G4S Employee Reviews for Custom Protection Officer

Featured review
G4S selected this as a representative review
great place to work,
Lima Ohio (Former Employee) –  Security officerNovember 10, 2011
This Company does take care of it Employees, and the benefits are great, the pay is real good, and advancement is promising
Pros
excellent pay, good benefits
Boring and unfulfilling
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  River Rouge, MIApril 17, 2019
If you are straight out of high school or in college you should apply. Otherwise, find something else. You wouldn't be Abe to take this job seriously.
G4S Review
Custom Protection Officer (CPO) (Current Employee) –  Willowbrook, ILApril 16, 2019
G4S is a great place to work for getting into the security profession. This company provides great training and a lot of opportunities. Also, it is a great stepping stone to further one's career in security and investigations.
Pros
Job Stability, Higher Pay Than Average, Excellent Training and Support
Pay cut
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Arden, NCApril 14, 2019
G4S cut my pay without any warning and did so without discussing the future earnings. Even after signing a contract on how much I would be making, the pay cut went against it and caused me to live below the surrounding areas cost of living.
Pros
Working with pretty awesome vets
Cons
Pretty much everything else
I made a lot of money
Custom Protection Officer/ Security Operater (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 13, 2019
In the beginning it was an awesome experience. The potential to make money is endless but if you mess up they will get rid of you! Poor Management team.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Your just a number to the company! Poor management
Bad experience
Armed Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 7, 2019
didn't get paid for over a month. They blamed it on the Hurracaine. They were woefully unprepared for Hurracaine security coverage. Very disorganized.
Pros
Like their uniforms
Cons
Management sucks
Could be better and could be worse
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 6, 2019
Like all contract security positions, your outlook on the company and overall work is mainly based on which contract you are assigned to. I had relatively low expectations for this job based on previous experiences with other contract security positions.

First problem was the job posting. It stated that the position(s) paid a certain amount, when in fact none of them came close to that specific pay rate. If you're going to post an opening, post it with the correct pay rate. On the plus side, they did offer a variety of positions for me to choose from and the pay is on the higher end compared to other companies.

Training was detailed enough to prepare you for the job and it's duties. Uniform and equipment are supplied to you, which is always a plus and something you don't see at all companies.

I'll reiterate that your rating of this company will depend on which contract/site you are at. When it came to my specific site, duties were simple (which can be good or bad). I was basically a secretary for the first couple hours of my shift. Checking visitors in and notifying employees of their deliveries and visitors. The rest was filled with aimless rounds inside and out of the property. I had control of monitors with several cameras placed around the property. The job became so easy and dull that I became complacent. The schedule I was handed gave me very little time for personal life. On some occasions, I'd be assigned shifts that I was never asked if I could do in the first place. Communication between patrol, security control, and management was almost non-existent. All
  more... in all, it's a decent job, but not one you want to stay at for long, unless it's your only option...

Never once did I have a problem with an upset/angry employee, visitor, or passerby. This is a good thing most of the time, but at least for me, I need some action to keep the job interesting and make it feel like I'm actually doing something productive.

Hardest part was zero PTO until you were working there for a year. I don't know how they expect people to work a full year without at least a couple days of vacation or even sick leave.

Lastly, they would preach to everyone about how there were bonuses given out, based on how you performed at your job. I knew a few guys, who were there for a long period of time without ever getting this so called bonus. It's tough to work for a company who doesn't follow their word...
Pros
Friendly co-workers, easy work (can also be a con), plenty of contracts to work for, decent pay
Cons
No PTO until a year of employment, poor communication, poor schedule
Bad company
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 2, 2019
I had to leave the company in Colorado Springs to relocate to go back home and I returned all my gear to the office and a lady was there and started yelling at me and cussing at me and treating me like I was back in the military. Very rude and disrespectful people and bad customer service skills.
The Site Assigned
Custom Protection Officer/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 1, 2019
The first site I worked was Studio Movie Grill. Usually there was little to nothing to do. However, an occasional fight or disagreement between Management and the public, at which time Security would intervene. Most of the time the Security presence would deescalate a situation before it got out of hand.

The final site I worked was at a financial facility. On day shift we basically dealt with medical emergencies or escorting terminated employees from the premises.
As 3rd Shift Supervisor, I ensured all company vehicles were gassed and ready for the following day. Routine maintenance was noted and passed up the chain of command to be performed. Monitored 10 lobbies either by camera or by Security Officers at 5 different building locations. Oversaw up to two Security Officers in the Command Center and two mobile patrol Officers. I was also in charge of ensuring all Daily Activity Reports were properly filed from every Security Officer who worked, at every building, on every shift, every day.
Pros
Close to home and decent pay.
Cons
Client micro-managed constantly.
Required a lot of responsibilities
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMarch 22, 2019
A typical day at work started with patrolling building and outside perimeter as well as two parking lots.

Interact with and get to know people from nearby neighborhoods who are conducting business with social services

I learned to be patient with others and listen to complaints and problems so that there was a peaceful compromise.
Pros
No weekend work
Cons
Unfortunately for me, there was upper management that mistreated and took advantage of lower level employees.
Depending on the facility depends on your experience.
Custom Protection Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 22, 2019
I was a Flex Officer so I worked at 5 different hospitals for any of the 3 different shifts. On Thursdays I would receive my schedule for the following week which would start on Mondays and end on Sundays.
Each hospital had its own atmosphere. One had about 6 to 9 officers per shift and the pace would be low and the job would require of escorting vagrants off property. The second would have 2 to 4 officers on per shift and it would require processing visitors through security. It would also require the officers to restrain highly-combative mentally-ill patients and the officers would either have nothing to do or be extremely busy. The third would have 3 to 4 officers per shift and they would have to deal with patients and visitor complaints or issues. The atmosphere was more of a customer service. The forth only had one officer per shift and every shift was extremely relaxed. Nothing ever really seemed to be an issue. The last hospital had 10 to 14 officers per shift and it included taking care of vagrants, combative patients, security processing, and visitor/customer service. The pace was fair and the officers were very coordinated.
Pros
Over time was always available.
Cons
self-defense was really difficult to justify against aggressive visitors or patients.
Work by yourself
CPO (Custom Protection Officer) (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 19, 2019
Good company and a pretty easy job, but can be busy at times. Interact with residence of the community that you control entry to. The pay is good for the work done, but not enough to pay all the bills
Pros
easy job
Cons
pay
Good Place to work for
Custom Protection Officer (CPO) Armed (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 19, 2019
Poor Management. Managing staff is poor, based on this they have a high turn over rate. Difficulty in keeping staff, they move on to better jobs. Work schedule is unstable.
Pros
Cons
Poor management. Work schedule is always uncertain
Great place to work. Advancement is limited in this market
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 19, 2019
I love G4S and always will.

It is a great place to work at and the environment could not be better.

There are great people to work with, but like all places, there are some prima donnas who think they are above the rules and there are their enablers who let them get away with it, not on occasion, mind you, which is one thing (don't we all get a break now and again?) but all the time. Then, they get promoted!

Anyways, top flight training via the Institute and a great work environment.

Oh, yeah, work in a big market, not a small one because advancement isn't possible if there is no where for you to go and people are sitting on their posts forever.
Pros
Great place!
Cons
No advancement in a small market.
Barely tolerable
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  MSMarch 18, 2019
As a current employee of G4S, they have no class. I applied for a position, was promised at least a phone call, and two months later no phone call. Management doesn't know if the position was filled, or when the position will be filled.so the best way to describe communication at G4S is a black hole-- it is sucked up into nothingness. We are threatened with fines if we're ever late, we must enter arrival and departure times into a computer that's constantly telling us that we are late when we are not. The computer doesn't even know our current shift times.
The best and most experienced officers eventually receive the lowest pay and positions. It's sad.
background
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 14, 2019
wen you apply it take entirely to long for a background to come back. Its like they are sitting o it and trying to see how long you going to wait. it should not take two weeks for a background especially if you just left another company
Client based security company
Custom Protection Officer/Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 7, 2019
A good job right out of college or the military. They have several clients and various security positions that conduct various levels of safety and security measures.
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 6, 2019
I have nothing bad to say. Overall, I would recommend this company as a good start in security. There are far worse security companies. It just depends on your level of security as well as what you want out of the work.
It's a job
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 2, 2019
I was only with them for six months, alot of different attitudes depending on which contract you work, way too many chiefs. I was promised in a verbal pre-employment agreement on certain things and when it came to pass, everyone had memory loss. My equipment didn't fit me and no one seemed to care. Alot of long hours to poor pay. It's a good starter job but not a place to stay long as a guard. Your previous experience and education doesn't matter, you all get the same. Lots of back stabbing on no help from the main office, they are disconnected and well paid.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Management and Pay
Tell you one this and do another
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 28, 2019
Be sure to ask about training pay as what they tell you what you will make and what you actually get is a lie. You hire in full time and the work you part time. They wont disclose information like you have to move up to het a higher wage. You would think a 30 year vet would have a leg up in position, but nope. Project manager will tell give you one schedule then change it without notice. Acts as though having family and a personal life is an inconvenience. I wouldn't work for a company that wont tell you the truth or treats you like they know better. Look someplace else other then this company.
Cons
Work schedules, pay, respect and honesty
Work
Custom Protection Officer/ Bank Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 27, 2019
Good company. Pay should be increase. Able to transfer if you want to move out of sate. Manage was OK to work with most of the time. Meet lots of interesting people.
Pros
Stability
Cons
No enough pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.8K
42.9K
32.6K
21.1K
11.3K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at G4S.

Powered by Comparably