G4S Employee Reviews for Security Officer

Featured review
G4S selected this as a representative review
great place to work,
Lima Ohio (Former Employee) –  Security officerNovember 10, 2011
This Company does take care of it Employees, and the benefits are great, the pay is real good, and advancement is promising
Pros
excellent pay, good benefits
Poor Environment
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  AlabamaApril 22, 2019
Management is lacking at best. This is a starter job or one for retirees, but not so much if you want to advance. Bosses cover up sexual harrassment complaints, don't investigate alligations, and reprimand a whistleblower. All in all, I wouldn't suggest this company unless survival depends on it and you have no other options.
Dont work there - sarasota location
security (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 22, 2019
If you are in need of a job or new career have at it, but they will say whatever to get you to agree to work for them. Then once you start no matter what you signed as for work location or type of work weather it be armed, unarmed or at a court house, they do not abide by those as they will stick you in a guard house or gated community patrolling. Then if you decide that you dont want to work for them, the supervisors in charge at the sarasota location will then get angry and literally start talking down to you and create lies saying that you did this or did that or said this or said that about the company which is not true. I was in a class with 5 people none of which I ever talked to except while in class with them. When I decided I did not want to work there due to the lies and poor leadership, supervisors accused me of planning that the whole time and bad mouthing the company etc etc. Then after I left, refused to pay me for the hours I had worked up to that point, saying I did not work those hours and there is no proof. I contacted their legal department and he told them the same thing that I am not getting paid as I didnt work there and etc etc. After about an hour the legal departments supervisor called me to inform me that they would be paying me according to the contract I signed in the beginning despite what the supversior said as it was illegal for him to not pay me because I left the company after week and half. The trainers were great, the office ladies were great, the supervisors in charge of the sarasota office are unethical, lie, and try shady things behind employees  more... back and get away with it. However their own legal department is amazing in helping employees in these situations. I have over 10 years law enforcement experience and never been seen more unethical conduct than here  less
Pros
Hire with no experience
Cons
Break agreements, lies, treat you like trash when you want something better.
Unethical, Unprofessional, Ignorant on company practices
Upscale Security Officer (Former Employee) –  AlabamaApril 22, 2019
I was hired as a USO. Before taking the job and leaving my current employer, I made sure that a 25 year old misdemeanor would not be an issue. After being told that my background was clear, I happily went through training and arrived on site. One month into working without issue and praises ask around, I recieved a call telling me the ws an issue with my background. That 25 year old misdemeanor ws an issue and I could no longer work for that company. Im really glad I found out they were this dishonest early on before I had too much invested with them. I only wish I'd have kept applying for other work while I was there so I wouldn't be behind financially. If you are thinking of working here he'd my advice and just wait for anything else. They can terminate without cause and their integrity is the lowest I've ever seen in a company. I should have seen the signs. As I was applying for a certain site, their rating kept dropping as a company. Get a job anywhere but here to save on the stress that is definately coming your way if you accept a job here. Also, they'll mess up your first check guaranteed and even after leaving, you won't have much success in getting it corrected. Good luck to anyone ignorant enough to work here. You've been warned.
Pros
Cons
G4S is the con
Definitely not a place to work
Custom Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2019
This company is not stable or and does not act professional. The Supervisor are not informative and can’t help with daily task on a work day. You never get a raise and theirs no room for advancement.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company is sad
Ok Job, Always Understaffed
Upscale Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INApril 21, 2019
High turnover rate with this company means you hardly ever work YOUR schedule. Management can be fairly nosy and want to know every detail about everyone's personal life.
Pros
Self managed
Cons
Not enough employees
Love working for G4S
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  G4SApril 20, 2019
Be on time. Be willing to stay behind. You meet lots of people. Treat everyone with kindness. Keep your notes. This is one job that offers overtime and offers advancement.
Pros
Here on Guam they are very flexible with with scheduling.
Great work environment but...
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 19, 2019
Depending on the contract you get assigned to, there may me little to no advancement in position or pay. The current benefits are absolutely terrible. On a majority of contracts the officers are extremely under paid. I don't know what armed officer will put there life on the line for 11.25/hour...Overall great work environment when you aren't being tasked by the client to perform jobs outside your scope of responsibility.
Pros
high paying contracts, work environment
Cons
Under paid, benifits, job security, loyalty to employees
Poor management
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 19, 2019
Supervisors and managers let all officers do what they want with no repercussions. Very relaxed and undisciplined, also security officers with little to no proper training on carrying a hand gun
Pros
Work inside
Cons
Have very poor management
For your own sake do not work for G4S.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 18, 2019
Lies about pay.
Jerks you around.
Management and supervisors won’t pay you for months.
Unprofessional and disorganized.
They make excuses for everything
Pros
Cons
Lies, disorganized, unprofessional, wont pay you until months, excuses beyond excuses
Bad company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Discover FinancialApril 17, 2019
If you work for the Salt Lake location at a certain Discover company, just quit. They do not treat their people decently. They tell you that even though there are fun activities going on and free food, you are not allowed to touch any of the free food. One time someone offered me hamburgers and I had to turn it down, because security is not allowed to have it. They dont care if you have a doctors note when you call out, they write you up anyway. They (the site bosses) will make fun of you and you are just supposed to take it. I thought all locations were as horrible as that one. After leaving, I found out, that wasn't true at all. They tell you that you cant use your leave, then they tell you it expired when they finally let you use it. They can't keep people at this location and there is a reason for that. If they send you to a card company, just ask for a new site, dont bother with this one and if they have nothing, truely you will be better off without the job.
Pros
ok pay
Cons
horrible treatment, inhumane
Unstable and Irregular
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCApril 15, 2019
You may have some stability for a while only to have it changed drastically on a whim - more duties required for work, rotated to other positions with little notice and often no change in compensation, etc. It is an environment designed and conducive to creating constant turnover in order to keep most of the employees making base pay.
Nice job, just got a bad deal.
Unarmed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 15, 2019
I enjoyed my time on assignment, but was terminated as a result of contract negotiations (At least that’s what I was told). Keep attentive and avoid the many small irritants and the work is a walk.
Pros
Exercise
Cons
High physical responsibility, Shifts require replacement before ending.
Professional
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TX 79936April 13, 2019
Transporting individuals had its responsibilities and stress at times. But overall very satisfying from start to finish. Never a dull moment. No problems, as long as you knew your duties, showed respect towards any and all individuals you came in contact with. Maintaining a professional attitude towards your superiors and your co-workers, helped in your daily performance.
Pros
Received my CDL. Learned to drive a Bus.
Cons
Lack of good equipment
Bad place to work
Contract Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 13, 2019
I got hired on with Wackenhut and had to go through training (not bad, just boring) then got my post. They want prior "Special Operations" personnel or career military/police to be considered for the "armed posts". Low pay, no advancement, management is a joke, uniforms are sub par, they expect you to have spit polished boots while working on a construction site. No advanced training for even the K9 units.
Pros
The initial training class is good and informative
Cons
Everything else
nice working here
Data center Security Officer (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 12, 2019
My first experience working with security. the interesting part was the knowledge gain during the training. i started learning about the constitution of United States.
Pros
team work
Cons
Stock at work if you don't have relieve
Terrible
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Lenoir, NCApril 12, 2019
All I can say is RUN. Stressful workplace, lack of training, and co-workers with terrible attitudes are the main reasons why I left. They will lure you in with $15 per hr., then once you're hired you will find out why they pay as they do. Morale seems to be very bad. This is probably because they pay pretty well for the area, and the officers with families and responsibilities are pretty much stuck. They make it clear from day one that you are replaceable, so don't screw up.
They do offer free food and drinks, which is very nice, however they constantly warn you that you are being watched so make sure to not get too much. The example that I was given was "This ain't Golden Corral."
Pros
Free food, drinks, snacks etc...
Cons
Poor training considering the nature of the work, lots of bad attitudes
Sucks
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAApril 10, 2019
It sucked a lot. Everything sucked. Managers sucked. Employees sucked. Location sucked. Everything was absolute trash. This company is trash. Everything about it is trash.
Unprofessional and uncaring environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Panama City Beach, FloridaApril 9, 2019
The job itself can be simple, depending on your post. However, this company is also fantastic if you're work ethic is terrible. This company will NOT fire anyone. Their solution to handling awful employees is to continually transfer them to different job sites until they quit. Upper management does not seem to care for employees, requiring them to wear thick polyester uniforms and long black pants even in the middle of southern summers. Even when an injury occurs in the presence of upper management, the lack of care shows. The unprofessionalism among upper management and on-site management made the workplace unbearable. However, if you are looking for an easy paycheck with a ridiculous amount of job security and do not care where you are posted, this company is for you.
Pros
They never fire anyone
Cons
Unprofessional management; they never fire anyone
Great Job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHApril 8, 2019
Great job for a summer position. Supervisor was very understanding and trained me well. Pay was good and all the people who worked at the office where very friendly.
Flexable
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75207April 8, 2019
There were multiply work sites and hours available in the Dallas Fort Worth area. The account manager kept everyone informed of any client changes.Overtime was available.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.8K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss