G4S Employee Reviews

Found 5,102 reviews matching the search See all 9,142 reviews
Good paycheck but poor management skills.
Armed Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLNovember 14, 2018
G4S is a good place to work if your goal is to be there temporarily and seek another higher qualified job such as police officer or corrections officer, or if your retired and receive pension and do it part time. Poor management and company doesn't care about safety of their employees.
Pros
Decent paycheck
Cons
Poor management. Poor safety concern.
I have nothing to say
Upscale Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Prineville, ORNovember 13, 2018
I have nothing to say that is good about this company. I do not think I would ever work at a company like this again. This position was not fore me. I do appreciate that time they took to train me and the time I spent working for them at that time in my life.
Stagnant workplace with poor management
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Moncks CornerNovember 13, 2018
Working is very laid back. Though it is a plus, it is not worth the aggravation for what you put up with. Management is quite poor when it comes to getting proper supplies, uniforms, and taking care of company vehicles.
They also struggle when it comes to dealing with issues between employees. Some of the employees onsite are great to work with the exception who get rewarded for their mediocrity and laziness while believing themselves to be superior to others. Yet management would rather deal with those problem children by caving into them giving them what they want all while ignoring the effort put in by quality people.
All in all, if you’re looking to collect a paycheck while surrounding yourself in mismanagement and a stagnant environment while being ill-equipped, this place is for you. If you believe you have any kind of value and drive, avoid this site at all costs. It’s not worth your best effort.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Poor management, ill-equipped, and lazy, unprofessional brats are your coworkers.
The Hardest Part Of The Job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 13, 2018
The hardest part about this job is not knowing if you are doing things right. At the site i am at, training is very short and they will look down on you for not knowing things
Pros
great for college students
Cons
training needs improvment
Does not consider employee
Security Officer CPL (Blackstone) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2018
I have worked for G4S at three different sites for over seventeen years without a break in service. During this seventeen years of service I have had good evaluations. In this seventeen year period I only had one call off and one tardy. On my present assignment my salary is less and my benefits are less than they were seventeen years ago.
Pros
Did not practice age discrimination
Cons
Do not appreciate employees past job performance
relaxed work environment with flexible scheduling.
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 11, 2018
There is a lack of training for the job. There is also a lack of solid management for the position. The management team is randomly chosen. There is no set promotion schedule or plan to follow.
Pros
relaxed oversite
Cons
lack of skilled workers.
No work life balance
Private Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WINovember 11, 2018
Refused to transfer me to open sites closer to my home, constantly understaffed. Some weeks I worked 32 hrs, other weeks 60 hours. If your relief doesn't show up, you're forced to stay until they find someone to come in. Constant call offs. Pay increase only with contract increase.
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Understaffed. Underpaid. Unable to advance.
Need more compinsation
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 11, 2018
I was sick for a time earlier in the year and they held my job. Pay or compensation should be better. There seams to be more concerned about the client than the employee.
Pros
Cons
No breaks or lunch periods.
Not a good place to work.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 11, 2018
I worked at G4S at different sites for probably 6 years or so. Every site I was at could not keep a Supervisor, let alone steady employees. I have worked for several different Security Companies. They are all the same. I got tired of all the BS and finally left. Best decision I have ever made.
Horrible
Uso (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 11, 2018
Very poorly managed . I do not recommend anyone working for this company . Especially in the Philadelphia area , they do not know how to run things here .
Pros
Cons
Poorly managed
Job stability is solid, but internal advancement is based on office politics
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego County, CANovember 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time with G4S and would consider returning; however, I would necessarily need to be hired to my desired terminal position. I was very disappointed in the office politics given I had a history with this company as they were a vendor to one of my past employers.
Pros
Clients seem to truly care for assigned officers
Cons
Office politics impact advancement of highly qualified candidates
Worst schedules I've ever seen...
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Gray Court, SCNovember 9, 2018
I had a friend refer me to this job and I applied. I was hired on as second shift (4pm-12pm) at $13.00/hr to work a gate, that's the good part. I should have known something was off when I wasn't really even interviewed I was just asked if I could work second shift and if I had any questions about the job. But, anyways... when I was getting interviewed I was told that I would get 2 days off a week and was told NOTHING about possibly being thrown on 12 hour shifts every week (8pm-8am) and working for over 7 days in a row. That becomes rough after doing that weeks on end and you have a family at home to take care of. I understand being short staffed, but you can't have such an inconsistent schedule and expect to keep people.
Pros
Somewhat laid back & decent pay.
Cons
Literally everything else.
It was a good place to work
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 9, 2018
G4S is a good company to work for. They reward you for your hard work and they work with you reguarding certain problem you may have.It just that there are no health insurance, you have to get your own.
Don't apply here
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Salem, NCNovember 9, 2018
Not a good place to work. Management only looks out for themselves, and are too busy fighting over whom will get final say. Insurance is way to expensive, deductible too high. They will not stand behind you if you get hurt. Demoted me and cut pay after I got was medically excused from walking, without first discussing situation with me.
Pros
nothing
Cons
management, benefits
The Worst Job I Have Ever Worked in My Adult Life
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Whiting, INNovember 9, 2018
The job culture at G4S' BP Refinery site was abysmal. The permanent, "union" employees were so horrible to us temporary employees. The majority of them were rude and nasty at every chance. There were major problems with being able to access the restroom. There was a very large guy in charge of the vehicle who was unable to stand for long periods of time, so he did not want to relinquish the vehicle so that us ladies could use the restroom. When we got to the restroom at Gate 42, there was a permanent employee who would go in the restroom and whistle and sing so as to prevent us from using the restroom. There were oftentimes where we were lied on by one temporary worker and a supervisor for spiteful reasons. There is a supervisor with her child working at this site, and a worker who works with his girlfriend. That is a conflict of interest. I hated it.
Pros
Decent compensation (However, this amount reduced by $2/hr if you stayed on permanently).
Cons
Joib culture, Hateful employees who were afraid that non-union workers would take their jobs, No good access to restrooms, Ineffective Project Manager.
Vendor Administrator (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CANovember 8, 2018
great place to work with good pay. also the benefits are good and the office is well ran. there is a lot of opportunity and advancement with G4S. overall a great pa
functionable
CPO (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2018
if you have a good work ethic and don't need to be directly supervised then only seeing your supervisor once every few months is okay, but it makes it difficult to to get job advancements, they are willing to let you work as much as you can handle or in some cases you are simply scheduled alot of extra overtime. great for single people who dont have much else to do but if you ever need time off its a massive hassle to get it off even for bereavement leave. overall i feel it comes down to the management you work under. The office i worked in was poorly managed.
Pros
plenty of overtime
Cons
poor managment in some offices, difficult to get time off when its needed
Supportive
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bay AreaNovember 6, 2018
Supportive company, will work with you to get promoted if you put the work in. Overhead staff is friendly. Better ran and more organized that most other security companies.
A great company to work for. Felt appreciated.
Armed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2018
When i was employed by G4s i felt as though you worked for a legitimate 5star company because the level of RESPECT & COMMAND which was present. I remember the fps felt THE LEVEL OF AUTHORITATIVE PROFESSIONALISM that came w/this company thus trickling down towards the officers of G4S.
We felt Respected..thanks to G4S.
Pros
Exemplarism from top which trancended to Armed Guards.
Cons
Wished the contract was longer than the 5yrs allowed
Not an easy place to work with.
Security Officer at Amazon (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MANovember 5, 2018
Low wages, inconsistent management, horrible hours/mandated overtime. Company no longer holds an office in New England i believe. Was injured on the job and company never covered my hospital visit under workmans comp.
Pros
Multiple positions for cross training opportunites.
Cons
Short breaks, Lack luster management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K

1.9InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight