Futures Academy

Futures Academy Employee Reviews

After a year and a half they only give a maximum 3% raise yearly, no benefits because ALL teachers are part time. Admin is salary so they don't care about teachers paychecks. They will promise hours but will not be able to follow through. Management is only concerned about numbers, not about the students education or the teachers. There IS NO ADVANCEMENT! There were coworkers who worked 40 hours a week and have not advanced beyond their limited roles. The name has changed from Halstrom to Futures and soon will change. They allow children with mental disabilities but do not train on how to interact with them. IF YOU WANT a job with little commitment and low pay it's perfect. Starting pay for teachers is $21hr roughly with Bachelors and a little more for Masters. Another coworker made $27 with EDD.
Pros
Occasional lunch once a month or so, free time, diverse children, flexibility.
Cons
30 min breaks unpaid, create your own curriculum, no regard for students education, inconsistent hours, business oriented, empathetic to personal issues
I've worked for two years, and I am so grateful I was hired. This culture is so positive, caring, and so many people have gone out of their way to help me. The company truly cares about your career and where you want to go. The managers have so many conversations with you about what motivates you to help you achieve your goals. After every event, Q&A, all-hands, there's an option to leave feedback and the feedback is actually read and action is taken.As soon as COVID-19 was getting serious, Indeed was one of the first companies to implement a mandatory work-from-home policy. Our healthy and safety came first, and I felt so lucky our company had the opportunity to make that decision. Since the WFH policy, our CEO, COO, and SVP of HR have been INCREDIBLE with transparency, being here for us and communicating to us more than I've ever seen.I feel valued, heard, and my work means something when I am at Indeed.
I have been with this company over 5 years, in 3 different positions (there is room to grow and develop within the company, and opportunity for advancement). The team here really believes in the company mission statement and works hard to bring energy and innovation to education. This job gives me a real sense of satisfaction, which is important to me.Our campus teams are all dedicated to providing safe, enriching environments for our students, and the creative lessons I have seen from so many of our teachers is truly inspiring. We regularly develop new classes, such as the Science of Happiness course, which are unique and help our students grow both academically and individually. The leaderships teams are supportive and responsive, constantly working to improve and build our program. Leadership is open with their communication and welcomes feedback - there are regular meetings across multiple locations, and a teacher advisory council set up specifically to ensure the teachers have a voice. I love being part of such a dedicated and passionate group. Every supervisor I've had here has made an effort to help me develop professionally, and there is a great support system of colleagues across our 16 locations. I feel supported and valued as an employee here, and am excited to be part of this company as we continue to grow.
Pros
Room for advancement, flexibility, good communication, company is growing, great leadership
I have worked at Futures Academy for 2 years now. The staff members and Admin are very supportive, flexible and understanding. When COVID came to California, I had friends who worked for other schools and they were having a rough time. Because how Futures Academy is designed, we were able to make the transition over night without skipping a beat. I feel like we have more students now than ever. Although I miss my colleagues in person, it is actually much easier to get in contact with them and the studnets are actually striving.
During the recent corona virus pandemic, the teachers and students at Futures (Huntington Beach) were sent home from the main campus to conduct online training. Surprisingly, the students and teachers never missed a class during a transition that crippled the public school system. Most of the teachers were technically proficient in online training anyway so it was simply a matter of changing from the main campus to our homes. What we did not know how to do was filled in quickly and responsively by our local campus administrators, including troubleshooting technical problems such as slow internet connections, books not loading online, etc. While we can all complain that we would like to receive more money (which is a common complaint in any industry), the bottom line here is that we were all still employed during this pandemic and were gently guided by top notch administrators to expand into areas that we'd never done before.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
I love my students and my management team, however the pay is very low compared to other positions that have a similar skill set. If the pay was more commensurate with other companies and summer programs it would be a fantastic company to work for.
Pros
Great location
Cons
low pay
As someone who has a passion for teaching and has multiple degrees in education, this place ruined education for me for many reasons. I hated going to work here. If you are not on the campus director's side and/or have spoken up for yourself, she will gaslight, micromanage, and bully you into a corner. She calls teachers stupid and dumb, or that "they'll be the end of her." Besides the toxic culture, she will advertise that you have a flexible schedule, but be very passive aggressive when you do try to change your schedule during the quarter. She won't change your schedule for you. She won't give you your required preps and she will make you do more things outside of your job description and responsibility but never appreciate it. In regards to students, if you need additional help, the management is extremely condescending and rude to the point where you feel like you can't ask for help anymore. The directors do not empower nor trust teachers, and you will always feel that you cannot do things on your own as a teacher. She will yell at you in front of all the directors and quite frankly the other students/teachers. She will blame you for things she has done wrong and ask you to fix them. You can't even put posters on the wall without her permission! Pay is abyssal, and only a dollar raise after every year. You do have sick benefits, but the management will never tell you that and hide that from you. With all that being said, the brightest part of my day was working with the amazing students and other teachers. Because we had such a bad experience with management, - more...
At a all-staff regional meeting we were told by the corporate management team to share our great experiences on indeed.com but not to post if we had negative things. When your company has as high of a turn over rate at Halstrom/Futures you would hope that would help. Another teacher and I quit, walked out quit (we both have never done that before), because a kid had a knife at school and the management who is sooooo worried about appearances did nothing but take the knife away. This kid said he planned on hurting another student with it, and all he got was "talked to." A few teachers and I had to persuade the three management team members to follow policy, as this is a huge safety concern for students and teachers. They did not, so some of us quit that day. Our safety and our self-value were not met with concern, so we left. Management were trying to down play this occurrence: expelling a kid means losing money and maybe even other students whose parents found out and how the adults in charge handled it. This was an extreme example with actual physical harm as a possibility, not something that happened everyday; the attitude and leadership style was exactly the same for minor everyday issues that happen in work environment and school setting. Oh yeah-- no opportunity for growth, low wages, and unpredictable schedule. Don't waste your time if to try and help solve problems, that takes having to state problems to management who will deem you as "negative." Super political work space, too. Teachers will get a-talking-to if they give students anything less - more...
The only plus sides of being part of the administration team is that you have consistent hours and you learn ALOT. However, the stress and pressure made this job miserable. The campus director was only worried about numbers and rankings with the company ergo she displaced any frustration with such directly on any other admins/directors on her team. There was no sense of standard administrative etiquette, deadlines were rushed and unachievable, tasks were often repeated because it was never to her liking, also she consistently bad mouthed previous/current employees, and often raged when plumbing/technology/building fouls would happen. It was very hard to focus and provide quality of work with her poor attitude. She wanted to look good meanwhile making others feel bad and underappreciated. Don't get me started on her territorial-ism about the schedule. Otherwise, the remote team in SoCal was great to work with. They were very responsive and helpful. Teachers and other supportive directors were very awesome to work with. The campus director - unfortunately- ruined my experience with this school or more so...company.
The worst place I’ve ever worked! The management is horrible. The Director constantly yells at her employees, and students. No respect for anyone. I remember having anxiety because of management. Even if you report the Director to corporate they won’t do anything about it because she’s a better sales person than a Director and that’s all Futures cares about MONEY!
No benefits. No one gets more than 25 hours per week unless you were a manager. You only get paid when you are with a student and you could have a 9 am and a 3 pm and nothing in between so nearly impossible to get a second job. Not possible to live on salary which is about half the hourly wage you would make teaching full time in the private/public sector. They say you can get benefits if you teach 32 or more hours a week but they make sure you never get that many hours. So zero benefits. Good collaboration and as constant faculty meetings.
Our campus is amazing group of professionals who love to teach and impact kids. 1:1 education is amazing way to impact kids in a very real way. This is far and away the best work environment I have worked in.
Management is terrible and there isn’t a single staff member there that knows how to communicate which makes working and learning there very very very difficult.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Campus director is dishonest. Lies to you, parents, and students to cover up her mistakes. Yells at you in front of students, no concern for her employee's wellbeing. Will make you teach classes you are unqualified for to prevent students from dropping out, compromises students' education. If you are not on her good side, expect minimal hours with holes in your schedule.
too many unpaid hours ambiguous directions complex CMS system full of errors not adequate training for many classes unfair distribution of work to teachers
Pros
nice people
Cons
no breaks
Absolutely horrible, the management team are totally rude and constantly bully students and the other teachers are extremely underpaid and do not recieve ample benefits.
Cons
The staff members are extremely friendly and helpful. They are a very supportive environment. I am proud to belong to such an amazing group of people.
Pros
Very skilled at communication. Friendly work environment
the job started at 800,30 minutes break and 1 hr lunch and we would finish at 1600. the management was good and it encouraged us to strive for the best. the culture at this company was result based and it pushed us to achieve set goals
They greatly take advantage of the teachers, many teachers are forced to teach subjects they are not familiar with. Most time you are told to give the student a higher grade then they earned.
Pros
Most students are really great kids
Cons
poor pay and no advancement
I've held a few different positions in my two years at Halstrom Academy, and because of that I can honestly say that this company cares about its people. The management makes an effort to place their staff in positions where their abilities will be best utilized, and it matters to them that their staff is happy. In my experience, management are all very approachable and openly communicative, which is a huge plus. There is regular feedback so you are always aware of where you are doing well and where you can improve - but there is a lot of support in place to help those improvements happen. There is regular training for all staff, frequent communication about any changes in policies, procedures, technology, curriculum, etc., and periodic meetings where people can share ideas and get to know the staff at other locations (there are 15 throughout California, not counting the home office). This company is in a state of growth, which means things are busy, and there is a strong push towards building a sense of community amongst our many campuses and sharing of information is very simple internally. Everyone has access to all of the support they need, and there is a strong sense of camaraderie when we get together. This is an excellent place for people looking for a career, not just a job.
Pros
supportive management, growth opportunities
No place is perfect. No person/boss/colleague is perfect. But Halstrom Academy comes close. I love my fellow teachers and colleagues. They truly care about learning and their students. It's an exceptional place to teach. The leadership team gets education -from CEO to campus director - they visit classrooms, ask for input, and take action to improve our campus. I'd highly recommend Halstrom Academy as a place to work or to send students who learn better outside a traditional school.
Pros
Great culture; exceptional management & leadership team; fair & focused
Cons
No cons really. If you're looking for 'just a job' - not for you!
  1. Employee Reviews