your room WILL look like a junior executive's office, or else), language use, and deference to management are so stiflingly inflexible they forced me to reconsider that year I spent in a Soviet gulagThe ugly: management will exploit your expertise and dedication to your students (many of whom are wonderful young people who genuinely need your help). underneath the smiles and the sunny jargon about acceptance and celebration there is genuine malice here: management is rewarded for meeting enrollment goals while minimizing campus costs, including teacher compensation; in other words, management's interests are adverse to teacher's interests, as they are rewarded for overworking and underpaying their teachers. others have mentioned how cliquish and arbitrary management can be, and if anything the issue is understated. this is a perverse scheme as the individuals who provide the organizational value that the product that Fusion sells is predicated upon (the teachers) are regarded and compensated far less than the managers, whose responsibilities (as far as I can tell) seem to consist solely of making sure there is fresh -

Pros

flexibility in teaching students

Cons

lousy pay, arbitrary and inflexible regulations, truly awful managerial structure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fusion Academy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss